The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Two representatives from the Democratic National Committee:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:29 am
What was completely unexpected was the leaking of the draft opinion which is unprecedented, shocking and about as significant a blow to the Court's functioning, legitimacy and standing as one can imagine. This is really bad, totally apart from the substance of the decision. And when I say "shocking" I mean that literally, not in the usual social media exaggerated, knee jerk sense. This is truly unbelievable and imho will prove disastrous.
In today's NYT, Jesse Wegman has an op-ed which better explains what I was getting at in this portion of my post above:

"First, the leak illustrates, in shocking fashion, the accelerating collapse of another American institution. The Supreme Court is fanatically secretive about its deliberations. For an outsider to get advance notice of a ruling, much less a fully footnoted 98-page draft opinion, is almost unheard-of. While abortion is one of the most hotly contested issues in American society, the court has ruled on hundreds if not thousands of similarly fraught cases. Leaks have happened, but very rarely, and never quite like this.

"A breach of such magnitude suggests a breakdown of internal norms that tracks with the broader erosion of American institutions in recent years and the further conversion of the court into a hyperpartisan political body not meaningfully different from Congress. It’s not hard to see how that could have happened. Senate Republicans have worked overtime to politicize and polarize the justices, first by stealing a seat from President Barack Obama with nearly a year left in his term and then hustling Justice Barrett through confirmation even as millions of Americans had already cast ballots in the election that would oust her disgraced patron, Mr. Trump. If presidents, senators and nominees act as if anything is fair game in the quest for power, why shouldn’t others involved with the institution?"

The reference to "others" in the last line reminds me that I still haven't seen/heard a good guess as to the motivations of the leaker; several plausible theories, but none seem compelling at the "aha that's it!" level.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:51 am

The reference to "others" in the last line reminds me that I still haven't seen/heard a good guess as to the motivations of the leaker; several plausible theories, but none seem compelling at the "aha that's it!" level.
Seems like working theories are centered around aides. Either A) a liberal aide appalled by the pending decision or B) a conservative aide wanting to ensure that the majority justices are on record.

With all the pearl clutching from the GOP camp around the leak, would anyone be surprised that it came from inside their own house? It would be an all new level of hypocrisy, but I'm no longer shocked by the depths of their deception and duplicity.

Said more eloquently...fuck these fucking fuckers.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

If they're in favour of banning abortion, I'm assuming the American Christian right are also in favour of making contraceptives free, investing money into comprehensive sex education for kids and generally making it less likely that women will need abortions?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:42 am
If they're in favour of banning abortion, I'm assuming the American Christian right are also in favour of making contraceptives free, investing money into comprehensive sex education for kids and generally making it less likely that women will need abortions?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... p_opinions

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

305 Engine wrote:
Bwahahahahahahaha! :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

You folks are looking for consistency in all the wrong places. You're likelier to find love there than truth. Look instead for consistency in this question:
What will increase the power of the far right?
That is the principle about which you will find consistency.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just to pile on, because why not?, all of the above is the reason that I don't use the term "pro life" to describe those who oppose abortion. They are anti-abortion and pro only their own lives.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:09 am
Seems like working theories are centered around aides. Either A) a liberal aide appalled by the pending decision or B) a conservative aide wanting to ensure that the majority justices are on record.
Both of these seem plausible to me but neither seems compelling. In the resulting sort of vacuum, how about we go all out let's throw some shit against the wall and see if any of it sticks:

The leak comes from the conservative side under one of 2 scenarios:

1. Someone on that side makes an impassioned argument that the proposed decision goes too far and, despite Justice Alito's statement that the Court can't consider the impact of its decisions, suggests that the complete wipe out of Roe/Casey will tear the country apart and worse, the backlash will end up as a net loss to the conservative position. A discussion ensues leading to impasse. Someone decides to leak the draft opinion to try to measure the depth and breadth of the response and the potential nature of the backlash to see whether some lesser position is required to meet the realities of the times.

2. That impassioned argument has carried the day and the actual opinion stops short of Alito's extreme opinion. The last thing the Court wants to do is take a compromise position and then have it be lambasted by everyone anyway. So someone leaks this draft so when the final, slightly more moderate version, is released, the Court can say to liberals in one subtle way or another, "be thankful. You saw what we might have done and still could do."

3. The same as #1 but the leak comes from the liberal side after a liberal justice makes the "it's too much, too far" argument. When s/he meets resistance, s/he releases the draft to be able to say "see? I told you so; let's work something out here."

I have no basis for any of these scenarios, just having some fun spitballing.

scotto

Post by scotto »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:09 am
Said more eloquently...fuck these fucking fuckers.
Indeed. I can't wait to retire and move the fuck away from this place.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:12 pm
305 Engine wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... p_opinions
Ah. Now I can see its just massive hypocrisy. Who could have guessed?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

My friend who clerked for a conservative Supreme Court justice and therefore presumably has at least some idea of what he's talking about (as opposed to the rest of us) says "I think there is zero chance the conservative justices themselves are floating this as a trial balloon."

And in the total rumor department, another friend reports seeing this one on twitter: "Alito was implicated in J6 as being the judge who would stop the electoral vote count (except Pelosi reconvened too quickly and pence wouldn’t get in the car) and so this leak was by him or repubs with his knowledge so that any J6 investigation that includes him would be tagged as retaliatory for the opinion." As she says, "it's a stretch but it's out there."

