The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

It's not like I really expect to gain any special insight but I have spent some time today wondering what goes on inside Justice Thomas's head. He goes out of his way, in shockingly non-judicial fashion, to call for the Court to overturn the right to contraception and the right for gays to marry yet he somehow didn't mention the right of heterosexuals (and homosexuals for that matter) to marry across racial lines. You know, like him and Ginny. The analysis and legal logic in all 3 landmark cases establishing those rights are very similar. Does he not realize the similarity? Does he think that if he doesn't mention it nobody will notice? Or does he just not care and is willing to see interracial marriages prohibited if it means that the other 2 get tossed as well?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Not many people have the text of the 9th Amendment to the Constitution in the front of their mind at any given time, so here's what it says: "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

While not written in the most crystal clear language, what that says and what it means is that just because the Constitution enumerates certain rights it doesn't mean that the people of this country don't have other rights which are not expressed in the Constitution, or put another way, the people do have rights even if they're not expressed in the Constitution. That's the actual language of the Constitution. So how is it that so called orginalists can say that there are no rights not expressly stated in the Constitution when the actual Constitution itself says otherwise?

I've never seen or heard an originalist counter to what seems to me to be a very obvious and compelling argument, but maybe I should just get over it.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:09 pm
I've never seen or heard an originalist counter to what seems to me to be a very obvious and compelling argument, but maybe I should just get over it.
I wouldn't go that far. I would say that trying to solve a political problem by judicial means has its limits, as we are being cruelly taught right now.

There is a majority to be won by a high-profile midterm leader who will make the promise "Give me two new senators who will break the filibuster and I will give you legalized abortion nationwide".

Normally that's the president. I hope this one is willing and able. Without his or someone else's very visible leadership, we are directionlessly fucked.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

To add more fuel to the dystopia, there have been a handful of new Q posts, likely posted by Ron Watkins (who was likely behind a great deal of the posts before it went away). These next four months are going to be wild and this may just add to it.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

John A Arkansawyer

Lou Reed wrote:The best lack all convictions
And the worst are filled with a passionate intensity
Now you figure out where I am
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The irony here is that SCOTUS has new legal authority to uphold its opinions. The only reason this reversal means anything is because abortion rights were never codified by Congress. If SCOTUS came out tomorrow and said "in our opinion, murder should be legal", that wouldn't undo all of the murder laws on the books.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I've enjoyed this podcast that examines the January 6th insurrection, including the lead-up and fallout.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Can someone please explain to me why some Christians find it necessary, desirable and/or appropriate to pray in locker rooms and on football fields?

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:50 pm
Can someone please explain to me why some Christians find it necessary, desirable and/or appropriate to pray in locker rooms and on football fields?
I can't. However, if that is what THEY personally choose to do, have at it. I take issue when THEY want to require YOU to participate. Fuck that!
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Because there's no such thing as bad publicity?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Because the bible specifically tells them not to, and they don't know what the fuck the bible says

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:58 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Because the bible specifically tells them not to, and they don't know what the fuck the bible says
Wouldn't it be counter to Christian teachings and the Golden Rule in general to pray and/or expect God to favor your team over another team? I've personally always been confused by people who thank God after a victory. To me, it just doesn't make much sense.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:50 pm
Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Wouldn't it be counter to Christian teachings and the Golden Rule in general to pray and/or expect God to favor your team over another team? I've personally always been confused by people who thank God after a victory. To me, it just doesn't make much sense.
It's all performative, which Jesus explicitly said was a no-no.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:30 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:50 pm
Zip City wrote:

It's all performative, which Jesus explicitly said was a no-no.
The modern day Evangelicals and Republicans would call Jesus a communist and a woke social justice warrior if he were to magically return with a new name. Fucking hypocrites.
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

A possible speck of good news, if you can bear it:

The January 6 hearings are accomplishing more than you think
You may not see it, if you don’t understand how conservatives change their minds.

