The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

I find things like this survey fascinating. I spend way too much time thinking about (imagining?) the factors that go into these results and the time passes. But as long as we're talking about statistics and statistical anomalies look what's going on here:

The analysis appropriately uses median income for the income side of the equation. But it uses AVERAGE home prices. Those 2 things don't match up. There are several reasons for this but one is that there is a hard cap on how little a house can cost (i.e. zero) but no cap on how much one can cost so in any active real estate market the average will be higher, often substantially higher, than the median. While the average price provides some useful information it does not tell us anything about what housing choices a typical family earning something around the median income would have available. It also undoubtedly makes for more eye catching "headlines (i.e. larger variances and bigger numbers).

I don't know about you, but I had never heard of Fishers, Indiana before reading this article. Just to save you the trouble, it's a suburb of Indianapolis.

https://www.zippia.com/advice/earnings- ... each-city/
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:29 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:25 pm
... and to dismiss attempts to fix the perceived problem because the problem is a statistical anomaly is imho more a matter of convenience than substance.
On re-reading, I'm concerned that this may sound much more harsh than I intended. I intended to describe that common process that many (most? all?) of us, including me, utilize to try to get a handle on the overload of stimulii regularly assaulting us by looking for reasons to not have to think about yet another controversy. I was just trying to observe that this seemed like someone doing that and not trying to be insulting or to be making or any kind of judgment. Like I say, I do that same thing all the time and am sorry if it sounds either harsh or insulting.
You’re good, bubba. Both overall and in this instance.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:41 pm
I find things like this survey fascinating. I spend way too much time thinking about (imagining?) the factors that go into these results and the time passes. But as long as we're talking about statistics and statistical anomalies look what's going on here:

The analysis appropriately uses median income for the income side of the equation. But it uses AVERAGE home prices. Those 2 things don't match up. There are several reasons for this but one is that there is a hard cap on how little a house can cost (i.e. zero) but no cap on how much one can cost so in any active real estate market the average will be higher, often substantially higher, than the median. While the average price provides some useful information it does not tell us anything about what housing choices a typical family earning something around the median income would have available. It also undoubtedly makes for more eye catching "headlines (i.e. larger variances and bigger numbers).

I don't know about you, but I had never heard of Fishers, Indiana before reading this article. Just to save you the trouble, it's a suburb of Indianapolis.

A big part of the reason I'm happy in my little reddish corner of nowhere is that I own a nice house for less than most people spend on a single car payment.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:

A big part of the reason I'm happy in my little reddish corner of nowhere is that I own a nice house for less than most people spend on a single car payment.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Cole Younger wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:27 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:19 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:26 pm

No I don’t think so but this is not the same. Almost every time it comes up the same buzz words and catch phrases are offered up like “assault weapons” or questions about magazines. For some reason the AR 15 terrifies people and I personally think that is mostly based on the way it looks. The majority of shootings are done with hand guns but hand guns don’t seem to be anywhere near the forefront of the debate. Also, because the people who want gun control don’t know what they are talking about in most instances they don’t even know what guns are capable of what and aren’t even aware of certain calibres that are capable of the exact same thing as an AR 15. I can kill a deer at a hundred yards with a .22 magnum and can get mags that hold a lot of ammo for it but most proponents of gun control don’t even know what a .22 magnum is. It can do the exact same thing as an AR 15.

Also, if I was person who wanted to cause a maximum amount of damage in a very short period of time an AR 15 or a gun with the magazines we hear about would be my last choice. I would take a plain old shot gun, not even a high caliber shotgun, a twenty gague, take the plug out of so that it could hold five rounds instead of the standard three, load it up with buckshot, and carry enough shells to fill both hip pockets. A person armed with what I just described could kill double the number of people and probably more in the same space of time someone with an AR 15 or someone with several high volume magazines could in the same space of time. But people who want gun control don’t know any of this and most of them don’t care. They’re being whipped into a frenzy by the same old people who always do that.
Also, if I was person who wanted to cause a maximum amount of damage in a very short period of time an AR 15 or a gun with the magazines we hear about would be my last choice. I would take a plain old shot gun, not even a high caliber shotgun, a twenty gague, take the plug out of so that it could hold five rounds instead of the standard three, load it up with buckshot, and carry enough shells to fill both hip pockets. A person armed with what I just described could kill double the number of people and probably more in the same space of time someone with an AR 15 or someone with several high volume magazines could in the same space of time. But people who want gun control don’t know any of this and most of them don’t care. They’re being whipped into a frenzy by the same old people who always do that.

