The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by RolanK »

Markalanbishop wrote:Sharing my nightmare. Last night I dreamed I was playing some random gig. Not unusual so far. But at one point I looked over and Donald Trump was playing bass. No specific song that I remember. Then the gig was over and Trump says to me, "Hey, I'll get my posse and you get your posse and we'll go out to some clubs." So now I need a posse. Who's in? At least I think he said "posse"--he might have said "pussy." There were no groupies but the band had roadies!!!
Did he play in the pocket?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

....and were the shrooms fresh or dried?

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

^^Thank God i don't remember any details about his actual playing. But I was remembering little details throughout the day like looking down and seeing his pasty white shins because his pants were too short. It was horrifying. And I did have spaghetti with mushroom sauce for dinner so one of my family members may have dosed me. Damn them to hell.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

#Idon'tknowwhatitmeanstobecomplicit
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:The Middle East? China? Opiod abuse? Iraq? Innovation "SWAT" team?

Is there anything Jared Kushner can't do?
Super Jared

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Devin Nunes, we hardly knew ye. :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Devin Nunes, we hardly knew ye. :lol:
gotta love his statement:

Several leftwing activist groups have filed accusations against me with the Office of Congressional Ethics. The charges are entirely false and politically motivated, and are being leveled just as the American people are beginning to learn the truth about the improper unmasking of the identities of U.S. citizens and other abuses of power. Despite the baselessness of the charges, I believe it is in the best interests of the House Intelligence Committee and the Congress for me to have Representative Mike Conaway, with assistance from Representatives Trey Gowdy and Tom Rooney, temporarily take charge of the Committee's Russia investigation while the House Ethics Committee looks into this matter.

No need to worry, Gowdy Doody's on the case :lol:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

so that's where he keeps the kush.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

I think "nothingburger" has officially replaced "feckless" as the GOP's trendy phrase of the moment

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote:Image
the princeling meets the troops

Flea

Post by Flea »

Jared Kushner on the job in Iraq

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/look-a ... e_facebook
We live in interesting times.
Last edited by Flea on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So Trump is bombing Syria. yikes
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

i posted this on facebook in response to a question along the lines of "what the fuck is actually going on in Syria?"

Here's the one and only thing you can bank on: None of us know anything about what's really going on. I thought of several conspiracy theories I thought were pretty creative and regrettably "out there" (i.e. it's too bad I've started thinking this way) and yet as soon as i log on to the 'net, I find versions of all those theories and some even more outlandlish (which is not to say they aren't true). The point is that we're all smart enough to know we're being fucked with in a big way but nowhere near smart or knowledgeable enough to know how and by whom. i hate the fuckers who have brought us to this point. I'm pretty sure there's no coming back from a post-truth, alternative fact world run by imbeciles out for nothing but personal gain. There's not a person in public life I trust to tell me the truth and there's absolutely nobody in public life I would follow to the free ice cream stand, much less to a political position/promised outcome.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

To be honest I'm not sure under normal circumstances that I wouldn't have supported a proportional response like last night's strike, but under this President, this leadership and this climate it's deeply concerning.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I don't have an issue with military strikes against Assad.

What concerns me is the immediate, and un-addressed about face the administration took on it, and how tossed-off, rushed, and sudden it seems. Also, if we're going to remove this regime we sure as shit better be providing asylum for those fleeing it, and have a well thought out plan for the long haul. Preferably one that other nations have assisted in putting together and are ready to support when the implementation stage arrives.

This is probably as good of a candidate as any for the concept of nation building, it would just nice to see us use the Germany/Japan/Italy method and not the Afghanistan/Iraq method.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I don't know what the bombing accomplished. Assad is still there, he can still use chemical weapons, it still irritates the Russians.......there is no one really to back over there.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I don't know what the bombing accomplished. Assad is still there, he can still use chemical weapons, it still irritates the Russians.......there is no one really to back over there.
Typically a proportional response is considered a diplomatic move. You tell everyone it's happening just as you launch and limit the scope of the attack. That was all done last night and generally I would agree that it was a good first step. The problem is that the next step is hard edged diplomacy through back channels and multilateral agreements to prevent attacks like the one the other day. Unfortunately I don't trust this President and his leadership to provide that kind of nuanced diplomatic approach as it's not even clear if Rex Tillerson or Jared Kushner is in charge of foreign policy. In the absence of a clear direction we have chaos and it is disturbing.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:I don't have an issue with military strikes against Assad.

