Runners

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Re: Runners

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Gang Green wrote:
Lurleen McQueen wrote:Lurleen is back. I'm registered and have been training for the Turkey Day 8k. While all the rest of you HeAthens are snoozing soundly or basting turkeys or whatever it is you do at 4:00 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day, I'll be up getting ready to run my first REAL race in quite a while. It's not a half or whole, but it's good enough for me for now.

Yippee. They used to give away fried turkeys to the age group winners, but the race got so big that they couldn't fry enough turkeys that morning for all the winners.

Good luck, and have fun, but I am concerned. I hope someone will be basting and stuffing your turkey, particularly if you're not getting one of those fried turkeys.

Well, I've never cooked a turkey in my life, unless deli turkey for a sammich counts. TC's Mom is making the turkey. Last year, I did make my grandmother's cornbread dressing - which is a two-day affair, but this year, I am making a butternut squash dish. That's it. Roasting the squash tonight. I'll finish the dish after the Turkey Race and then run to the airport to get TC and then on to his Mom's.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

week 1 in the can. 36 to go
Beebs is not a ragey man

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Beebs wrote:Image

Good luck, we're talking running, biking, swimming as well as drinking? You are the man.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Gang Green wrote:
Beebs wrote:Image

Good luck, we're talking running, biking, swimming as well as drinking? You are the man.

I think technically that would be a QUADRATHLON
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I'm now seriously considering completing a triathlon drunk

YOLO biyatches
Beebs is not a ragey man

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

i was in a 50 mile trail race one year and i drank a few beers around the half way point. helped me up the mountain

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I realize its only a 5k, but I plan on being drunk throughout this entire race, as well as shortly after:
http://www.active.com/running/cresco-ia ... -stew-2013

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:i was in a 50 mile trail race one year and i drank a few beers around the half way point. helped me up the mountain

Carbs, hydration, a little analgesic effect... makes sense to me.

PS: regarding 50 milers, you're bat shit crazy wolf.

Iowan wrote:I realize its only a 5k, but I plan on being drunk throughout this entire race, as well as shortly after:

Remember Iowan, it doesn't count if your not still drunk at the finish so ya gotta be REALLY loaded at the start. That's straight out of the drunk runners code of conduct.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beebs wrote:
Lone Wolf1 wrote:i was in a 50 mile trail race one year and i drank a few beers around the half way point. helped me up the mountain

Carbs, hydration, a little analgesic effect... makes sense to me.

PS: regarding 50 milers, you're bat shit crazy wolf.

Iowan wrote:I realize its only a 5k, but I plan on being drunk throughout this entire race, as well as shortly after:

Remember Iowan, it doesn't count if your not still drunk at the finish so ya gotta be REALLY loaded at the start. That's straight out of the drunk runners code of conduct.

Strategic beers will be placed along the route to maintain the buzz.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

drinkers with a running problem

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"Strategic beers."

Now there's a phrase that's just got to have legs, tho I haven't quite figured out how/what.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:"Strategic beers."

Now there's a phrase that's just got to have legs, tho I haven't quite figured out how/what.

I've also been known to use decoy beers. A special subset of strategic beers.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:"Strategic beers."

I've also been known to use decoy beers. A special subset of strategic beers.

Decoy beers would be useful if you were going drunk hunting.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Add "still drunk from last night pool laps" to my resume. I think it actually improved my form.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I was drunk at the start of the race yesterday and still beat all my buddies.

Bunch of chumps and suckers.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Anyone heard of this event? Apparently the goal is to run as many miles as possible in a 6-day period. It's been held at a park in Flushing Meadows, Queens, since the 1870s.

The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Bill in CT wrote:Anyone heard of this event? Apparently the goal is to run as many miles as possible in a 6-day period. It's been held at a park in Flushing Meadows, Queens, since the 1870s.

Why are you asking? Are you planning to participate? If you do this, I'll join you. What do you say?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Gang Green wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:Anyone heard of this event? Apparently the goal is to run as many miles as possible in a 6-day period. It's been held at a park in Flushing Meadows, Queens, since the 1870s.

Why are you asking? Are you planning to participate? If you do this, I'll join you. What do you say?