MAGAworld refusing to engage is a good sign. This is exactly what you should have expected to see if things were going well.
It's worth reading.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I've been in a serious Tom T. Hall rabbit hole lately. I found an old interview with him where he talks about politics and religion. He kinda tied his liberalism to things he saw in most churches growing up. I do believe he was a christian but he said the things that got Christians fired up most had no basis in the Bible that he read.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Flea wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:40 pm

The modern day Evangelicals and Republicans would call Jesus a communist and a woke social justice warrior if he were to magically return with a new name. Fucking hypocrites.
Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food
He believed in love and peace
And never wore no shoes
Long hair, beard and sandals
And a funky bunch of friends
Reckon they'd just nail Him up
If He come down again

----Kristofferson
Let the outside air in

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

schlanky wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:37 am
Flea wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:40 pm

Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food
He believed in love and peace
And never wore no shoes
Long hair, beard and sandals
And a funky bunch of friends
Reckon they'd just nail Him up
If He come down again

----Kristofferson
]Now Jesus was a social drinker
He never drank alone
He never partied at a strip club
Keeping his woman up at home
Or overstayed his welcome
Or threw up in your sink
Nah, Jesus was never late to work, man
And he always pulled his weight

---Prophet

Clams

Post by Clams »

I feel the same way about Skynyrd these days as I do about Jesus. I admire most of the work, but the fans suck.
Cooley
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Just saw Flynn's testimony. Because I've always thought so little of Trump and regard Giuliani, Powell and the rest of the circus as clowns, to me this is the most astonishing, disgusting, disheartening testimony I've heard w/ respect to 1/6 specifically and the Trump administration in general. A retired 3 star general just invoked the 5th amendment protection against self incrimination when asked if he believed in the peaceful transfer of power in America. That is beyond astonishing. That feeling in my stomach just went from nausea to actual pain. Is it possible to strip Flynn of his rank? I really, really, really wish that someone on the Committee had stopped the proceedings at that point in order to tell Flynn what a disgrace he is. How could there be even a fig leaf remaining as to the legitimacy of the entire Trump administration and any attempt to call 1/6 something other than an attempted coup? I am stunned. Horrified.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I know that our vets have thrown up their hands about participating here, but if by any chance you're out there lurking I would greatly appreciate hearing your reactions to Gen. Flynn's testimony.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Flynn has been fired by two presidents and is likely a Russian asset.

He deserves to die in jail

cortez the killer

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:55 pm
Just saw Flynn's testimony. Because I've always thought so little of Trump and regard Giuliani, Powell and the rest of the circus as clowns, to me this is the most astonishing, disgusting, disheartening testimony I've heard w/ respect to 1/6 specifically and the Trump administration in general. A retired 3 star general just invoked the 5th amendment protection against self incrimination when asked if he believed in the peaceful transfer of power in America. That is beyond astonishing. That feeling in my stomach just went from nausea to actual pain. Is it possible to strip Flynn of his rank? I really, really, really wish that someone on the Committee had stopped the proceedings at that point in order to tell Flynn what a disgrace he is. How could there be even a fig leaf remaining as to the legitimacy of the entire Trump administration and any attempt to call 1/6 something other than an attempted coup? I am stunned. Horrified.
- DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

I will say there's been a lot of wild shit in the past 20+ years but yesterday ranks pretty high up the list.

cortez the killer

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:49 am
I will say there's been a lot of wild shit in the past 20+ years but yesterday ranks pretty high up the list.
No!

Benghazi
Hillary's emails
Hunter Biden's laptop
- DPM

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:07 am
brettac1 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:49 am
No!

Benghazi
Hillary's emails
Hunter Biden's laptop
I know you're speaking in jest but two years of Hunter Biden hearings are going to be quite a slog and are not something I'm super excited for.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:34 pm
Thousands of years? A little hyperbolic if you ask me. At the current rate of climate change, we have hundreds of years left. However, we can always buy more time with thoughts and prayers if needed.

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:29 pm
Zip City wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:34 pm
Thousands of years? A little hyperbolic if you ask me. At the current rate of climate change, we have hundreds of years left. However, we can always buy more time with thoughts and prayers if needed.

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/
With the state of Lake Mead at the moment, there could be massive problems coming home to roost even sooner in southern CA.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This is insane. Take the worst elements of the TX vigilante statute and add to it some of the worst parts of the, believe it or not, Fugitive Slave Act. and you have the latest from the anti-abortion mob. In their zeal they are making a mockery of the Constitution, federalism and the basic structure of our government. This is pre-Civil War stuff in the very worst and most foreboding sense of that term. And this is of course coming from self-proclaimed "originalists" and states' rightists. Whatever happened to "overturning Roe won't be so bad, abortion will still be available in plenty of states"? BTW, the headline, scary as it is, is misleading. They don't "just" want to prevent citizens of this country going to other states, they want to sue and intimidate people in those other states.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 00007F7AB9