The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

they say memes are the last refuge to which the scoundrel clings

(inspired by today Trump saying he "misspoke" yesterday in Helsinki)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:https://nowthisnews.com/videos/politics ... 6-election

can't find this on youtube so it isn't imbedded. MAGA CHUD at her finest :roll: :roll: :roll:

Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

chapter 10,289,666 in "holy shit, he actually said that!!!":

So many people at the higher ends of intelligence loved my press conference performance in Helsinki. Putin and I discussed many important subjects at our earlier meeting. We got along well which truly bothered many haters who wanted to see a boxing match. Big results will come!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 18, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/18/us/p ... gence.html

whatwouldcooleydo?

Inspired by Donnie’s latest verbal “winning,” I am considering changing my handle to whatwouldn’tcooleynotdo?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Howlinwolf wrote:Please leave our fucking country -

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/07 ... aters.html

fox news? :?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I can't even.

The news cycle spin faster and faster and no distinction is made between the important, the dangerous, the possibly meaningful and the stupid waste of time. It's all one big mixing bowl and it's getting harder and harder to see the big picture, much less understand it, and it's almost impossible to understand if and how any particular "development" fits into that picture. Last week was perhaps the most bizarre week in the history of the presidency (who the heck knows, but if the sheer craziness of it all is relevant then I think I'm on safe ground) and this week has started out "strong" between Trump's brazen lying about the Carter Page documentation and his laughable except he's the president Iran tweet.

IMHO, the Iran tweet should qualify as "stupid waste of time" because it was not a serious statement of policy or strategy; it was simply an exercise in diversion, of which Trump is a master. But the media covers it like it's foreign policy news and things get ratcheted up for all the wrong reasons. How I would love to see something like this lead paragraph: "President Trump tried to divert attention from his horrible week that started in Helsinki and got worse from there by attempting to gin up a controversy with Iran. But his comments were so laughable he didn't accomplish his goal while further diminishing the US's standing as a serious and influential player in international affairs."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:I can't even.

The news cycle spin faster and faster and no distinction is made between the important, the dangerous, the possibly meaningful and the stupid waste of time. It's all one big mixing bowl and it's getting harder and harder to see the big picture, much less understand it, and it's almost impossible to understand if and how any particular "development" fits into that picture. Last week was perhaps the most bizarre week in the history of the presidency (who the heck knows, but if the sheer craziness of it all is relevant then I think I'm on safe ground) and this week has started out "strong" between Trump's brazen lying about the Carter Page documentation and his laughable except he's the president Iran tweet.

IMHO, the Iran tweet should qualify as "stupid waste of time" because it was not a serious statement of policy or strategy; it was simply an exercise in diversion, of which Trump is a master. But the media covers it like it's foreign policy news and things get ratcheted up for all the wrong reasons. How I would love to see something like this lead paragraph: "President Trump tried to divert attention from his horrible week that started in Helsinki and got worse from there by attempting to gin up a controversy with Iran. But his comments were so laughable he didn't accomplish his goal while further diminishing the US's standing as a serious and influential player in international affairs."
Bubba, my personal theory is we are living in the 4th Reich. Everything is being orchestrated by the corporate overlords. They tried it in Germany & we know how that turned out but lessons were learned. The propaganda & brainwashing are endless & it starts young. I don't think people are going to wake up until its way too late. It may be too late already. They thought they were waking up by putting the "outsider" Trump in power. Turns out he's worse than what was there before. Shocking! It saddens me to say it but I think our form of democracy is a failed experiment at this point. To turn a phrase, greed "trumps" all. Whatever good has been done since the 60s is being systematically undone all in the name of the almighty dolllar. I could go on & will at a later date. Recovering from chemo cycle & trying to get back in shape for work on Wednesday, as much as I hate it.

scotto

Post by scotto »

beantownbubba wrote:IMHO, the Iran tweet should qualify as "stupid waste of time" because it was not a serious statement of policy or strategy; it was simply an exercise in diversion, of which Trump is a master. But the media covers it like it's foreign policy news and things get ratcheted up for all the wrong reasons...
It would be a stupid waste of time if it weren't for the fact that the caps-lock yammering wasn't crazy grandad, but the fucking president of the fucking United mother fucking States.
But yeah, I feel for the press/media who are caught between journalistic ethics and wanting to call Trump out on his dangerous, ridiculous, unhinged bullshit. Wish they could lead with "And President Trump lied again today," but can't because objectivity.
I can't even, either.