I say I will come and cheer on you and any other 3dd runners who participate. I'm not a runner so won't enter.
I just posted because it sounded interesting. Instead of most races which are a defined length, this is a defined time.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Have my 2nd ever Half-Marathon in about a month. The Rock n Roll in Denver.

Shooting for a sub-2 hour time.

Who knew that about 18 months after starting this thread, I'd be about to complete my 2nd half. Never thought I'd be a "runner"
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Clams

Post by Clams »

Nice to see this thread come back, I've been meaning to bump it.

I'm making my way back from yet another injury (being 47 sucks). But knock on wood, it's going good right now. The only negative is that I have to wake up at 4:30am :shock: to have enough time to run, cool down and shower before it's time to get everyone up and ready for school. But I've got a spiffy new pair of New Balances, the weather's perfect and I'm feelin' good. Hopefully it'll continue.

Btw, apologies if you were awoken at about 5:15am the other day by someone running down your street screaming "SWEAT PISS JIZZ BLOOD" at the top of their lungs :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Yes, marathon season is upon us. Did the Harrisburg Half a few weeks ago, and will run the Harrisburg Marathon in November again. I guess I forgot how miserable I was during that race last year. Maybe this senility thing is working out after all.

Clams, the Philly Marathon is still open, you should give that a go. Way back when I was 47 and my kids were still kids, mornings were the only time I could run. I usually don't sing and run at the same time, but, if I hear Ronnie and Neil or Devil Don't Stay, I will engage in a little air drumming which doesn't look quite right to the average on looker, especially on a Navy base.

TW, good luck with your half, let us know if you hit the magic mark of under 2 hours. I'm sorry, not "if".

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Finished the 1/2 yesterday.

2:01:06 official time

DAMNIT

Thought I would be sub-2 hours, but still 4 minutes faster than last year. It was 40-degrees out, too.

I'll take it.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Clams

Post by Clams »

TW_2.0 wrote:Finished the 1/2 yesterday.

2:01:06 official time

DAMNIT

Thought I would be sub-2 hours, but still 4 minutes faster than last year. It was 40-degrees out, too.

I'll take it.

Way to go TW.

I've been running around 4 times a week and feeling great. Definitely not setting any PR's but right now I'm so happy just being out there. I did a 5k last weekend and I've got a couple more shorter races on the radar. I started using Runkeeper on my phone - I'm hoping that the app will get me running faster and being more competitive with myself. I also splurged (used my fantasy baseball winnings!) on a set of Jaybird bluetooth earbuds - they sound great and it's totally cool to be wireless. Amazing how new gear can help to motivate.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I'll be out of commission for awhile, I pulled my hamstring trying to improve my mile time about a month ago. I'm going to shoot for some spring marathons.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Gang Green wrote:I'll be out of commission for awhile, I pulled my hamstring trying to improve my mile time about a month ago. I'm going to shoot for some spring marathons.

I hate to break this to ya, GG, but guys your age (a) don't run the mile and (b) do not improve their mile time. Because if they tried they'd probably pull a hammy. Luckily spring is just around the corner. Right after pitchers and catchers report.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

beantownbubba wrote:
Gang Green wrote:I'll be out of commission for awhile, I pulled my hamstring trying to improve my mile time about a month ago. I'm going to shoot for some spring marathons.

I hate to break this to ya, GG, but guys your age (a) don't run the mile and (b) do not improve their mile time. Because if they tried they'd probably pull a hammy. Luckily spring is just around the corner. Right after pitchers and catchers report.

Your right, I should know better, chalk it up to mid-life crises or mid to late life crises. And worse, I kept running for three weeks even after I pulled the hammy thinking the pain would magically disapear. Stubborn and stupid, that's me, but what a great song title. I can't get exited about pitchers and catchers with Matt Harvey on the shelf next year.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Did about 4 miles about 10:00 this morning. Was about 27° with wind gusts up to 35. Brutal.

Clams

Post by Clams »

5k in the snow. First time I ever did a race in the snow. Fucking cold! Soundtrack: Welfare Music (live and plugged in) to start, Windfall as I crossed the finish line. Now sipping a victory storm king and watching football.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What's that on your face? Sleet?

Oh yeah: Congratulations!

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:What's that on your face? Sleet?

barnacles