Runners

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LBRod

Re: Runners

Post by LBRod »

Starting to look like a DBT fan there, Clams.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/intervi ... ord-holder

Interview with Beer Mile World Record Holder
James Nielsen ran a 4:57.1 beer mile on April 27.

James Nielsen, of Novato, California, boasts some impressive running credentials. At the University of California San Diego, the 34-year-old Bay Area native and father of two was a two-time NCAA champion in the 5,000 meters. In 2007, he won the Eugene Marathon and qualified for the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials, finishing 50th in New York.

But no record has sparked the kind of attention than the one Nielsen set on Sunday, April 27, when he broke the world record and set the first sub-five-minute time in the beer mile, a perhaps less prestigious (although still extraordinary) feat of athleticism in which a competitor must finish a 12-ounce beer before each of the four laps on a 400-meter track, with penalties for throwing up...

Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's my kind of run.

I've been really getting into trail running this spring. I've dabbled in the past, but my locations always required at least a 40 minute one-way time investment to get to good trails. Now, I can choose between two pretty good dirt trail systems within 20 minutes. I don't know if it's the fact that dirt is easier on your joints, or just the fact that running on narrow dirt trails requires more mental interaction, but I'm just absolutely loving it, and running on city streets just doesn't seem as interesting by comparison. I don't even need headphones when I'm running trails.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Iowan wrote:...or just the fact that running on narrow dirt trails requires more mental interaction...

Yeah. I can get the same buzz from hiking at a good clip on complicated trails. It's like my eyes and brain are making calculations for balance and where my feet need to be 10 yards ahead. Closest I've ever felt to what some call "flow state"

None of that is going on these days though. Baby + Polar Vortex = Windy McWheezy Fat. I'll be needing an O2 tank and Big Gulp cup holder for my fatty scooter soon.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beebs wrote:
Iowan wrote:...or just the fact that running on narrow dirt trails requires more mental interaction...

Yeah. I can get the same buzz from hiking at a good clip on complicated trails. It's like my eyes and brain are making calculations for balance and where my feet need to be 10 yards ahead. Closest I've ever felt to what some call "flow state"

None of that is going on these days though. Baby + Polar Vortex = Windy McWheezy Fat. I'll be needing an O2 tank and Big Gulp cup holder for my fatty scooter soon.

I've definitely got the same thing from hiking too. There are some nice, complicated trails within my hour radius that have lots of cliff-side exposure, and narrow paths for that sort of thing. I like to get a good 1.5-2 hour hike in each week or two as well, with a full pack. My old man and I are going to Colorado in August for a long weekend, so I'm trying to up that training regimen.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Iowan wrote:My old man and I are going to Colorado in August for a long weekend, so I'm trying to up that training regimen.

Nice.

I'm trying to pull together a Ragnar team for this fall. But most of my potential recruits are either intimidated by it or it's not hardcore enough for them.

http://www.ragnarrelay.com/race/adirondacks
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beebs wrote:http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/interview-with-beer-mile-world-record-holder

Interview with Beer Mile World Record Holder
James Nielsen ran a 4:57.1 beer mile on April 27.

James Nielsen, of Novato, California, boasts some impressive running credentials. At the University of California San Diego, the 34-year-old Bay Area native and father of two was a two-time NCAA champion in the 5,000 meters. In 2007, he won the Eugene Marathon and qualified for the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials, finishing 50th in New York.

But no record has sparked the kind of attention than the one Nielsen set on Sunday, April 27, when he broke the world record and set the first sub-five-minute time in the beer mile, a perhaps less prestigious (although still extraordinary) feat of athleticism in which a competitor must finish a 12-ounce beer before each of the four laps on a 400-meter track, with penalties for throwing up...

This is seriously impressive.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beebs wrote:
Iowan wrote:My old man and I are going to Colorado in August for a long weekend, so I'm trying to up that training regimen.

Nice.

I'm trying to pull together a Ragnar team for this fall. But most of my potential recruits are either intimidated by it or it's not hardcore enough for them.

http://www.ragnarrelay.com/race/adirondacks

There's one just up the road from me (Winona to MSP). Looks pretty sweet, but I think that's when we're going to CO.

