The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Flea »

Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:20 am
“I don’t agree with that Cole Younger very often but he doesn’t seem like a bad guy."
I can surely attest that Cole Younger is a straight-up badass righteous dude and my friend. Circle of trust!
Now it's dark.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Flea wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:20 am
“I don’t agree with that Cole Younger very often but he doesn’t seem like a bad guy."
I can surely attest that Cole Younger is a straight-up badass righteous dude and my friend. Circle of trust!
You’re my boy, Flea!
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

ha. lol at uga.

the stereotype.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:11 pm
ha. lol at uga.

the stereotype.
Yeah well, since college football decided to go “woke” I
probably won’t be watching much of it and don’t much care what they do. I’ll just deer hunt more.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole, I share your dislike of this...
Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:54 pm
I’m sick to death of people reducing anyone they disagree with to the most brutish and disgusting lowest terms they can possible imagine. It has helped birth two domestic terror organizations in the form of BLM and antifa. In the case of antifa I don’t know if they were in the beginning what we see now. I tend to think they area more militant offshoot of the Occupy Wall Street movement but I don’t know that. BLM began as something much different from what we see now. What was simply a movement dedicated to awareness about police brutality came back as something much different a few months ago.
...and I'd like to gently suggest you're engaging in it a little yourself there.

I can tell you what Antifa is--it's the people who show up to meet the violence of aspiring fascists with violence. That's violent, but it's not terror--it's a street fight. I'd rather not have street fights, but if we do, I want my side to win. Whenever I went to an anti-Klan rally, my intentions were always peaceful, and I always prepared for violence, because I knew my intentions weren't shared by the people I was protesting, and because not everyone on my side had the same peaceful intentions. A demonstration is a show of force (among other things), and force is the next-door neighbor of violence.

We're going to see a street fight today in Portland. I've been worried about this ever since one of the Proud Boys finally got killed. They have a dead martyr and a live one--that kid who killed the people in Kenosha--and they've been pounding Portland on a monthly basis. It's very much like how the Nazi stormtroopers went to "Red Berlin" for their street fights while Hitler was on the rise. The point was to pick a major leftist city and and punish it as a show of power. And it worked.

We saw what they could do in terms of national mobilization in Charlottesville. It wasn't much. (Though they did kill Heather Heyer, which is a lot.) Now we'll see what they can do after three years of pumping up for it, and whether there's a response of violence initiated by their allies in other cities.

(I think if this fizzles, we may be past rightist violence as a major threat this year.)

As far as Antifa is concerned, Cole, that's what you're not seeing--the specific people they're fighting. A role they played in Charlottesville, when police let the rightists run wild, was fighting incipient fascists who were attacking non-violent demonstrators. I'm glad they did. They sometimes engage with the police, but then, the police sometimes side with the would-be fascists when push comes to shove. I've seen a lot of footage of cops taking a knee in a staged display of #BLM solidarity, which I bet is mostly sincere, but I've not seen footage of cops taking the side of left against right during violence.

I'm not going to tell you they're all pure of heart and mind, Cole, because I know that isn't true. It can't be, statistically, nor does it match my personal experiences. Some people just like to fight and they pick my side to fight for. Those people scare me. Some people who are on my side scare me, too. One guy I knew back in the day is now an executive at a supposedly good business, but I figure he's just as much of a shit as he was then. Probably worse, because he has more power. Though I'll ask if I ever run into a current mutual acquaintance in a position to know if he improved. I hope he did.

We've seen small beer next to the East St. Louis race riots, the Ludlow massacre, the Manhattan draft riots, the destruction of Greenwood, or the major riots of the sixties. If you look at the damage done in, say, the Detroit riots of '67, and compare it to what happened in Minneapolis, it's like comparing a broken leg to a broken toe. I say this to keep some perspective, for myself as much as for anyone. It feels like things are going straight to hell right now, because they are, but they've also been worse. The stakes are high, very high, but so far the bills have been very small, relatively speaking.

