The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:58 am
chuckrh wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:37 am
From beyond the grave? :lol:
it was Herman Cain who died...
Yeah, Chuck, it was that other black guy. I guess you think they all look alike.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:20 pm

Yeah, Chuck, it was that other black guy. I guess you think they all look alike.
I don't find that comment appropriate or funny.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:24 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:20 pm

I don't find that comment appropriate or funny.
Noted. But I don’t care. I wasn’t the one who couldn’t tell the difference between Ben Carson and Herman Cain. Your outrage is misdirected. It wasn’t meant to be funny.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:58 am
chuckrh wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:37 am
From beyond the grave? :lol:
it was Herman Cain who died...
Apologies, I was up all night sick from some brutal COVID vaccine side effects. Not at my best. Wasn't intentional.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 am
CY. I think where I'm getting to is that you and I share a lot of the same suspicions and gut reactions to people and events yet the sum total of those thoughts/reactions combined with the things we differ about leads us to very different, not so much conclusions, as world view or outlook. Having written that, I think that sort of dynamic is a lot more common than we (or at least I) think it is. I suppose on a macro level the question becomes will we as a country be defined by those differences or those similarities. History says the differences will win, as divide and conquer has yet to be proven wrong as a strategy for elites to gain and maintain control. But that outcome is not inevitable.
Cole Younger wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:54 am
How do I know? Because increasingly “racist” and “racism” is left behind in favor of “white supremacist”.
In the scheme of things, I.m not sure how important this is to your overall argument, but I don't understand it. I don't get how the [arguable] increase in the use of the term "white supremacist" proves or even indicates that the terms "racist" and "racism" have lost their meaning from overuse and inappropriate use. Because I'm not following your argument here I don't know if this is relevant, but FWIW: I think all white supremacists are racist.
Cole Younger wrote:
There are those who act like Stacy Abrams, a failed candidate for governor of Georgia, is actually the governor or something more because to tell her she lost and nobody has to pay her any mind is...racist. Except it isn’t. If Brian Kemp had lost and then ran around acting like he won people would be making fun of him and rightfully so. I’m no lover of Brian Kemp. I can’t stand the guy. About the best thing I can say for him is he isn’t Stacy Abrams. But the way racism was woven into this is bullshit and transparently so.
I am struck by the overlap if one substitutes "Donald Trump" for "Stacey Abrams" in this paragraph. Obviously "telling Donald Trump he lost" is not literally racist, but substitute something like "elitist", "a left wing media conspiracy" or the like and the match is kinda eerie. To slightly different but related effect, substituting "Donald Trump" for "Brian Kemp" in the sentence "If Brian Kemp had lost and then ran around acting like he won..." sounds as absurd as you try to make it, yet that's exactly what happened.
Cole Younger wrote:
Wanting people to have to prove they are a resident of the state they want to vote in is not racism. It just isn’t.
This is probably the most relevant part of your post as it relates to my first paragraph. Taken literally and by itself, your statement is true; even inarguable. But imho it's not an accurate statement of the reality. It assumes that fraud in voting by use of false identities is an actual problem, which it's not, and it accepts as solutions methods that have nothing to do with proving identity, from the number of permitted drop boxes to prohibiting giving waiting voters water. It also ignores the reality of how and why the current voting proposals came to be, who proposed them, who supports them, who benefits from them, who is hurt by them and why. So I have no problem agreeing with you that "wanting people to have to prove they are residents of the state they want to vote in is not racism" while also stating flat out that the voting laws passed in GA and proposed in 40 something other states are racist. Perhaps more encouragingly, one could simply view these laws/proposals as desperate last gasp manipulations of the system to attempt to maintain power by a fading minority ruling class without bringing race into it. That to me is also clearly true and would, I think, be pretty close to your world view. But saying that the GA law, for example, is a neutral expressions of benign, inarguable and fair principles applicable to all citizens of the state of GA is imho just not true.
Can I ask you why you think that these aren’t fair principles applicable to all citizens?

I read the Georgia voting laws and compared it to Colorado (where they moved the all star game, I’m hoping such a move vaults civil rights forward but somehow I doubt it).

