The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Clams »

Do you hate Obama? Do you love him? Are you shocked at how lame the republican presidential candidates are? Do you wonder how anyone cold possibly vote for a douchebag like Rick Santorum? Do you want to argue about how to fix health care or the economy? Do you hate liberals? Do you hate conservatives? Do you just like to be a dicktard and argue with people all the time?

Lately it seems like so many of the good threads about music and other stuff are getting derailed by political arguments. And it always sucks when that happens. So, let's put all the talk about democrats, republicans, elections and political shit, etc. right here in this thread.

Personally I won't be checking this thread too often, but I'm sure y'all will be happy to keep it going. Who wants to get things started?
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

scotto

Re: The 2012 Thread for Political Shit

Post by scotto »

Stones > Beatles

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Jesus was a Capricorn, he ate organic foods.
He believed in love and peace and never wore no shoes.
Long hair, beard and sandals and a funky bunch of friends.
Reckon they'd just nail him up if He come down again.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

extra points for the use of "dicktard"
Beebs is not a ragey man

sg207

Post by sg207 »

I pretty much hate politicians.

I don't like Obama.

I'm pretty sure I like the Republican candidates less.

I'm positive I like Santorum a lot less. And Gingrich a lot, lot less.

I think the past few years has shown us pretty clearly, that very little actually gets changed depending on which party is in office. The only thing that really changes is who is getting the free handouts from Washington.

Our candidates will be from different parties, but they will still be two turds from the same pile of shit.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

sg207 wrote:two turds from the same pile of shit.

Shittards?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

sg207 wrote:
I think the past few years has shown us pretty clearly, that very little actually gets changed depending on which party is in office. The only thing that really changes is who is getting the free handouts from Washington.

Party loyalists used to be able to argue that it mattered because the party in charge got to appoint federal judges for life. But now neither party lets the other party's nominees actually be appointed. So there's even less to tell the parties apart by.

I know they don't call it "civics" anymore, but by whatever name I wonder how they can even teach it anymore in HS w/ a straight face. Remember "how a bill becomes law? Yeah. Right.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Washington is broken beyond repair
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

For the best campaign reporting you're likely to hear all this season, tune in to the national news on NPR at 3 pm Eastern time this afternoon when you'll hear all about the KS caucus. ;) :)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:For the best campaign reporting you're likely to hear all this season, tune in to the national news on NPR at 3 pm Eastern time this afternoon when you'll hear all about the KS caucus. ;) :)

I may have been a little subtle there: My son's reporting on the national news, ok? :lol:

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

clams is a genius.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

The founding fathers could never have envisioned the clusterfuck it's become. Politics is the root of all evil.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Slipkid42 wrote:Politics is the root of all evil.

No, that would be money - but money is the root of all politics, so touche.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

At this point, politics is just sports for smart people. Being a democrat or a republican is like being a Red Sox or a Yankee fan.
Keep calm and have a cigar

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:For the best campaign reporting you're likely to hear all this season, tune in to the national news on NPR at 3 pm Eastern time this afternoon when you'll hear all about the KS caucus. ;) :)

I may have been a little subtle there: My son's reporting on the national news, ok? :lol:

This is the kind of incisive reporting we need more of to insure that an informed electorate can make good choices. :lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Santorum, and the people who support him, scare me. I really don't see much difference between his worldview and how people like the KKK or Hamas see things.

The good news is that's only about 25% of the Republicans in a given state. The bad news is that's enough to get him a nomination. I guess that guarantees an Obama victory, but I'm not wild about him either.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:Santorum, and the people who support him, scare me. I really don't see much difference between his worldview and how people like the KKK or Hamas see things.

The good news is that's only about 25% of the Republicans in a given state. The bad news is that's enough to get him a nomination. I guess that guarantees an Obama victory, but I'm not wild about him either.

I'm definitely disappointed in Obama, but the alternative is unthinkable.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Smitty wrote:I'm definitely disappointed in Obama, but the alternative is unthinkable.

This! Sooo THIS!
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

cortez the killer wrote:Jesus was a Capricorn, he ate organic foods.