What concerns me is the immediate, and un-addressed about face the administration took on it, and how tossed-off, rushed, and sudden it seems. Also, if we're going to remove this regime we sure as shit better be providing asylum for those fleeing it, and have a well thought out plan for the long haul. Preferably one that other nations have assisted in putting together and are ready to support when the implementation stage arrives.

This is probably as good of a candidate as any for the concept of nation building, it would just nice to see us use the Germany/Japan/Italy method and not the Afghanistan/Iraq method.
Zip City wrote:I don't know what the bombing accomplished. Assad is still there, he can still use chemical weapons, it still irritates the Russians.......there is no one really to back over there.
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Typically a proportional response is considered a diplomatic move. You tell everyone it's happening just as you launch and limit the scope of the attack. That was all done last night and generally I would agree that it was a good first step. The problem is that the next step is hard edged diplomacy through back channels and multilateral agreements to prevent attacks like the one the other day. Unfortunately I don't trust this President and his leadership to provide that kind of nuanced diplomatic approach as it's not even clear if Rex Tillerson or Jared Kushner is in charge of foreign policy. In the absence of a clear direction we have chaos and it is disturbing.
It's impossible to analyze all the moving parts, hidden motives and possible decision points/next steps suggested by the bombing. At one level, it's as simple as what do you do when bad people do bad things but there are no good guys? At the next level, what was accomplished is a very good question w/ no obvious answer, zip. At yet another level, was there any more to this than the time honored strategy for diverting attention from domestic crisis by creating an international incident/war? Delving even deeper, why is killing kids w/ bullets, bombs or famine ok but killing them w/ chemicals not? Do we even want to get into whose idea this was, Trump's, the Russians', some other? Is this more of Trump being duped or pushed into playing into Russia's hands? What IS our foreign policy? Is this bombing somehow part of a post truth definition of "America First" or is "America First" just another of Trump's empty slogans (was there even enough thought put into it to rise to the level of an intentional "about face" as Iowan put it)? Is this bombing the first step to a coherent policy or just another thoughtless response to TV stimulii? And on and on and on it goes... Lack of confidence and lack of trust in leaders is a truly terrible thing.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Also, I'm deeply disturbed by the notion of it being okay to bomb the fuck out of people and then telling the innocent civilians caught in the fray to fuck off when they want to escape the chaos

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:Also, I'm deeply disturbed by the notion of it being okay to bomb the fuck out of people and then telling the innocent civilians caught in the fray to fuck off when they want to escape the chaos
They didn't "bomb the fuck out of people" they bombed an airfield where planes with the chemical weapons took off. At least that's my understanding.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:
Zip City wrote:Also, I'm deeply disturbed by the notion of it being okay to bomb the fuck out of people and then telling the innocent civilians caught in the fray to fuck off when they want to escape the chaos
They didn't "bomb the fuck out of people" they bombed an airfield where planes with the chemical weapons took off. At least that's my understanding.
Which was a nice little piece of military theatre that adds up to squat. It's a token gesture that does nothing

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:
Which was a nice little piece of military theatre that adds up to squat. It's a token gesture that does nothing
Again proportional responses like this are supposed to spur diplomacy and have been used effectively many, many times. My only issue with this is that I don't trust that this administration understands the diplomacy aspect.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

In a vacuum, it didn't accomplish anything other than some kind of symbolic "fuck you", but if this is the start of a coordinated, calculated action to destroy the Assad regime, it could be worthwhile.

But it has to be that. And we have to help the people fleeing Assad. If those things aren't the case (and I suspect they aren't), it's just a waste.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Jared Kushner on the job in Iraq

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/look-a ... e_facebook
"It's okay guys! I got this. I bought my Blazer."
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
In a vacuum, it didn't accomplish anything other than some kind of symbolic "fuck you", but if this is the start of a coordinated, calculated action to destroy the Assad regime, it could be worthwhile.

But it has to be that. And we have to help the people fleeing Assad. If those things aren't the case (and I suspect they aren't), it's just a waste.
There are no good guys in Syria. There's no "win" there

Clams

Post by Clams »

I think Trump has been itching to use military force since the minute he took office and this simply gave him the excuse to do so. To show everyone he's a tough guy. Better that he did it in Syria than in North Korea.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:i posted this on facebook in response to a question along the lines of "what the fuck is actually going on in Syria?"

Here's the one and only thing you can bank on: None of us know anything about what's really going on. I thought of several conspiracy theories I thought were pretty creative and regrettably "out there" (i.e. it's too bad I've started thinking this way) and yet as soon as i log on to the 'net, I find versions of all those theories and some even more outlandlish (which is not to say they aren't true). The point is that we're all smart enough to know we're being fucked with in a big way but nowhere near smart or knowledgeable enough to know how and by whom. i hate the fuckers who have brought us to this point. I'm pretty sure there's no coming back from a post-truth, alternative fact world run by imbeciles out for nothing but personal gain. There's not a person in public life I trust to tell me the truth and there's absolutely nobody in public life I would follow to the free ice cream stand, much less to a political position/promised outcome.
Although a bit dated, I've found this post profoundly helpful in my understanding of the Middle East. It is important to really understand the religious principles being fought over, the difference between Sunnis, Shia, Kurds, etc. http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/09/muhammad- ... story.html It is a long read, but I've found it very informative.

Although the current situation is ripe for conspiracy theories (and some may be more accurate than we might hope), the situation is sadly somewhat straightforward: The area is destabilized, there is no one dictator to keep a tight clamp on the region. So, there is a fight for power, which leans heavily into religion. You knock one asshole of his throne and a bigger asshole assumes power. I think the continued used of chemical weapons certainly warranted action. The problem is, when acting unilaterally (albeit it with moral support from a few other nations) you enact a 'you break it, you bought it' policy.

Okay, say Assad is gone. What is next? You know who hates him just as much as we do? ISIS (and a bunch of other assholes). Once Assad is out, what then? We can see what happens, which historically plays out poorly. We can help prop up a leader we support, which again has played out poorly. We can go in with boots on the ground and own the place, which no one wants. Sadly, the best likely solution is a brutal dictator we can sort of tolerate. Saddam, was an asshole who deserved everything he got. But, under his watch, he pretty much kept a lid on the crazy bucket. You don't want to know how he kept that lid on, and it is wrong and sucks...but the lid was pretty much on.

So what now? What is behind Assad is likely worse, and we certainly don't want to own the region. So, I go back to the recent strike. I'll agree in principle, but I don't see the point in acting (mostly) unilaterally. Moreover, it is cruel and heartless to be willing to provide military support and refuse the provide humanitarian aid. Trump better be willing to open our doors to refugees if he is willing to attack. The 'serves him right!' strategy feels good, but the repercussions might, and likely will be, worse.

Really, I think we have two shit-sandwich type options to choose from. We can rope off the region, turn a blind eye and let it play out (horrible!) or we can fix it. If we REALLY want to fix it, we would probably need to sign up for 40+ years. It would cost billions or trillions of dollars, and in addition to the military, we would need to ship over a significant portion of our country's doctors, nurses, and teachers. Like most of our issues, the solution is education and that process will take a generation or two of effort. Sadly, that isn't going to happen either.

Either way, it is fucking depressing. My fear is the current administration does not clearly understand or have a plan for what is next. Additionally surprising is the fact that Trump's policy spun damn-near 360 when those Tomahawks launched. He ran on the principal of avoiding conflict, with a sharper focus on Nationalism. He ran on tighter collaboration with the Russians. He ran on a focus on defeating ISIS. He just, to borrow a phrase, "bombed the shit" out of ISIS's biggest strategic enemy. I hope he and his administration know what the consequences are. I hope they have a plan for humanitarian support. I hope they have a point-of-view on 'what now?'.

They called Obama weak for not standing up and punching the bully in the schoolyard...and rightfully so. However, the former President understood the repercussions of those actions and chose and different, equally shitty, path. But, I really do think he had a point of view. I'm fearful the current administration does not.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

pearlbeer wrote:Either way, it is fucking depressing. My fear is the current administration does not clearly understand or have a plan for what is next. Additionally surprising is the fact that Trump's policy spun damn-near 360 when those Tomahawks launched. He ran on the principal of avoiding conflict, with a sharper focus on Nationalism. He ran on tighter collaboration with the Russians. He ran on a focus on defeating ISIS. He just, to borrow a phrase, "bombed the shit" out of ISIS's biggest strategic enemy. I hope he and his administration know what the consequences are. I hope they have a plan for humanitarian support. I hope they have a point-of-view on 'what now?'.

They called Obama weak for not standing up and punching the bully in the schoolyard...and rightfully so. However, the former President understood the repercussions of those actions and chose and different, equally shitty, path. But, I really do think he had a point of view. I'm fearful the current administration does not.
This is spot on. We can't fix it this, the best that can be done is to use diplomacy to keep the players under watch but that requires a consistent foreign policy which I don't see any evidence of. I think we effectively have two Secretaries of State and the approaches are different. That's not going to work. When you launch a strike like this you need a solid plan from your State Department to follow through. I see none of that. To me that's why this is scary, not the strike itself.