And I sure don’t understand how it’s racist at all.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I’ve had to show an ID every time I’ve voted in Georgia. Suddenly it’s racist. Even though white people have to do it too. And the mountain that is being made of this molehill about not being able to offer someone a drink of water. I not only can’t for the life of me see how that is racist I don’t know why we care about offering people a drink of water while they’re in line to vote. Who makes an issue of things like that? I’ve never once when waiting in line to vote thought, “If only someone would offer me water. I do t know if I’m going to make it.”

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

The other thing is that you can still vote absentee you just have to request an absentee ballot individually. But you’re telling me that black people have a more difficult time than other races of people with tasks such as providing an ID, providing themselves with water to stand in a line, or requesting an absentee ballot to avoid the line altogether?
How is that helpful? What am I missing?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

boyyourself wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:25 am
The other thing is that you can still vote absentee you just have to request an absentee ballot individually. But you’re telling me that black people have a more difficult time than other races of people with tasks such as providing an ID, providing themselves with water to stand in a line, or requesting an absentee ballot to avoid the line altogether?
empathy

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:04 am
boyyourself wrote:
empathy

And why is that?

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

pearlbeer wrote:
boyyourself wrote:
empathy
Helluva and inference. False at that.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Requiring ID is not in and of itself racist. Eliminating drop box locations, under staffing polling places, and limiting access to GETTING IDs is predominantly non-white areas is the problem.

Giving food or water and an election site would be a non-issue if the wait wasn’t 6 hours.

I have no issue with mailing EVERY registered voter a mail-in ballot. A democracy should want people to vote, not just the people with the foresight to request a ballot. In fact, I think absentee ballots and voter registration applications should be mailed to non-registered voters as well.

If the accusations of racism do t pass the smell test for you, I hope that you can at the very least see that many red states are actively attempting to make it harder to vote for everyone.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Edit: Please note that I did not see the 5 most recent posts before I posted this.
Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:37 am
I’ve had to show an ID every time I’ve voted in Georgia. Suddenly it’s racist. Even though white people have to do it too. And the mountain that is being made of this molehill about not being able to offer someone a drink of water. I not only can’t for the life of me see how that is racist I don’t know why we care about offering people a drink of water while they’re in line to vote. Who makes an issue of things like that? I’ve never once when waiting in line to vote thought, “If only someone would offer me water. I do t know if I’m going to make it.”
You just want government to leave you alone, right? I believe you when you say that it has never occurred to you to want a bottle of water while waiting on line to vote. It has never occurred to me either (of course the weather in MA in November tends to have one thinking in terms of hot chocolate, not water, but I digress). Has anybody ever offered you a bottle of water while you waiting on line to vote? No, me neither. Would you say that most people you know have had the same experience and the same reaction? My guess is that the answer is "yes" as it is for most of the people I know. So why does the government feel the need to pass a law on the subject? Is this a solution in search of a problem or is it an attempt to fix a problem? If the former, why aren't you against it on general principle? Isn't it a perfect example of government meddling, micro managing, waste, inefficiency and flat out stupidity? If the latter what exactly is the problem the government is addressing?

While I've never been thirsty while waiting to vote, I've also never waited more than 20 minutes to vote, and even that was only once. What about you? Have you ever had to wait 2 or 3 hours or more to vote? I'm gonna guess that the answer is no because the only pictures I've ever seen of people waiting that long to vote are of mostly Black people. Maybe it's coincidence. Or might it have something to do with the per capita number of polling places in Black neighborhoods v. White? Or the per capita staffing at those polling places? And if it does have something to do with that, what non-racist reason would you suggest for why that is? Sometimes water is not just about the water.
boyyourself wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:32 am
Can I ask you why you think that these aren’t fair principles applicable to all citizens?
A fair question. First let me say that not every single provision of the new GA law is objectionable, but if the choice is to keep the whole law or jettison the whole law, I come down on the side of getting rid of it.

