The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

“As an example, they have great beaches,” Trump told the assembled reporters. “You see that whenever they are exploding their cannons into the ocean. I said, boy, look at that view, wouldn't that make a great condo? And I explained it. I said, instead of doing that, you could have the best hotels in the world. Think of it from the real estate prospective. You have South Korea, you have China, and they own the land in the middle. How bad is that, right? It's great. ... (Kim) looked at that tape. He looked at that iPad. I’m telling you, they really enjoyed it, I believe. OK?”

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

God, that is awful. 100% style (debatable) and 0% substance. The video doesn't really even show a basic understanding of the problem(s).

Honestly, this would have been just as appropriate:

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:

God, that is awful. 100% style (debatable) and 0% substance. The video doesn't really even show a basic understanding of the problem(s).
If I didn't know differently, I would swear that video had to be produced by Scientologists :roll:

whatwouldcooleydo?

Zip City wrote:Imagine if Trump showed as much deference and respect to our allies as he does to ruthless dictators
Yep. Kim is talented and smart, while Trudeau is weak, dishonest, and has a special place in hell :x

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I got banned from the "Liberal Logic" Facebook page today, so the day wasn't a complete waste
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:I got banned from the "Liberal Logic" Facebook page today, so the day wasn't a complete waste
Oxymoron? Sorry somebody had to say it.

Zip you can't say something like that w/out providing at least some detail.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:I got banned from the "Liberal Logic" Facebook page today, so the day wasn't a complete waste
Oxymoron? Sorry somebody had to say it.

Zip you can't say something like that w/out providing at least some detail.
Wish it was a juicier story. A friend of mine posted a stupid meme having to do with something Bill Maher said on his HBO show. I commented on it that Maher is a comedian, not a politician or commentator, so who cares what he says? I was then insulted by a dozen people before being banned for "being an idiot"

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It may be that I felt something like this level of alienation and despair somewhere in the late 60's or early 70's but I was a kid then so it was inherently not as bad (though I acknowledge that my 12 or 15 year old self would beg to differ). Certainly never during my adult life have I felt the weight of the political situation in the country pushing and keeping me down to the levels I'm currently experiencing. I fear that I may have thrown around the term "despair" a little too casually over the past couple of years, because I recognize this now. THIS is despair. :( :x :cry: :cry:

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:It may be that I felt something like this level of alienation and despair somewhere in the late 60's or early 70's but I was a kid then so it was inherently not as bad (though I acknowledge that my 12 or 15 year old self would beg to differ). Certainly never during my adult life have I felt the weight of the political situation in the country pushing and keeping me down to the levels I'm currently experiencing. I fear that I may have thrown around the term "despair" a little too casually over the past couple of years, because I recognize this now. THIS is despair. :( :x :cry: :cry:
I'm with you 100%, it's just so mind-numbing depressing. The worst part is how much i try to disengage myself from incredibly important national and world events (e.g.,. anything having to do what Scott Pruitt is doing at the EPA) just to keep my sanity. While I do some small political stuff now, what I just started to focus on recently is coming up with a game plan on what I am going to do in 2020 in order to make a difference. I could just stay in my blue state and send a little cash to a few of the candidates with a few trips to Wisconsin to help get out (and protect) the vote, but I owe it to my kids to let them see that I did more than that this time. Our generation made this happen, we need to fix this.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I can't even imagine the level of hysteria and invective if President Obama had saluted a North Korean general.

Let's be clear: That Trump saluted a North Korean general doesn't even amount to a footnote to history. What matters is that to a substantial portion of the citizens of this country, the purveyors of talk radio and Fox News, this is ok ONLY because Trump did it and it would be called "treasonous" and worse if Obama did it. Small example, but totally on point as THE central problem with political life in this country today. On a larger scale, it is the only way that people can, with a straight face, say that Trump's negotiations w/ Kim were a triumph for the US, to say nothing of N Korea no longer being a nuclear threat :shock: :shock: :shock: . I know of no way to fight this. Cue Living Colour's "Cult of Personality."

Of the millions and billions of words I've read since Trump's election these are undoubtedly the truest, written by George Orwell in his "Notes on Nationalism" in 1945 (that guy knew his authoritarianism and nationalism!) as quoted by Jennifer Rubin in the WaPo:

"All nationalists have the power of not seeing resemblances between similar sets of facts. . . . Actions are held to be good or bad, not on their own merits, but according to who does them, and there is almost no kind of outrage — torture, the use of hostages, forced labour, mass deportations, imprisonment without trial, forgery, assassination, the bombing of civilians — which does not change its moral colour when it is committed by “our” side. . . . Indifference to objective truth is encouraged by the sealing-off of one part of the world from another, which makes it harder and harder to discover what is actually happening.”

#despair #scaredtodeath

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:I can't even imagine the level of hysteria and invective if President Obama had saluted a North Korean general.

Let's be clear: That Trump saluted a North Korean general doesn't even amount to a footnote to history. What matters is that to a substantial portion of the citizens of this country, the purveyors of talk radio and Fox News, this is ok ONLY because Trump did it and it would be called "treasonous" and worse if Obama did it. Small example, but totally on point as THE central problem with political life in this country today. On a larger scale, it is the only way that people can, with a straight face, say that Trump's negotiations w/ Kim were a triumph for the US, to say nothing of N Korea no longer being a nuclear threat :shock: :shock: :shock: . I know of no way to fight this. Cue Living Colour's "Cult of Personality."