Thought about that a lot? Should we be worried?
Lol. If guys like me were the problem it would be a whole lot worse. I can guarantee you that.

No you don’t have anything to fear from me or anyone else who will be affected by gun control laws because we are law abiding. Thus we are the the only ones that this will be anything more than a letter to Santa. The folks who perpetrate evil are going wipe their ass with gun control laws because they don’t care about laws. Same way drug laws don’t stop drugs. Unlike yourself I’m not pissed off at the world and am a happy person. From what I can see you’re a whole lot more likely to freak out and do something crazy than anybody here. I’m way more likely to help someone in trouble, even a miserable little shit like yourself, than I am to hurt an innocent person. So you can sleep well, you’re good. :lol:
I waited to cool down before replying to this post. You totally missed that my post was meant to be humorous. I have refrained from doing personal attacks while you continue to insult me. I find your ignorance masked with phony bonhommie nauseating. Most of the time I don't even read your posts as they are a reflection of what's wrong with the country. It's insane that you pretty much don't have to have a license to own fire arms. It's only common sense. If I'm reading correctly it's easier to purchase a gun in Georgia than it is to vote. Personally i would be happy if they took all the firearms not used for hunting & melted them down to create a monument for all the innocent victims. Most of the world survives quite well without handguns & assault rifles. It's like the militant gun owners who have been brainwashed by the NRA are trying to compensate for something. Like if you don't have much of a prick you become one. In short, GFY.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I grew up around hunters and hunting and I've known people who have slaughtered every type of game animal in the south and I've never known anyone who used an AR-15 to do it or anyone who used a 30 round magazine to do it. I own a couple guns....guns are cool, I guess. It is time to stop manufacturing Ar-15 rifles, similar weapons and high capacity magazines, though. Stop manufacturing this shit. Let the people who already own the shit keep the shit, but stop making it. Maybe, just maybe, ten years from now a mass shooting will be shocking if 6-8 people are killed. I'm resigned to the fact that these shooting won't stop, but why not try to limit the casualties gong forward ? What we are doing now is not working.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I appreciate this take on gun control by the comedian, Chris Rock.
You don’t need no gun control, you know what you need? We need some bullet control. Men, we need to control the bullets, that’s right. I think all bullets should cost five thousand dollars… five thousand dollars per bullet… You know why? Cause if a bullet cost five thousand dollars there would be no more innocent bystanders.
Yeah! Every time somebody get shut we’d say, ‘Damn, he must have done something ... Shit, he’s got fifty thousand dollars worth of bullets in his ass.’
And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ‘Man I would blow your fucking head off…if I could afford it.’ ‘I’m gonna get me another job, I’m going to start saving some money, and you’re a dead man. You’d better hope I can’t get no bullets on layaway.’
So even if you get shot by a stray bullet, you wouldn't have to go to no doctor to get it taken out. Whoever shot you would take their bullet back, like "I believe you got my property.
Chris Rock
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

chuckrh wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:36 am
Cole Younger wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:27 pm
chuckrh wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:19 pm

Thought about that a lot? Should we be worried?
Lol. If guys like me were the problem it would be a whole lot worse. I can guarantee you that.

