Runners

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: Runners

Post by Clams »

I like that there's crossover bw this thread and the drinking thread.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beebs wrote:
Clams wrote:In fact I've got a new bike on the horizon
I just talked myself out of a substantial mtb upgrade. Whatcha got planned Clams?
Sirrus Sport Disc
(will be pimped out with a rack and fenders)

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

We finished the 5K at 36:15 in our full fire gear. I knew that a walk pace (4MPH) would be a 45 minute time, so we were able to stay running pretty much the whole time. Normal 5K for me is 23-25 minutes.

My feet hurt pretty bad though. Just throwing on an extra 50 lbs is no joke.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Iowan wrote:We finished the 5K at 36:15 in our full fire gear. I knew that a walk pace (4MPH) would be a 45 minute time, so we were able to stay running pretty much the whole time. Normal 5K for me is 23-25 minutes.

My feet hurt pretty bad though. Just throwing on an extra 50 lbs is no joke.
That sounds fairly miserable. I'm hoping there were finish line beers at least.
Beebs is not a ragey man

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

http://barkleymovie.com/

Just checked this out on Netflix and made me think of some of you guys. I've done a lot of crazy races on mountain bikes, 12 hrs & 24 hr solo and team type stuff, but this makes all of that look like a downhill 5k :shock:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

https://www.facebook.com/DriftlessDiscoveryTrailRun/

Next event. Torn on the 5K or 10K. I can complete the 10, but that's at a time of year where there's still a shot I'd be in the field and would miss the run, and it's a little more cash down the drain.

Tell me I'm being a bitch, so I sign up for the 10K.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

so inching ever so closer to my wife's first full marathon this Sunday in Eugene. She's run more 13.1s than I can count in the last 5-6 years but this is the first swing at the 26.2. So it's pretty much all running all the time in the house at the moment. I shared this with her and thought it worth passing on

12-Year-Old Girl Accidentally Runs Half-Marathon
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Turns out Will Johnson (Centro-Matic) is a trail runner.

https://www.facebook.com/willjohnsonmusic/?fref=nf

From his Facebook page:

