The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Cole Younger »

This is t exactly political exactly but then again it is. Just finished watching the Joe Rogan Experience with Ted Nugent as guest. Good Lord! That freaking guy.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:So if they don't trust the news, what do they trust?

"Media cheerleading Obama" isn't a good excuse for being willfully ignorant
That's the problem. When the people who were supposed to be there to keep you informed and watch the powerful have joined up with some of them, you don't know who to trust. So people believe what they want to believe in the end on the left and the right. Because while not everything the news media says is a lie, enough of it is and enough is colored by their own bias that taking in too much of it is or taking it all at face value is nothing if not willful ignorance.
Pardon my ignorance, but who in the media "joined up" with the Obama administration?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:So if they don't trust the news, what do they trust?

"Media cheerleading Obama" isn't a good excuse for being willfully ignorant
That's the problem. When the people who were supposed to be there to keep you informed and watch the powerful have joined up with some of them, you don't know who to trust. So people believe what they want to believe in the end on the left and the right. Because while not everything the news media says is a lie, enough of it is and enough is colored by their own bias that taking in too much of it is or taking it all at face value is nothing if not willful ignorance.
Pardon my ignorance, but who in the media "joined up" with the Obama administration?
Obama was the example that you used. Not me. By that I meant that the news media is biased toward the democrats and the majority of journalists and reporters are more liberal than conservative. Nothing controversial about that and it certainly isn't a revelation. I don't know why we act as if time is going to tell on that one. Lol. But I agree with what Jake Tapper said about that. It's less purely political than it is cultural. The media industrial complex in this country is in the major urban centers in the northeast. The major urban centers of the northeast are far more politically liberal than conservative. I'm not nearly as focused on Obama as you seem to think I am. But let's be honest, they were pretty fond of him. George Stephanopoulos pretty well traded in his journalistic credibility for him by weeping in air. Also, didn't Carney work for Time magazine?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

So Cole, I think what you're saying (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that it really comes down to a predetermined choice that they aren't going to believe anyone who contradicts their view point of the world - specifically Dems?

A lot of the folks I know who voted for Trump are that way. They simply refuse to believe someone from the other side of the aisle, and choose to believe Trump, despite his proven track record of lying more than pretty much anyone who's ever held the office.

It's hard for me not to see this as simple tribalism. My side is right, your side is wrong, and no mountain of evidence to the contrary is going to change that.

I guess at the end of the day, I understand suspicion of media, but I don't understand the willingness to accept Trump's blatant falsehoods unless viewed through the lens of them simply not caring that he's lying because he's their guy.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:So Cole, I think what you're saying (and correct me if I'm wrong), is that it really comes down to a predetermined choice that they aren't going to believe anyone who contradicts their view point of the world - specifically Dems?

A lot of the folks I know who voted for Trump are that way. They simply refuse to believe someone from the other side of the aisle, and choose to believe Trump, despite his proven track record of lying more than pretty much anyone who's ever held the office.

It's hard for me not to see this as simple tribalism. My side is right, your side is wrong, and no mountain of evidence to the contrary is going to change that.

I guess at the end of the day, I understand suspicion of media, but I don't understand the willingness to accept Trump's blatant falsehoods unless viewed through the lens of them simply not caring that he's lying because he's their guy.
Pretty close. But not exactly. one side screams at you and tells you that you are stupid, racist, homophobic, misogynistic, etc etc etc and one side doesnt. which one are you going to listen to? Somebody said earlier that message g has been a problem. Yes. And it is important to point out that I don't know anybody who voted for Trump thinking he was like them or even that he was a conservative. But they weren't going to vote democrat. And the fact that the Democrats and Hollywood elite types seemed particularly horrified by Trump just made him easier to vote for. You don't get to tell people what pieces of shit they are and then have them listen to You about their candidate. Not you personally but...you know.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

But what if you are a piece of shit?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:But what if you are a piece of shit?
That is the attitude that gets you nowhere, and those people vote.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

LBRod wrote:
This.

And who gets to decide, Zip? You? If so, why? Just because you think you're right? They think they're right.

This is so wrong headed and is the problem.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
LBRod wrote:
This.

And who gets to decide, Zip? You? If so, why? Just because you think you're right? They think they're right.

This is so wrong headed and is the problem.
Everybody can't be right.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It can be someone's firmly held belief that the government is going to take away their guns. They may base all of their voting decisions based on this firmly held belief.