No you don’t have anything to fear from me or anyone else who will be affected by gun control laws because we are law abiding. Thus we are the the only ones that this will be anything more than a letter to Santa. The folks who perpetrate evil are going wipe their ass with gun control laws because they don’t care about laws. Same way drug laws don’t stop drugs. Unlike yourself I’m not pissed off at the world and am a happy person. From what I can see you’re a whole lot more likely to freak out and do something crazy than anybody here. I’m way more likely to help someone in trouble, even a miserable little shit like yourself, than I am to hurt an innocent person. So you can sleep well, you’re good. :lol:
I waited to cool down before replying to this post. You totally missed that my post was meant to be humorous. I have refrained from doing personal attacks while you continue to insult me. I find your ignorance masked with phony bonhommie nauseating. Most of the time I don't even read your posts as they are a reflection of what's wrong with the country. It's insane that you pretty much don't have to have a license to own fire arms. It's only common sense. If I'm reading correctly it's easier to purchase a gun in Georgia than it is to vote. Personally i would be happy if they took all the firearms not used for hunting & melted them down to create a monument for all the innocent victims. Most of the world survives quite well without handguns & assault rifles. It's like the militant gun owners who have been brainwashed by the NRA are trying to compensate for something. Like if you don't have much of a prick you become one. In short, GFY.
Lol. Way to prove me wrong that you aren’t pissed off at the world and unhinged. I sure wouldn’t want YOU near a gun. You took a few days to cool down? You act like you’re on the verge of a nervous breakdown more than you don’t and I’m what wrong with this country? Hokay.😆. Since you don’t like it, it should be illegal. How puritanical of you. The only one that seems to be compensating for anything is you. And I am able to get along with most people here regardless of whether or not they like me personally because they don’t act like they need to be in a straight jacket. Don’t act like a crazy man and I won’t treat you like one. As for “personal attacks”, boo hoo. You come in here snapping and slobbering any time I say something g you don’t like and I mostly laugh at you and tell you to stop acting crazy. I give what I get. Put me on your “foe list” if you want. I promise you won’t care.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:43 am
I grew up around hunters and hunting and I've known people who have slaughtered every type of game animal in the south and I've never known anyone who used an AR-15 to do it or anyone who used a 30 round magazine to do it. I own a couple guns....guns are cool, I guess. It is time to stop manufacturing Ar-15 rifles, similar weapons and high capacity magazines, though. Stop manufacturing this shit. Let the people who already own the shit keep the shit, but stop making it. Maybe, just maybe, ten years from now a mass shooting will be shocking if 6-8 people are killed. I'm resigned to the fact that these shooting won't stop, but why not try to limit the casualties gong forward ? What we are doing now is not working.
Why do you think laws are going to end mass shootings? They’re illegal now. Laws will just mean law abiding people can’t buy certain things and they weren’t going to hurt anybody in the first place.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 pm
jr29 wrote:
Why do you think laws are going to end mass shootings? They’re illegal now. Laws will just mean law abiding people can’t buy certain things and they weren’t going to hurt anybody in the first place.
I specifically said that I'm resigned to the fact that these shootings won't stop. Maybe we can make some changes and cut the casualties by 1/3, or 1/2, or some shit. That's my point.

Give me a case of hand grenades and no one is in danger. I understand why I can't go to Walmart or Bass Pro and buy a case, though.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 pm
jr29 wrote:
You’ll never completely eliminate it completely. That’s a fallacy I see the right bring to this argument. No one thinks this will completely go away.

But if you cut it by half, that huge.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If I can remember back that far, I think the most fun part of studying Marx the first time and the compensation for having to wade through some of the densest prose ever written was Marx's insights into the "inherent contradictions" of capitalism and in particular that the more successful a capitalist is the less like a capitalist he [no "she's then] acts, i.e. the more he becomes a monopolist, negating all the benefits of the capitalist system for all but the monopolist

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Also, I live in the city of Memphis where people do legitimately use guns to protect themselves, their families, and their homes. It doesn't happen every day, but a few times a year there is a story where an intruder attempts a home invasion and the homeowner blasts the person. I've never heard of an instance where a thirty round magazine was needed. Intruder breaks window, stumbles through dark house, turns a corner and comes face to face with a .20 gauge. No 30 round magazine is needed and that .20 gauge will never be used to murder 20 people in a bar. If anyone tries there will be some good guys who jump the bad guy after 6-8 shots. Less of these guns and these magazines means less death in the future...it's simple math and common sense.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:47 pm
Also, I live in the city of Memphis where people do legitimately use guns to protect themselves, their families, and their homes. It doesn't happen every day, but a few times a year there is a story where an intruder attempts a home invasion and the homeowner blasts the person. I've never heard of an instance where a thirty round magazine was needed. Intruder breaks window, stumbles through dark house, turns a corner and comes face to face with a .20 gauge. No 30 round magazine is needed and that .20 gauge will never be used to murder 20 people in a bar. If anyone tries there will be some good guys who jump the bad guy after 6-8 shots. Less of these guns and these magazines means less death in the future...it's simple math and common sense.
You’re wrong about the 20 gague but but we will just agree to disagree there.

