The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Anybody understand how Mitch McConnell keeps his job? I mean, if u were a rank and file Republican senator wouldn't u be some serious combination of pissed, embarrassed & frustrated & wouldn't you want to blame someone?
I think Republicans will give him a lifelong pass based on the Supreme Court seat that he stole. I hate the MF'er for doing it but have admit it was as brilliant a play as it was heinous. Conservatives will be in his debt forever.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:Anybody understand how Mitch McConnell keeps his job? I mean, if u were a rank and file Republican senator wouldn't u be some serious combination of pissed, embarrassed & frustrated & wouldn't you want to blame someone?
The internet has all the answers or at least a partial answer: http://www.thedailybeast.com/senate-rep ... are-defeat

Excellent point, Clams, but politicians are not known for their loyalty and they all have their own re-elections to worry about (some sooner than others of course). I understand he gets big points for the brilliant if heinous S Ct maneuver but going on 9 months w/out a single achievement when your party controls the government?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So some certainly good news, and some possibly good news.

On the possibly good news front, Judge Roy "Goatfucker" Moore might end up losing in the general election to someone who is not insane.

On the certainly good news front, Birmingham just passed a very broad human rights ordinance. Not clear yet whether it protects goatfuckers, but initial indications say No.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:So some certainly good news, and some possibly good news.

On the possibly good news front, Judge Roy "Goatfucker" Moore might end up losing in the general election to someone who is not insane..
Both guys running are gigantic pieces of shit. They both make George Wallace look like Bernie Sanders
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:So some certainly good news, and some possibly good news.

On the possibly good news front, Judge Roy "Goatfucker" Moore might end up losing in the general election to someone who is not insane..
Both guys running are gigantic pieces of shit. They both make George Wallace look like Bernie Sanders
You're talking about Goatfucker and Luther Strange, right? And not Doug Moore, who is not insane?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Zip City wrote:

You're talking about Goatfucker and Luther Strange, right? And not Doug Moore, who is not insane?
yes

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

See a rich man peddle hate to pay his rent
Hey, Judge Roy
The sacred son
Blue-eyed Jesus with Bible and a gun
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

cortez the killer wrote:Blue-eyed Jesus with Bible and a gun

John A Arkansawyer

From the It Could Be Worse Dept.:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:From the It Could Be Worse Dept.:

Not exactly on point, but it's Tom Lehrer and it's Alabama...

My father in law spent his entire career working for IBM back when that stood for "I've Been Moved" so naturally the family moved around quite a bit. One of their stops was Huntsville, AL where IBM supported the folks who were puttin' people on the moon. Being the sociable beings they are, my in-laws invited some of their new colleagues over to their home for a party. My father in law thought that it would be a good idea to play Tom Lehrer's record for the group. Of course, a number of attendees knew and worked for, Werner Von Braun. The song about Von Braun was greeted w/ complete and most awkward silence after which a number of babysitters mysteriously and simultaneously took ill, requiring many of the guests to leave in a hurry.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
The internet has all the answers or at least a partial answer: http://www.thedailybeast.com/senate-rep ... are-defeat

Excellent point, Clams, but politicians are not known for their loyalty and they all have their own re-elections to worry about (some sooner than others of course). I understand he gets big points for the brilliant if heinous S Ct maneuver but going on 9 months w/out a single achievement when your party controls the government?
I guess the voters of Alabama have their own views of Senator McConnell's performance and their own message they wanted to send.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Trump has deleted the numerous tweets of him supporting Luther "people are" Strange, so that means they never happened :roll:
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
I guess the voters of Alabama have their own views of Senator McConnell's performance and their own message they wanted to send.
I don't know. I don't think that voting for someone who is essentially openly homophobic and (at least) mildly racist (in addition to a LOT of other horrible things) is 'sending a message to the Washington Establishment'. Angry white Christians have compromised their moral and fiscal values and would just rather see the whole thing burn down rather than talk about fixing it. If this trend continues, we will see the Freedom Caucus in the Senate as well. I don't really understand the theory behind electing people that hate the Government to run the Government. Further, I truly can not comprehend the world that those that would vote for a man like Roy Moore want to live in. Honestly, I don't think most of those folks that would vote for him do either.