Some of the answer is, I hope, clear from my response to CY, which is to say, laws affect people in different ways depending on their circumstances and it is a well established principle that a law can be neutral on its face (i.e. it doesn't actually SAY it's directed at Black people or poor people or left handed people or whatever) but still be totally discriminatory. Historically, think of poll taxes or literacy requirements, long standing features of the jim crow era dismantled in the civil rights era generally understood to have been totally discriminatory for the purpose of preventing Black people from voting. Sure, they applied to everyone (sort of - virtually uncontrolled discretion was given to virtually uncontrollable petty local officials to administer those laws and make decision about eligibility under them). But the cost of the tax is meaningless to some and a heavy burden for others. "It just so happens" that the people who were burdened by it were overwhelmingly Black. And literacy seems like a reasonable requirement doesn't it? But what if the government provides schools or requires schooling only for white people? Think about the current US citizenship test for non-natives applying for citizenship. It's damn hard. I'd bet money that most native born Americans, of whatever race and class, could not pass it. What if that test was used for the purpose of proving "literacy" for voting purposes? And what if those in charge of the polling places had great discretion in determining literacy and only made black people prove their literacy by taking the test? That's basically the way it was and a number of provisions of the new law work exactly this way (see the next paragraph for some specifics).

Another way to look at it is to turn the question around: If the easy availability of absentee voting or remote drop boxes or voting on days other than a mid week work day are proven to increase voter turnout, which they have, and increased voter turnout is a good thing, which it is (one can believe otherwise but if so none of this is relevant) and no fraud is associated with those accommodations, why limit or prohibit them? The answer I see/hear most often is "but those methodologies are especially susceptible to fraud." Except that is flat out not true. It did not happen in 2020 and it does not happen regularly or significantly in any jurisdiction which allows those voting accommodations. So the question remains, why limit or prohibit those methodologies? I suggest that it is no coincidence that those methodologies have a particularly large impact on the turnout of Black, other minority, and poor voters.

There's also a lot of complication and nuance here. For example, the new GA law mandates remote drop boxes for the first time. This seems like a good thing, a positive change. Except that remote drop boxes were actually allowed in 2020 as an emergency covid response and the new law works to reduce substantially the number of drop boxes that will be available in...wait for it...large urban counties. I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that's not a coincidence. Or take the most difficult (for me, anyway) issue of voter ID. If the required voter ID were limited to driver's licenses (as I believe they sometimes have been in various states), I have no problem understanding how that is discriminatory against (i.e. has a disparate negative impact on) Black voters. However the GA law does provide for alternative proof of ID. I am not sure of all the alternatives and I am not sure how each and every one impacts particular constituencies, Black or otherwise. I suspect this provision may not be as objectionable as some have said, but I don't really know. I do know that people and groups I respect have said that the requirement, even with alternatives, is unfair to and discriminatory against Black voters. Given other clearly objectionable provisions, the overall context in which the law was passed and the relevant history I tend to lean towards believing those third party groups more than I believe the GA government. Put another, more legalistic, way, given all the relevant factors, I believe that the burden of proving non-racist, non-discriminatory intent and effect is on the GA government. But bottom line, I am not convinced either way on this and have reached the limit of how much time I'm willing to put in to it.

All of the GA changes have to be viewed in context. And that context is the long history of voter suppression in GA, the 2020 election and the fallout from that election, specifically in Georgia. If anyone wants to suggest that these changes were not the response of a Republican legislature and governor apoplectic about the loss of 2 Senate seats to the Democrats, that person is possibly naive but in any case will lack any credibility. If that person also wants to suggest that the legislature and governor did not intend this legislation to limit voting by Democrats and that the legislature and governor do not identify Blacks as an overwhelmingly Democratic demographic, I have a lovely bridge I'm ready to sell to the right buyer at a very good price. Most of all, to me anyway, are the provisions of the legislation which remove authority/responsibility/power from the Secretary of State and gives it to the legislature. There is simply no believable explanation for this that does not lead straight to the legislature's/governor's reaction to the 2020 election and the actions (or more precisely the refusal to act improperly) of the Republican Secretary of State of Georgia. These changes are counter to every principle of good (i.e. unbiased, fair) government of which I am aware. I would also argue that these changes to the management and supervision of elections are actually an invitation to fraud and manipulation by one party, not protections against them, and are so clearly motivated by personal animus, revenge and a desire to "never let that happen again" that I don't even think there's a counter argument. In that context, it's very hard not to see the entire bill as suspect and very revealing of the true purpose and true impact of a number of the provisions like the ones I mention above.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Well Georgia is not Atlanta and Atlanta is not Georgia. That’s something probably nobody here has ever heard but it’s been said for years here in this state. So I can’t speak to how things are in Atlanta. But for most of the rest of the state there are only a few places to go vote in each town and white and black people are at both. That surely how it is here where I live. And most of the poll workers are black for whatever that’s worth. This seems like something that has been turned into an issue for the sake of having an issue. Because, no more Orange Man so we have to get people pissed off at something.

