The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Donnie in the Room
(with apologies to Ernest Lawrence Thayer)

The outlook wasn’t brilliant for Republicans that day.
They’d promised for six years that they’d repeal the ACA.
But when the caucus gathered, and they looked from man to man
They knew that not a one of them had ever had a plan.

“I’d counted on a veto,” said a rep from Tennessee.
“The blame Obama always took would fall on Hillary.
Then Pennsylvania went for Trump, and Michigan the same.
And now we run the government, we can’t just play a game.”

A colleague from Wyoming was equally concerned.
Shaking his head sadly, he stated what he’d learned.
“My hopes from the beginning always had one little flaw.
I’d pictured making speeches, never thought I’d write a law.”

Neither had the others, though they often said they would.
They knew what programs shouldn’t do, but not the things they should.
Then said a man from Texas, “We’ll never have success.
We got so used to saying No, we’ll never get to Yes.”

“I know,” said Ryan hopefully, “that’s sometimes how it feels.
But Donnie wrote the book about the art of making deals.
I know agreement’s hard to find, and deadlines closely loom.
But we can still succeed if we get Donnie in the room.”

Oh Donnie! Clever Donnie! How everyone agreed.
The plan that he campaigned on was just the one they’d need.
It ended it all the mandates! It set the markets free!
And still it covered everyone, from sea to shining sea!

“It offers better treatment,” noted one committee chair.
“And cheaper,” said another, “I know cause I was there.
You should have heard the cheering. I thought the roof would fall.
And Mexico will pay for it! No, wait, that was the wall.”

But just how would he do it? That wasn’t in their notes.
It wasn’t in the speeches that he made while seeking votes.
It wasn’t on his website, and they recognized with gloom.
They’d never reproduce it without Donnie in the room.

So Ryan checked the White House, but Donnie was away.
He wasn’t in Trump Tower, and he hadn’t been all day.
Ivanka took his message, “Call me when you can.
We can’t repeal ObamaCare without your TrumpCare plan.”

When the President returned his call, he sounded tired and mean,
As he contemplated bogey from the bunker on fifteen.
“Write whatever bill you want. I really couldn’t tell.
Content doesn’t matter, Paul. It’s all in how you sell.”

“But what about the plan you had, the one in the campaign?”
“I only planned to have a plan, that’s no cause to complain.
Grasp this opportunity, and you’ll know what to do.
I sold all the voters, now you get to come through!”

So Ryan then picked up his pen, and wrote a plan so good
It didn’t do a single thing that Donnie said it would.
And as the caucus read it, they all wanted to vote No,
Both from the left, and from the right, and from the CBO.

The Speaker counted noses, and he always came up short.
And for the ones who criticized, he had no good retort.
But Ryan still was smiling as he sorted hateful mail.
For Donnie, clever Donnie, would soon complete the sale.

Trump was back in Washington with all his awesome charm.
He flattered and he compromised and twisted by the arm.
“Those whip counts are fake news,” he said, “we’ve got the votes and more.
Everyone will back me when we take it to the floor.”

Oh, somewhere in a favored land, the people get their way,
And illness leads to treatment, even if you cannot pay.
And somewhere leaders pass the law that makes their promise real.
But there’s mourning in the caucus, Donnie could not close the deal.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

^^^^^ Impressive ^^^^

Is that an original?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lotusamerica wrote:But even more to my concern is that I perceive something changing in the heart of America, this willingness to hold Orwellian self-contradictory beliefs, and to deny facts and scientific consensus. People would rather argue than learn. People are more tribal than i've ever seen. The Fox News strategy of turning everything into one side vs the other has not only worked among its audience base, but has gone into much darker territory further right, and has hobbled mainstream media in reporting (which already has a mixed allegiance to the truth thanks to deregulation), and the left is no longer immune (if it ever was, but it's certainly much worse now than in the past) to the game either. The truth is not easily come by, and you have to work for it, sifting through a lot of contradictory opinions and analyzing everything you read to separate fact from opinion from propaganda. And you have to really want to find it in order to ever actually see it, and a lot of people I think have given up bothering and instead just parrot whatever their tribe is saying in the moment, even if they said something different last week. It's frankly frightening as hell to me, more than Trump himself or what he could do, more than the anti-science/pro-social conservatism wing of the R party. We are losing touch with reality, and nobody seems to really care.
Agree, other than the part about media deregulation, which I don't understand. Even under the best case scenario, i.e a short and inconsequential Trump presidency, the damage he and the chaos that surrounds him have already done to what used to be called "the body politic" is significant and may well be irreversible, in which case it will be catastrophic. I keep wondering what 10, 12, 15 even 21 year old kids make of the world they see. I fear they think this is normal.
pearlbeer wrote:^^^^^ Impressive ^^^^
x2
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't know whether Trump, Bannon, the Republican Party or other is responsible, but they're doing at least one really smart thing: Keeping up the pressure, keeping up the cascade of initiatives, executive orders, bizarre personnel decisions and non-decisions, etc. Because the Democrats don't have a coherent world view or strategy, they're responding episodically, always playing catch up and have difficulty articulating cogent objections, especially in sound bite form. It's ugly.