Agree that ARs aren’t great home defense weapons. But I’ll never be ok with “you don’t need that” or “yeah but see crazy and evil people might do something bad so you don’t get to have it even though you’re a law abiding citizen who served his country in the military honorably. We trusted you with stuff more high powered than this but you can’t have it now cause we say so.” Nah. Ain’t gonna work for me.

Do drug laws prevent drug use? Nope. Everybody who wants drugs has drugs. More laws are so many letters to Santa when it comes to evil and unhinged people doing evil and unhinged things. Thinking it will stop them or even slow them down is at the other end of the road from common sense.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:57 pm
jr29 wrote:

Agree that ARs aren’t great home defense weapons. But I’ll never be ok with “you don’t need that” or “yeah but see crazy and evil people might do something bad so you don’t get to have it even though you’re a law abiding citizen who served his country in the military honorably. We trusted you with stuff more high powered than this but you can’t have it now cause we say so.” Nah. Ain’t gonna work for me.
Insert .12 gauge, or .10 gauge, etc etc etc...it doesn't change my point.

And using the logic in your second paragraph.....where do we draw the line ? Do we trust ex-military with tanks ?
Multiple mass shooters have been ex-military.

Again....these shootings won't stop. I'm not saying that. I don't why you keep making that the narrative. Many of these guns used in mass shootings have been legally purchased. Legal gunowners doing terrible things because they have access to excessive amounts of firepower.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:04 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
jr29 wrote:

And using the logic in your second paragraph.....where do we draw the line ? Do we trust ex-military with tanks ?
No. No tanks. I know it does t change your point. Your point just doesn’t hold up to facts. Multiple terrorists have also been Muslim. Should we outlaw Islam?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
But I’ll never be ok with “you don’t need that” or “yeah but see crazy and evil people might do something bad so you don’t get to have it even though you’re a law abiding citizen who served his country in the military honorably. We trusted you with stuff more high powered than this but you can’t have it now cause we say so.” Nah. Ain’t gonna work for me.

Do drug laws prevent drug use? Nope. Everybody who wants drugs has drugs. More laws are so many letters to Santa when it comes to evil and unhinged people doing evil and unhinged things. Thinking it will stop them or even slow them down is at the other end of the road from common sense.
Your first paragraphs would seem to work comfortably alongside improved background checks, longer waiting periods, filling gaps in registration and background check regimes (e.g. gun shows), prohibiting or limiting those on the no fly list from buying guns of all sorts and the like. Your second paragraph not so much. Where do you come out on these "indirect" regulations?

Most days I'm in favor of the decriminalization of most drugs, including so called hard drugs. But it has to be said that the argument that drug laws don't stop or slow down anyone who wants to use drugs is almost impossible to prove because it is really difficult to determine how many people are in fact dissuaded from using drugs because of the risks, difficulties, and costs imposed by criminalization.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:07 pm
jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:04 pm
Cole Younger wrote:

No. No tanks. I know it does t change your point. Your point just doesn’t hold up to facts. Multiple terrorists have also been Muslim. Should we outlaw Islam?
You're flailing.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Lol. Just following your logic. Man that sounds an awful lot like a guy who knows he’s been beat. I know I can’t change your mind but you aren’t going to change mine either. I don’t really care what you call that.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:09 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
But I’ll never be ok with “you don’t need that” or “yeah but see crazy and evil people might do something bad so you don’t get to have it even though you’re a law abiding citizen who served his country in the military honorably. We trusted you with stuff more high powered than this but you can’t have it now cause we say so.” Nah. Ain’t gonna work for me.