John A Arkansawyer

scotto wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:IMHO, the Iran tweet should qualify as "stupid waste of time" because it was not a serious statement of policy or strategy; it was simply an exercise in diversion, of which Trump is a master. But the media covers it like it's foreign policy news and things get ratcheted up for all the wrong reasons...
It would be a stupid waste of time if it weren't for the fact that the caps-lock yammering wasn't crazy grandad, but the fucking president of the fucking United mother fucking States.
But yeah, I feel for the press/media who are caught between journalistic ethics and wanting to call Trump out on his dangerous, ridiculous, unhinged bullshit. Wish they could lead with "And President Trump lied again today," but can't because objectivity.
I can't even, either.
The way to cut through this is straight ahead, harsh but bracing. He doesn't do things to distract us: They are not diversions, though they do divert us; they are his policy, his and his cabinet and his varied lackeys and his apparent owners.
  • Child separation is a feature, not a bug.
    Threatening war over words is a policy, not a gaffe.
    Breaking up the post-war world order is a goal, not a side-effect.
    Pissing in your face and telling you it's raining is a press briefing, not a common bald-faced fucking lie.
This is who he is. Just because he's incompetent in so many ways doesn't mean he doesn't have the power and authority to surround himself with strong-stomached swine who are not. They too are who he is. He is the id and the raving heart and they are the superego and the muscular body. Their actions as a whole are incoherent because he himself, thank goodness, is incoherent; individually, they vary from trivial to abhorrent.

Be grateful they don't make up a sensible policy. Consider the alternative.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

chuckrh wrote:

Bubba, my personal theory is we are living in the 4th Reich. Everything is being orchestrated by the corporate overlords. They tried it in Germany & we know how that turned out but lessons were learned. The propaganda & brainwashing are endless & it starts young. I don't think people are going to wake up until its way too late. It may be too late already. They thought they were waking up by putting the "outsider" Trump in power. Turns out he's worse than what was there before. Shocking! It saddens me to say it but I think our form of democracy is a failed experiment at this point. To turn a phrase, greed "trumps" all. Whatever good has been done since the 60s is being systematically undone all in the name of the almighty dolllar. I could go on & will at a later date. Recovering from chemo cycle & trying to get back in shape for work on Wednesday, as much as I hate it.
I can't disagree with anything you said. What gives me hope at this point is that the Trump supporters I know all tend to skew toward the older crowd while all of the young people I know (nieces, nephews, interns at my office, etc.) all recognize Trump for the moronic dangerous fool that he is. And I know that mostly reflects the reality of the new world in which we live, i.e., that people more than ever live in isolated echo chambers surrounded by those who agree with their political and social beliefs. But I still take solace in how many young, engaged, remarkable people I know who are smart enough to recognize bullshit when they see it.

More importantly, feel better man.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Mr. B wrote:
chuckrh wrote:

I can't disagree with anything you said. What gives me hope at this point is that the Trump supporters I know all tend to skew toward the older crowd while all of the young people I know (nieces, nephews, interns at my office, etc.) all recognize Trump for the moronic dangerous fool that he is. And I know that mostly reflects the reality of the new world in which we live, i.e., that people more than ever live in isolated echo chambers surrounded by those who agree with their political and social beliefs. But I still take solace in how many young, engaged, remarkable people I know who are smart enough to recognize bullshit when they see it.

thank you

scotto

Post by scotto »