Not that anybody's asked, but I think it's a mistake to oppose Gorsuch. Unfortunately, the base probably requires it, but the base is unfortunately wrong, imho. It's a losing proposition in all ways including the inevitable result. It's enormously frustrating to see the Republicans benefit from their outrageous actions last year, I get that. But petty revenge and a tantrum looks and smells like petty revenge and a tantrum, especially when it's unsuccessful. No, it's not fair, but that's not the standard you're playing by, folks.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote: No, it's not fair, but that's not the standard you're playing by, folks.
Truth
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:I don't know whether Trump, Bannon, the Republican Party or other is responsible, but they're doing at least one really smart thing: Keeping up the pressure, keeping up the cascade of initiatives, executive orders, bizarre personnel decisions and non-decisions, etc. Because the Democrats don't have a coherent world view or strategy, they're responding episodically, always playing catch up and have difficulty articulating cogent objections, especially in sound bite form. It's ugly.

Not that anybody's asked, but I think it's a mistake to oppose Gorsuch. Unfortunately, the base probably requires it, but the base is unfortunately wrong, imho. It's a losing proposition in all ways including the inevitable result. It's enormously frustrating to see the Republicans benefit from their outrageous actions last year, I get that. But petty revenge and a tantrum looks and smells like petty revenge and a tantrum, especially when it's unsuccessful. No, it's not fair, but that's not the standard you're playing by, folks.

And regarding Gorsuch: if the Dems filibuster, Mock Turtle McConnell goes nukular, the nominee passes easily, and the next buffoon appointed will be crazier AND have an easier time getting through the Senate. Not the battlefield on which to die today.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I don't know whether Trump, Bannon, the Republican Party or other is responsible, but they're doing at least one really smart thing: Keeping up the pressure, keeping up the cascade of initiatives, executive orders, bizarre personnel decisions and non-decisions, etc. Because the Democrats don't have a coherent world view or strategy, they're responding episodically, always playing catch up and have difficulty articulating cogent objections, especially in sound bite form. It's ugly.

And regarding Gorsuch: if the Dems filibuster, Mock Turtle McConnell goes nukular, the nominee passes easily, and the next buffoon appointed will be crazier AND have an easier time getting through the Senate. Not the battlefield on which to die today.
at this point I'm OK with the premise of the show Designated Survivor ;)
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

pearlbeer wrote:^^^^^ Impressive ^^^^

Is that an original?
Yes, but not by me. ;-) By Doug Muder.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

4sooner wrote:Fwiw look up the name of Okla State Senator Ralph Shortey. He was Trumps Okla campaign chairman. I don't know how to post links on my phone so just look it up.
Hypocritical self righteous pos tea party dude. Okla government is full of fucks like this. And we are bound by state law to pay his pension.
Awww Shortey!

http://theslot.jezebel.com/state-senato ... 1793793798

Oklahoma state senator Ralph Shortey, a “family values” Republican with a history of supporting absurd anti-abortion and anti-LGBT measures, is facing three felony charges related to child prostitution after allegedly soliciting sex from a 17-year-old boy. He has since resigned, and plead not guilty on Friday.

Shortey, who is married with three children, is charged with engaging in child prostitution, engaging in prostitution within 1,000 feet of a church, and transporting a minor for prostitution.

