The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:
chuckrh wrote:if this were obama, the kkk would be roasting weenies on crosses burning on the white house lawn while they got the lynching setup. MAGA!
chuchrh, really? I seriously doubt it. Are you serious? Do you honestly think that would have happened? History tells a much different story as president Obama did plenty that was unpopular with a good portion of the country and thumbed his nose while he did it and nothing close to this ever happened.
I'm not sure you can make an apples-to-apples comparison. Obama did a lot that was unpopular, and a fair amount unpopular with me, but his Justice Department never dropped a case against a man who'd pled guilty to corruption personally involving the president. That's the sort of thing Nixon tried to do, but couldn't find people bad enough to do it.
Cole Younger wrote:Not that I think anybody misses me, but I never open this thread anymore and stuff like this post is a perfect example of why. I wish I hadnt this time. Don’t bother responding because I ain’t coming back for more.
I don't blame you. It's tiresome being the only person taking one side and everyone else taking the other. I've done it, but I wouldn't recommend it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
chuckrh wrote:if this were obama, the kkk would be roasting weenies on crosses burning on the white house lawn while they got the lynching setup. MAGA!
chuchrh, really? I seriously doubt it. Are you serious? Do you honestly think that would have happened? History tells a much different story as president Obama did plenty that was unpopular with a good portion of the country and thumbed his nose while he did it and nothing close to this ever happened.
I'm not sure you can make an apples-to-apples comparison. Obama did a lot that was unpopular, and a fair amount unpopular with me, but his Justice Department never dropped a case against a man who'd pled guilty to corruption personally involving the president. That's the sort of thing Nixon tried to do, but couldn't find people bad enough to do it.
it is rather bizarre that Cole chose THAT hill to die on.

John A Arkansawyer

tinnitus photography wrote:it is rather bizarre that Cole chose THAT hill to die on.
I think of it more as a last straw. We seldom get to pick those for ourselves.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:it is rather bizarre that Cole chose THAT hill to die on.
I think of it more as a last straw. We seldom get to pick those for ourselves.
I like Cole, but he has declared "I'm done with this thread" several times, so I don't buy that he'll never be back
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cole Younger is 100% a good dude.
If you don't run you rust

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:I like Cole, but he has declared "I'm done with this thread" several times, so I don't buy that he'll never be back
Clams wrote:Cole Younger is 100% a good dude.
I think it's that he's exactly what he says he is: Someone who gets that this isn't great but doesn't see it as that far out of whack with Business As Usual. He's got a point. I disagree with him, but he's not just pulling things out of his ass. There IS panic mongering and bullshit coming from my side, along with smart ideas and good advice.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

If you thought the country was divided before, just wait until the full ramifications of the rush to reopen insanity hits. 1 of my best friends lives in Montana & I can't even talk to him now as he has gone over to the dark side of the force. Keeps babbling about liberty. Definition of liberty: being able to go get drunk in a bar most nights. It's incredibly selfish. Sure Montana has a low rate but that is in part because their governor put a stay at home order in place. The virus is incredibly contagious. It's like these people are saying we don't really need the old folks, they are a drain on society anyway. Thing is younger people are dying, too. I love going to see music live but have found I can live without it for however long it takes to get a handle on this. If it takes 2 years, so be it. Same goes for sports. I know someone who almost died from the virus & he says you can't even imagine how bad it is. If the US hadn't already lost the preeminent standing in world politics, it is gone for sure now. All for the sake of the almight dollar & stock price. In reality, what does the stock price do for you? It's the long con to enable the rich to get richer. Our system is broken & at this point a failed experiment. We had a small chance to fix it with the election but the real power does not want that in the slightest. Most likely I'm not going to be alive for the end result but I fear for the kids & the world they are going to be living in. Not spouting or trying to force my religious beliefs on anyone but the lesson of Jesus throwing the money changers out of the temple has been lost. I do know that if I catch this damn thing it's most likely curtains for me. I guess this is truly you're either for us or against us. There isn't much if any room in the middle any more.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