But that belief is flat out untrue, and as such, should be called out as such. That might hurt the feelings of those who firmly hold the belief, but I'm not concerned with the feelings of people who vote based on untruths, nor do I think that politicians should cater to those untruths. Unfortunately, many politicians take advantage of people who believe nonsense, feeding them what they want to hear to get their votes.

And you're saying it's a huge mistake for the Democrats not to feed into the bullshit

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:It can be someone's firmly held belief that the government is going to take away their guns. They may base all of their voting decisions based on this firmly held belief.

But that belief is flat out untrue, and as such, should be called out as such. That might hurt the feelings of those who firmly hold the belief, but I'm not concerned with the feelings of people who vote based on untruths, nor do I think that politicians should cater to those untruths. Unfortunately, many politicians take advantage of people who believe nonsense, feeding them what they want to hear to get their votes.

And you're saying it's a huge mistake for the Democrats not to feed into the bullshit
That's not even close to what I said. That's just what you took from it. Let's do this a different way. There are those who firmly hold to the belief that a man who dresses up like a woman and even thinks he is a woman is in fact a woman just because he believes that. Even though biology and chromosomes make it impossible for his belief that he's a she to have any basis in fact, he believes it still and demands that everyone else facilitate this delusion. And the Democrats think not going along with this means you are a bigot. You may never call this man names. You might never do him any harm but you realize that he isn't a woman and know that his being able to do things like get to use the fitness standards for women in the military is nonsense, and to the Democrats that makes you a bigot.

This is totally untrue and is based on feelings but democrats expect people to go along with this. The irony there is they also claim to believe in science. They feed these folks bullcrap in order to get their votes and use it as a wedge issue.

But according to you democrats are always right and anyone who doesn't vote with them is wrong.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

You're right that everybody can't be right. But you seem to think your favorite team always is so by extension those disagree with you never are. That isn't even possible.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:Image
No argument there. It doesn't get much more ignorant than getting flaming mad because Trump calls MS13 animals but think it's perfectly fine to call people who don't agree with you pieces of shit. And thinking of anyone who disagrees with you as an anti intellectual is just plain wilful foolishness.

Memes are where political discussions go to die.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Calling MS13 animals isn't the problem.

Insinuating that every person who crosses the border is an MS13 warlord is.

And I don't call people who disagree with me pieces of shit. I call pieces of shit pieces of shit.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:Calling MS13 animals isn't the problem.

Insinuating that every person who crosses the border is an MS13 warlord is.

And I don't call people who disagree with me pieces of shit. I call pieces of shit pieces of shit.
Well that was productive. All that and my point is still simply that calling people who don't vote democrat stupid and racist etc may not be the best strategy for democrats to win elections. That doesn't seem hard to me. If they would cut that out and had a candidate who can walk and chew gum at the same time beating Trump should be easy.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I won't argue that most Democrat candidates are weak, and the party as a whole is a clusterfuck.

I can't remember any candidates saying "if you don't vote Democrat you're a racist piece of shit," but hey, I guess perception=reality

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:I won't argue that most Democrat candidates are weak, and the party as a whole is a clusterfuck.

I can't remember any candidates saying "if you don't vote Democrat you're a racist piece of shit," but hey, I guess perception=reality
Stupid and racist. A lot of their more shrill supporters handled the piece of shit part.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:I won't argue that most Democrat candidates are weak, and the party as a whole is a clusterfuck.

Stupid and racist. A lot of their more shrill supporters handled the piece of shit part.
Care to share some quotes of political candidates calling people stupid and racist?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Care to share some quotes of political candidates calling people stupid and racist?
Lol. You're seriously challenging me on this? Am I restricted to them actually using the words of an I permitted quotes that convey it without saying "stupid and racist"?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Cole Younger wrote: "Or that same group of people thinking it's ok as a strategy and policy to simply declare N. Korea not a threat because Trump?"

Here again, I know a lot of people who voted for Trump. From what I hear from them, this isn't what they think. They just don't think it was bad for Trump to meet with the North Koreans about nuclear disarmament. As far as thinking the North Koreans are no longer a threat and will do just what they say they will do and won't do, I don't know anybody who thinks that. But they didn't get how it was bad for Trump to try for it and absolutely did not get the left acting disappointed or even angry about it. I've heard from more than one person, "They act like they would rather have a nuclear war with North Korea than have something Trump did turn out good". I have to admit, it did sort of come off like that.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:It can be someone's firmly held belief that the government is going to take away their guns.
That's just unthinkable, right? Not unlike the equally paranoid yet firmly held belief the government is going to make abortion illegal again. Continue on with that in mind.
Zip City wrote:They may base all of their voting decisions based on this firmly held belief.