A Prayer For The Middle-Aged, Mexican Food-Addicted Trail Runner - A First Time 50K Training Plan.
Over the last few years I've fallen back into a pretty deep and savage affair with trail running. I used to run and race a lot as a kid, fell away from it as a teenager, lost time for it in college, rediscovered it in my twenties, and had on again/off again goes with it through my thirties. I'm not running as fast as I used to, but I'm more disciplined about it now, logging more monthly and yearly miles than before. I make up for this by eating a lot of Mexican food, barbecue, and drinking gallons of beer. I've found some helpful training plans here and there, and have drawn from them. I've also found some that I don't believe a working, family person could have time for. You'll see a lot of Off Days in mine, where more serious, proper runners would be training. I may get to the finer elements of a training plan one day, but probably not. I don't do timed sprint drills or track work. I have not experimented with the Fraioli circuit or worked with a personal trainer. I looked up the definition of "fartlek", but did not work it into my routine. Instead I played the audio sample a few times and giggled like a clove-buzzed fifteen-year old. Do that. I don't do time on a stationary bike, and I don't cross train. I'm also not winning trophies, but that's not why I run.
Getting back to some sort of routine, I fast found that the therapy of trail running was both physical and mental. The simple act of running in the woods came to feel as needed as oxygen or music to me, particularly during the time of my mother's illness and her eventual passing. Our band had also broken up around that time, and I found myself filling the void that was once the physical release of a rock show with trail running. It's church in its way; a welcome break from anything with a screen, steering wheel or volume knob, and it's become a way that's helped me cope with phases of depression.
I spent most of 2012 through 2014 running three to five times a week with no specific goals in mind. I ran when I wanted to, and didn't run when I didn't want to. I still live by that rule, but at the start of 2015 I figured I'd aim for my first race in about twenty years. I'd piled up a lot of miles and wanted to see how I measured up against other folks in a formal setting. I wanted to see if I could at least finish respectably, and I needed something new to get nervous about. At the end of February I signed up a 25K trail race just outside of Smithville, TX. I had about five weeks more to train. I was logging 8-10 mile long runs, and was on schedule to be ready for the 15.5 miles of trails the race offered.
I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but still placed 16th overall out of 79. The whole experience was enough to seduce me into thinking about more. I liked the camaraderie out there. I liked the simple, primitive movement of running loose through the woods for hours with a bunch of likeminded folks I'd never met. Like a living room show, there was a quiet sense of community amongst strangers. The communication and support amongst the runners was something positive to me.
I took a break, went on tour, fell out of my routine, then got back to it once summer came around. I wasn't logging huge miles, but was getting somewhere between 85-120 per month. I put a record out, went on tour, and pretty well lost my grip again come Fall. Once all the holidays had cleared, I set my sights on logging my first 50K. I figured I'd document the lead up to it.
To some folks I know, running a 50K is about as tough as making a pot of coffee. Others of us have gotta work at it. I admire anyone that's getting after it, whether they're running their 7th 100-miler or their first 5K. We've all got our life shit to deal with, and respect is key. People do this at very different rates and paces, at all different ages, for many different reasons. I remember learning that quickly during the time of my first races.
I looked over a few training plans. I didn't stick to them religiously, but used the distances and times and dates as a rough guideline. I took the weekly long run mileages the most seriously.
Touring, work, and life's general inertia can naturally derail holding to a training plan. There's gonna be times when you have to shuffle the routine or miss a long run. You can't hold yourself to the fire about it. Touring is about 90% of my social life, and I like to hang out and throw down every once in a while. I like to eat a bunch of eggs in the morning with old friends I haven't seen in years. "Yeah.. sorry to interrupt this great hang. Can you excuse me so I can go get a two-hour run in in white out blizzard conditions?".
Shit no.
So, more power to the one that can wake up in the middle of a tour and get psyched about a long run day in Milwaukee when it's 8 degrees out.
There will also be inevitable aches and pains, particularly in the beginning weeks. Trust your body and know that not all aches and pains are serious.
A good foundation to start with here would be at least being able to run a 10K comfortably. I started this plan after almost two months off, a lot of comfort food freak outs, and traditional Bowl Season laziness. I did a couple runs in early January just to get back in the motion of things, then got down to the ramp up.
Here's the way it unfurled. It may not be the thing, but it's something. If it helps just one person out toward a first-time 50K goal, then that's cool with me.
1/11 - Long Run Day. 10 miles trail, meditative/slow pace.
1/12 - Off.
1/13 - 6.2 miles trail, moderate pace.
1/14 - Off.
1/15 - 8.0 miles trail, moderate pace.
1/16 - 6.2 miles road, moderate pace.
1/17 - 7.0 miles road, meditative/slow pace.
1/18 - Off.
1/19 - Long Run Day. 13.1 miles trail, moderate pace.
1/20 - Off.
1/21 - 10.0 miles trail, moderate pace.
1/22 - 6.2 miles trail, meditative/slow pace.
1/23 - Off/Cross Train (Short hike)
1/24 - Off.
1/25 - Long Run Day. 15.5 miles trail w/ hills, moderate pace.
1/26 - Off.
1/27 - 8.0 miles road, moderate pace.
1/28 - 10.0 miles trail, moderate pace.
1/29 - 2/4: Off/Studio.
2/5 - 10.0 miles trail, moderate pace.
2/6 - Off.
2/7 - Hike 3 miles.
2/8 - Long Run Day. 20.0 miles trail, moderate pace.
2/9 - Off.
2/10 - 6.2 miles treadmill.
2/11 - 14: Off/Tour
2/15 - 10 miles trail moderate pace.
2/16 - 21: Off/Tour.
2/22 - 14 miles trail/road moderate pace.
2/23 - Off.
2/24 - Off.
2/25 - Off.
2/26 - 10 miles trail meditative/slow pace.
2/27 - Off. (This is about the time I find out the 50K race I've been
training for and have made time for, will not be held this year. I
fail to find another Spring time 50K nearby that I can participate in,
mostly due to calendar conflicts. Bummed out, but I'm six weeks in
and decide to stick with the plan anyway.)
2/28 - Off.
2/29 - Long run day. 22 miles trail meditative/slow pace.
3/1 - Off.
3/2 - Off.
3/3 - 6.0 miles road moderate pace.
3/4 - 10.0 miles trail meditative/slow pace.
3/5 - Off.
3/6 - Off.
3/7 - Long run day. 20 miles trail, slow and painful. Easily the most uninspiring of the ramp-up. Right foot swollen, in pain.
Limp to car.
3/8 - 14: Off/Stretches every day to try and rehab feet and legs.
3/15 - Long Run Day. 13.75 miles trail slow/cautious pace.
3/16 - Off.
3/17 - Off.
3/18 - 10 miles trail race pace.
3/19 - Off.
3/20 - Off.
3/21 - Off.
3/22 - Long Run Day. 16 miles trail race pace (PR 13.1).
3/23 - Off.
3/24 - Off.
3/25 - 6.2 miles trail moderate pace.
3/26 - Off.
3/27 - 10.5 miles road moderate pace.
3/28 - 30: Off/Studio.
3/31 - Off.
4/1 - Off.
4/2 - 10.0 miles trail moderate pace.
4/3 - Off.
4/4 - 4/8: Off/Studio.
4/9 - Off.
4/10 - Off.
4/11 - 10.0 miles trail meditative/slow pace.
4/12 - Off.
4/13 - 8.0 miles trail meditative/slow pace.
4/14 - Off.
4/15 - Long Run Day. 18.0 miles. The wall is real. I hit it,
particularly from mile 14 onward.
4/16 - Off.
4/17 - Off.
4/18 - Off.
4/19 - Off.
4/20 - Long Run Day. Run 50K/31 miles trail. 5:04:34.
I didn't plan to do this distance on this day, especially after such a shitty and uninspiring outing a few days ago. But the weather was right, I had time, and I felt good. Around mile 22 I reasoned that there'd never be a better time or situation in which to see this 50K goal through. The first 25 miles of this run were for the most part joyous. The last 6 miles were not joyous. I used the car as an aid station, and my routing allowed me to stop there at the end of every ten miles, refuel on food and hydration, then tack on an extra mile at the end.
I still can't accurately figure out what to expect from long run to long run. With this experience there have been shorter runs that feel like work, then longer runs that feel pretty effortless. I think it's more about having the furniture in one's head arranged in a good way. I tend to believe this type of endeavor is mostly a mental thing, and that's part of the mystery that keeps me coming back. Just grateful for some time on the trails, ultimately.
Happy running (before the heat swallows us all..).
-Will Johnson, May 2016
Beebs is not a ragey man

