The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

This didn't turn out so bad. I'd expected a little worse.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

jr29

Post by jr29 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:09 am
This didn't turn out so bad. I'd expected a little worse.
Absolutely. And outside of a few races, the far-right, election denier type candidates seem like they are really getting pummeled.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Good on PA to get it right.

Ohio and Florida are lost causes
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:00 am

Absolutely. And Fetterman sounded great last night.

I'm afraid you're right, at least for the time being.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Big congrats to the king Fetterman. 🤴🏻

I was also in the camp of expecting far worse so it is what it is. Especially relieved to have Evers win in WI as it was an existential threat to people I know and love if he had not. The oldest child of one of my best friends is trans and they were facing the very real option of having to move to IL (and/or if Republicans had won a super-majority). Now she will be 18 before that becomes a possibility again. Of course this also stops the possibility of the state's 1849 (!) abortion law being enacted.

I did not expect Barnes to beat Johnson, though there remains a tiny thread of a chance of it happening (I don't believe it will).
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

jr29

Post by jr29 »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:22 am

I was also in the camp of expecting far worse so it is what it is. Especially relieved to have Evers win in WI as it was an existential threat to people I know and love if he had not. The oldest child of one of my best friends is trans and they were facing the very real option of having to move to IL (and/or if Republicans had won a super-majority). Now she will be 18 before that becomes a possibility again. Of course this also stops the possibility of the state's 1849 (!) abortion law being enacted.

I did not expect Barnes to beat Johnson, though there remains a tiny thread of a chance of it happening (I don't believe it will).
Question....Did Barnes campaign very much in the more rural parts of the state ? Some of the counties in central and northern Wisconsin are very swingy, but all I ever hear about are Madison and Milwaukee votes. Fetterman put focus on rural Pennsylvania and fared better than Biden in those places. It seems to me that kind of thing can make a pretty significant difference.

I fucking love Wisconsin. I used to work up there and when we get kids out of school my wife and I may very well move there.

Also, several more states voted in favor of abortion access. That includes Kentucky. Good on those folks.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

jr29 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:34 am
brettac1 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:22 am

Question....Did Barnes campaign very much in the more rural parts of the state ? Some of the counties in central and northern Wisconsin are very swingy, but all I ever hear about are Madison and Milwaukee votes. Fetterman put focus on rural Pennsylvania and fared better than Biden in those places. It seems to me that kind of thing can make a pretty significant difference.

I fucking love Wisconsin. I used to work up there and when we get kids out of school my wife and I may very well move there.

Also, several more states voted in favor of abortion access. That includes Kentucky. Good on those folks.
I would say he did a decent amount. I'm in the Wausau area, which is now heavily-Republican. He came through multiple times during the primary as well as the general. In this day and age, anything north of there is probably fool's gold. Especially for a black Democrat in what is a tough environment. Basically the furthest north worth going is Wausau/Eau Claire. In WI it is essentially a turnout operation in MKE/Madison. Democrats here have all but given up on my area of the state as a whole. My congressional rep ran unopposed and he's only been in for a couple terms.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Isn't the area around Ashland and Superior pretty blue, or at least purple ?

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

jr29 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:44 am
It is but only about 7K people vote way up there and there are a not a lot of potentials on the way between Wausau and the far northern counties. They don't usually get completely destroyed in Minocqua and maybe Rhinelander but I don't blame them for not sending the candidate much. They did spend far more on local radio ads in rural markets, which I think probably helped.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
You're welcome. Surprisingly PA comes through again.
Last edited by Clams on Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:

and Texas. I give up.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

jr29

Post by jr29 »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:53 am
jr29 wrote:
It is but only about 7K people vote way up there and there are a not a lot of potentials on the way between Wausau and the far northern counties. They don't usually get completely destroyed in Minocqua and maybe Rhinelander but I don't blame them for not sending the candidate much. They did spend far more on local radio ads in rural markets, which I think probably helped.
10-4
I used to work in Amherst and I think that county is still blue. Almost certainly due to UWSP I'd assume.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

