The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by pearlbeer »

Warning: I'm not sure I have a point to make, but do feel the need to rant a bit.

What the fuck is going on with Trump's racist tweets? I'm sure that they are specifically designed to trigger a libtard snowflake like me. It's working. It is so disgusting and foul, it is impossible to look away.

But, I just don't understand the complete lack of consequences. In over two decades in the workforce, I'm confident that I have never been employed by a company that would put up with this. He is attacking coworkers, employees, constituents and people of color. If I sent an email and called Liz in Accounting a dirty whore, I'd be fired. If any CEO in America did this kind of thing, they'd be fired. Hell, if an NFL owner tweeted something similar, the shit would hit the fan. If my children acted like this, there would be hell to pay in the pearlbeer household.

Yet this orange asshole gets a pass? I just don't get it. It is so very depressing and so very embarrassing.

If we make it through this, I hope we can collectively remember. Remember those who did not stand up for others, those that made excuses for his behavior. Remember those that came to his defense, remember those that ran and hid.

These days, it feels like I'm living in a bizarro world. More that once I've asked my wife "is this REAL? is this happening?". I can take it...if I am dead or living in some sort of awful matrix, you guys please just tell me.

I just don't get it. This is SO. FUCKED. UP.

End of rant. Fuck Trump!
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

My ongoing theory is this:

No one is holding him accountable because he is the litmus test for public perception of politicians. Other politicians let him say whatever he wants and do crazy shit, because THEY want to do and say crazy shit, but want a useful idiot to do it first to see if it flies
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I can't really explain the inexplicable, but I offer this thought: He gets away with it because he is actually EXPECTED to say this stuff. It's what "his people" WANT him to say and do and there are enough of them, gerrymandered into enough powerful votes, that they can't just be dismissed. Add in the politicians who WISH they had the license to say what he does and the Democrats' total ineffectiveness and confusion, and we're left w/ a bunch of really rousing newspaper opinions and righteously angry op-ed pieces from the usual suspects.

In the alternative, unless a president can be impeached for being a racist (possible I suppose but the practical impediments are daunting), the only cure for a racist president is to vote him out of office if those who are appalled can manage it. So it may be that we're in a state of suspended animation, the relative quiet before the storm until November 2020 when, who knows, a tsunami of real anger, pent up frustration and the remains of our moral selves may rise up and take back our country. Hey, it could happen.

We also need to understand the world we live in; in particular we need to understand that it has changed considerably from the world we think we understood. It was not so long ago that the suggestion that America is no longer great inherent in the Make America Great Again slogan would have been enough by itself to disqualify any candidate. Now it's a rallying cry and symbol that speaks volumes. It's clear we're in the midst of an attempted counter-revolution driven by fear and emotion. Logic and merit (to say nothing of position papers) are not really useful tools in this kind of situation. The problem is that we still haven't figure out what tools are effective and how to wield them.

At a minimum I believe that there needs to be some designated Democrat whose job is to get down in the mud w/ Trump and roll around w/ him on his terms, to call him out for who and what he is over and over and over again as many times as it takes. Armed w/ attitude, a willingness to push old boundaries, perhaps a tough guy accent, some sound bites and a good slogan or 3, that may be the best way to fight back until November 2020 provides a better alternative.

Fuck Trump.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
In the alternative, unless a president can be impeached for being a racist (possible I suppose but the practical impediments are daunting), the only cure for a racist president is to vote him out of office if those who are appalled can manage it. So it may be that we're in a state of suspended animation, the relative quiet before the storm until November 2020 when, who knows, a tsunami of real anger, pent up frustration and the remains of our moral selves may rise up and take back our country. Hey, it could happen.

You're so cute when you're using your imagination! Do you truly think the disjointed state of the Democratic Party can counter his rat fuckery? We've got this apricot malignancy for at least another 4 year term.
Now it's dark.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

You're so cute when you're using your imagination! Do you truly think the disjointed state of the Democratic Party can counter his rat fuckery? We've got this apricot malignancy for at least another 4 year term.
I truly believe the good soul of this country will coalesce around a non-Trump in spite of the disjointed state of the Democratic party and vote the apricot malignancy out.
But I'll also admit to being an optimistic dreamer. We'll see.
Fuck Trump.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

are there really that many racists in the US?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

are there really that many racists in the US?
a) yes
b) Trump's entire strategy (to this point) is counting on it

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
Wrong. I am cute all the time.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Apropos of innumerable comments I've made over the past couple of years, note the very satisfying reaction to the "Moscow Mitch" moniker applied to McConnell. Note that the label lacks subtlety and nuance and is arguably unfair to McConnell in some ways. So what? It captures a larger truth in an easy to digest, immediately understandable, alliterative way. We need more of this. Lots more, especially directed at trump.

