The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Zip City »

There are a lot of worthwhile issues that have been reduced to buzzwords, which makes them easy to mock or deride. People may bristle at the term "toxic masculinity", but that doesn't mean the core of the idea isn't legitimate.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I'm not a fan of AOC beyond the general sense that she bugs a lot of people I like to see bugged but that's a huge mistake comparing her to Palin. Palin was an insult to the electorate and especially to women. For all her many faults, AOC is smart, tough, hard working, dedicated and expert at social media (an increasingly important skill for politicians) and all things being equal should be a player on the political scene for decades, one way or another.
Yeah I definitely understand what you mean about getting a kick out of people that drive everyone nuts. I thoroughly enjoyed the effect Trump had on people back during the election for that very reason. As someone who finds both parties repulsive it was just fun watching it. I didn't think he was actually going to win the primary.

Bubba if you say she's smart there must be something to it but good night she says some things that make her sound foolish.
The things that make her sound foolish are why I'm not a fan, but I think she's got serious potential for the reasons previously stated.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:There are a lot of worthwhile issues that have been reduced to buzzwords, which makes them easy to mock or deride. People may bristle at the term "toxic masculinity", but that doesn't mean the core of the idea isn't legitimate.
I think it's fair to say that buzzwords become buzzwords because they articulate in convenient form a core idea that makes sense to a lot of people. The problem is that by the time they become buzzwords, they carry too much baggage to be useful. It's a dilemma.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I'm not a fan of AOC beyond the general sense that she bugs a lot of people I like to see bugged but that's a huge mistake comparing her to Palin. Palin was an insult to the electorate and especially to women. For all her many faults, AOC is smart, tough, hard working, dedicated and expert at social media (an increasingly important skill for politicians) and all things being equal should be a player on the political scene for decades, one way or another.
Yeah I definitely understand what you mean about getting a kick out of people that drive everyone nuts. I thoroughly enjoyed the effect Trump had on people back during the election for that very reason. As someone who finds both parties repulsive it was just fun watching it. I didn't think he was actually going to win the primary.

Bubba if you say she's smart there must be something to it but good night she says some things that make her sound foolish.
The things that make her sound foolish are why I'm not a fan, but I think she's got serious potential for the reasons previously stated.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I myself don't much enjoy political discussions designed with the goal of pissing someone talking off. That's one thing in a debate, where you're seeing someone's character on display and that someone's character is relevant. Suppose you think your opponent is weak and slow to respond to the unexpected and you can demonstrate that by walking behind them. It's a shitty thing to do to someone, but if you're running for head bomb-dropper of your country, doing shitty things to people is in the job description. So I'm okay with that sort of thing and wish my side were better at it. That's part of why I like old candidates with long, consistent histories best--you know what you're getting. But when people are sitting around talking? The stakes aren't high enough to make being an asshole worth it.
Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:Another popular phrase: virtue signaling. It’s up there with Social Justice Warrior on my list of most cringe-inducing talking points
Heh, heh, heh. Now you know how I feel when I hear terms like "toxic masculinity" and "triggered".
I've started getting triggered when people say toxic masculinity, so when I wrote about it, I didn't use the phrase. I did say misogyny. But you'll appreciate how I approached the issue, Cole: Why And How You Should Use the Word "Chickenshit" In Church Services. To get to the relevant half, start after the numbered sections, maybe at "But we need “chickenshit”, badly. Why?"
This post made my day. :D
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I'll try to edit slower for you next time, tinnitus.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Cole Younger wrote:I'll try to edit slower for you next time, tinnitus.
maybe try writing slower, so you don't need to edit?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I'll try to edit slower for you next time, tinnitus.
maybe try writing slower, so you don't need to edit?
Nah I like editing, man. It's fun.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
Image[/quote]

I'm not sure whether you intend this to be an example of her foolishness or her potential, so I'll just leave it at that.

cortez the killer

Both interpretations/answers are acceptable, bubba.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

It appears she may be in some trouble. The campaign finance type.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:It appears she may be in some trouble. The campaign finance type.
Link? I scanned Reuters, CNN and the Associated Press and didn't see a story
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:It appears she may be in some trouble. The campaign finance type.
Link? I scanned Reuters, CNN and the Associated Press and didn't see a story
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ocasio-c ... 00055.html

From the article:
The allegations in the complaints are narrowly focused and unlikely to tarnish Ocasio-Cortez, some election-law experts said. “I haven’t come up with anything that’s a serious violation of campaign finance laws,” said Paul S. Ryan, vice president of policy and litigation at Common Cause, a nonprofit group that promotes civic participation.
But her dancing video was scandalous, wasn't it? Can you believe a college student would participate in such an event?
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I think my panties are in a bundle.

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:I think my panties are in a bundle.
Who/what bundled them on you?
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:I myself don't much enjoy political discussions designed with the goal of pissing someone talking off. That's one thing in a debate, where you're seeing someone's character on display and that someone's character is relevant. Suppose you think your opponent is weak and slow to respond to the unexpected and you can demonstrate that by walking behind them. It's a shitty thing to do to someone, but if you're running for head bomb-dropper of your country, doing shitty things to people is in the job description. So I'm okay with that sort of thing and wish my side were better at it. That's part of why I like old candidates with long, consistent histories best--you know what you're getting. But when people are sitting around talking? The stakes aren't high enough to make being an asshole worth it.
Zip City wrote:Another popular phrase: virtue signaling. It’s up there with Social Justice Warrior on my list of most cringe-inducing talking points
Cole Younger wrote:Heh, heh, heh. Now you know how I feel when I hear terms like "toxic masculinity" and "triggered".
I've started getting triggered when people say toxic masculinity, so when I wrote about it, I didn't use the phrase. I did say misogyny. But you'll appreciate how I approached the issue, Cole: Why And How You Should Use the Word "Chickenshit" In Church Services. To get to the relevant half, start after the numbered sections, maybe at "But we need “chickenshit”, badly. Why?"
This post made my day. :D
Ah, but did you read the link? ;-) Link clicks are a boy's best friend.

I went to a memorial service Saturday for the guy who (along with two of my oldest and dearest friends) pushed me out of the newspaper I started twenty-odd years ago, which was the start of my corporate IT career and my fiendish case of writer's block. ("John," groaned the great poet and teacher Jim Whitehead to me, "you aren't important enough to have writer's block." He meant it kindly and it did me some good.) Looking back, I see how I made it easy for them to do that to me. My behavior wasn't perfect any more than theirs was. We had constrained resources and we were trying to do something good in the world. And this guy I came into such sharp conflict with and I were a lot alike in many ways. So I decided to stop hating him and, when I heard he had cancer, asked if I had any books he wanted to read. And since he died last month, I've finished two songs, a poem, and a piece of non-fiction, and I'm funnier. Maybe he did have something to do with my writer's block.

It was the weirdest case of it, because I could whip out technical writing with ease but froze up trying to write an in-class paragraph--a fucking paragraph!--to pass a freshman World LIt class to finally get my degree. I used to be able to fill a blank page of the paper at the printer's, just sitting down and whipping it out to hit our press time, if we were short that issue. It's felt like having a loose connection in the head, and I only worked intermittently. That seems to be over with now.

Or maybe my filter is gone. I'm not sure what. Probably it's bad for me, but I enjoy it and I'm an old man now, so wotthehell, wotthehell, maybe there's a dance in dance in the old dame yet, and I know a place where there's still something going on.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

cortez the killer wrote:
First time I had seen the AOC dancing gif. I’m a fan in a decidedly not-cool-in-2019 way.

I’m guessing having to repress their attraction to a liberal minority is part of why old conservative white guys feel compelled to foam at the mouth against her.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
First time I had seen the AOC dancing gif. I’m a fan in a decidedly not-cool-in-2019 way.

I’m guessing having to repress their attraction to a liberal minority is part of why old conservative white guys feel compelled to foam at the mouth against her.
Seems like pretty + smart is a difficult combination for a lot of men to handle in a woman. Throw in "the other" and you've got the stuff of which forbidden fantasies are made.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Iowan wrote:First time I had seen the AOC dancing gif. I’m a fan in a decidedly not-cool-in-2019 way.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

I was originally pulled in by the name (duh!). But I stayed for the combination of looks & smarts.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
The 26th Amendment should cover some level of national embarrassment. I mean, what the fuck? I wouldn't take this behavior from any colleague, friend or family member. He is fighting with ghosts. .....Fighting with Ghosts....good band or song name. I'm going to work on that.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:
The 26th Amendment should cover some level of national embarrassment. I mean, what the fuck? I wouldn't take this behavior from any colleague, friend or family member. He is fighting with ghosts. .....Fighting with Ghosts....good band or song name. I'm going to work on that.
ghost be winnin’

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

can this human chancre just fucking die already?

cortez the killer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:
ghost be winnin’
When the devil came
He was not red
He was orange and he said...
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Nah she says kooky things and is miles from me on issues. My first wife was Puerto Rican so no worries there.

whatwouldcooleydo?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 9a0fcb22dc

At a White House event at a tank manufacturer in Lima, Ohio, on Wednesday, Trump said of McCain, “I endorsed him at his request, and I gave him the kind of funeral he wanted, which as president I had to approve.”

“I don’t care about this,” Trump continued. “I didn’t get a thank you. That’s okay. We sent him on the way. But I wasn’t a fan of John McCain.”

That's gold, Donny! Gold!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Hayes Caril: If I May Be So Bold
We had an agreement, a part of my audience and I. We never exactly spelled it out, but now I can see the terms. I would play music, make people laugh, cry, and dance, but be vague enough in my songwriting and in my persona to allow them to overlook anything that didn’t jive with who they wanted me to be. In exchange, they would buy tickets to my shows and use my songs in the soundtrack to their lives. Our relationship would be entertainer and consumer rather than artist and audience. I would only present palatable parts of myself to the world and I was mostly okay with that. Until I wasn’t. When I started to speak my mind about certain issues, some of that part of my audience with which I had an agreement decided to let me know that I had broken it. That forced me to look at how we had made it and whether or not I wanted to keep it.
It's not long.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Iowan wrote:
cortez the killer wrote: Who/what bundled them on you?

Nah she says kooky things and is miles from me on issues. My first wife was Puerto Rican so no worries there.
Less of a shot at you and more at my Facebook feed.

I don’t agree with her on a ton (more than you I’m sure), but there are plenty of folks completely enraged by her.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Yeah that's weird. I don't really get enraged by any of them very much. Occasionally a politician will say something that hits a button but not often. I hear them say things that I don't like on a daily basis. But it's not in my nature to let people make me mad for the most part. That's giving them power over me is the way I see it and I'm not giving that to anybody. The older I get, the less I'm willing to give the clowns in Washington, or any of their Koo Koo bird supporters much time in my head. Life is too short.

Now, as I said before, I do sort of get a kick out of watching people reflexively react to certain people whether it's a politician or some other famous person. I know a bunch of people who freak out about Beto ORourke and I just could not care less about what that guy does or says. It's funny though.