I'm sure much of this appalls my liberal friends here at least as much as it does you, Cole, but I just can't not tell the truth as I understand it. I may be wrong but at least I'm honest. I'm part of a long line of leftist and leftish American radicals, dissidents, malcontents*, and ne'er-do-well's. Paine, Emerson, Thoreau, Fuller, Warren, Tucker, Parsons, Debs, Heywood, Randolph, Rustin, King, Baker, Clark, Hoffman, Milk. There are many others. Those are some of the ones that come to mind easily.

My personal model was Abbie Hoffman. He never lined up with any ideology besides freedom and was proud of his American Revolutionary heritage as a Boston native. He did crazy things that made sense. When he got set up for his drug bust, he went underground with the Weathermen briefly, but didn't get along with the Leninist-Maoist ideology** and left. He settled himself and his new wife in a little town in upstate New York. Then he could not keep out of a fight to save a local river and ended up exposing his identity and doing time. Then he got out and kept at it till he died. What more can you ask?

All that and I never did get around to #BLM. But I've had this on my mind for a while now. I don't mind honest disagreement, so I have to be honest myself. As Tom Robbins quoted Bob Dylan in Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, right before we see what it means, "To live outside the law you must be honest."

And to be fully honest, I should admit my other model was Sissy Hankshaw--I did my best to think of her when I hitchhiked to protests and such--and not Billy West. But bless his heart for saving all those innocent lives. He was honest.

*A word you may remember from our first serious discussion.
**Me, either.** Marx and Jesus both need saved from many of their followers. I say this knowing very little about Marx--he was never relevant to me.
***I mean, seriously. There were Maoists in the late seventies who tried to organize wheat farmers on the basis of them being peasants. Really. That's what happens when you're caught in the grip of theory.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:09 pm
Cole, I share your dislike of this...
Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:54 pm
I’m sick to death of people reducing anyone they disagree with to the most brutish and disgusting lowest terms they can possible imagine. It has helped birth two domestic terror organizations in the form of BLM and antifa. In the case of antifa I don’t know if they were in the beginning what we see now. I tend to think they area more militant offshoot of the Occupy Wall Street movement but I don’t know that. BLM began as something much different from what we see now. What was simply a movement dedicated to awareness about police brutality came back as something much different a few months ago.
...and I'd like to gently suggest you're engaging in it a little yourself there.

I can tell you what Antifa is--it's the people who show up to meet the violence of aspiring fascists with violence. That's violent, but it's not terror--it's a street fight. I'd rather not have street fights, but if we do, I want my side to win. Whenever I went to an anti-Klan rally, my intentions were always peaceful, and I always prepared for violence, because I knew my intentions weren't shared by the people I was protesting, and because not everyone on my side had the same peaceful intentions. A demonstration is a show of force (among other things), and force is the next-door neighbor of violence.

We're going to see a street fight today in Portland. I've been worried about this ever since one of the Proud Boys finally got killed. They have a dead martyr and a live one--that kid who killed the people in Kenosha--and they've been pounding Portland on a monthly basis. It's very much like how the Nazi stormtroopers went to "Red Berlin" for their street fights while Hitler was on the rise. The point was to pick a major leftist city and and punish it as a show of power. And it worked.

We saw what they could do in terms of national mobilization in Charlottesville. It wasn't much. (Though they did kill Heather Heyer, which is a lot.) Now we'll see what they can do after three years of pumping up for it, and whether there's a response of violence initiated by their allies in other cities.

(I think if this fizzles, we may be past rightist violence as a major threat this year.)

As far as Antifa is concerned, Cole, that's what you're not seeing--the specific people they're fighting. A role they played in Charlottesville, when police let the rightists run wild, was fighting incipient fascists who were attacking non-violent demonstrators. I'm glad they did. They sometimes engage with the police, but then, the police sometimes side with the would-be fascists when push comes to shove. I've seen a lot of footage of cops taking a knee in a staged display of #BLM solidarity, which I bet is mostly sincere, but I've not seen footage of cops taking the side of left against right during violence.

I'm not going to tell you they're all pure of heart and mind, Cole, because I know that isn't true. It can't be, statistically, nor does it match my personal experiences. Some people just like to fight and they pick my side to fight for. Those people scare me. Some people who are on my side scare me, too. One guy I knew back in the day is now an executive at a supposedly good business, but I figure he's just as much of a shit as he was then. Probably worse, because he has more power. Though I'll ask if I ever run into a current mutual acquaintance in a position to know if he improved. I hope he did.

