The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

Did you feel it? Did you feel the earth (American politics and society division) shimmy and shake just a little bit yesterday? It was subtle but it was real. In a few months, we will look back on 29 March 2022 as a true before/after demarcation. So, what happened?

The mainstream media was all over the big news, word of the 7 hour gap in the Presidential phone logs. But of course the comparisons were immediately to Watergate, Rosemary Woods and the infamous 18 minute gap in the Nixon White House recordings. But here’s the thing: the main takeaway for most people from Watergate was/is “it’s not the crime, it’s always the cover-up that gets you.” That may be true when the actual crime is a “third rate burglary.” But it’s more than a little different when the crime is the attempted overthrow of the government of the United States of America.

Conspiracy theorists woke up this morning w/ a blinding migraine caused by the sound of the violins from the Psycho shower scene screeching in their heads, and just wait until it’s turned up to 11(very soon). Here’s the problem: a missing 7 hour gap in White House telephone logs is the very definition of red meat for conspiracy theorists. But what if the conspiracy directly implicates your main man and his henchmen? How can you believe in, say, Pizzagate, and not see a conspiracy here? Sure you can explain away why the vaccinated fat guy with emphysema down the block is alive but your previously healthy but unvaccinated father/sister/best friend is dead as coincidence or maybe as some conspiracy even darker than the evil Fauci. But how do you explain away this one? It’s not technology, it’s not a long-legged secretary, it’s not “just an innocent mistake” that could happen to anyone. It is… a real-life conspiracy! And a conspiracy to hide information about a crucial moment in American history, i.e. the moment that a mob stormed the Capitol in an attempt to overthrow a presidential election, Get ready for an outbreak of severe cognitivius dissonia (yes I made that up but cognitive dissonance doesn’t quite convey the intensity of this syndrome/disease).

Oh, one other thing about the missing logs: Unless you actually believe they’re missing by accident, then they’re missing on purpose. And if they’re missing on purpose it means that, ahem, somebody thought that it would be better for the American people not to know what the President of the United States was doing while a mob sought to overthrow the government and disregard a valid, legitimate election. Can you say “guilty knowledge”?

Perhaps yesterday’s moment with the most potential for long term impact was little noticed: Trump declared that “I don’t even know what a burner phone is.” Uh huh. Not even Don Jr will believe this whopper. It is clearly a lie, but that’s standard operating procedure for Trump. What’s new is that this is the first statement I can ever remember Trump making that is defensive in nature and reeking of desperation. He didn’t apologize for bullying a disabled person. He didn’t really apologize for his comments about women. His best defense has always been a good offense. But this? This resonates of a Ted Cruz, a Kevin McCarthy, i.e. a garden variety politician trying to defend the indefensible by making incredible statements that defy reality and the lived experience of 300 million Americans. The important point about Trump’s comment is this: In every conspiracy there comes a turning point where the conspirators have to choose between sticking together or making the best deal they can for themselves. One might have thought that moment came when Trump did not provide the blanket amnesties so many sought before he left office. But he survived that one. He won’t survive this one. Whatever you think about the Trump gang, they are shrewd political players and completely self-interested. We can be sure that Trump’s comment will be seen as a hole below the waterline by the sailors along for the ride who will now seek their own lifeboats.

Also on a very busy Tuesday, a Russian state TV host called for “regime change” in the United States and for the reinstatement of Russia’s “partner” Donald Trump as president. Even the most aggressive defenders of Trump are going to have a problem with this one. It’s not the libs alleging that Trump is in cahoots w/ the Russians, it’s Russia itself proclaiming it from the satellites. And in what context? A seditious call for a coup. This is a significant leap forward from libs trying to explain that there is no other explanation for Trump’s actions than that he is in bed with the Russians, whether by choice, by coercion or because he’s happiest being a happy idiot. This time, the people that really know said the quiet part REALLY REALLY LOUD. And while one might dismiss the “regime change” comment alone as a mere tit for tat for Biden’s comments because, yeah, our politics has devolved to 8 year olds fighting on the playground, combined with the “partner” comment it takes on a whole different, more serious, more threatening cast.