Your first paragraphs would seem to work comfortably alongside improved background checks, longer waiting periods, filling gaps in registration and background check regimes (e.g. gun shows), prohibiting or limiting those on the no fly list from buying guns of all sorts and the like. Your second paragraph not so much. Where do you come out on these "indirect" regulations?

Most days I'm in favor of the decriminalization of most drugs, including so called hard drugs. But it has to be said that the argument that drug laws don't stop or slow down anyone who wants to use drugs is almost impossible to prove because it is really difficult to determine how many people are in fact dissuaded from using drugs because of the risks, difficulties, and costs imposed by criminalization.
I’m just about never in favor of giving the government more power. They’ve got too much as it is and they abuse it. Mandatory firearms training is one of the few things I’ve seen presented that actually makes some common sense. Ending gun shows is a pipe dream. It will just create a black market. And if I want to sell a gun to old buddy across the county I’m going to regardless of what the government says.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:15 pm
Lol. Just following your logic. Man that sounds an awful lot like a guy who knows he’s been beat. I know I can’t change your mind but you aren’t going to change mine either. I don’t really care what you call that.
Races, religions, sexual orientations etc aren't manufactured in factories. Guns and ammunition are. Just stop making these few things. Keep em if you've got em, but stop making them.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:23 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Races, religions, sexual orientations etc aren't manufactured in factories. Guns and ammunition are. Just stop making these few things. Keep em if you've got em, but stop making them.
Right. I know that’s your position that you don’t want any more of them made. I just don’t share it. I’m not in a hog fattening contest with you. I realize what you want. You’ve got a right to want it. I just don’t want it with you.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:26 pm
jr29 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Right. I know that’s your position that you don’t want any more of them made. I just don’t share it. I’m not in a hog fattening contest with you. I realize what you want. You’ve got a right to want it. I just don’t want it with you.
Easy as that. Godspeed.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:35 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
jr29 wrote:

Easy as that. Godspeed.
Yes sir. And you as well. You may have seen it but I listed a few places y’all ought to try and visit when you’re coming through here on your trip.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:36 pm
jr29 wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Easy as that. Godspeed.
Yes sir. And you as well. You may have seen it but I listed a few places y’all ought to try and visit when you’re coming through here on your trip.
Indeed, I saw and I apologize for not acknowledging it. We're still keeping an eye on weather before we make reservations or concrete plans, but Providence Canyon is at the top of my priority list. Even if we don't make all of our plans around central or southern Georgia, Providence Canyon is located in a spot that should allow us to stop by. Unless we get down into Florida I don't believe the weather will very accommodating for kayaking...at least not the way I like to do it. There are still plenty of options though. I think that whole area is gorgeous and I'm looking forward to it.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:01 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:36 pm
jr29 wrote:

Easy as that. Godspeed.
Indeed, I saw and I apologize for not acknowledging it. We're still keeping an eye on weather before we make reservations or concrete plans, but Providence Canyon is at the top of my priority list. Even if we don't make all of our plans around central or southern Georgia, Providence Canyon is located in a spot that should allow us to stop by. Unless we get down into Florida I don't believe the weather will very accommodating for kayaking...at least not the way I like to do it. There are still plenty of options though. I think that whole area is gorgeous and I'm looking forward to it.
I failed to mention the Indian mounds near Florence. Really cool. You can kayak the Chattahoochee right there too. Stay away from Rood Creek though if you’re skittish about gators. There a are a LOT of them there. Fort Gaines State Park is pretty cool too.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

My initial plan was to kayak the Ocmulgee in Macon and work in the Allman Brothers museum and whatever else. Weather forecast is saying highs in mid-50's and lows in mid-30's on the days we'd be around though. My southern ass ain't kayaking with those temps.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:18 pm
My initial plan was to kayak the Ocmulgee in Macon and work in the Allman Brothers museum and whatever else. Weather forecast is saying highs in mid-50's and lows in mid-30's on the days we'd be around though. My southern ass ain't kayaking with those temps.
Really? I surely thought we had seen the end of thirties by now. We do usually get some of it in April though. I love my kayak but it’s turkey season right now and that’s about all I’ve got on my mind honestly.