We've seen small beer next to the East St. Louis race riots, the Ludlow massacre, the Manhattan draft riots, the destruction of Greenwood, or the major riots of the sixties. If you look at the damage done in, say, the Detroit riots of '67, and compare it to what happened in Minneapolis, it's like comparing a broken leg to a broken toe. I say this to keep some perspective, for myself as much as for anyone. It feels like things are going straight to hell right now, because they are, but they've also been worse. The stakes are high, very high, but so far the bills have been very small, relatively speaking.

I'm sure much of this appalls my liberal friends here at least as much as it does you, Cole, but I just can't not tell the truth as I understand it. I may be wrong but at least I'm honest. I'm part of a long line of leftist and leftish American radicals, dissidents, malcontents*, and ne'er-do-well's. Paine, Emerson, Thoreau, Fuller, Warren, Tucker, Parsons, Debs, Heywood, Randolph, Rustin, King, Baker, Clark, Hoffman, Milk. There are many others. Those are some of the ones that come to mind easily.

My personal model was Abbie Hoffman. He never lined up with any ideology besides freedom and was proud of his American Revolutionary heritage as a Boston native. He did crazy things that made sense. When he got set up for his drug bust, he went underground with the Weathermen briefly, but didn't get along with the Leninist-Maoist ideology** and left. He settled himself and his new wife in a little town in upstate New York. Then he could not keep out of a fight to save a local river and ended up exposing his identity and doing time. Then he got out and kept at it till he died. What more can you ask?

All that and I never did get around to #BLM. But I've had this on my mind for a while now. I don't mind honest disagreement, so I have to be honest myself. As Tom Robbins quoted Bob Dylan in Even Cowgirls Get The Blues, right before we see what it means, "To live outside the law you must be honest."

And to be fully honest, I should admit my other model was Sissy Hankshaw--I did my best to think of her when I hitchhiked to protests and such--and not Billy West. But bless his heart for saving all those innocent lives. He was honest.

*A word you may remember from our first serious discussion.
**Me, either.** Marx and Jesus both need saved from many of their followers. I say this knowing very little about Marx--he was never relevant to me.
***I mean, seriously. There were Maoists in the late seventies who tried to organize wheat farmers on the basis of them being peasants. Really. That's what happens when you're caught in the grip of theory.
We will just have to disagree, John A. I think I had better stop talking about this now.

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:31 pm
We will just have to disagree, John A. I think I had better stop talking about this now.
I expected you to disagree. I would've been shocked if you didn't. And lot of what you said and deleted, I agree with. You pointed at the very worst of it and I won't defend it. I'm not saying you gave a complete description, just that what you said was true enough. I just wanted to give the other side.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:14 pm
You’re a good man, bubba. We might not agree on politics often but I always know you’re coming at it in good faith and that you’re honest. You’ve got my respect for whatever that’s worth.
Actually it's worth quite a bit. Thank you. Back atcha my friend and I'm glad you're back in these pages. But be careful of burn out. As you know you're carrying a heavy load.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:15 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:14 pm
You’re a good man, bubba. We might not agree on politics often but I always know you’re coming at it in good faith and that you’re honest. You’ve got my respect for whatever that’s worth.
Actually it's worth quite a bit. Thank you. Back atcha my friend and I'm glad you're back in these pages. But be careful of burn out. As you know you're carrying a heavy load.
Thanks my friend. And that is sage advice. I’ll pick my spots.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:14 am
dime in the gutter wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:11 pm
ha. lol at uga.

the stereotype.
Yeah well, since college football decided to go “woke” I
probably won’t be watching much of it and don’t much care what they do. I’ll just deer hunt more.
I didn’t watch the game, so I don’t know what you or dime are talking about
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A little less pontification, a little more laughter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/26/opin ... 029039208a

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:09 pm
We're going to see a street fight today in Portland.
I have never been so happy to be wrong in my life. Possibly the fever has broken.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