Not coincidentally, on the same day, Trump called on Russia to provide details on Hunter Biden’s alleged transgressions. This seems like a clear link between Russia’s interest in regime change and Trump’s interest in partnering w/ Russia to achieve it. That’s beyond the formerly outrageous fact of a former president calling on a foreign power to interfere in American domestic politics. I know I don’t have the wildest imagination but I am having a very hard time trying to anticipate what a defense of these two statements might look like. Those who have been willing to overlook Trump’s egregious behavior vis a vis Russia because they believe in some greater purpose/cause now have to confront the reality that the “greater cause” they’re supporting is nothing less than the overthrow of the US government in cooperation with Russia.

Not to be outdone, the inimitable Madison Cowthorn alleged that even Republicans engage in orgies and cocaine sniffing in sinful Washington. Nothing new here, except that these kinds of allegations are always assumed by Republicans to apply only to godless Democrats and liberals. Now that someone who knows tells them that the sewer really is a sewer that leaves nobody untouched, it has to shake one’s confidence in one’s moral certainty and understanding of who is “us” and who is “them,”

As an aside, I give the mainstream media a tiny bit of credit for not getting out in front of the 7 hour gap story. Even though we all “know” what happened during that period, without the logs it’s difficult to document what exactly we don’t know. Except we do know. We know from multiple independent sources at least some of the people Trump spoke to during that time and, to a lesser extent, what they talked about. The media’s reticence is inappropriate in light of the known, documented facts.

So, to sum up, to continue to support Trump is to believe that he doesn’t know what a burner phone is, that his phone logs for a time when the Capitol just happened to be under assault are missing by accident, that the missing logs aren’t evidence of a conspiracy or an admission of guilty knowledge about the events of January 6th or both, that it’s ok that Russia considers him a “partner” and that it’s ok for Trump to call for a foreign power to sabotage the American political system. You also have to reject information direct from the source that the people we rely on and trust to save us from the godless liberals are no different than the godless liberals in the most sinful of ways. These go to the heart of the Trumpian and QAnon belief system and will be harder for adherents to dismiss than arguably more obvious direct assaults on “norms” or the complaints of libs and elites.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

But he got a hole in one in golf
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:53 pm

So, to sum up, to continue to support Trump is to believe that he doesn’t know what a burner phone is, that his phone logs for a time when the Capitol just happened to be under assault are missing by accident, that the missing logs aren’t evidence of a conspiracy or an admission of guilty knowledge about the events of January 6th or both, that it’s ok that Russia considers him a “partner” and that it’s ok for Trump to call for a foreign power to sabotage the American political system. You also have to reject information direct from the source that the people we rely on and trust to save us from the godless liberals are no different than the godless liberals in the most sinful of ways. These go to the heart of the Trumpian and QAnon belief system and will be harder for adherents to dismiss than arguably more obvious direct assaults on “norms” or the complaints of libs and elites.
I agree with everything you said, btb, wholeheartedly. I just can't share your optimism that this event may drive RepubliQans/Conspiracy Theorists toward logical thinking. Everytime I'm sure we have hit the absolute bottom, these folks find new ways to redefine hypocrisy. The well just keeps getting deeper, no matter how full of stupid it gets.

Like we've been falling so long, gravity is gone and we're just floating. <<<okay, maybe I'm excited about Homecoming and conflating threads ;) >>>
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:

Not to be outdone, the inimitable Madison Cowthorn alleged that even Republicans engage in orgies and cocaine sniffing in sinful Washington. Nothing new here, except that these kinds of allegations are always assumed by Republicans to apply only to godless Democrats and liberals. Now that someone who knows tells them that the sewer really is a sewer that leaves nobody untouched, it has to shake one’s confidence in one’s moral certainty and understanding of who is “us” and who is “them,”

After Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) went on a podcast and alleged that some of his Republican colleagues in Congress are orgy-frequenting degenerates with a fondness for hard drugs, members of the House GOP had a simple response on Tuesday.

Name names.