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm
Just to pile on, because why not?, all of the above is the reason that I don't use the term "pro life" to describe those who oppose abortion. They are anti-abortion and pro only their own lives.
I hope the left uses this moment to pivot on messaging. Agree with your opposition to the term "Pro life", but it fits on a sticker and it works. We no longer need to be talking about "pro-choice" or "abortion"...those things are now largely gone. Time to pivot to talking about "Government Forced Birth". Fits on a sticker and is instantly polarizing and forces a stance. Thanks, Lee Atwater!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:08 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm
I hope the left uses this moment to pivot on messaging. Agree with your opposition to the term "Pro life", but it fits on a sticker and it works. We no longer need to be talking about "pro-choice" or "abortion"...those things are now largely gone. Time to pivot to talking about "Government Forced Birth". Fits on a sticker and is instantly polarizing and forces a stance. Thanks, Lee Atwater!
Nice!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

pearlbeer wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:08 pm
Thanks, Lee Atwater!
Now someone else will play the part of him
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Most ironic headline ever? From the WaPo:

Clarence Thomas says he worries respect for institutions is eroding.

If you are immediately reminded of Barrett’s “we are not partisan hacks” comment, there’s a reason for that.

Also note the shot he takes at New England. How very judicious of him.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:03 pm

If you are immediately reminded of Barrett’s “we are not partisan hacks” comment, there’s a reason for that.

Uncle Thomas can stick it up his Supreme Pooper.
Now it's dark.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:46 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

He'd probably enjoy that. The Republicans are a kinky bunch.

scotto

Post by scotto »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:14 pm
Flea wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 4:46 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

He'd probably enjoy that. The Republicans are a kinky bunch.
He was an assistant attorney general in MO back in the '70s and I knew some folks at the capitol who had stories about what an asshole he was and other assorted dirty laundry. When the Anita Hill story broke they weren't surprised about the sexual harassment, but they we surprised his victim was female.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This is the secret trick of judicial opinion writing. Just because it's long, footnoted and looks "professional" doesn't mean it has any intellectual merit.

https://www.propublica.org/article/abor ... nt=feature

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^ I've noticed Alito's reliance on a 17th century misogynist and blowhard getting a lot of press in the past couple of days. Good.

Did you know that there is a shortage of baby formula in this country? Shaking my head. At what point does having significant characteristics of a shithole country make a country a shithole country?

But why should this be a problem? I'm sure all the pro-life folks are rushing to provide all the support those babies need.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:58 pm
^^^ I've noticed Alito's reliance on a 17th century misogynist and blowhard getting a lot of press in the past couple of days. Good.

Did you know that there is a shortage of baby formula in this country? Shaking my head. At what point does having significant characteristics of a shithole country make a country a shithole country?

But why should this be a problem? I'm sure all the pro-life folks are rushing to provide all the support those babies need.
Same with the pearl clutching about protests. Susan Collins called the cops for CHALK on her sidewalk. Yet, the Westboro Baptist Church has been aggressively intimidating folks for decades. For a fucking crowd that preaches (often quite literally) about personal accountability and taking responsibility for your actions and choices, they sure look like a bunch of goddamn hypocrites. Oh, wait, they are. Fuck them.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:58 pm
at least the company voluntarily pulled the formula before it got more kids sick and if that was indeed root cause.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... la-abbott/

unlike another country
https://qz.com/1323471/ten-years-after- ... t-remains/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:01 pm
at least the company voluntarily pulled the formula before it got more kids sick and if that was indeed root cause.
Good point. And yes, the article I read said that the recall was a part (but not all) of the problem.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:52 am
Yep. Well past time, actually.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 755a827533
Paywall. If he's not already there can we please put that motherfucker Lindsay Graham to the list? Sleaze personified.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:06 am
Paywall. If he's not already there can we please put that motherfucker Lindsay Graham to the list? Sleaze personified.
On the literal level, she doesn't mention Graham specifically.

Also, Graham is 66 and while she doesn't say, I think she's thinking in terms of 70 or 75 as an upper limit. A for the sleaze factor, her examples were based solely on age not performance (except to some extent w/ regard to Giuliani)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

By the way, in case you missed it, the Fifth Circuit declared war on the federal government this week. See Jarkesy v. Securities & Exchange Commission and the many articles written about the decision. I'm too tired and fed up (about this and many other things) to go into the details but the court essentially says that Congress can't delegate powers to administrative agencies, which is, ummmm, how the federal government works now and it's awfully hard to think of an alternative (except, of course, the "blessed" small government, shorn of all regulation and oversight). The Supreme Court has been edging towards this type of conclusion for a while but even they haven't had the chutzpah to take the argument to its logical conclusion. We're just about there now. We'll see what the Supreme Court does w/ the inevitable appeal.

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Not an active member like you most. But I’m packing it in. I’m done. I’ve seen enough. Build Back Better. What a crock of shit. Trump 2024. Or anyone that can expose this incompetent piece of shit for what he is. I’ll settle for some mean tweets right now. Had to borrow out of my retirement to survive this piece of fucking shit we call a president to feed my family. But at least illegals are fed and no transgender people were offended. Never thought the day would come. Can’t even afford to see a local DBT show, 20 miles from home. You all keep hiding your heads up your asses. Enjoy your $5 plus a gallon gas. Hope you all come your senses, the writing is on the wall. Love to you all. It’s been a fun ride the last 15 years.