Also note that the Dana Milbank column in the WaPo that presumably sparked some of this brouhaha referred to Moscow Mitch as a "russian asset." Milbank was very clear in saying that he didn't mean that Mitch was in the employ of Moscow, only that, intentionally or not, his actions are aiding Moscow. Another sly rhetorical device but it's working.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:Apropos of innumerable comments I've made over the past couple of years, note the very satisfying reaction to the "Moscow Mitch" moniker applied to McConnell. Note that the label lacks subtlety and nuance and is arguably unfair to McConnell in some ways. So what? It captures a larger truth in an easy to digest, immediately understandable, alliterative way. We need more of this. Lots more, especially directed at trump.

Also note that the Dana Milbank column in the WaPo that presumably sparked some of this brouhaha referred to Moscow Mitch as a "russian asset." Milbank was very clear in saying that he didn't mean that Mitch was in the employ of Moscow, only that, intentionally or not, his actions are aiding Moscow. Another sly rhetorical device but it's working.
Mitch went onto the Senate floor yesterday to give a little speech about how his fee-fee's were hurt by the Moscow Mitch stuff. It was all well and good, except that he didn't follow up by allowing the bill in question to be voted on, so Fuck Mitch and Fuck Trump

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Apropos of innumerable comments I've made over the past couple of years, note the very satisfying reaction to the "Moscow Mitch" moniker applied to McConnell. Note that the label lacks subtlety and nuance and is arguably unfair to McConnell in some ways. So what? It captures a larger truth in an easy to digest, immediately understandable, alliterative way. We need more of this. Lots more, especially directed at trump.

Mitch went onto the Senate floor yesterday to give a little speech about how his fee-fee's were hurt by the Moscow Mitch stuff. It was all well and good, except that he didn't follow up by allowing the bill in question to be voted on, so Fuck Mitch and Fuck Trump
IMO Moscow Mitch and the R Senators should be held criminally liable if there continues to be Russian meddling. The legal standard for gross negligence is well established. The standard for just plain gross should be applicable as well.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

:( :( :(
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

But Texas is where all the good guys with guns are.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Just gonna put this into cyberspace: I want to be the sugarcream in a Marianne Williamson - Jennifer Granholm cookie.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:Just gonna put this into cyberspace: I want to be the sugarcream in a Marianne Williamson - Jennifer Granholm cookie.
You just watched Bill Maher, didn’t you?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Flea wrote:Just gonna put this into cyberspace: I want to be the sugarcream in a Marianne Williamson - Jennifer Granholm cookie.
Are those the creative lengths one has to go to to avoid being called a creep in 2019?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
You just watched Bill Maher, didn’t you?
Well spotted.
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

cortez the killer wrote:
Are those the creative lengths one has to go to to avoid being called a creep in 2019?
Let the record show that Cortez disagrees! :lol:
Now it's dark.

cortez the killer

Flea wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Quite the opposite. It's a humbling moment when you move from MILF to GILF, but as Mick says, "time waits for no one," As long as nobody gets hurt, Biology > PC Culture.
- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

cortez the killer wrote:
Flea wrote:
cortez the killer wrote: Are those the creative lengths one has to go to to avoid being called a creep in 2019?
Quite the opposite. It's a humbling moment when you move from MILF to GILF, but as Mick says, "time waits for no one," As long as nobody gets hurt, Biology > PC Culture.
And that, my friends, is the beauty of becoming an older guy: a higher percentage of the female population looks better with every passing year.
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

cortez the killer wrote:Quite the opposite. It's a humbling moment when you move from MILF to GILF, but as Mick says, "time waits for no one,"
That's funny. He used to say time was on his side.
Flea wrote:And that, my friends, is the beauty of becoming an older guy: a higher percentage of the female population looks better with every passing year.
Yeah. My eyesight is going, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

:( :( :(

scotto

Post by scotto »

It's not mental illness. Or video games. It's fucking guns.

whatwouldcooleydo?

scotto wrote:It's not mental illness. Or video games. It's fucking guns.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:It's a humbling moment when you move from MILF to GILF,
Worthy of quoting. Potentially a book title, too, though it already gives new meaning to Fifty Shades of Gray.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As long as a substantial portion of the population hears "we need better gun regulation" and understands "they're coming for my guns," the status quo will not change. There is actually a chasm between those two statements and somehow that distance needs to be inserted into the conversation.

RIP to so many victims, to so many shattered families and broken dreams. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The thing about the mental health response isn’t that it’s wrong so much as the people who parrot it aren’t actually willing to take meaningful action to increase access to mental health care.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Iowan wrote:The thing about the mental health response isn’t that it’s wrong so much as the people who parrot it aren’t actually willing to take meaningful action to increase access to mental health care.
I think this should be a talking point.

We have a gun issue. We should have universal background checks. Republicans: Ummmm. No.

The issue is mental health. We should have universal health/mental care. Republicans: No way.

The party of no.

cortez the killer

Iowan wrote:The thing about the mental health response isn’t that it’s wrong so much as the people who parrot it aren’t actually willing to take meaningful action to increase access to mental health care.
- DPM