The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

cortez the killer wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:well damn, I had Devos in the weekly Trump Cabinet dead pool, and I was feeling really good about my chances :roll: :roll: :roll:
After that 60 Minutes debacle, she's toast. Like Sexy Rexy, she will blow in the wind for the next 5-6 months before the axe falls.
Her departure can't come quickly enough. She is beyond incompetent and completely unqualified for the position. But, her brother seems to be caught up in, shall we say, "Russian Stuff" so god knows what kind of kompromat her family holds. Or doesn't hold. Or is subject to. I dunno. Reality is distorted.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:well damn, I had Devos in the weekly Trump Cabinet dead pool, and I was feeling really good about my chances :roll: :roll: :roll:
After that 60 Minutes debacle, she's toast. Like Sexy Rexy, she will blow in the wind for the next 5-6 months before the axe falls.
Her departure can't come quickly enough. She is beyond incompetent and completely unqualified for the position. But, her brother seems to be caught up in, shall we say, "Russian Stuff" so god knows what kind of kompromat her family holds. Or doesn't hold. Or is subject to. I dunno. Reality is distorted.
There certainly can't be in connection between Devos wanting to "harden" schools and her brother running a mercenary army. Mere coincidence :roll:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The arc of DeVos's tenure was determined the day she was confirmed. Only the exact date and the specifics of the intolerable mistake that finally breaks the camel's back remain to be determined.

Here's a question: If, hypothetically speaking, the President of the United States was an agent controlled by the Russian government how would that president act that is any different than the way Trump is acting? You couldn't get away w/ this stuff in a fictional thriller. It's already an overused cliche, but can you imagine if Obama said what Trump said about the British "nerve gas incident"? At the end of the day, McConnell and Ryan have a LOT to answer for and I can only hope that (a) things remain fixable by the time somebody willing to fix them is in charge and (b) that their names live in infamy for the rest of recorded history. Leaving all else aside, Is it possible to be a person of goodwill and a patriotic American and not be appalled and scared shitless by Trump's behavior vis a vis Russia?

In case it's not clear, this is relevant today because of how it relates to Tillerson's firing (he, like everyone else in the executive branch with actual knowledge of the facts, backed the UK's conclusions, Trump did not).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Betsy Devos is who we thought she was.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... a651dac03c

"It's called the bowling ball test; do you know what that is? That's where they take a bowling ball from 20 feet up in the air and they drop it on the hood of the car," Trump said of Japan. "And if the hood dents, then the car doesn't qualify. Well, guess what, the roof dented a little bit, and they said, nope, this car doesn't qualify. It's horrible, the way we're treated. It's horrible." It was unclear what he was talking about.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... a651dac03c

"It's called the bowling ball test; do you know what that is? That's where they take a bowling ball from 20 feet up in the air and they drop it on the hood of the car," Trump said of Japan. "And if the hood dents, then the car doesn't qualify. Well, guess what, the roof dented a little bit, and they said, nope, this car doesn't qualify. It's horrible, the way we're treated. It's horrible." It was unclear what he was talking about.
this is from a WaPo comment on the "bowling ball test":

for the test the Japanese use(d) bowling balls from the Bowling Green tragedy, thus mocking the poor victims who deserve our thoughts and prayers.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I saw the great Mojo Nixon this weekend in Austin. He managed to incapsulate my political frustration in one song. I was on the rail and caught the whole thing. (Note: some...okay ALL...lyrics are NSFW)

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:I saw the great Mojo Nixon this weekend in Austin. He managed to incapsulate my political frustration in one song. I was on the rail and caught the whole thing. (Note: some...okay ALL...lyrics are NSFW)

As the erudite philosopher James Rome (AKA pimp in da box) would say: damn, Mojo, mix in a salad :shock:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Copied from FB:

I will bet serious money that this is how we got here: Trump may not know much, but he does know what he's done and probably has a fair idea about which of the particulars are illegal. When his presidential bid moved past being a joke, he made what he thought was a calculated gamble: If he lost none of his bad acts would come out because nobody would care enough to notice or pursue them and if he won, he would be in charge and could make sure that nothing came out. But the problem w/ being Trump is that he has no idea what he doesn't know and the things he doesn't know include the Constitution, the law and the nature of this country. So there was no real "calculation" to his gamble but Trump didn't know that at first.

Believing he was smarter and more clever than everyone else, he tried to control events w/ what he regarded as subtlety: Working through Sessions, demanding loyalty from potentially key actors, casting doubts and aspersions on those individuals and institutions that were in a position to harm him. He could not understand why none of that worked the way it did when he tweeted or went on talk radio and bitched about Obama and he eventually began to realize that the more of these kinds of actions he took the more he lost the backing of a key constituency for which he has no natural affinity, i.e. traditional Republicans.