Good point on a solution looking for a problem and I agree. That was part of what I was saying when I said, “Who makes an issue of things like this?”

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:29 am
Requiring ID is not in and of itself racist. Eliminating drop box locations, under staffing polling places, and limiting access to GETTING IDs is predominantly non-white areas is the problem.

Giving food or water and an election site would be a non-issue if the wait wasn’t 6 hours.

I have no issue with mailing EVERY registered voter a mail-in ballot. A democracy should want people to vote, not just the people with the foresight to request a ballot. In fact, I think absentee ballots and voter registration applications should be mailed to non-registered voters as well.

If the accusations of racism do t pass the smell test for you, I hope that you can at the very least see that many red states are actively attempting to make it harder to vote for everyone.
I can’t get my mind around the fact that we heard for four years that our election had been high jacked by Russians because Orange Man and Putin are home boys but the second Joe Biden won our elections are totally secure and can’t be tampered with and drop boxes etc are fine because our election process is so honest.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Bubba every time I want to get to answering one of your other posts you fire off another one that’s roughly the length of War and Peace.😆

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
This. A thousand times this. Treating black people like they are stupid children who have to be saved by white people gets a whole lot closer to racism than a lot of the stuff that gets called racism around here. And calling it empathy makes my stomach churn.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:34 pm
Bubba every time I want to get to answering one of your other posts you fire off another one that’s roughly the length of War and Peace.😆
Yeah, believe it or not, I actually do try to edit them down. Sometimes more successfully than others. But in the time honored tradition of blaming the victim, if you didn't ask hard questions, I wouldn't need to write long answers. :)

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:06 am
pearlbeer wrote:
boyyourself wrote:
empathy
Helluva and inference. False at that.
It damn sure is.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:38 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:34 pm
Yeah, believe it or not, I actually do try to edit them down. Sometimes more successfully than others. But in the time honored tradition of blaming the victim, if you didn't ask hard questions, I wouldn't need to write long answers. :)
Yeah. I asked for it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:33 pm
Zip City wrote:

I can’t get my mind around the fact that we heard for four years that our election had been high jacked by Russians because Orange Man and Putin are home boys but the second Joe Biden won our elections are totally secure and can’t be tampered with and drop boxes etc are fine because our election process is so honest.
I can't get my mind around the fact that you wrote this, Cole. In the 4 years between 2016 and 2020 approximately a gazillion dollars was spent at the state and federal level to increase election security, bringing it from, effectively, the 19th century to something approaching the 21st. All kinds of new methods and protections were adopted. In case you missed it, evidence was released just last week that proved that the Trump campaign worked directly with the Russian government to impact the 2016 election. There are no such allegations about the 2020 election against either party. I've got 214 proofs on my side that the election was honest (see below). How about you get up to even 107 proofs of dishonesty before you make claims to that effect?