This must have tested well. And for good reason. Made me laugh.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I haven't watched the whole thing yet but I did enjoy it when Biden called Trump a clown. It's surrealistic that a significant part of the country still believes Trump's bullshit. Doesn't say a lot for the overall IQ of the country.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Finished watching. What a shit show.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Stand back and stand by.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The bottom line is that after everything up to and including last night's debacle forty something percent of Americans will still vote for Trump.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:49 am
I haven't watched the whole thing yet but I did enjoy it when Biden called Trump a clown. It's surrealistic that a significant part of the country still believes Trump's bullshit. Doesn't say a lot for the overall IQ of the country.
I don't think it is nice to ever make fun of a person's appearance.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:40 am
The bottom line is that after everything up to and including last night's debacle forty something percent of Americans will still vote for Trump.
Some are forever loyal to the elephant, while others are one-issue voters - guns, abortion, tax cuts, not separating church and state (Christianity). And love her or hate her, although it wasn’t a politically shrewd statement, Hillary’s deplorables is the perfect term for many in that base. Stand back and stand by. The President of the United States is a white supremacist and it’s in broad daylight for all to see. The dog whistle has been replaced with a bullhorn.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Shit show is right. Good night that was hideous. I was only going to watch the first twenty minutes or so and ended up watching the entire thing. It was like a train wreck. It was awful but I couldn’t look away.

I actually thought Biden acquitted himself a lot better than a lot of conservatives expected, myself included. Early on he seemed to know what he wanted to say and he pushed back quickly when Trump would try and bulldoze him. He seemed sharp on the segment when they were discussing coronavirus particularly.

Orange Man was clearly looking to take Biden’s head off and wanted to rattle him into stuttering and stammering and looking confused. It didn’t work early and lead to Orange Man bickering with Chris Wallace more than I wanted to have to listen to.

Biden clearly wanted to keep returning to healthcare as he thought he could stick it to Orange Man there and it worked to some extent. He also did pretty well in some of the climate change segment.

Orange Man bludgeoned Biden on law and order and riots which was predictable. He kept going back to it. Biden helped him by walking right into a land mine when he wanted to go after Orange Man on the tax issue. He also looked dumb when he contradicted himself on the Green New Deal and then said antifa is just an idea. I imagine people living through riots didn’t appreciate that and Orange Man smacked him with “Getting hit in the head with a bat isn’t just an idea.”

Biden’s line of the night to me wasn’t “Shut up, man.” it was “The American people wouldn’t panic about Covid. He panicked.” Of course he also walked right into Orange Man using his own words against him when he accused Orange Man of being a racist when he shut down travel from China.

I do better when I don’t look at the speaker and instead just listen as far as being able to really focus on what they are saying. When doing that Biden sounded pretty sharp early. But he looked awful. He looked like his make up had been done by an undertaker and like he was a waxed corpse in a funeral home. Boris Karloff would have been envious. Orange man looked less intimidated by being up there but just looked pissed off the entire time. I don’t know that either matters. Just things I picked up on.

Chris Wallace is taking some heat today and being accused of participating in the debate as a contestant but I don’t know that that was all his fault if I’m being fair.

Orange Man flubbed the white supremacist question pretty spectacularly. But I don’t know how much that matters to people who don’t already hate him. Not because they don’t care whether or not he is one but because they don’t believe he is. Biden claiming that he is the Democratic Party was kind of weird and he looked stupid when after saying that he tucked his tail when Orange Man asked him if he had called out the rioters and told them to stop. Toward the end he seemed rattled and tired and like he was losing focus.

In the end, Jake Tapper said it best, a hot mess in a dumpster.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Good stuff, Cole.

These debates are mostly for show, as I don't think ANYONE is going into them unsure of who to vote for. There are no nuanced differences here.

Even by the low expectations I entered with, it was awful. Possibly the worst presidential debate of all time. Trump doesn't give a fuck about the "rules his campaign agreed to", and is just going to steamroll you with words (and there isn't much you can do about it). I don't know a moderator who could have controlled Trump last night.

So we're left with almost no substance, policies or ideas. Just a lot of anger and chaos. Welcome to America 2020.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:39 pm
Orange Man flubbed the white supremacist question pretty spectacularly. But I don’t know how much that matters to people who don’t already hate him. Not because they don’t care whether or not he is one but because they don’t believe he is.
When you side with the white supremacists every time, you are one.