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:so inching ever so closer to my wife's first full marathon this Sunday in Eugene. She's run more 13.1s than I can count in the last 5-6 years but this is the first swing at the 26.2. So it's pretty much all running all the time in the house at the moment.
How did it go?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:so inching ever so closer to my wife's first full marathon this Sunday in Eugene. She's run more 13.1s than I can count in the last 5-6 years but this is the first swing at the 26.2. So it's pretty much all running all the time in the house at the moment.
How did it go?
Success! She was pretty slow but that was always what she expected. Finished really close to the total time she expected. All in all it couldn't have gone much better. Turns out the course was nowhere near as flat as her group had been lead to believe, turns out there is something called "Oregon flat" in the running community. Heard that phrase a lot over the weekend

Not sure if she will run any more 26.2, but if she does I imagine it will be a good while. She is gonna take some time off to recover, this will likely be the first week without any running since I cannot remember......... and I have to admit, it's kinda nice

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I'm planning to run a 50K trail race near Blaine, PA in the Tuscarora State Forrest on 30 July 16. I've mentioned this run previously on 3DD, and if you enjoy a challenging yet low key trail running event, you might enjoy this. I understand there are some pretty tough hills, and you have to treat this run as combination hike and run. Also, you may have to contend with bears and rattlesnakes. But, there are some of the biggest and oldest trees in PA. The race is organized by Don Halke, ultra runner guru, with a bad heart. I would love to be joined by a few of you 3DD runners. Plus, he does offer short cuts, which I'm thinking of taking advantage of. For more info, check the link below:

http://www.donrunsfar.com/index.html

whatwouldcooleydo?

you know you're married to a runner when (1) she is watching the New York Marathon, and (2) you recognize the names of all the elite runners :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I was already feeling pretty bad about my current physical state. Now this.