50 state elections commissions, both parties, a majority Republican
100 party election oversight committees in 50 states, half Republican, half Democrat
63 courts in numerous state and federal jurisdictions, not one of which found any evidence of fraud, not even the minimal amount necessary to allow the lawsuits brought by Trump et al to go to trial
1 head of the federal agency in charge of insuring election integrity/safety, appointed by a Republican

Whatcha got?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Oh, I forgot Sydney Powell's lawyer. You may recall that Powell was Trump's lawyer in a number of the lawsuits challenging the election on fraud grounds. Powell's lawyer, acting on her behalf now that she's a defendant, said that "no serious person" could be believe the allegations of fraud made by Powell and others. 215. I'll ignore the extra half ffrom the odd number and still only ask for 107.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:37 pm
boyyourself wrote:
This. A thousand times this. Treating black people like they are stupid children who have to be saved by white people gets a whole lot closer to racism than a lot of the stuff that gets called racism around here. And calling it empathy makes my stomach churn.
Good call. I'll stay tuned for your "All Lives Matter" post.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:30 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
boyyourself wrote:
No you’re totally on point. Black people need you to defend them.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:54 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I can't get my mind around the fact that you wrote this, Cole. In the 4 years between 2016 and 2020 approximately a gazillion dollars was spent at the state and federal level to increase election security, bringing it from, effectively, the 19th century to something approaching the 21st. All kinds of new methods and protections were adopted. In case you missed it, evidence was released just last week that proved that the Trump campaign worked directly with the Russian government to impact the 2016 election. There are no such allegations about the 2020 election against either party. I've got 214 proofs on my side that the election was honest (see below). How about you get up to even 107 proofs of dishonesty before you make claims to that effect?

50 state elections commissions, both parties, a majority Republican
100 party election oversight committees in 50 states, half Republican, half Democrat
63 courts in numerous state and federal jurisdictions, not one of which found any evidence of fraud, not even the minimal amount necessary to allow the lawsuits brought by Trump et al to go to trial
1 head of the federal agency in charge of insuring election integrity/safety, appointed by a Republican

Whatcha got?
Do you think the average person who screamed about collusion for four years and now acts like our elections are iron clad knows what you posted? I don’t.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:00 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Oh, I forgot Sydney Powell's lawyer. You may recall that Powell was Trump's lawyer in a number of the lawsuits challenging the election on fraud grounds. Powell's lawyer, acting on her behalf now that she's a defendant, said that "no serious person" could be believe the allegations of fraud made by Powell and others. 215. I'll ignore the extra half ffrom the odd number and still only ask for 107.
Now do Biden and his Ukraine scandal. Is that just not true?

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

pearlbeer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
boyyourself wrote:

Another lazy assumption and I don’t know ehh you keep making them. Maybe you think they are thoughtful or helpful. I don’t.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:12 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Another lazy assumption and I don’t know ehh you keep making them. Maybe you think they are thoughtful or helpful. I don’t.
You have to prove you aren’t racist. Nobody has to prove that you are. Just not voting democrat and not blabbering bumper sticker stuff about how unbiggoted you are makes you suspect.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:11 pm
Do you think the average person who screamed about collusion for four years and now acts like our elections are iron clad knows what you posted? I don’t.
I'd say the answer is somewhere between "probably not" and "no fucking way." If your point is simply that too many people who know too little speak way too much and way too loudly, ok, you know I agree w/ that. Otherwise, I'm not sure how this relates to what came before.
Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:19 pm
I don't understand any part of these 2 sentences. What does "do" mean in the first sentence? Which Biden are you talking about? What is "his Ukraine scandal? Not knowing what the first sentence refers to or what you'd like me to "do" means that I have no idea what's true and what's not or how it relates to the security of US elections.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:41 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:11 pm
I'd say the answer is somewhere between "probably not" and "no fucking way." If your point is simply that too many people who know too little speak way too much and way too loudly, ok, you know I agree w/ that. Otherwise, I'm not sure how this relates to what came before.
Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:19 pm
I don't understand any part of these 2 sentences. What does "do" mean in the first sentence? Which Biden are you talking about? What is "his Ukraine scandal? Not knowing what the first sentence refers to or what you'd like me to "do" means that I have no idea what's true and what's not or how it relates to the security of US elections.
On the first point you nailed exactly what I meant.

On the second point I feel like Barney Fife, “Now don’t get obtuse, Andy.”

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Well the Chauvin verdict is in. Guilty on all counts. I bet there are still riots.