Of the millions and billions of words I've read since Trump's election these are undoubtedly the truest, written by George Orwell in his "Notes on Nationalism" in 1945 (that guy knew his authoritarianism and nationalism!) as quoted by Jennifer Rubin in the WaPo:

"All nationalists have the power of not seeing resemblances between similar sets of facts. . . . Actions are held to be good or bad, not on their own merits, but according to who does them, and there is almost no kind of outrage — torture, the use of hostages, forced labour, mass deportations, imprisonment without trial, forgery, assassination, the bombing of civilians — which does not change its moral colour when it is committed by “our” side. . . . Indifference to objective truth is encouraged by the sealing-off of one part of the world from another, which makes it harder and harder to discover what is actually happening.”

#despair #scaredtodeath
But on the bright side, at least we aren’t separating children from parents at the border and sticking them in cages :roll:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:But on the bright side, at least we aren’t separating children from parents at the border and sticking them in cages
The "I'm just following orders" defense offered up by some border officers is among the most chilling things I've ever heard. Yeah, as a Jew w/ an Eastern European heritage I'm a little sensitive to that one, but OTOH, I'm a little sensitive to that one for a damn good reason. This is happening in the United States of America right now!!!

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:But on the bright side, at least we aren’t separating children from parents at the border and sticking them in cages
The "I'm just following orders" defense offered up by some border officers is among the most chilling things I've ever heard. Yeah, as a Jew w/ an Eastern European heritage I'm a little sensitive to that one, but OTOH, I'm a little sensitive to that one for a damn good reason. This is happening in the United States of America right now!!!
from earlier today, Sessions justification for the shit going on at the border:

Sessions, speaking in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on immigration, pushed back against criticism he had received over the policy. On Wednesday, a cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church said that separating mothers from their babies was “immoral.”

Sessions said many of the recent criticisms were not “fair or logical and some are contrary to law.”

I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order,” he said. “Orderly and lawful processes are good in themselves and protect the weak and lawful.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:

Sessions, speaking in Fort Wayne, Indiana, on immigration, pushed back against criticism he had received over the policy. On Wednesday, a cardinal in the Roman Catholic Church said that separating mothers from their babies was “immoral.”

Sessions said many of the recent criticisms were not “fair or logical and some are contrary to law.”

I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order,” he said. “Orderly and lawful processes are good in themselves and protect the weak and lawful.
So, stop protesting legal abortions? Cognitive dissonance, anyone?
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

So, stop protesting legal abortions? Cognitive dissonance, anyone?
Yeah, ok, cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy, the usual litany of bullshit. But wait. There's more! THE FUCKING ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES JUST CITED THE BIBLE AS THE LEGAL BASIS/JUSTIFICATION FOR GOVERNMENT ACTION. THIS IS INSANE!!!! That cocksucking motherfucking fucker and his boss are destroying the United States of America.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Yeah, ok, cognitive dissonance, hypocrisy, the usual litany of bullshit. But wait. There's more! THE FUCKING ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE UNITED STATES JUST CITED THE BIBLE AS THE LEGAL BASIS/JUSTIFICATION FOR GOVERNMENT ACTION. THIS IS INSANE!!!! That cocksucking motherfucking fucker and his boss are destroying the United States of America.
I guess we need to tip the band well so they won't stop playing.

Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, keep on playing, especially while u read or watch reports of Sarah Huckabee Sanders "responding" to questions about children in cages and biblical quotes. Some months or years ago this would fall under "you've gotta laugh otherwise you'd be crying" but absurd as it is, I can't even manage a chuckle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We can play the bible game too
Leviticus 19:34 The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This is just too perfect. Totally hysterical. I can't guarantee that this is the first time a lawyer has been ordered to take continuing legal education courses by a judge as part of losing a case, but I've never heard of it. And of course it's Kobach, so it's especially delicious. And just think, a couple of months ago we thought it was incredibly embarrassing that he submitted a brief w/ his own notes in it saying that he didn't think a certain point was a good argument (or something like that). I bet he's wishing for a return to those simpler days :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch ... ation-case

John A Arkansawyer

I'm taking my laughs where I can get 'em, and this is indeed as funny as hell.
beantownbubba wrote:This is just too perfect. Totally hysterical. I can't guarantee that this is the first time a lawyer has been ordered to take continuing legal education courses by a judge as part of losing a case, but I've never heard of it. And of course it's Kobach, so it's especially delicious. And just think, a couple of months ago we thought it was incredibly embarrassing that he submitted a brief w/ his own notes in it saying that he didn't think a certain point was a good argument (or something like that). I bet he's wishing for a return to those simpler days :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch ... ation-case
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

sorry, no laughs to be had here

https://splinternews.com/the-trump-admi ... 1826973554

Houston mayor Sylvester Turner said he had met with officials from Southwest Key Programs, the federal contractor that would operate the shelter, to ask them to reconsider their plans. According to a Bloomberg report on Tuesday, Southwest Key Programs is set to make over $458 million off of operating child detention centers for the government this year.

According to the AP, the running number of children who have been forcibly separated from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border since the “zero-tolerance” policy was announced in May is over 2,342. Trump administration officials told the Washington Examiner that DHHS could be detaining as many as 30,000 children by the end of the summer.

I'm surprised Trump hasn't slapped his "brand" on this internment camps yet. Trump Cities/Trumpville seems fitting

John A Arkansawyer

This is kind of politics and kind of music, so it's going here. I remember having vaguely negative feelings about the original story of Joey Feek's death. I think I was wrong to feel that way. This is the way a decent person treats family. More power to Rory Feek!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Fuck.Them.All :x :x :x :x

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

concentration camps for toddlers. dang, what'll they think of next?

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I'm surprised Trump hasn't slapped his "brand" on this internment camps yet. Trump Cities/Trumpville seems fitting
He's a builder!