chuckrh wrote:
Mr. B wrote:
chuckrh wrote:
thank you
What he said. Take care.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Last weekend on NPR I listened to a show (can't remember the name of it) that provided another reason/piece to the "how did we get here?" discussion. It was an hour-long discussion on the Overton Window and its effect on modern American politics. There's a solid article in Politico Magazine from January 2018 on what it is how Trump has manipulated it to serve his interests.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ing-217010
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Threatening war over words is a policy, not a gaffe.
If we're talking about the recent Iran tweet, I disagree. It's neither policy nor gaffe. It was absolutely intentional, but Trump's intent was not to articulate or set policy, he intended to move the spotlight from Helsinki and related matters to something, anything else. He succeeded. Trump doesn't have an Iran policy and nothing about that tweet changed that fundamental fact.
Mr. B wrote:More importantly, feel better man.
This.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
If we're talking about the recent Iran tweet, I disagree. It's neither policy nor gaffe. It was absolutely intentional, but Trump's intent was not to articulate or set policy, he intended to move the spotlight from Helsinki and related matters to something, anything else. He succeeded. Trump doesn't have an Iran policy and nothing about that tweet changed that fundamental fact.
I don't know that I even give him that much credit. I think he's a dumb dog who sees a squirrel and chases it. He can't concentrate on any one thing for very long. He is a caveman who yells at things he doesn't understand
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I don't know that I even give him that much credit. I think he's a dumb dog who sees a squirrel and chases it. He can't concentrate on any one thing for very long. He is a caveman who yells at things he doesn't understand
I never want to be on the side of the argument that's for Trump's intelligence but check out the pattern. The spotlight shifting pseudo controversy thing is too consistent to be random.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I never want to be on the side of the argument that's for Trump's intelligence but check out the pattern. The spotlight shifting pseudo controversy thing is too consistent to be random.
I think you can acknowledge his ability to manipulate the media (and his followers) without conceding that he is intelligent. To most rational people, it is pretty clear Donald Trump is an incompetent, stumbling, pig-headed, ignorant narcissist. However, he has a long, successful track record of shifting the media narrative and dodging the consequences of his abhorrent behavior. I think those days are numbered, but to this point, he has been successful in changing the subject when he is caught in a lie and/or compromising situation and emerging from these shitstorms that would bring down most others.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:I think you can acknowledge his ability to manipulate the media (and his followers) without conceding that he is intelligent. To most rational people, it is pretty clear Donald Trump is an incompetent, stumbling, pig-headed, ignorant narcissist. However, he has a long, successful track record of shifting the media narrative and dodging the consequences of his abhorrent behavior. I think those days are numbered, but to this point, he has been successful in changing the subject when he is caught in a lie and/or compromising situation and emerging from these shitstorms that would bring down most others.
Sums it up very nicely.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Sure he has an Iran policy. It's "Watch your step or we'll kill you and take your shit. Or maybe I'll wake up and just do it for no reason at all." His urges and prejudices are his policies, by virtue of his power to make them happen. Sure, it distracts, but the distraction is not the point. Or perhaps what you perceive as distraction is the main act.

He's been very consistent on quite a few issues over the years, among them hyper-nationalist supremacism. And he's been very consistent as president at doing everything he can to keep his plurality frothing and ready to explode at a moment's notice. Stoking nationalist bigotry is a policy, like it or not.

whatwouldcooleydo?

I thought trade wars were "good and easy to win"???

So Trump starts an ill-advised trade war that significantly impacts a group of people from states that support him and the solution is $12 billion of welfare--I mean, bailout :roll: :roll: :roll:

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I thought trade wars were "good and easy to win"???

So Trump starts an ill-advised trade war that significantly impacts a group of people from states that support him and the solution is $12 billion of welfare--I mean, bailout :roll: :roll: :roll:
So are the Republicans in Congress and the Echo Chamber going to call this out as Socialism?
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:

So are the Republicans in Congress and the Echo Chamber going to call this out as Socialism?
my thought exactly!

scotto

Post by scotto »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Flea wrote:

my thought exactly!
I was wondering if the $12 billion was more or less than what we're "saving" with the tariffs.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

So the conservative party interfered with free trade, causing massive financial losses to an American industry, and is now using billions of tax payer dollars to make up for it?

If that isn't classic conservativism, I don't know what is.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowan wrote:So the conservative party interfered with free trade, causing massive financial losses to an American industry, and is now using billions of tax payer dollars to make up for it?

If that isn't classic conservativism, I don't know what is.
On top of all that, imagine if this scenario was happening to a blue state industry that is not made up of Trump’s base. Do you think said blue state industry would receive such “direct assistance”?

First time long time, I’ll take my my answer off-air

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:

Well, they actually are but NBC News had a piece titled something like "Congress Doth Protest Too Much". They're going on an on about how much they hate this but in reality Trump has given them a huge gift. Now they don't have to contradict him on tariffs in Congressional races. FUCK THESE PEOPLE
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Flea wrote:

Well, they actually are but NBC News had a piece titled something like "Congress Doth Protest Too Much". They're going on an on about how much they hate this but in reality Trump has given them a huge gift. Now they don't have to contradict him on tariffs in Congressional races. FUCK THESE PEOPLE
This is actually the smartest, most clever thing this Administration has done to date by (a) announcing it well before funds will actually be made available (quieting the rumbling & grumbling while doing nothing); and (b) finding a source of funding that did not have to be approved by Congress. The latter in particular is a stroke of genius imho. It accomplishes everything could have hoped for, especially giving Republicans running for re-election cover while letting them off the hook and of course dampening any potential revolt by a part of the base.