Runners

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gang Green

Re: Runners

Post by Gang Green »

I wish I had a DBT shirt for this weekend's marathon. But, I would take a double extra large shirt. I'd pay $20 for warm weather gear or $40 for cold weather gear. Give or take a few dollars.

sideburn

Post by sideburn »

I would order short or long. I have run some races recently with low entry fees and received tech tees. Don't remember the brand, but they must be fairly inexpensive for director to be able to put on race, pay timing company and supply the shirts.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Calling all DBT-fan runners. Craig posted on his facebook page requesting ideas for merch. I told them that I would LOVE to have a DBT shirt made out of technical running apparel. Of course, I'm sure that stuff is expensive and he wrote back and said that I was probably the ONLY DBT fan who was a runner/fitness fanatic. It may not be worth their time/money at all, but just out of curiousity - how many of you would buy a DBT shirt made out of running material - what size and how much would you be willing to pay?

Large (would probably buy a couple)

I'd pay up to $30 per shirt if it were DBT
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

TW_2.0 wrote:
Lurleen McQueen wrote:Calling all DBT-fan runners. Craig posted on his facebook page requesting ideas for merch. I told them that I would LOVE to have a DBT shirt made out of technical running apparel. Of course, I'm sure that stuff is expensive and he wrote back and said that I was probably the ONLY DBT fan who was a runner/fitness fanatic. It may not be worth their time/money at all, but just out of curiousity - how many of you would buy a DBT shirt made out of running material - what size and how much would you be willing to pay?

Large (would probably buy a couple)

I'd pay up to $30 per shirt if it were DBT

I'd buy one. Large.

I'd about kill for a DBT cycling jersey. Both the trail running and cyclocross communities are very beer swilling/rock listening groups. Wouldn't be surprised if we've a few more active compatriots than we think.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

i'd definitely be interested in a medium. $30ish seems fair, but i'd pay a little more if the quality of the material was high.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Create an athletic shirt to raise money for Nuci's Space. Don't they have a 5k or something during homecoming? Then they could offer the shirts to everybody. Just brain storming, here.

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Gang Green wrote:Don't they have a 5k or something during homecoming?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope - that's just kind of been a joke. I've run before with Penny Lane and Dave, but usually everyone is too hungover to do any real running. MarkLynn and Big Tom always joke about running to Popeye's, but they never show up in the lobby with their running shoes on. Maybe if we made it a Beer Run and required participants to chug a beer every mile...hmmmm :roll:
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:

Nope - that's just kind of been a joke. I've run before with Penny Lane and Dave, but usually everyone is too hungover to do any real running. MarkLynn and Big Tom always joke about running to Popeye's, but they never show up in the lobby with their running shoes on. Maybe if we made it a Beer Run and required participants to chug a beer every mile...hmmmm :roll:

The sport of Running and drinking was discussed earlier in the thread. There seemed to be a few experts, the Iowan in particular. Maybe your on to something.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Gang Green wrote:
Lurleen McQueen wrote:

The sport of Running and drinking was discussed earlier in the thread. There seemed to be a few experts, the Iowan in particular. Maybe your on to something.

Lets be a little more judicious with that term "expert". Plus, it sounds like Beebs is more on the up and up these days.

Although I plan on having a bloody mary before this on Saturday:
http://www.fitnesssports.com/November_r ... 131CD4.pdf

Me and a couple buddies have a bet on this one too. Basically, the losers owe the winner a 6er.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

i'm a runner. i'd buy one. large.

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:

i'm a runner. i'd buy one. large.

Count me in for one as well. Maybe even two

Clams

Post by Clams »

acoxofrd wrote:
Count me in for one as well. Maybe even two

me too
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

harleywood wrote:
Gang Green wrote:
harleywood wrote:Cheers for good wishes.

4 hrs 15 min 54 seconds. Position 7,443 out of 14,500! Cruising until mile 18, faded away very badly then, not sure if I "hit the wall", but my body seized up & last 8 were a awful struggle, I was crying at a couple of stages. Had 8 pints of beer & couple whiskey's to celebrate after & paid the price y/day as was getting sick all day! Wont be doing it again, once & once only, Ill keep up running but not to that extent.

Jack White tonight, was sensible & bought seated tickets as mobility is not what it normally would be.

Congratulations, I'll be running my first ever marathon in two weeks. I'm shooting for the time you got. But, now I'm scared as I've never run more than 18 miles, but I did it twice and it was grueling. I do plan to have a few martinis after the race. But, that wall scares me.

I ran 18 miles exactly 4 weeks beforehand, 20 miles 3 weeks beforehand - (then nothing for two weeks). So it seems we both have similar preperation with the long runs. And I hit the finishing line so no doubt you can.

If you can follow a pacer - do. I started in wave 2 in my race. But the pacer I wanted to follow was at the start of wave 3, so I was running too fast, almost unknown to myself, getting caught up in the eurphoria of it all! Be more sensible than me & you'll have an easier ride than me. Just my two cent.

Keep us updated!!

Finished the Harrisburg Marathon yesterday at 4:01:25 which placed me 734 among 1514 finishers and 45 in my age group (50 to 54). Essentially, I made all the same mistakes you did (except for the 8 pints and whiskey). I got caught-up in the atmosphere and was running a faster pace than I should have, though I was feeling good and thinking I was going to break 4 hours. Then, just like you, my body locked up between 17 and 18 miles which just happened to be the toughest part of the course. The last 6 miles were a living hell. I did have a beer followed by a martini in the late afternoon and felt fine except I could bearly move. I'm thankful I didn't have a Jack White concert to attend. I just veged out to the NFL RedZone and watched the Jets stink-up the joint. I may try another marathon some day, but I'll have to think hard on that.