I can see where that falls into a tough range. It's a bit much for someone who works up to a 5K, but not pushing the needle for the guys into Ultras.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Running season is upon us. Thought I'd revive this old dog, though there's been some good running related talk in the "Other Sports" thread since this one last saw action.

Only news I have is that I just lost out on the registration lottery for the Mount Mitchell Challenge (outside of Asheville, NC). Maybe next year.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I need new running shoes. My trail running has dropped off over the course of the summer, but hopefully I can squeeze some good ones in before harvest. We'll see.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Iowan wrote:I need new running shoes. My trail running has dropped off over the course of the summer, but hopefully I can squeeze some good ones in before harvest. We'll see.
Getting prepped for the Harrisburg Marathon, they changed the course and made it extra flat. Maybe I can qualify for...oh never mind, I'm still too slow.

Iowan, I've been running with Hoka OneOne's, and I love them. A maximulist shoe with a shitload of cushioning (I couldn't do minimulist anymore, my legs were killing me). They make trail running shoes which look kind of interesting.

http://www.hokaoneone.com/mens-trail/

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Gang Green wrote:
Iowan wrote:I need new running shoes. My trail running has dropped off over the course of the summer, but hopefully I can squeeze some good ones in before harvest. We'll see.
Getting prepped for the Harrisburg Marathon, they changed the course and made it extra flat. Maybe I can qualify for...oh never mind, I'm still too slow.

Iowan, I've been running with Hoka OneOne's, and I love them. A maximulist shoe with a shitload of cushioning (I couldn't do minimulist anymore, my legs were killing me). They make trail running shoes which look kind of interesting.

http://www.hokaoneone.com/mens-trail/
Interesting. I've always had good luck with Asics or Saucony, but might check these out.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

does it count that I am a running widower? My wife began 1/2 marathoning 5 years ago and it's become a never-ending thing. She is currently training for a 1/2 at Disney in winter and long-term planning out her first 26.2 next year at the Eugene Marathon. She has also become a coach so between her demanding job, training, and coaching she's always, dare I say, on the run :lol: Payback I suppose for when I made her a golf widow in the mid-90s while she was getting her doctorate.

Last month she finally got to Hayward Field in Eugene. It was for her like it was for me the first time I went to Red Rock, the Greek Theatre, or the Dean Dome
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Clams

Post by Clams »

The last 5 years or so have been a seemingly endless stream of nagging old-man injuries that have prevented me from running consistently, which is a bummer. The last four or five months however have been good, so I'm encouraged for now. I find that as I get older (currently zeroing in on 50) my need for speed has disappeared - I'm happy just to be out there trotting along for 30 or 45 minutes and couldn't give much of a shit about my splits or whether I beat yesterday's time or whatever.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

First snot rockets of the season this morning. Fall is here!

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Clams wrote:First snot rockets of the season this morning. Fall is here!
Transitioning to long sleeve tops, but I do snot rockets year round. Maybe I have a sinus issue.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I'm new to this running business. I launched a fitness kick early this spring and have done a good job of sticking to it. I started with HIIT stuff and over the summer I turned myself into a much leaner, meaner hiking machine. I've been hitting the Catskills pretty hard and did some nice hikes in the Allegheny mts in PA. When I'm unable to get some real hiking in, I've taken to supplementing my HIIT with some trail running in the wooded park near my house. Now, I'm going and getting silly and seriously considering a 25k trail run back where I grew up in Central PA in the spring.

And, I did have my first snot rocket run this morning. Although I did go a bit light, as my back is spasming up pretty fierce this weekend. Thankfully, I'm finding some relief with foam rolling and stretching. That's how I made it out this morning. That, and guilt from the parade candy I gorged on yesterday.