Good to see you round here Cole. Always appreciate hearing your POV. Hope the wife and kids are good.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:34 pm
Even by the low expectations I entered with, it was awful. Possibly the worst presidential debate of all time. Trump doesn't give a fuck about the "rules his campaign agreed to", and is just going to steamroll you with words (and there isn't much you can do about it). I don't know a moderator who could have controlled Trump last night.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Good stuff, Cole.

These debates are mostly for show, as I don't think ANYONE is going into them unsure of who to vote for. There are no nuanced differences here.

So we're left with almost no substance, policies or ideas. Just a lot of anger and chaos. Welcome to America 2020.
Anger and Chaos. You said a mouthful there my man.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Orange Man flubbed the white supremacist question pretty spectacularly. But I don’t know how much that matters to people who don’t already hate him. Not because they don’t care whether or not he is one but because they don’t believe he is.

Good to see you round here Cole. Always appreciate hearing your POV. Hope the wife and kids are good.
Thanks, Clams. Good to be around. I hope everything is good at your house. We’re doing great. My daughter turned eight the other day. Staring through my own tail lights and gathering speed.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:42 pm
Staring through my own tail lights and gathering speed.
You and me both. :)
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:
Good stuff, Cole.

First off, there is NO PART. NO PART. of last night that should ever be considered a 'debate'. Full stop. All three participants bear responsibility for that. One bears a much more significant share of that responsibility.

For too many reasons to enumerate, last night was deeply, deeply disturbing. I am embarrassed for our country. I am embarrassed to be an American.

My expectations for the 'debate' were low. I really didn't want to watch. But, I don't think ANYONE'S expectations were met. I don't think anyone expected what we got.

I was on the Debate Team in High School. Pretty good at too, placed in State. At no point, ever, even at 14 years old did I witness or participate in a less civil exchange. These are two septuagenarians that are running to be the leader of the Free World. Fucking pathetic isn't an appropriate description of what happened. Clusterfuck isn't an appropriate adjective. It wasn't a debate and I don't have the vocabulary to adequately describe it.

Last night, between fighting off screams and tears, I heard Don McLean deep down in my brain or maybe it was my soul, I don't even know what's left anymore. Only saying goodbye to Miss American Pie took on a much darker meaning.

This will be the day that I die.....this will be the day that I die.

Much more than the Music died last night. I'm unsure of what remains.

Zip... The only fucking hope we have is that goes down as the worst Presidential "Debate" that WILL ever be held. It can't get worse than that....and if it does, it won't be considered Presidential or American, it will have been long lost. The Father, Son and the Holy Ghost will be on the last train.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Cole Younger wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:42 pm
Clams wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Thanks, Clams. Good to be around. I hope everything is good at your house. We’re doing great. My daughter turned eight the other day. Staring through my own tail lights and gathering speed.
Cole, what do conservatives want? I lean liberal but describe myself as being a zen Christian & pro-human being (dignity, rights & well being). Also, I'm big on common sense & logic. I live in Seattle & what's going on here infuriates me. I suspect Putin may be involved as it is well beyond the pale. The protests/riots here haven't been in the 'hood but in the hipster "boytown" (no offense to anyone, just a realistic description) area. If they had been in the 'hood, the city government would have unleashed the death star. To me it seems conservatives want to go back to the "Ward, I'm worried about the Beav" days. That ship has sailed & sunk. I don't get normal people standing up for the uber rich & mega multi-national corporations whilst getting screwed. Everything now is greed uber alles. I'm no fan of Biden but given the other choice it's clear where the vote has to go. I love how our system is based on something that was put in to appease slave owners, the electoral college. Kind of gives lie to the whole democracy thing. The whole republic & society has turned into the epic long con. Sorry, am irate about the travesty last night. Not looking forward to having the ladies wearing habits/burkas like in Handmaid's Tale either.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

I actually sympathise with the guy that had to moderate. Trump's a sociopath, he's going to do whatever he wants. The only way to stop him doing what he did a second time is to give the moderator the ability to turn his mic off. That or give him a cattle prod.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

has everybody forgotten about the attempt to cut off reagan's mic?

turned him into a rock star.

....and reagan was a dirty word in my house growing up.

when trump acts like an asshole...turn the mic up. it's the best case against him.