Matt Gaetz

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:46 pm
Matt Gaetz
My first thought as well.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:43 pm
I just can't share your optimism that this event may drive RepubliQans/Conspiracy Theorists toward logical thinking. Everytime I'm sure we have hit the absolute bottom, these folks find new ways to redefine hypocrisy. The well just keeps getting deeper, no matter how full of stupid it gets.
Impossible to refute of course and damn I hate being the optimist in the group. And yet I do feel that this is different. The key differences are not the obvious ones. It's not so much what Trump said, it's the silliness/pettiness of the lie and the defensive nature of his reaction. If we've learned anything from Trump, or maybe if we've learned anything about Trump's modus operandi, it's if you're going to lie, lie big and if you're going to respond to an opponent's threat, the best defense is aggressive offense. The burner comment is the antithesis of both and I think his people will either recognize this immediately or at the very least sense that something's changed, even if not quite consciously. And I do believe that his sycophants and enablers will get the message loud and clear.

Total speculation but it makes sense to me: I have to believe that Eastman has been on the verge of cracking for a while and the latest court decision against him (his emails aren't privileged) and Trump's comments may well put him over the edge. After all, he's a lawyer so he KNOWS what he's done and on what questionable, swampy ground he's standing.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:58 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
I just can't share your optimism that this event may drive RepubliQans/Conspiracy Theorists toward logical thinking. Everytime I'm sure we have hit the absolute bottom, these folks find new ways to redefine hypocrisy. The well just keeps getting deeper, no matter how full of stupid it gets.
Impossible to refute of course and damn I hate being the optimist in the group. And yet I do feel that this is different. The key differences are not the obvious ones. It's not so much what Trump said, it's the silliness/pettiness of the lie and the defensive nature of his reaction. If we've learned anything from Trump, or maybe if we've learned anything about Trump's modus operandi, it's if you're going to lie, lie big and if you're going to respond to an opponent's threat, the best defense is aggressive offense. The burner comment is the antithesis of both and I think his people will either recognize this immediately or at the very least sense that something's changed, even if not quite consciously. And I do believe that his sycophants and enablers will get the message loud and clear.

Total speculation but it makes sense to me: I have to believe that Eastman has been on the verge of cracking for a while and the latest court decision against him (his emails aren't privileged) and Trump's comments may well put him over the edge. After all, he's a lawyer so he KNOWS what he's done and on what questionable, swampy ground he's standing.
I hope you are right btb.

A different bubba's take to another bubba. :)

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

After Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) went on a podcast and alleged that some of his Republican colleagues in Congress are orgy-frequenting degenerates with a fondness for hard drugs, members of the House GOP had a simple response on Tuesday.

Name names.

Matt Gaetz
I've a feeling that Cawthorn (my NC "representative") is merely envious because he cannot rise to the occasion.
Now it's dark.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Flea wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:36 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Name names.

Matt Gaetz
I've a feeling that Cawthorn (my NC "representative") is merely envious because he cannot rise to the occasion.
Don't be so hard-on him.

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:22 pm
Flea wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:36 pm
pearlbeer wrote:

Matt Gaetz
Don't be so hard-on him.
You're right, he has enough stiff competition from his colleagues without me being so turgid.
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:58 pm
pearlbeer wrote:

While nothing you say is false, I don't think it comes to the wake-up-QAnon! conclusion you argue for. The conspiratorial mind is a wonder of topology. Those folks are far too clever to ever wise up.

What I do think it adds up to is a growing realization by many Republicans that they can do better without Trump on the ballot in 2024 than with him. A Trumpier Trump without the baggage--a DeSantis, for instance--is just what the doctor ordered. Except Trump may not be beatable in the primaries.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

I figure the Biden administration is not cynical/determined enough to start a shooting war before the midterms, but I can't see them putting it off much past the end of the politically optimal time. Please convince me I'm wrong.