Clams

Post by Clams »

pearlysnaps wrote:I'm new to this running business. I launched a fitness kick early this spring and have done a good job of sticking to it. I started with HIIT stuff and over the summer I turned myself into a much leaner, meaner hiking machine. I've been hitting the Catskills pretty hard and did some nice hikes in the Allegheny mts in PA. When I'm unable to get some real hiking in, I've taken to supplementing my HIIT with some trail running in the wooded park near my house. Now, I'm going and getting silly and seriously considering a 25k trail run back where I grew up in Central PA in the spring.

And, I did have my first snot rocket run this morning. Although I did go a bit light, as my back is spasming up pretty fierce this weekend. Thankfully, I'm finding some relief with foam rolling and stretching. That's how I made it out this morning. That, and guilt from the parade candy I gorged on yesterday.
Never heard of HIIT, had it look up. (Personally I subscribe to SAS - Slow and Steady :lol:). Awesome that you have such good access to the mountains, sounds like you're doing pretty well.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

My HIIT group sessions are generally me and 3-5 women, so I'll forgive that. :D

I'm a bit worried with winter coming up. I think I'll take up some road running to pick up some slack once trails get icy and mountains get too damned cold.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

pearlysnaps wrote:I'm new to this running business. I launched a fitness kick early this spring and have done a good job of sticking to it. I started with HIIT stuff and over the summer I turned myself into a much leaner, meaner hiking machine. I've been hitting the Catskills pretty hard and did some nice hikes in the Allegheny mts in PA. When I'm unable to get some real hiking in, I've taken to supplementing my HIIT with some trail running in the wooded park near my house. Now, I'm going and getting silly and seriously considering a 25k trail run back where I grew up in Central PA in the spring.

First, I new you lived in NY (somewhere near where I grew up), but I didn't know you were from Central PA (where I live now), do tell.

If you're interested in trail running/hiking, check-out the website http://www.donrunsfar.com/. Also, he's on Facebook, where you get more info and can communicate with him.

Don runs far, is Don Halke III, who runs ultra marathrons even after triple bi-pass surgery. He runs organizes two events in the Tuscorara hills in Perry County, Pa, one in late March and another in early August. Both events are about 50K, but they're low key. There are a couple of good runners and then there are the average to below average runners. Don's view on life is, running is fun and we should all be doing it. I'm not sure where he gets the fun thing, but he has a wierd following.

Talk to your HIIT crew, and get your asses down to Perry County. And, if you and Clams would commit to the early August event, you guys could all stay with us in Mechanicsburg.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I'll check that stuff out. thanks!

I grew up in a small town almost dead center in PA, called Renovo. It's a half hour further into the woods from Lock Haven.

The race I'm eyeing is the Hyner View Challenge. I actually got hitched on top of Hyner View. We drove, though.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Gang Green wrote:
Don runs far, is Don Halke III, who runs ultra marathrons even after triple bi-pass surgery. He runs organizes two events in the Tuscorara hills in Perry County, Pa, one in late March and another in early August. Both events are about 50K, but they're low key. There are a couple of good runners and then there are the average to below average runners. Don's view on life is, running is fun and we should all be doing it. I'm not sure where he gets the fun thing, but he has a wierd following.

Talk to your HIIT crew, and get your asses down to Perry County. And, if you and Clams would commit to the early August event, you guys could all stay with us in Mechanicsburg.
Did you just invite me to run a 50k? Dude there is no fucking way in hell... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

pearlysnaps wrote:I'll check that stuff out. thanks!

I grew up in a small town almost dead center in PA, called Renovo. It's a half hour further into the woods from Lock Haven.

The race I'm eyeing is the Hyner View Challenge. I actually got hitched on top of Hyner View. We drove, though.
A little bit of a haul from Mechanicsburg/Lewisberry.

But, check out Don Runs far.

Clams, 50k is only about 30 miles. It would be fun, we'll go to the Troeggs brewery the night before for carb loading, and we hit the trails the next morning.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Beebs wrote:
TW_2.0 wrote:
Lurleen McQueen wrote:Calling all DBT-fan runners. Craig posted on his facebook page requesting ideas for merch. I told them that I would LOVE to have a DBT shirt made out of technical running apparel. Of course, I'm sure that stuff is expensive and he wrote back and said that I was probably the ONLY DBT fan who was a runner/fitness fanatic. It may not be worth their time/money at all, but just out of curiousity - how many of you would buy a DBT shirt made out of running material - what size and how much would you be willing to pay?
Large (would probably buy a couple)

I'd pay up to $30 per shirt if it were DBT
I'd buy one. Large.