So he ratcheted up his game, turning the noise level to 11, firing those he could fire and browbeating others to fire those he couldn't fire himself. But again, he began to understand that all that he accomplished by doing this was to turn the heat up further.

And that's when he came to the key realization, which probably only happened in the past couple of weeks: Hell hath no fury like the alt-right scorned. He now sees that unless he takes extraordinary measures, it is inevitable that at least some of his dastardly deeds will come out, that they are much more serious than taking a meeting w/ some Russian flunky or computer nerd and that he will be revealed as some combination of (i) a very common, very sleazy criminal engaged in financial and political crimes such as bribery and extortion and (ii) a traitor who willingly sold out his country for financial gain and other personal advantages. AND HE KNOWS THAT THE PEOPLE HE DUPED MOST THOROUGHLY WILL TURN ON HIM W/ A VENGEANCE AND PERHAPS A VIOLENCE RARELY IF EVER BEFORE SEEN IN AMERICAN POLITICS, fueled by embarrassment and resentment at being taken yet again as much as by anger.

Thus the increasing panic and the increasingly erratic behavior. He's at the point where he has to do pretty much anything from stopping the truth from getting out up to and including firing Mueller (and firing Sessions and whomever else in order to make that happen). He's running out of room, out of options and out of allies and it all goes back to one fact (he did bad shit) and one horrendous miscalculation (that the Presiden't power to control events and people is unlimited and unfettered).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

All I will add to that is that this notion that people like Trump (the candidate) because he would "run the country like a business" failed to realize (as did Trump himself) that the President is NOT a CEO, he does not have the power to be a singular visionary and that everyone else in the "corporation" is not tasked with supporting that vision. Corporate America may have boards of directors, but they don't have Congress. Trump naively thought that his tactics in business (slimy and semi-legal as they were) would work in Washington, which of course they do not; the town is full of people who think THEY should be making the decisions. And you can't bully bullies.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:I saw the great Mojo Nixon this weekend in Austin. He managed to incapsulate my political frustration in one song. I was on the rail and caught the whole thing. (Note: some...okay ALL...lyrics are NSFW)

It's a good thing for Mojo that we aren't Spain

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

It's a good thing for Mojo that we aren't Spain

Why? I didn’t see anything insulting in the song. It is all pretty much based in fact, and Mojo is simply making a suggestion. 8-)

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Following on the heels of bubba's post about Trump's stubborn ignorance to how government works and Zip's inclusion of Trump's perceived "business acumen", here's a good piece The Atlantic ran last summer addressing both business & government and how out of touch Trump truly is with how both have evolved and operate in 2018.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ng/530490/
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

cortez the killer wrote:Image
CHOADUS

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I went to that twitter page and the account is suspended
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Lord, won't you come down and redeem us, Stormy has seen the President's penis.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

CHOADUS

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:
CHOADUS
Well played, sir.

Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

I have an idea:

McMaster should write a memo for Trump that reads: DO NOT EAT BROKEN GLASS OR DRINK GASOLINE

whatwouldcooleydo?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pl ... e1955c1f23

Republicans in Congress are hesitant to antagonize President Trump ahead of ahead of difficult midterm elections, wary of sparking a backlash from a committed grassroots base more loyal to the White House.

Amid sky-high Democratic enthusiasm and a developing “blue wave,” Republicans can’t afford a war with Trump that depresses GOP turnout. Republicans might be worried about Trump’s attacks on special counsel Robert Mueller, but they are reluctant to push back, much less support legislation to curtail the president’s ability to fire Mueller and sideline the federal probe …

“The president is, as you know — you’ve seen his numbers among the Republican base — it’s very strong. It’s more than strong, it’s tribal in nature,” said Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., who decided to retire when his second term concludes at year’s end, after periodically sparring with Trump.*

“People who tell me, who are out on trail, say, look, people don’t ask about issues anymore. They don’t care about issues. They want to know if you’re with Trump or not,” Corker added.

whatwouldcooleydo?

anyone else read this?

Read a good bit about it, and my step father-in-law raved about and left me a copy when he visited, so I started it Monday night. About 75 pages in

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else read this?

Read a good bit about it, and my step father-in-law raved about and left me a copy when he visited, so I started it Monday night. About 75 pages in
She's from Duke. Just saying. Also
http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/13/democ ... cy-maclean
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:anyone else read this?

She's from Duke. Just saying. Also
http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/13/democ ... cy-maclean
Yeah, I know, I'm trying to not hold it against her :lol:

Also aware of all the criticism about the book, definitely reading with this in mind