jr29 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:01 pm
brettac1 wrote:
jr29 wrote:
10-4
I used to work in Amherst and I think that county is still blue. Almost certainly due to UWSP I'd assume.
Yup, Portage County is still a stronghold. The assemblywoman from there is my 5th grade teacher's daughter! However, due to gerrymanderingb it doesn't much matter anymore nationally. Dave Obey was the rep for like 40 years but that district essentially is unrecognizable compared to when he held it.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:59 am
Zip City wrote:

and Texas. I give up.
Well, Texas has always been red. Florida and Ohio were recently blue

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:
You're welcome. Surprisingly PA comes through again.
Ye of little faith. Don't doubt the big fella.

phungi

Post by phungi »

given that nearly 50% of the voters in PA and Georgia support(ed) Oz and Walker, it is only fitting that we are on page "666" of this thread...
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

phungi wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:22 am
given that nearly 50% of the voters in PA and Georgia support(ed) Oz and Walker, it is only fitting that we are on page "666" of this thread...
I saw a news report that said Walker isn't getting support from the black community. Strange days....

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

chuckrh wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:41 am
phungi wrote:
I saw a news report that said Walker isn't getting support from the black community. Strange days....
Well, he's a Republican. Also he is running against a black guy.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

brettac1 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:51 am
chuckrh wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:41 am
phungi wrote:
Well, he's a Republican. Also he is running against a black guy.
True.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Nevada and Arizona need to figure out a better system. This shit is ridiculous.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jr29 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:10 pm
Nevada and Arizona need to figure out a better system. This shit is ridiculous.
Yup.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The surprise possibility that Lauren Boebert might lose was perhaps the most delicious moment of all the stories coming out of the election. It looks like it's not going to happen (speaking of slow vote counting!) but oh my, what might have been. Especially if the Dems had been smarter about where they spent their money (see also WI Senate, Ohio Senate ...)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It wasn't so long ago that I woke up dreading to read what outrageous statement Trump had dropped overnight so this is nothing new, yet somehow it seems different. His statement that if his chosen candidates win, he deserves 100% of the credit but if they lose he deserves none of the blame is, to me, especially stupefying. I keep going back to it in my mind. I've begun to think that he must have been joking because that's the only explanation that makes even the slightest sense but it's Trump so chances are he was being straight up. That is one very, very sick mind.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:07 am
It wasn't so long ago that I woke up dreading to read what outrageous statement Trump had dropped overnight so this is nothing new, yet somehow it seems different. His statement that if his chosen candidates win, he deserves 100% of the credit but if they lose he deserves none of the blame is, to me, especially stupefying. I keep going back to it in my mind. I've begun to think that he must have been joking because that's the only explanation that makes even the slightest sense but it's Trump so chances are he was being straight up. That is one very, very sick mind.
Maybe the greatest American grifter. & that's saying something.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

chuckrh wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:25 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:07 am
Maybe the greatest American grifter. & that's saying something.
I agree that the competition is tough but he absolutely gets my vote. Just to be clear grifter and felon are the only 2 votes he’ll ever get from me.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It's just a completely mask-off statement of gaslighting. Dog whistles replaced by bullhorns

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:06 am
Especially if the Dems had been smarter about where they spent their money (see also WI Senate, Ohio Senate ...)
I'm curious what spending you'd've moved around for the Senate.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:28 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Especially if the Dems had been smarter about where they spent their money (see also WI Senate, Ohio Senate ...)
The "to" is fairly easy: WI and OH most obviously. I think AZ was well funded but more couldn't have hurt. Where that money should have come from I have not looked at.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:06 pm
Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:28 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
The "to" is fairly easy: WI and OH most obviously. I think AZ was well funded but more couldn't have hurt. Where that money should have come from I have not looked at.
I can't imagine Tim Ryan having MORE ads in Ohio than he did. They were on constantly