However, the atmosphere was definitely super charged, more so than usual for Harrisburg, as almost 1,000 runners from the New York Metropolitan Area who intended to run the New York Marathon showed-up for Harrisburg, and these runners dominated the winners circle. They had there most runners ever and registration actually closed two days before the race. Check out this article from the Harrisburg Patriot News:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... rt_m-rpt-2

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Congrats G Squared! Well done!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Congrats GG! That's an awesome time regardless of your meltdown. I hallucinated at mile 24 my first one and was trying to convince my cousin that there were pins in my shoe, i was sobbing. They say treat it as a 20 mile warm-up and then you're race is a 10K. But seriously, that is awesome. You should be really proud.

My dad ran a marathon in Black Lick, PA yesterday morning? I think it was really small and on trails but had never heard of it. (Indiana, PA?) We had a cross country meet there in college but I can't remember the school.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Thanks, BTB and PL for the compliments. Harrisburg is a pretty fast/flat track, you guys should try it next year.

Penny, you're probably refering to IUP (Indiana University of Pennsylvania), which is a popular state school among native Pennsylvanians. That's the only school I can think of in Indiana County. Great story about your hallucinations. I was hurting, but not quite that bad. I was just thinking how time was moving real slow. I thought an hour had passed after mile marker 20 and that, clearly, I was nearing the home stretch, then I saw mile marker 21.

harleywood

Post by harleywood »

Well done Gang Green. Damn mean time too. Fair play.

redstains

Post by redstains »

put me down for a large! i'd go $30.

i was just thinking how ugly most athletic shirts are and how i'd love to have a dbt running shirt!

i say let's start a petition.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

I'd have interest. $25-30 is good.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Just picked these up. Feel great and completely compliment my stride/gait. Had my best run today in months. I felt like I could go forever but stopped at 4 miles. No fatigue in my left hip and leg at all. I have too much suppination in my left foot due to a UGA tailgating ankle twist in 2010. ;) :? I think things are finally getting better with exercises plus these new shoes. No effort at all to keep my left foot straight. Awesome strike.

That's all folks. The little things in life.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Erdlivz wrote:Image

Just picked these up. Feel great and completely compliment my stride/gait. Had my best run today in months. I felt like I could go forever but stopped at 4 miles. No fatigue in my left hip and leg at all. I have too much suppination in my left foot due to a UGA tailgating ankle twist in 2010. ;) :? I think things are finally getting better with exercises plus these new shoes. No effort at all to keep my left foot straight. Awesome strike.

That's all folks. The little things in life.

That's my ride. Love em.

A little breezy now that the mornings are 20F though. Gotta get hooked up with something for the snow soon.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

That's my ride. Love em.

A little breezy now that the mornings are 20F though. Gotta get hooked up with something for the snow soon.

I'm impressed with these so far. I've made some poor decisions with Nike, Adidas and Under Armour shoes because I can get a break in price at work. Never again. Quality stuff here.

What kind of outdoor/winter shoes are you looking to grab?

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Erdlivz wrote:What kind of outdoor/winter shoes are you looking to grab?

Maybe something like the Salomon Spikecross. Gotta try some on though. Hoping for a good winter this year that will justify something like this.

Then again, if it really turns out to be a good winter maybe I should keep my runs indoors on the track and just ski outdoors.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Lurleen is back. I'm registered and have been training for the Turkey Day 8k. While all the rest of you HeAthens are snoozing soundly or basting turkeys or whatever it is you do at 4:00 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day, I'll be up getting ready to run my first REAL race in quite a while. It's not a half or whole, but it's good enough for me for now.

Yippee. They used to give away fried turkeys to the age group winners, but the race got so big that they couldn't fry enough turkeys that morning for all the winners.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Maybe something like the Salomon Spikecross. Gotta try some on though. Hoping for a good winter this year that will justify something like this.

Awesome. I need to run outside more, especially during winter. I'm definitely looking into some winter shoes. Too much of the dreadmill lately, but it fits my schedule and is next door to work.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

This thread is an inspiration. I've been running for about 3 weeks now and just finally cracked 2 miles today. The thought of doing that 13 times back to back is totally unthinkable to me. Hats off to you long distance runners.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Duke Silver wrote:This thread is an inspiration. I've been running for about 3 weeks now and just finally cracked 2 miles today. The thought of doing that 13 times back to back is totally unthinkable to me. Hats off to you long distance runners.

Embrace your inner Ron Swanson and imagine yourself racing a bear to a pile of fragrant grilled meats.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Beebs wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:This thread is an inspiration. I've been running for about 3 weeks now and just finally cracked 2 miles today. The thought of doing that 13 times back to back is totally unthinkable to me. Hats off to you long distance runners.

Embrace your inner Ron Swanson and imagine yourself racing a bear to a pile of fragrant grilled meats.

Totally unrealistic scenario. Ron would stop to kill the bear, turning it into a second pile of fragrant meats.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Lurleen is back. I'm registered and have been training for the Turkey Day 8k. While all the rest of you HeAthens are snoozing soundly or basting turkeys or whatever it is you do at 4:00 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day, I'll be up getting ready to run my first REAL race in quite a while. It's not a half or whole, but it's good enough for me for now.

Yippee. They used to give away fried turkeys to the age group winners, but the race got so big that they couldn't fry enough turkeys that morning for all the winners.

Good luck, and have fun, but I am concerned. I hope someone will be basting and stuffing your turkey, particularly if you're not getting one of those fried turkeys.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Duke Silver wrote:
Beebs wrote:

Totally unrealistic scenario. Ron would stop to kill the bear, turning it into a second pile of fragrant meats.

You're so right. I'll just shut up.
Beebs is not a ragey man