According to the report, police found Shortey, who claimed that no one else was in the room; after entering, police allegedly found a 17-year-old boy, who Shortey had reportedly been texting on the app Kik. From KFOR:

The affidavit claims the pair were texting back and forth using the Kick app regarding money.The teen reportedly asked the man if he needed help with anything so he could earn money for spring break. “I don’t really have any legitimate things I need help with right now. Would you be interested in ‘sexual’ stuff?
” the report alleges the man replied.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The greatest separators from fools and their money party harder than they like to admit.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Some juicy stuff in the NYT article just published about Devin Nunes' sources.

I'm hoping this is the camel-breaking straw for Nunes. It is beyond time for an independent investigation. There seems to be a hell of a lot of smoke here, and Michael Flynn is holding a can of gasoline.

Here is my take (so far):

Did Russia interfere with our election? Yes, accepted fact.
Did Russia have a bias to favor Trump? Yes, accepted fact.
Did members of the Trump campaign collude with Russia? Magic 8-Ball says "All signs point to yes"
Was the collision quid-pro-quo? Don't know yet....but, it's Russia...one has to assume...
Was Trump reasonably knowledgeable and involved? Don't know. But, I'd guess the White House is warming up a big bus in the barn and looking for Mike Flynn's address.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/30/us/p ... v=top-news

whatwouldcooleydo?

for Devin Nunes

whatwouldcooleydo?

this is beyond fucked up

Conn. Bill Would Allow Weaponized Drones For Police. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

A member of the police union, the Connecticut Police Chiefs Association, says the drones would not be used to harm citizens, but protect them.

No one is looking for law enforcement to arm drones for offensive purposes,” said Farmington Police Chief Paul Melanson. “The police didn’t want to preclude any possibility in the future of using the drones to protect citizens.”

and since we're on the subject.....

This Dystopian Riot Control Truck Is the Vehicle of the Future

whatwouldcooleydo?

The Middle East? China? Opiod abuse? Iraq? Innovation "SWAT" team?

Is there anything Jared Kushner can't do?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
Effectively govern.

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:
Effectively govern.
I would also have accepted, "keep his father out of prison"

Nepotism: it starts at home

whatwouldcooleydo?

I won't be one bit surprised when Tillerson has some "health issue" and steps down, leading to Secretary of State Kushner

whatwouldcooleydo?

when I see people like Trump and Kushner, and hell, even Dubya, I realize I chose the wrong parents ;)

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

For only $2.5mm you could have been admitted to Harvard as well! And for the low,low price of $3mm, you could have been admitted to graduate school at NYU! The only thing you'll need to sell is your fucking soul!

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:For only $2.5mm you could have been admitted to Harvard as well! And for the low,low price of $3mm, you could have been admitted to graduate school at NYU! The only thing you'll need to sell is your fucking soul!
hell, for $5.5 million I'd sell the souls of the entire 3DD community :lol: :lol: :lol:

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

pearlbeer wrote:For only $2.5mm you could have been admitted to Harvard as well! And for the low,low price of $3mm, you could have been admitted to graduate school at NYU! The only thing you'll need to sell is your fucking soul!
hell, for $5.5 million I'd sell the souls of the entire 3DD community :lol: :lol: :lol:
don't overestimate its net worth.

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography wrote:
trust me, I don't ;)

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

tinnitus photography wrote:

Fucking Clams embezzled most of it. Blame him.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:The Middle East? China? Opiod abuse? Iraq? Innovation "SWAT" team?

Trump's Secretary of Everything

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

Erik Prince is pond scum

whatwouldcooleydo?

any mention of Seychelles automatically makes me think of this

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Erik Prince is pond scum
He's also Besty DeVos' brother. Man...crazy coincidence, huh? What a small world.

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:

Erik Prince is pond scum
He's also Besty DeVos' brother. Man...crazy coincidence, huh? What a small world.
There's an article on Devos and her family in RS that shows what Machiavellian nutjobs the entire family is.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/fe ... ht-w470605
Now it's dark.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Sharing my nightmare. Last night I dreamed I was playing some random gig. Not unusual so far. But at one point I looked over and Donald Trump was playing bass. No specific song that I remember. Then the gig was over and Trump says to me, "Hey, I'll get my posse and you get your posse and we'll go out to some clubs." So now I need a posse. Who's in? At least I think he said "posse"--he might have said "pussy." There were no groupies but the band had roadies!!!
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.