Thomas Jefferson said you get the Government you deserve. He is right...and that sucks.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
I don't know. I don't think that voting for someone who is essentially openly homophobic and (at least) mildly racist (in addition to a LOT of other horrible things) is 'sending a message to the Washington Establishment'. Angry white Christians have compromised their moral and fiscal values and would just rather see the whole thing burn down rather than talk about fixing it. If this trend continues, we will see the Freedom Caucus in the Senate as well. I don't really understand the theory behind electing people that hate the Government to run the Government. Further, I truly can not comprehend the world that those that would vote for a man like Roy Moore want to live in. Honestly, I don't think most of those folks that would vote for him do either.

Thomas Jefferson said you get the Government you deserve. He is right...and that sucks.
I dunno. I can't speak to how things went down locally in AL, but nationally the race and the choice were absolutely framed as voting for McConnell's Establishment guy or Bannon's Outsider-send-a-message guy. I'm open to being convinced otherwise but until then I think voters probably voted along exactly these lines. And anyway I'm not sure that this formulation is all that much different from this: "Angry white Christians have compromised their moral and fiscal values and would just rather see the whole thing burn down rather than talk about fixing it. If this trend continues, we will see the Freedom Caucus in the Senate as well."

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

A lot of folks were disgusted about how Strange got the appointment to the seat---that was an enormous issue in this race. Many people voted for Moore not so much because they like Goatfucker, but because they wanted to vote against Strange for his shenanigans with Bentley. In December, Moore will have his usual base, but that will only go so far. It will come down to how many people show up to vote for Moore because he has an R next to his name.

The cards are stacked against Jones, but it's the best chance the Democrats have had here in a very long time.
Let the outside air in

whatwouldcooleydo?

Wouldn't you love to see one of these presidents, when somebody spends $300,000 on private jets, to say, "get that son of a bitch out of cabinet now. Out. Out. He's fired!"

scotto

Post by scotto »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Wouldn't you love to see one of these presidents, when somebody spends $300,000 on private jets, to say, "get that son of a bitch out of cabinet now. Out. Out. He's fired!"
Hey! When are we gonna get a "like" button in this place?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I know it's from the failing fake news spouting NY Times, but this is basically what I had in mind when I posted: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/us/p ... p=cur&_r=0

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Wouldn't you love to see one of these presidents, when somebody spends $300,000 on private jets, to say, "get that son of a bitch out of cabinet now. Out. Out. He's fired!"
Like.

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Mr. J, as flawed as he was, was ingenious. He also felt that the Constitution should be discarded and redrafted every generation (in his estimation, every 17 years), the idea being that self-goverance should be the provenance of the living. I like that idea.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Flea wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Mr. J, as flawed as he was, was ingenious. He also felt that the Constitution should be discarded and redrafted every generation (in his estimation, every 17 years), the idea being that self-goverance should be the provenance of the living. I like that idea.
TJ was the original UVA Cavalier, so fuck him :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

scotto wrote:
There's a like button on the newer version of this board software.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:
scotto wrote:
There's a like button on the newer version of this board software.
Is there a “dislike” button? You know...for blaming Clams.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i really hope that someone buys Trump a ticket when Roger Waters plays DC.

his head will explode.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Why does this preposterous, easily disprovable lie depress me more than so many other preposterous, easily disprovable lies? I don't know, but reading that Trump said that his tax proposal "will not benefit me" was like taking a punch to the stomach. The air went right out of me and the hole we're in suddenly seemed so much deeper, darker and inescapable.