chuckrh wrote:If you thought the country was divided before, just wait until the full ramifications of the rush to reopen insanity hits. 1 of my best friends lives in Montana & I can't even talk to him now as he has gone over to the dark side of the force. Keeps babbling about liberty. Definition of liberty: being able to go get drunk in a bar most nights. It's incredibly selfish. Sure Montana has a low rate but that is in part because their governor put a stay at home order in place. The virus is incredibly contagious. It's like these people are saying we don't really need the old folks, they are a drain on society anyway. Thing is younger people are dying, too. I love going to see music live but have found I can live without it for however long it takes to get a handle on this. If it takes 2 years, so be it. Same goes for sports. I know someone who almost died from the virus & he says you can't even imagine how bad it is. If the US hadn't already lost the preeminent standing in world politics, it is gone for sure now. All for the sake of the almight dollar & stock price. In reality, what does the stock price do for you? It's the long con to enable the rich to get richer. Our system is broken & at this point a failed experiment. We had a small chance to fix it with the election but the real power does not want that in the slightest. Most likely I'm not going to be alive for the end result but I fear for the kids & the world they are going to be living in. Not spouting or trying to force my religious beliefs on anyone but the lesson of Jesus throwing the money changers out of the temple has been lost. I do know that if I catch this damn thing it's most likely curtains for me. I guess this is truly you're either for us or against us. There isn't much if any room in the middle any more.
I hear you, Chuck. It is really, really hard. This tragedy follows four years of frustration and fear and, well, it is just hard. The lack of leadership in the country is devastating. That isn't a dig on Trump, it goes way beyond that. I'm disheartened (and scared) that I can't get decent information and guidance. I feel like I'm given guidance on how I can appropriately shop...but nothing about what is much more important...my family. Should my kids be able to play with neighborhood kids? Can I hug my next door neighbor? What about summer camps? Well checks at Doctors offices? Don't tell me how to make life a bit more normal OUTSIDE my house, help me safely make it more normal inside. I'm a fairly voracious consumer of (quality) news and trust science. But, there is just so much disinformation and misunderstanding, it is head spinning. As my wife would, I'm sure happily tell you, I have a pretty strong opinion on pretty much everything. Here, I have no idea...I don't really know what to do.

What I am coming to terms with, is that there isn't much of a plan. That's easy to see, but I'm also coming to terms with the fact that there won't be a solid plan that is science based and includes broad testing and contact tracing. That plan isn't coming, at least not this year. It all may be irrevocably broken, a society not destroyed by a virus, but that collapsed under the weight of enormous greed and stupidity.

Some days I think we can get through it, others feel like end times and I stare out my window waiting for the loctus to arrive.

You are right Chuck, there isn't a middle anymore. If we can make illness partisan, if we've lost something we may not be able to retrieve. I don't know if it comes down to you are with us or against us...we may be pretty far past that point. But, Chuck, I do know that I am with you. We all need another Rock Show before the curtain falls. Hang in there, brother.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The Libertarian [tm] mindsets of "Fuck you, I've got mine" and "I should be able to do whatever I want as long as I'm not hurting anyone" are both proving to be objectively awful mantras during this pandemic.

I'm reminded of a Jewish parable:

A group of people were travelling in a boat. One of them took a drill and began to drill a hole beneath himself.

His companions said to him: "Why are you doing this?" Replied the man: "What concern is it of yours? Am I not drilling under my own place?"

Said they to him: "But you will flood the boat for us all!" (Quoted in Midrash Rabbah, Vayikra 4:6).