There is very strong sentiment in the country for having the government take away some guns and some gun accessories--or do I mean limiting and regulating certain aspects of abortion--even though hardly anyone wants to (or says they want to) completely ban guns--or is that abortion?

But while most folks don't want a complete ban, those who are opposed, very opposed to gunbortion chooserights on one side keep chipping away at the other.

If only there were someone reasonable on the other side to talk to! And there always is. And there's always a good reason it's not the time or the place or the occasion. And the chip chip chippers keep chip chip chipping along and one day you wake up and the world has changed. Maybe the tree fell on you. Maybe it fell on them. And hardly anyone wanted to see it happen to anyone at all, but there you are. Here we are.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Zip City wrote:It can be someone's firmly held belief that the government is going to take away their guns.
That's just unthinkable, right? Not unlike the equally paranoid yet firmly held belief the government is going to make abortion illegal again. Continue on with that in mind.
Zip City wrote:They may base all of their voting decisions based on this firmly held belief.

There is very strong sentiment in the country for having the government take away some guns and some gun accessories--or do I mean limiting and regulating certain aspects of abortion--even though hardly anyone wants to (or says they want to) completely ban guns--or is that abortion?

But while most folks don't want a complete ban, those who are opposed, very opposed to gunbortion chooserights on one side keep chipping away at the other.

If only there were someone reasonable on the other side to talk to! And there always is. And there's always a good reason it's not the time or the place or the occasion. And the chip chip chippers keep chip chip chipping along and one day you wake up and the world has changed. Maybe the tree fell on you. Maybe it fell on them. And hardly anyone wanted to see it happen to anyone at all, but there you are. Here we are.
Dude we have got to hang out at Homecoming this year.

tinnitus photography

i suppose having a basic grasp of the written language makes one an Eastern elite, right?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

tinnitus photography wrote:i suppose having a basic grasp of the written language makes one an Eastern elite, right?

Let me put on my proofreading/copy editing hat for a moment.

"having written" versus "writing"--both acceptable
"best selling" versus "bestselling"--both wrong
comma omitted--both acceptable
"on" versus "in"--both acceptable
"Fake News" versus "fake news"--Donald Trump is better at writing advertising copy than you are. So is Hunter S. Thompson, who also capitalized Liberally throughout his life
"pore" versus "pour"--an actual, undisputable mistake!
comma added--both acceptable
"a mistake" versus "mistakes"--both acceptable
"only for" versus "for only"--the change is wrong, the original is okay, but the best recasting is "for emphasis only"
"b/c" versus "because"--acceptable in informal language and tweets

I might make some of those style changes, especially in a tweet, where every character (except that of the author) counts and brevity is better, but for its use, that's not as badly written as it appears, and the person who marked it up is not nearly so smart as he thinks. (Yes, that's a comma splice. I like to write like I speak.)

There is a lot in there that isn't Chicago Manual of Style usage, but most writing isn't Chicago Manual of Style writing. We're back in the Elizabethan era right now, when language is fluid again. I imagine the Renaissance was scary, too.

I can't find my handy copy of the appropriate meme, but I can quote it by memory:
Nazi: "Your going to the camps"
Victim: "Ha ha ha--you misspelled you're"
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

tinnitus photography

""a mistake" versus "mistakes"--both acceptable"

has Trump ever written or said anything that had just one single, lonely mistake?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Basket of deplorables? Bitter clingers?
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks, Cole. I will respond substantively just not right this second.

Zip, I think I understand you less the longer I "know" you (meaning I know you only through and to the extent of your posts).

I wonder why the show Stop the World I Want to Get Off just popped into my head after having not thought about it for at least a couple of decades.

Me, quoting Neil Young in an endless loop in my head:

There is a town in North Ontario
Dream comfort memory to spare
And in my mind I still need a place to go
All my changes were there
Blue, blue windows behind the stars
Yellow moon on the rise
Big birds flying across the sky
Throwing shadows on our eyes
Leave us
Helpless, helpless, helpless, helpless
Babe, can you hear me now?