People are always going to argue about the economic impact or fairness or of this or that tax or this or that deduction. That discussion is not even relevant to this issue. For this purpose let's even assume that this tax plan is the best idea ever to come out of Washington. We've got one of the richest men in America (or at least he says he is) saying that he won't benefit from the elimination of the estate tax. We've got a real estate developer whose complex business structure consists almost entirely of "pass through entities" like partnerships and limited liability companies saying that he won't benefit from a change in the tax code that will allow those who use pass through entities to turn much of their income from personal (taxed at 35% under the proposal and 39% now) to business (taxed at 25%) at the stroke of a pen. We've got someone who claims to be in the highest of income tax brackets claiming that he won't benefit from a straightforward reduction in the highest income tax rate. The only way any of this could be true would be if in fact Trump is not just not as successful as he claims but downright poor.

We're talking one to one correspondence, an exact overlay, of the taxes to be cut under this plan and the taxes Trump is supposed to pay. How on earth can he say that he won't personally benefit? The scope and audacity of the lie is so yuge as to be almost incomprehensible. How is this not obvious to everyone in America? Ok, the pass through stuff is arguably complicated (though a reduction of 14 percentage points, or about a 36% reduction from the current rate, would seem to be easy enough to comprehend), but the rest of it is completely obvious and requires no analysis or even computational skills.

Why not just say, "yeah, I benefit but it's not about me, the country benefits so much more"? I guess even Trump knows that the words "it's not about me" are just about the only ones that vast swaths of the public will know can't be true. Maybe the concept is so foreign to him that he couldn't speak those words even if he wanted to.

Whatever. I just can't stand the bullshit anymore.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

So here's a WaPo column that suggest AL voters voted for Moore to send a message to Washington, especially McConnell AND because they want to see the whole thing burned down to the ground.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ons&wpmm=1

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:So here's a WaPo column that suggest AL voters voted for Moore to send a message to Washington, especially McConnell AND because they want to see the whole thing burned down to the ground.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ons&wpmm=1
I sure as hell am not going to defend Mitch McConnell, but can someone tell me how these people think they're conservatives? They are radicals pure and simple. I've always suspected that the irrational fear that Sharia Law was coming to America was more about professional jealousy than it was about the ideal of a functional Theocracy and the election of Moore proves that theory. This is a man that thinks that separation of church and state goes against God's will, believes that God comes before country and has committed actual crimes defending both positions the consequences of which were his removal from office TWICE. These types of voters do not believe in equality for all, make no attempt to broaden their understanding of other religions and instead look to the Bible for their inspiration. I firmly believe that a functioning American democracy depends on strong liberals and strong conservatives and there are strong liberals out there but if the GOP thinks the future is Roy Moore I see no conservative force with which to bargain.

edit: Just after posting I ran across this WaPo piece saying essentially the same thing, but going a little further with it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 697e897978
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I sure as hell am not going to defend Mitch McConnell, but can someone tell me how these people think they're conservatives? They are radicals pure and simple. I've always suspected that the irrational fear that Sharia Law was coming to America was more about professional jealousy than it was about the ideal of a functional Theocracy and the election of Moore proves that theory.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... -midwest-/

Moore made his comments during a campaign stop to meet with members of the pro-gun group BamaCarry Inc. There, reporter Jeff Stein of the website Vox.com asked him, "Some right-wing conservatives think Sharia law is a danger to America -- do you?"

Moore responded, "There are communities under Sharia law right now in our country. Up in Illinois. Christian communities; I don’t know if they may be Muslim communities. But Sharia law is a little different from American law. It is founded on religious concepts."

Stein pressed Moore to name the communities under Sharia law. He responded, "Well, there’s Sharia law, as I understand it, in Illinois, Indiana -- up there. I don't know."

Later in the interview, Stein tried again, asking Moore to be specific and name which communities he was referring to. Moore said, "I was informed that there were. But if they’re not, it doesn’t matter. Sharia law incorporates Muslim law into the law. That’s not what we do. We do not punish people according to the Christian precepts of our faith -- so there’s a difference."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved