The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: The 2012 Thread for Political Shit

Post by Zip City »

Of course you can. The sad thing is that the politicians on both sides go out of their way to curry favor with the idiots
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:I know this is a video of that absolute worst of the worst, but it's still hilarious/terrifying

It's exploitative and edited in a way to reinforce the stereotypical southerner.
Dislike.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I admitted as much in the post. Clearly it's not representative of, well, any group, and believe me, there are equally ignorant folks like this up north.

It's still hilarious, though

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Ridiculous stereotypes aside, the video DOES bring up a valid question: why does the poorest state in the country consistently vote for the party who has shown no interest in the poor? At what point (if ever) do the voters say, "this isn't working for us"?

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Christians are mocked and put down for their faith all the time. Tim Tebow for example, had he not been a Christian or open about his faith he wouldnt be mocked, but since he his a Christian people like Bill Mahar feel it's ok to mock him. Yet those same people say we can't judge other cultures like Muslims for supporting terrorism and believing in honor killings. It's a double standard.

Bill Maher is a comedian, who cares what he thinks? He has the freedom to express any opinion he wants, and others have the freedom to tell him he's an asshole. USA!

Until the government starts passing laws that limit people's ability to practice their religion, there is NO oppression. In fact, I'd say that the fact that churches get tax-exempt status means they are getting unfair advantages from the government.

I'm, somewhat, of a fan of Bill Mahr and follow his career pretty closely, and I watch his show just about every week. It should be noted that he is a self proclaimed atheist, and that he questions all religions. If you've seen his movie "Religulous" he's goes after all religions and not just Christianity. In the past, he's been very critical of the Nation of Islam and been accused of being racist by them. Point being, he treats all religions equally, but Christianity, probably, provides him the most material for his act. I for one, I'm happy that Bill Mahr is allowed to speak his mind and willing to express his views, because Rick Santorum, Newt and Sarah Palen just don't do it for me.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Apropo of nothing because this doesn't have anything to do with the present discussion but I've often wondered how others that are on social media sites such as Facebook handle situations where some of your friends have very different beliefs than you when it comes to religion, politics, etc. I have seen some of my friends speak out on issues by asking you to de-Friend them if you don't hold the same beliefs. That approach seems rather silly to me, especially since my parents had very different politic beliefs than myself so it's not like I would de-Friend them. I've also talked to others that have said they won't even Friend someone if they have different political beliefs. I also don't buy into that approach. I mostly keep my FB page free of politics, it's mainly about music (imagine that) but on that rare occasion when I do post something political it often ends up in a pissing match. Thinking some more about it, I guess some of those thoughts could also apply to music as I have been known to post music clips that some of my Friends don't necessarily agree with either. However, when it comes to politics and religion, the reactions can lead to all out wars of words and I prefer to steer clear of that because it usually ends up being a bunch of fighting without one person ever swaying the other to their way of thinking. If it was possible to discuss those topics in a civil manner I would be all for it but it doesn't seem to be possible. Unfortunately, in this day and age the rage on both sides of nearly any political debate seems to be growing deeper and deeper.

So, I'm curious to know how others handle these situations. If you use social media do you keep your page politics free to avoid all of the fighting?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I keep my fb page free of pretty much everything (i find it to be the most boring development in the wired world in years but i'm old). It seems to work.

I will occasionally tweet something political but it's not like i have a legion of followers.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

wrekkr

Post by wrekkr »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:So, I'm curious to know how others handle these situations. If you use social media do you keep your page politics free to avoid all of the fighting?

i try not delved into political bullshit on FB so i can't say anything about discussions on there. i have been CC:'d on numerous heated discussions among a large group of friends of mine via email. the ones that get there panties all bound up and irrately-uncivilized pissed off to no end are my left leaning liberals friends. i've not, nor have they de-friended me in FB, just de-friended me in life. whatever, if they want to get all assinine over a difference of opinion on near irrelevant subject matter and not hang out anymore thats their fukkn problem. i think it would be a boring world if we all were/thought the same, *yawn*. lots of similarities around here these days. whatever . . . if you like me, great if yah don't i'm not going to stare at ice melt in my empty drink glass over it. hammer.
one of the few rules at the shakk is leave your politics at home.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Smitty wrote:
Zip City wrote:I know this is a video of that absolute worst of the worst, but it's still hilarious/terrifying

It's exploitative and edited in a way to reinforce the stereotypical southerner.
Dislike.

Not to derail the conversation but I've never really understood what a southern stereotype is supposed to be. You'd be hard pressed to find sweet tea or nanner pudding around here and I've never been in a piggly wiggly but the other stuff is all the same. I grew up around just as many people who use the word nigger as you may have. Gun rights and that half breed president and state's rights and blah, blah fucking blah.

Give me a camera and an afternoon and I could find the same opinions, ignorance and poverty here in upstate NY.

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:So, I'm curious to know how others handle these situations. If you use social media do you keep your page politics free to avoid all of the fighting?

I'll occasionally post some quote or news story that I think has some value, but that's about it. As far as conflict, the only folks I associate with on FB who would rub me that wrong way are my parents. They are very much victims of the rightwing brainwashing that has happened in this country over the last decade and are basicaly tea party wing nuts (shut up LJ. I don't care). Anyone else I would just "unfriend" but when my dad posts some ridiculous, chain letter propaganda I like to lay it on pretty thick. I pull no punches and that fact that my dad has not yet unfriended me makes me think I'm making some sense to him. Probably not.
Beebs is not a ragey man

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

My first impression of this thread is how refreshingly and shockingly civil the discussion has been so far. Kind of the opposite of most conversations on the topic.

how others that are on social media sites such as Facebook handle situations where some of your friends have very different beliefs than you when it comes to religion, politics, etc.

I have purposely kept most of my political beliefs off of Facebook, maybe because I don't want to cause upheaval, or to create a situation where someone might label me because of my admittedly passionate beliefs. I admit that I have "Un-Friended" people in the past because I can't stand to read their extreme views without getting all riled up. However, the other day I couldn't help but get caught up when I saw that a friend had posted a link to "Defend Rush" regarding his incendiary comments on birth control. My friends nick name is "Hippie Bob" so you can guess how shocked I was to see that he 'Liked" DefendRush.org. Of course when I finally gathered the courage to click on the link, I got the joke. I couldn't help but "share" the link on my wall, but I'm certain that there are facebook friends of mine that didn't click through and now either think that I've gone around the bend, or that I've finally seen the light (hopefully more the former than the latter).

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

That's pretty damned funny.

http://defendrush.org/
Beebs is not a ragey man

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beebs wrote:
I pull no punches and that fact that my dad has not yet unfriended me makes me think I'm making some sense to him. Probably not.

More likely he just doesn't know how to unfriend you.

My dad sends me all sorts of crap via email forwarding - the usual mindless, factless, unsupported and unsupportable bullshit and rumors. I used to occasionally respond to the worst of it, at least to correct factual errors and misstatements, and send it to everyone up the chain, most of whom i didn't know and had never heard of. I learned a while back, though, that it never made me feel any better and that the best response was simply to not read them. So now anything my dad forwards (as opposed to something he writes specifically to me) gets immediately deleted, unread. That covers more than 99% of my email from my dad. My blood pressure has been significantly lower ever since (I made that last part up, though it should be true).

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Beebs wrote:That's pretty damned funny.

Bill Mahar calls Sarah Palin a cunt, no out rage
Rush calls some woman a slut, ohhhh the outrage!
Double standards are great
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Smitty wrote:
Iowan wrote:Santorum, and the people who support him, scare me. I really don't see much difference between his worldview and how people like the KKK or Hamas see things.

The good news is that's only about 25% of the Republicans in a given state. The bad news is that's enough to get him a nomination. I guess that guarantees an Obama victory, but I'm not wild about him either.

I'm definitely disappointed in Obama, but the alternative is unthinkable.

This

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LuthierJustin wrote:

There's no excuse for calling anyone a cunt.
There is a big difference between "sarah palin" and "some woman."

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

No there isn't, "some woman" agrees with you so anything said against her is wrong. Sarah Palin is woman who gets shit done,liberals don't like because they arent dependent on government so she's a bad person according to them.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

LuthierJustin wrote:

Maybe it's because what he said about Sarah Palin is true. Or maybe it's because Rush operates on the public airwaves and you have to pay to see Bill Maher's show. Do you not see a fundamental difference between the public airwaves and pay cable television.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I have one friend in particular who's posts on FB consist almost entirely of "news" from what I would consider to be a propaganda source. I consider nearly every one of those posts to be inflammatory to the point where they make me see red but the majority of the time I just bite my tongue. The reason being is that I've been friends with this person for 30 years and consider our friendship to be more important than us seeing eye to eye on religious and political issues so I do my best to stay out of it. However, doing so is sometimes extremely difficult. Growing up in my household, I was witness to (and was even part of) some very volatile political debates between my siblings and my parents, especially back in the 70s. No one ever came to blows or even came close to any sort of physical confrontation but the arguments were certainly very heated at times. That happening in person is entirely different than what happens on FB but still, I don't want to de-Friend someone just because they have a different outlook on politics or religion than myself. At the same time, it would be nice if we could have a civil conversation about those topics but unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be possible. Which brings to mind the old adage about steering clear of sex, religion and politics in conversation. Hell, I've seen people become very confrontational over sports. Another reason I'm kinda glad I don't give a shit about sports one way or another.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

LuthierJustin wrote:No there isn't, "some woman" agrees with you so anything said against her is wrong. Sarah Palin is woman who gets shit done,liberals don't like because they arent dependent on government so she's a bad person according to them.

What has Sarah Palin gotten done? She resigned as Governor of Alaska so she should cash in on her sudden fame. She derailed the Mccain campaign all by herself, handing the white house to Obama on a silver fucking platter. She championed the bridge to nowhere, before she voted against it, and she sold the Governors jet for a LOSS. What did she manage to accomplish besides make herself rich?

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Nope, no difference just a huge double standard
Left wing media bias

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Maybe the reason there wasn't much outrage when Maher made that vile remark compared to Limbaugh's is because Maher wields a fraction of the power Limbaugh does with the ideological movement or political party they are associated with. Or perhaps because Maher made the vile remark about a public figure who faced national election and Limbaugh's vile remarks were pointed at a private citizen. I wish we had political debate that didn't demonize and insult people we disagree with but it is what we are stuck with.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LuthierJustin wrote:No there isn't, "some woman" agrees with you so anything said against her is wrong. Sarah Palin is woman who gets shit done,liberals don't like because they arent dependent on government so she's a bad person according to them.

LJ when you don't know what you're talking about and if you can't read English shut the fuck up, ok? There is a HUGE difference between a woman who has chosen to put herself in the public eye by running for vice president and otherwise staying in the public eye and a law student who testified once before Congress. Legally, morally and every other way. Plus, what don't you understand about "THERE'S NO EXCUSE FOR CALLING ANYONE A CUNT"?

And what exactly has sarah palin gotten done, besides getting rich on her notoriety and losing an election?

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

sactochris wrote:

What has Sarah Palin gotten done? She resigned as Governor of Alaska so she should cash in on her sudden fame. She derailed the Mccain campaign all by herself, handing the white house to Obama on a silver fucking platter. She championed the bridge to nowhere, before she voted against it, and she sold the Governors jet for a LOSS. What did she manage to accomplish besides make herself rich?[quote]
What's wrong with being "rich"? Don't you wanna be rich? I do, that's why I'm going back to school, to end up making lots of money.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

LuthierJustin wrote:Nope, no difference just a huge double standard
Left wing media bias

Then your even more ignorant that I thought. So showing a XXX movie in prime time on ABC is the same thing as showing one in a movie theater that you have to pay to get into after you have proven that you are of legal age?

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

No one is forced to listen to Rush, that's the beauty of he free market. That's why the FCC is bullshit. If you don't wanna hear something or see something you can change the station. I am anti-censorship in any form. I can't believe so called "liberals" are pro. But I guess that's exactly what. Liberals believe in, censorship of things they don't agree with.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

LuthierJustin wrote:
sactochris wrote:

What has Sarah Palin gotten done? She resigned as Governor of Alaska so she should cash in on her sudden fame. She derailed the Mccain campaign all by herself, handing the white house to Obama on a silver fucking platter. She championed the bridge to nowhere, before she voted against it, and she sold the Governors jet for a LOSS. What did she manage to accomplish besides make herself rich?
What's wrong with being "rich"? Don't you wanna be rich? I do, that's why I'm going back to school, to end up making lots of money.

There's nothing wrong with being rich. I wish I was rich. Why didn't you respond to the question? What did Sarah Palin get done? I dare you to answer, but I know you won't. You will just ask another question.

Good luck on that going back to school thing. I hope you make a ton of loot. Watch your student loan balances. That's one of the biggest scams going right now. People running up a quarter of million dollars of debt so they cam get a job that pays 25 grand a year. Student loan debt is the next economic bubble.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

LuthierJustin wrote:No one is forced to listen to Rush, that's the beauty of he free market. That's why the FCC is bullshit. If you don't wanna hear something or see something you can change the station. I am anti-censorship in any form. I can't believe so called "liberals" are pro. But I guess that's exactly what. Liberals believe in, censorship of things they don't agree with.

So NBC should be able to show Deepthroat in primetime then?

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

UTHeathen wrote:My first impression of this thread is how refreshingly and shockingly civil the discussion has been so far. Kind of the opposite of most conversations on the topic.

O.K., that lasted all of an hour or so.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

I'm pretty liberal. I'm not for censoring Mr. Limbaugh. I am for letting advertisers know when someone they sponsor is a vile demagogue. I would think you would see the similarity in how conservatives reacted to Bill Mahrer's comments 11 or 12 years ago that led to him being taken off of late night network TV or to how the Dixie Chicks were treated after their remarks about President Bush.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

sactochris wrote:
LuthierJustin wrote:No one is forced to listen to Rush, that's the beauty of he free market. That's why the FCC is bullshit. If you don't wanna hear something or see something you can change the station. I am anti-censorship in any form. I can't believe so called "liberals" are pro. But I guess that's exactly what. Liberals believe in, censorship of things they don't agree with.

So NBC should be able to show Deepthroat in primetime then?

Yes, there are thousands of channels now, if you don't wanna watch it, watch CBS
But I think they won't even if they can, the free market works it out in the end. No one would sponcer it, NBC wants to make money, they won't make any if they show it. Free market wins again