When did he talk about taking mony from people who earned it and giving it to people ho didn't?
Just being agnostic I wouldn't know that, but I don't think that's in there, I think his message was to work hard and do for yourself... At least from what I've heard.
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LuthierJustin wrote:

When did he talk about taking mony from people who earned it and giving it to people ho didn't?
Just being agnostic I wouldn't know that, but I don't think that's in there, I think his message was to work hard and do for yourself... At least from what I've heard.

I'd say the meek inheriting the Earth is a pretty big transfer payment.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
Iowan wrote:Santorum, and the people who support him, scare me. I really don't see much difference between his worldview and how people like the KKK or Hamas see things.

Pretty much nailed my thoughts. My biggest disappointment w/Obama is how malleable he is to political whims, but like you said the alternative is just the equivalent of bombing this country back a century.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

LuthierJustin wrote:

"It is easier for a camel to pass through a needle's eye than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom"

I'm not religious, but I don't see how that jives with Republican-ness.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If you're disappointed in Obama, the question you ought to ask yourself is, "How much could he have done and how should he have done it given the divided Congress, the divided country and the general state of Washington politics?"

I'm not saying one can't or shouldn't be disappointed, but in my perfect world, anyone who expressed that view would have a thoughtful answer to this question. So my perfect world is only off by about 98.2%.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Iowan wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Pretty much nailed my thoughts. My biggest disappointment w/Obama is how malleable he is to political whims, but like you said the alternative is just the equivalent of bombing this country back a century.

Bingo!
Keep calm and have a cigar

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I like O. A little disappointed but I think he accomplished things W couldn't. They all scare me.
Slipkid42 wrote:The founding fathers could never have envisioned the clusterfuck it's become.

and don't even get me started on those m f ers.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Here's the perspective of a relatively new voter: I got put all the way through AP Government in high school, so I ended up quite disillusioned with the entire political system by the time I was registered to vote. The left and right are equally crooked, IMO, and all the politicians really believe in are the things that they think will get them and/or keep them in office (and of course will pass the buck when the public disapproves). I find it absolutely sickening.

I myself am apolitical for that reason. But I do feel a very pressing need to fulfill my responsibility as a voting citizen (after all, women were last to gain suffrage here in the US), and I did actually vote at 17 my 1st time in a primary because I would be 18 by the following fall, when some of those same offices/issues would be voted on again. The only way I can think to consciously use my voting power to some good is to vote split ticket. And that is exactly what I do. Vote the parties into opposing offices in such a way that they cancel each other out. The more they're fighting with each other over what needs to be done and who should control what, the less they're bothering me with radically conservative/liberal policies. And that's all right by me.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:If you're disappointed in Obama, the question you ought to ask yourself is, "How much could he have done and how should he have done it given the divided Congress, the divided country and the general state of Washington politics?"

I'm not saying one can't or shouldn't be disappointed, but in my perfect world, anyone who expressed that view would have a thoughtful answer to this question. So my perfect world is only off by about 98.2%.

I'm not disappointed in his accomplishment's. I'm disappointed in how quickly he backs off positions sometimes, when it starts to look like they're politically unpopular. The big one is how he's now prosecuting medical marijuana. I realize that he's being a smart politician when he does stuff like that, but I'd rather he stick to what he believes.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LuthierJustin wrote:

yes and no.

on the one hand, there's the whole "teach a man to fish" parable, which is about getting people to support themselves.

on the other, there's the whole fighting for the poor and downtrodden thing

either way, I don't really give a shit what Jesus did/didn't say in relation to politics. people like Santorum think that the Bible trumps the Constitution
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Politics is the least productive thing this country ever got good at. It has divided us & really serves no purpose. The sooner we shitcan our current political structure & all get on the same page, the more likely it is that we will stave off the reckless revolution. (that is bound to happen otherwise).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:Politics is the least productive thing this country ever got good at.

I think you have it backwards, Slip. Politics gave us a country. Politics gave us the Constitution. Politics gave us "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." The 1st Amendment. The 14th Amendment. The 19th Amendment. An independent judiciary. The Federalist Papers. Abraham Lincoln. Land grant colleges (i.e. your state university). Compulsory education. The Civil Rights Acts. Social Security.

The problem is that we used to be great at politics. Then we were good at it. Now we suck at it.