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

pearlbeer wrote:
chuckrh wrote:If you thought the country was divided before, just wait until the full ramifications of the rush to reopen insanity hits. 1 of my best friends lives in Montana & I can't even talk to him now as he has gone over to the dark side of the force. Keeps babbling about liberty. Definition of liberty: being able to go get drunk in a bar most nights. It's incredibly selfish. Sure Montana has a low rate but that is in part because their governor put a stay at home order in place. The virus is incredibly contagious. It's like these people are saying we don't really need the old folks, they are a drain on society anyway. Thing is younger people are dying, too. I love going to see music live but have found I can live without it for however long it takes to get a handle on this. If it takes 2 years, so be it. Same goes for sports. I know someone who almost died from the virus & he says you can't even imagine how bad it is. If the US hadn't already lost the preeminent standing in world politics, it is gone for sure now. All for the sake of the almight dollar & stock price. In reality, what does the stock price do for you? It's the long con to enable the rich to get richer. Our system is broken & at this point a failed experiment. We had a small chance to fix it with the election but the real power does not want that in the slightest. Most likely I'm not going to be alive for the end result but I fear for the kids & the world they are going to be living in. Not spouting or trying to force my religious beliefs on anyone but the lesson of Jesus throwing the money changers out of the temple has been lost. I do know that if I catch this damn thing it's most likely curtains for me. I guess this is truly you're either for us or against us. There isn't much if any room in the middle any more.
I hear you, Chuck. It is really, really hard. This tragedy follows four years of frustration and fear and, well, it is just hard. The lack of leadership in the country is devastating. That isn't a dig on Trump, it goes way beyond that. I'm disheartened (and scared) that I can't get decent information and guidance. I feel like I'm given guidance on how I can appropriately shop...but nothing about what is much more important...my family. Should my kids be able to play with neighborhood kids? Can I hug my next door neighbor? What about summer camps? Well checks at Doctors offices? Don't tell me how to make life a bit more normal OUTSIDE my house, help me safely make it more normal inside. I'm a fairly voracious consumer of (quality) news and trust science. But, there is just so much disinformation and misunderstanding, it is head spinning. As my wife would, I'm sure happily tell you, I have a pretty strong opinion on pretty much everything. Here, I have no idea...I don't really know what to do.

What I am coming to terms with, is that there isn't much of a plan. That's easy to see, but I'm also coming to terms with the fact that there won't be a solid plan that is science based and includes broad testing and contact tracing. That plan isn't coming, at least not this year. It all may be irrevocably broken, a society not destroyed by a virus, but that collapsed under the weight of enormous greed and stupidity.

Some days I think we can get through it, others feel like end times and I stare out my window waiting for the loctus to arrive.

You are right Chuck, there isn't a middle anymore. If we can make illness partisan, if we've lost something we may not be able to retrieve. I don't know if it comes down to you are with us or against us...we may be pretty far past that point. But, Chuck, I do know that I am with you. We all need another Rock Show before the curtain falls. Hang in there, brother.
Thanks, Paulbeer. The opinions are my own & I know a lot of people won't care for them but I can't remain silent (or reasonably close to that) any more. It's all just too much & the time for action is here. Again, IMHO.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:The Libertarian [tm] mindsets of "Fuck you, I've got mine" and "I should be able to do whatever I want as long as I'm not hurting anyone" are both proving to be objectively awful mantras during this pandemic.

A group of people were travelling in a boat. One of them took a drill and began to drill a hole beneath himself.

His companions said to him: "Why are you doing this?" Replied the man: "What concern is it of yours? Am I not drilling under my own place?"

Said they to him: "But you will flood the boat for us all!" (Quoted in Midrash Rabbah, Vayikra 4:6).
I like this parable. So painfully true these days.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:The Libertarian [tm] mindsets of "Fuck you, I've got mine" and "I should be able to do whatever I want as long as I'm not hurting anyone" are both proving to be objectively awful mantras during this pandemic.

\The libertarians are not the ones making this illness partisan.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Clams wrote:Cole Younger is 100% a good dude.

Yes. Yes he is. And I'm damn proud to call him my friend. Even if his politics are a bit wonky.
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:

You speak truth, Rod, but I'm not hearing them offer solutions either.
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:

Tough to make something partisan when your party hold zero seats in Congress and has zero Governorships

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

"Libertarian" is just a synonym for "egotist".

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

305 Engine wrote:"Libertarian" is just a synonym for "egotist".
Well that's helpful.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

LBRod wrote:
305 Engine wrote:"Libertarian" is just a synonym for "egotist".
Well that's helpful.
Not intended to be necessarily helpful. But it is accurate.

It's worth listening to most people. We all have our own experiences and own takes on life. Self proclaimed "libertarians" are just at the back of the queue as far as I'm concerned.

In fairness, I might be less of a dick on this subject and be open to a less sceptical take on "libertarianism" if it weren't for the current circumstances. This is basically the worst moment since WWII in which to be a self proclaimed "libertarian".

jr29

Post by jr29 »

For about fifteen minutes I thought this covid shit would bring the political temperature down. Boy was I naive.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

jr29 wrote:For about fifteen minutes I thought this covid shit would bring the political temperature down. Boy was I naive.
Libertarians are apparently hardy, tough souls. I'm sure they can handle criticism.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

305 Engine wrote: This is basically the worst moment since WWII in which to be a self proclaimed "libertarian".
Why?

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

LBRod wrote:
305 Engine wrote: This is basically the worst moment since WWII in which to be a self proclaimed "libertarian".
Why?
Because this is the first time since WWII where we in the extraordinarily privileged western world have needed collectively (as humanity always does, when major obstacles need to be conquered) to work together to defeat an enemy which cares nothing for our individual politics.

Please, think in terms of pure individualism once we (we, as in all of us on planet earth) have beaten the virus. Until then, for fucks sake, lets work as a collective. When all do that, we'll win,

Amd when we win, dude I'll meet up with you at a truckers show and I'll buy you a beer. We'll have a chat. We'll probably have a lot in common.

Lets hope its sooner rather than later.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I'm no anarchist. I do look forward to having that beer and a chat.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

LBRod wrote:I'm no anarchist. I do look forward to having that beer and a chat.
Me too man. In fact I can't wait.

John A Arkansawyer

The behavior people are calling "libertarian" these days is more like "nihilist". Demanding your right to get and spread a disease is, like, not exactly what I want freedom for. I don't know many actual libertarians who think that's a groovy idea.

Actual libertarians are okay by me, so long as they aren't assholes, which lets out a lot of the rich ones. But a lot of people these days say "libertarian" when they mean "I can do what I want to you". Which lets in a lot of the rich ones. There seems to be a pattern developing.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:The behavior people are calling "libertarian" these days is more like "nihilist". Demanding your right to get and spread a disease is, like, not exactly what I want freedom for. I don't know many actual libertarians who think that's a groovy idea.

Actual libertarians are okay by me, so long as they aren't assholes, which lets out a lot of the rich ones. But a lot of people these days say "libertarian" when they mean "I can do what I want to you". Which lets in a lot of the rich ones. There seems to be a pattern developing.
Tell 'em, buddy.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:The behavior people are calling "libertarian" these days is more like "nihilist". Demanding your right to get and spread a disease is, like, not exactly what I want freedom for. I don't know many actual libertarians who think that's a groovy idea.

One of the major problems for true libertarians is that they've let their message be stolen by (and promoted by) the worst of the selfish assholes in this country

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I can't say I'm steeped in libertarian theory, but as far as I know, nothing prevents libertarians from acting in the common interest or for the collective good. They just have to conclude that it is in their self interest to do so and have the freedom to make that decision and choice.

Personally, there are elements I find attractive about libertarianism and aspects that I can't make work for me, but I see their biggest problem as being associated with Ayn Rand who is imho pretty hard to stomach.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:I can't say I'm steeped in libertarian theory, but as far as I know, nothing prevents libertarians from acting in the common interest or for the collective good. They just have to conclude that it is in their self interest to do so and have the freedom to make that decision and choice.

Personally, there are elements I find attractive about libertarianism and aspects that I can't make work for me, but I see their biggest problem as being associated with Ayn Rand who is imho pretty hard to stomach.
Ayn Rand was a materialistic sociopath
Now it's dark.