The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:If we REALLY want to fix it, we would probably need to sign up for 40+ years. It would cost billions or trillions of dollars, and in addition to the military, we would need to ship over a significant portion of our country's doctors, nurses, and teachers. Like most of our issues, the solution is education and that process will take a generation or two of effort. Sadly, that isn't going to happen either.
No problems w/ anything you said, PB, except that this is a severe, and I mean seriously off, understatement. We are talking about problems not years, decades or even generations in the making. We are talking centuries, even millenia! 40 years of education and aid doesn't even register against that tide.

I don't think there are any perfect or even any good answers that will "solve" the middle east. To me, the best of a bad lot of options is to decrease the industrial world's dependence on oil to the point where it is not a strategic resource and it does not generate fortunes in hard currency for the regimes that happen to sit on top of it. This will not end the region's problems, of course. It will make some of the ones that "nobody" talks about even worse (e.g. extreme poverty and hopelessness of the Palestinians among others). But it will reduce the level of tension and the impact of the problems on the rest of the world, leaving the locals to work it out. When there's nothing to fight over, the fight will become much less important to everyone, even the people doing the fighting. The law of unintended consequences will no doubt assert itself in ways I can't predict but again, the stakes will be much lower. Let's remember that other than Israel (in very convoluted ways, to understate considerably), Egypt and some version of Iran, the countries of the Middle East are a relatively modern, wholly Western, creation (assuming Turkey doesn't count as the middle east). Take the Western constructs, influences and concerns out of the picture and the picture changes considerably.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote: No problems w/ anything you said, PB, except that this is a severe, and I mean seriously off, understatement. We are talking about problems not years, decades or even generations in the making. We are talking centuries, even millenia! 40 years of education and aid doesn't even register against that tide.
100% fair. I suppose I should have bolded, underlined and moved up to 48pt. font for the '+'. My point here is: we aren't remotely close to willing to sign up for even 40 years.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote: No problems w/ anything you said, PB, except that this is a severe, and I mean seriously off, understatement. We are talking about problems not years, decades or even generations in the making. We are talking centuries, even millenia! 40 years of education and aid doesn't even register against that tide.
100% fair. I suppose I should have bolded, underlined and moved up to 48pt. font for the '+'. My point here is: we aren't remotely close to willing to sign up for even 40 years.
ROFL. I have to confess I didn't even see the "+". :lol: :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
The Lake Co Sheriff's Office using Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi as a recruiter or a trainer?
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:
The Lake Co Sheriff's Office using Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi as a recruiter or a trainer?
Nexus is a mighty big word for a country sheriff like him

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
Terrifying. I think Trump thinks he is stopping a bully in the schoolyard. Just like Syria, the administration has no discernible policy and increasingly it appears like they do not have a clear understanding of what the optimal outcome is. Just like Syria, North Korea is a shit-sandwich of a situation. Action might be warranted, even justified; but de-stabilizing the region could have profound repercussions and will likely make the situation worse.

It is bizarre to think that the highest level of our Government does not have a baseline understanding of Foreign Policy. But when you have people like Trump, Bannon, Tillerson and Kushner pulling the strings, it is just a very, very sad reality. I mean, Sean Spicer seemed at least somewhat surprised that Hitler used chemical weapons on his own people?!?? There is a staggering lack of knowledge and understanding.

Just like Health Care, these assholes like to bitch about how everyone is doing it wrong. However, when given a chance, it is revealed that there is no alternate plan or position. That is really scary when discussing domestic policy. It is horrifying if that logic is applied to Foreign Policy.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

To me the scary thing is that I have no idea what our foreign policy is. As the nationalistic Steve Bannon seems to be losing control the strategy seems to be coming closer to what we've known over the last couple of decades but with a recklessness and lack of leadership that is truly scary. Tillerson is Secretary of State but Kushner appears to handling part of that role. That's just not tenable. When they make these threatening statements towards Syria and North Korea do they have an endgame or are they winging it? The world in general is in a precarious place right now and we need diplomacy with nuance and steady hands instead we get something resembling the Keystone Cops.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Alabama just passed a bill that allows churches to form their own police departments, so we have that going for us
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:Alabama just passed a bill that allows churches to form their own police departments, so we have that going for us
Yeah, Alabama is having a rough week. Oh and Roy Moore is contemplating a run for Governor. Get out your goat fucking hats it's gonna be a party.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:Alabama just passed a bill that allows churches to form their own police departments, so we have that going for us
This country is a fucking race to the bottom.