I'd about kill for a DBT cycling jersey. Both the trail running and cyclocross communities are very beer swilling/rock listening groups. Wouldn't be surprised if we've a few more active compatriots than we think.
i have a Wedding Present cycling shirt (Sea Monsters design, UK cover)

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Bump.

Spring is pretty much here. How's it going? Any interesting aspirations or events in your future?

I got surprised by an email the other morning telling me I got a spot in an ultra I've been trying for, off and on, for over a decade. So I'm filling up the season around it to see if I can hurt myself this year. So far I've got a (all trail) 45K in May and a 55K in July. If I survive, maybe the VT50 in September. Probably not, but we'll see.

http://www.taconichikingclub.org/end-to ... nge-2014-1

http://www.wakelydamultra.com

http://vermont50.blogspot.com

Also, Eye of the Tiger is on auto loop inside my head.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've been hitting the trails, working off the hibernation excess (I biked stationary all winter, but just ate too much junk food/beer per usual).

Got this coming up on Saturday:
http://www.active.com/cresco-ia/running ... -stew-2016

It's a St. Pat's themed 5K in the town where I live. The fire department (I'm a volunteer firefighter) is the big recipient of the funds, and this year they've added the Fireman's Challenge, where you run the 5K in full firefighting gear, including an air pack. It's close to 50 extra pounds. I'm looking forward to it, but it's going to be much tougher than the typical drunken 5K.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

The mrs signed us up for a 5K in the Bronx Zoo the end of April. I haven't been running much, but was able to hike hard throughout the winter. I need to get running again before this 5k....

I think I'll be volunteering for a half-marathon trail run in the Catskills in early June that my friend is organizing. It's part of the Long Path series.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beebs wrote:Bump.

Spring is pretty much here. How's it going? Any interesting aspirations or events in your future?

I got surprised by an email the other morning telling me I got a spot in an ultra I've been trying for, off and on, for over a decade. So I'm filling up the season around it to see if I can hurt myself this year. So far I've got a (all trail) 45K in May and a 55K in July. If I survive, maybe the VT50 in September. Probably not, but we'll see.

http://www.taconichikingclub.org/end-to ... nge-2014-1

http://www.wakelydamultra.com

http://vermont50.blogspot.com

Also, Eye of the Tiger is on auto loop inside my head.
That Taconic Hiking Club event sounds like something I could at least finish. I've done 22 miles and 6500 feet in a day before and that was between 7,700 and 14,200 feet.

I think I could maintain 2.5 MPH. That would put me in with last year's stragglers.

Clams

Post by Clams »

My running's been going GREAT for almost a year now. Consistently ran 4 to 5+ miles three or four times a week through the fall and winter and I'm feeling great. Dropped 10 lbs since last summer too. I'm not much for races these days but I do have a couple of local ones (a 5k and a 5M) coming up next month. With the warmer weather I've been doing some biking lately too, mostly commuting to work and short rides. In fact I've got a new bike on the horizon - really looking forward to that, it'll be my first new bike in almost 30 years (even though the old one's still in pretty good shape).

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Iowan wrote:That Taconic Hiking Club event sounds like something I could at least finish. I've done 22 miles and 6500 feet in a day before and that was between 7,700 and 14,200 feet.

I think I could maintain 2.5 MPH. That would put me in with last year's stragglers.
Yeah, definitely. The trick is staying on your feet. A lot of the real steep sections are broken shale so when you go down you get cut up pretty good. I think lots of folks drop out at the last checkpoint not because they can't finish but because they're demoralized by the shredded palms and knees.
Clams wrote:In fact I've got a new bike on the horizon
I just talked myself out of a substantial mtb upgrade. Whatcha got planned Clams?
Beebs is not a ragey man