Maybe a box of Ho Hos will make me feel better...
Beebs is not a ragey man

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

^^^^^^^^
Read about those before. Fucking brutal.

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

There's a great documentary on the Barkley Marathons on Netflix. The founder seems like he's got quite a sadistic sense of humor.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

pearlysnaps wrote:The founder seems like he's got quite a sadistic sense of humor.
There's an article in the current edition of Trail Runner about one of Laz's other events - Big's Backyard Ultra.

It's basically a 4 mile loop on his property, last runner standing wins. Runners have to be back at the starting line every 90 minutes. If you loop fast, you get time for food and a nap. Loop slow and no break. Last guy on his feet has to do a final loop solo and wins. Goes on for days and days.
Beebs is not a ragey man

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

That's awesome. The dude sure knows how to amuse himself while watching others voluntarily torture themselves.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams

Post by Clams »

That moment when you're running and you're sooooo happy to hear that opening chord of Powderfinger through your earbuds, only it turns out to be the opening chord to Mother Earth (Natural Anthem) instead. :cry:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I wasn’t sure of the best place to post this question. I found an Old “Athens Running” thread, and I apparently intended to run during my first homecoming. That never happened, although I do usually hit the workout room at whatever hotel in which I’m staying during HC. I posted in the Athens running thread, but I moved my post once I found this thread!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had experienced plantar facitis; it hurts like crazy, and I’m ready to return to running, but I’m terrified of aggravating things further. I am seeing a podiatrist and am on Meloxicam/Mobic and have had a shot (steroid, I think) in my foot. The more I read about the side effects of Mobic the more freaked out I get.

I have an elliptical at home and did that a few times, but when I tried running, I immediately felt my heel tighten. I finished my run, but I haven’t done anything since; however, I almost need exercise to maintain my sanity! I have probably shared with some of you that I suffered a traumatic brain injury in high school due to a motor vehicle accident. Twenty-five (plus) years later I still have some difficulty with fatigue, but I have found through the decades that exercise really helps combat the fatigue!

Do any of you have any experience with plantar facitis? Advice? Patience may be the best advice, but mine is running thin!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beaverdam wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:43 pm
I wasn’t sure of the best place to post this question. I found an Old “Athens Running” thread, and I apparently intended to run during my first homecoming. That never happened, although I do usually hit the workout room at whatever hotel in which I’m staying during HC. I posted in the Athens running thread, but I moved my post once I found this thread!

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you had experienced plantar facitis; it hurts like crazy, and I’m ready to return to running, but I’m terrified of aggravating things further. I am seeing a podiatrist and am on Meloxicam/Mobic and have had a shot (steroid, I think) in my foot. The more I read about the side effects of Mobic the more freaked out I get.

I have an elliptical at home and did that a few times, but when I tried running, I immediately felt my heel tighten. I finished my run, but I haven’t done anything since; however, I almost need exercise to maintain my sanity! I have probably shared with some of you that I suffered a traumatic brain injury in high school due to a motor vehicle accident. Twenty-five (plus) years later I still have some difficulty with fatigue, but I have found through the decades that exercise really helps combat the fatigue!

Do any of you have any experience with plantar facitis? Advice? Patience may be the best advice, but mine is running thin!
I've been running off and on since I was 20 and I've dealt with PF in both feet (within a few years of each other, not at the same time). This was when I was in my early 40's. Wish I had better news for you but I tried everything - rest, stretching, orthotics, physical therapy, night splints, cortisone shots, etc - and nothing helped until I found a podiatrist* who did a quick surgical procedure to reduce the pressure on the plantar fascia, which in turn relieved the irritation and pain. This procedure worked like a charm on both feet, though it took about 4-6 months before I could run again. I'm still running (did 3 miles at 5:30 this morning!) and my feet have been great for the last 10+ years. Beaver, PF definitely sucks and I hope your feet heal up soon.

*Interesting side note: the podiatrist who fixed me up was subsequently convicted of insurance fraud by the feds and is now in federal prison and I would bet that his fellow prisoners have the nicest fucking feet in the entire federal prison system.