The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

chuckrh

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by chuckrh »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I can't say I'm steeped in libertarian theory, but as far as I know, nothing prevents libertarians from acting in the common interest or for the collective good. They just have to conclude that it is in their self interest to do so and have the freedom to make that decision and choice.

Personally, there are elements I find attractive about libertarianism and aspects that I can't make work for me, but I see their biggest problem as being associated with Ayn Rand who is imho pretty hard to stomach.
Ayn Rand was a materialistic sociopath
I was just thinking I should read some Rand. Need a good laugh!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'll say it again: Getting Trump instead of a competent rightist was a blessing. I shudder to think what someone who wasn't an idiot could be doing right now.

Trump Has No Endgame
A military coup is a bit more complicated than just calling the Pentagon and ordering them to keep you in power. Politicians and bureaucrats and judges who cooperated with you when you seemed invincible may decide they don’t want to go to jail for you now that you’re on your way out. And those bands of overweight yahoos with AR-15s may be willing to get violent on his say-so, but who will they shoot and what will they accomplish? All that would require a plan, and there is no plan.
So be of good cheer! And if this supposedly teachable moment leaves you looking at Walmart marble head stones? There's a snack for that
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I shudder to think what someone who wasn't an idiot could be doing right now.
"Lots of people are saying that Trump is a moron. The elephant in the room question is, 'What if he’s not a moron?'" -- McMurtry

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... mp-967512/

Don't remember where I got the link to read this and assume it's likely somewhere earlier on this thread, but I'm not gonna go look.
Let the outside air in

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

schlanky wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:I shudder to think what someone who wasn't an idiot could be doing right now.
"Lots of people are saying that Trump is a moron. The elephant in the room question is, 'What if he’s not a moron?'" -- McMurtry

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... mp-967512/

Don't remember where I got the link to read this and assume it's likely somewhere earlier on this thread, but I'm not gonna go look.
He doesn't have the level of planning or foresight that sort of thing requires. He's got good animal instincts and the nose of a grifter, which is a winning hand outside the a-game level. But you have to have either brains or guts to succeed at the top, and he has neither. It's not much, but, as R. Crumb said, looking back on his life around 1986:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:Better late than never.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/23/opin ... 029039208a
The people who need to hear those facts will dismiss them as fake news.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

the lowest of low-hanging fruit, I know, but I'm especially lazy these days
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image

hey, give the fat man a break, it's his exercise.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

tinnitus photography wrote:

Gotta get that cardio!

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

pearlbeer wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:

Gotta get that cardio!

That fat motherfucker drives on the green. I've never played golf in my life and I know that's a cardinal sin. What a goat fucker
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A good summary of the pluses and minuses of the libertarian approach to the virus crisis.

https://www.ft.com/content/ba100fb2-a0b ... 59191fabd8

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It seems to me that the Twitter contretemps is the playground bully scenario come to life. Twitter is, by current standards, standing up to the bully. Between those literal events, the real discomfort any normal person feels about the way Trump has tried to create a "scandal" about Joe Scarborough* and the underlying polling weaknesses down ballot Republicans like senators are starting to see (never underestimate self-interest), the cracks in the wall could well become a flood and we are at that exact tipping point. It will be interesting to see.

Also, one has to think that any conservative worth the name will have real problems supporting Trump's social media executive order. They may not come out against it but it's hard to imagine that at least the official part of the Republican machinery will rally energetically and publicly around Trump's POV on this one. The cognitive dissonance on this one should make a lot of people squirm.

* I haven't seen much in the way of "official" or institutional Republican/conservative response to the PA House virus scandal, but I have to assume that decent people are extremely uncomfortable with this behavior which hits the same nerves as the Scarborough thing. It may be too much of a local thing to gain traction but it is so representative of a particular mindset that it could well become a wave. Obviously if one or more of the exposed Democrats gets the virus this story ratchets up considerably.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Today I learned that, unlike pretty much the entire medical community in this country, SWAT/law enforcement in Minnesota has zero shortage of personal protection equipment
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:A good summary of the pluses and minuses of the libertarian approach to the virus crisis.

Only thing not behind a paywall is "Don't be a dickhead." Good start.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:A good summary of the pluses and minuses of the libertarian approach to the virus crisis.

Only thing not behind a paywall is "Don't be a dickhead." Good start.
Yeah, I was thinking of making that my sig. Funny about the paywall though. I got the article through an emailed link and did not have any problems accessing it. Not sure how or why that works.

tinnitus photography

incognito mode didn't take down the paywall either.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Again, viruses aren't political. This is yet another article that looks at it through a Dem vs. Rep lens, which is the entirely wrong way to go about it

tinnitus photography

We would have been far better off—and probably had more sympathy for one another—if people had been left to make their own choices based on expert advice and not been subject to mandates imposed by force.

That the pandemic posed different challenges to different parts of the country is clear. "Two-thirds of residents of the hardest-hit districts live in urban or dense suburban areas, compared with just 19% of those living in the least hard-hit districts," Pew Research reported this week.
while this is true, there are certainly cases of outbreaks in rural areas that showed people don't always take the best information at the time and make the most informed decisions (Albany, GA; Sioux Falls, SD).

and let's face it - not everyone agrees on what expert advice is, and who to listen to... would it be an infectious disease expert like Fauci, or a charlatan who pushes hydroxy chloroquine as a miracle cure?

It didn't have to be this way. Left to their own devices and advised by those in the know, people are perfectly capable of taking action to protect themselves and their neighbors.
this is basically Sweden's strategy. i guess we'll see what the data ultimately tells us. it's clear they are incurring more deaths than their neighbors, most by a 10-fold factor as compared with DK, NO and FI

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Again, viruses aren't political. This is yet another article that looks at it through a Dem vs. Rep lens, which is the entirely wrong way to go about it
I don't see that at all, Zip. It is a big government vs. individual liberty lens.

The next time a crisis comes along, we'll be well advised to cut government officials out of the decision making process.
That will allow us to make the choices we think right for ourselves, and to respect the contrasting decisions made by others.

Nothing Dem or Rep about the conclusion.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
Zip City wrote:
I don't see that at all, Zip. It is a big government vs. individual liberty lens.

The next time a crisis comes along, we'll be well advised to cut government officials out of the decision making process.
That will allow us to make the choices we think right for ourselves, and to respect the contrasting decisions made by others.

Nothing Dem or Rep about the conclusion.
It starts off by talking about the % of cases/deaths in blue vs. red states. That's my objection

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Calling out both red and blue on their shit is what libertarians do. When the boot of government is on your neck, it doesn't matter if it's the left or right boot.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

You don’t trust the government.....fair. That’s fine.

Based on how I’ve seen individuals behave during this pandemic, I’d argue that I don’t trust “the people” to make good choices either.

So here we are

Flea

Post by Flea »

You are both correct.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:You are both correct.
So here we are.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:I don’t trust “the people” to make good choices either.

So here we are
There are those in "Libertarian" circles who would answer fuck off slaver.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

LBRod wrote:
Zip City wrote:I don’t trust “the people” to make good choices either.

So here we are
There are those in "Libertarian" circles who would answer fuck off slaver.
eloquent