What kind of jurisdiction do they have? If this is basically private security that doesn't extend authority past it's own property, it won't have much practical effect on the public. But I'm sure it's way worse than that.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I live just a few miles from that church. They are indeed bigger than some small universities, but Briarwood is one of the last churches anywhere that should be allowed to have its own police department. Iowan touches on what scares me. I think they have to be up to something, otherwise they could just hire private security. Both of their locations are on heavily traveled roads. I won't be a bit surprised if they start setting up road blocks every Friday and Saturday nights in front of their campuses or something crazy like that.

I've seen the writing on the wall for a while about Moore running for governor. Hopefully the goat-fucking scandal will be exposed before the election.
Let the outside air in

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

schlanky wrote:I live just a few miles from that church. They are indeed bigger than some small universities, but Briarwood is one of the last churches anywhere that should be allowed to have its own police department. Iowan touches on what scares me. I think they have to be up to something, otherwise they could just hire private security. Both of their locations are on heavily traveled roads. I won't be a bit surprised if they start setting up road blocks every Friday and Saturday nights in front of their campuses or something crazy like that.

I've seen the writing on the wall for a while about Moore running for governor. Hopefully the goat-fucking scandal will be exposed before the election.
Wait. You get your own police department AND you don't have to pay taxes? Holy Fucking Shit!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:shock: Well, no, really: How can I be shocked by anything that happens in these out of control states (see e.g. NC proposed bill banning gay marriage). But still kind of shocking. I would say that I'd love to understand the jurisdiction this police dept is supposed to have but actually I'm guessing I wouldn't love it at all. Still, kind of interesting in a perverse sort of way. A church w/ arrest powers? Really?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
:shock: Well, no, really: How can I be shocked by anything that happens in these out of control states (see e.g. NC proposed bill banning gay marriage). But still kind of shocking. I would say that I'd love to understand the jurisdiction this police dept is supposed to have but actually I'm guessing I wouldn't love it at all. Still, kind of interesting in a perverse sort of way. A church w/ arrest powers? Really?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

schlanky wrote:I live just a few miles from that church. They are indeed bigger than some small universities, but Briarwood is one of the last churches anywhere that should be allowed to have its own police department. Iowan touches on what scares me. I think they have to be up to something, otherwise they could just hire private security. Both of their locations are on heavily traveled roads. I won't be a bit surprised if they start setting up road blocks every Friday and Saturday nights in front of their campuses or something crazy like that.

The roads are public property.

There is no way in hell that them patrolling public highways would hold up in front of the SCOTUS. Even today.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Iowa lawmakers pass the state’s most expansive gun rights bill ever

Among the bill’s more controversial parts is a “Stand Your Ground” provision that says citizens who are not doing anything illegal can lawfully use “reasonable force, including deadly force” if they believe their lives are being threatened. The bill also frees a person who kills an “aggressor” from civil liability if he or she can justify the use of force.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Get out your goat fucking hats it's gonna be a party.
Isn't that the Alabama state motto?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This wins the inner webs for today. Bravo.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
This wins the inner webs for today. Bravo.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

We dropped the biggest non-nuclear bomb in our arsenal on Afghanistan.

First ever military use of the MOAB

Big dick swinging by the Trumpster Fire

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Iowa lawmakers pass the state’s most expansive gun rights bill ever

Among the bill’s more controversial parts is a “Stand Your Ground” provision that says citizens who are not doing anything illegal can lawfully use “reasonable force, including deadly force” if they believe their lives are being threatened. The bill also frees a person who kills an “aggressor” from civil liability if he or she can justify the use of force.
The state's Republican party is just out of control. Iowa's always been a state to pendulum back and forth from right to left, and I think this insanity is already igniting a backlash among the unaffiliated folks who voted heavily Republican this cycle. At least the ones I've talked to.

But I guess I can legally murder people now, which is fun.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:We dropped the biggest non-nuclear bomb in our arsenal on Afghanistan.

Wonder what kind of cake he was eating this time? :roll: :roll: :roll:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:We dropped the biggest non-nuclear bomb in our arsenal on Afghanistan.

We should probably consider it a victory that he didn't drop the MOAB on Moab

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

and it was awesome!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Wolf wrote:

and it was awesome!
Imagine if the millions spent on that thing was spent on veterans instead

Clams

Post by Clams »

Going to war with North Korea, Syria and Russia? Yeah, that sounds cool.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Wolf wrote:

and it was awesome!
i know you just like to troll (unlike Cole, who actually puts effort and thought into his views), but what do you think this did and will accomplish?