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:51 pm
I figure the Biden administration is not cynical/determined enough to start a shooting war before the midterms, but I can't see them putting it off much past the end of the politically optimal time. Please convince me I'm wrong.
A shooting war??!! Against who? For what purpose(s), stated or unstated? Do you really think that there's a "rally 'round the flag" response by a majority of this country just waiting to be tapped by an ambitious politician or political party? The only circumstance I can imagine eliciting that kind of response would be an unambiguous, direct attack on US territory or maybe US citizens abroad if they were clearly targeted and the number is large enough, by a clearly identifiable state actor. Even if that were to happen, the Administration would be reactive, having no control over who, when or where that might happen.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:42 pm
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:51 pm
A shooting war??!! Against who? For what purpose(s), stated or unstated? Do you really think that there's a "rally 'round the flag" response by a majority of this country just waiting to be tapped by an ambitious politician or political party?
It's just a hunch, based on (this is a weird indicator, but it put me on this line of thought) how happy so many of my normally peace-minded friends were to defend a man being publicly assaulted over a bad joke. Makes me think the pro-war propaganda I hear is working on the deep level. Or maybe it just all seems like pro-war propaganda. It's certainly reminiscent of the full court press before the first war on Iraq. And Ukraine is much more of a democracy than Kuwait was.

I guess I'm just saying if war fever starts, don't expect liberal Democrats to stop it. They'll cheer it on.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

From an opinion column on al.com:

.....As new as this feels, it’s an old story in Alabama politics. Call it the Wallace conundrum: Did he really mean all those things he said? Or was he just doing it for the votes?

If you listen to the Drive-By Truckers as much as I do, you know how the next line of the song goes.
(with link to:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUd_t_QeSqw

Full column:

https://www.al.com/news/2022/04/kay-ive ... trump.html
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Love the DBT reference of course, but that Whitmire guy, who is totally new to me, turns out to be pretty damn impressive. That's a really well written column.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:43 pm
Love the DBT reference of course, but that Whitmire guy, who is totally new to me, turns out to be pretty damn impressive. That's a really well written column.
We have a couple of good ones here in town. John Archibald and Kyle Whitmore both consistently do great work.
Let the outside air in

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jennifer Rubin has a column in today's WaPo about the lack of trust in institutions and each other that is killing democracy. Nothing new but it reminded me of the important corollary which I don't think gets talked about as much, which is lack of credibility.

For example it may well be that there are good arguments for not making significant or permanent decisions about transgender kids while they're still in single digits or even teens. I have no idea what the rights, wrongs, best practices and uncertainties are in this area. It makes a certain amount of intuitive sense that going slow in this area may be a good idea. But the people who have proposed legislation or otherwise joined the public debate on the go slow or prohibit side of the argument are the likes of Lauren Boebert and the Texas legislature. I don't know a single person who is on the other side, neutral or having some doubts about what to do in this area believe for a second that Boebert or the TX legislature have the best interest of the affected children and families at heart. Just to be clear, that includes me. W/out that credibility there can be no legitimate questioning of dearly held but unexamined beliefs, no discussion and no working towards the best possible solution. So it's either all or none, depending on where one lives. Does this make sense to anybody, most of all the affected families?

Neither public figures nor institutions can function w/out credibility. And w/out public figures and institutions we can't have a functioning government or society. But the more one cares about playing to one's base, the less one cares about one's own credibility. We are in a very bad place w/ no easy solutions in sight.

Jonathan Haidt in the Atlantic had a very good recent take on the role of social media in all this. Actually, Rubin cites it in her column. It's very much worth reading and you can't beat the eye-catching headline.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ic%20Daily

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

If Lindsay Graham has ham for Easter isn't it technically cannibalism?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

This pedophilia/grooming kick the Republicans are in is completely out of hand. It needs to be squashed. Hard. Immediately. Hard to know who is going to do the squashing, but at the very least every one of us is responsible for responding if we're ever in hearing distance of this bullshit.

This is not the biggest issue facing our republic but it is indicative of the depths of our problems. That enough people are receptive to this to make some politicians think it is worth their while to make wild, unsupported and unsupportable accusations along these lines is evidence of a deep, deep sickness.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:07 am
This pedophilia/grooming kick the Republicans are in is completely out of hand. It needs to be squashed. Hard. Immediately. Hard to know who is going to do the squashing, but at the very least every one of us is responsible for responding if we're ever in hearing distance of this bullshit.

This is not the biggest issue facing our republic but it is indicative of the depths of our problems. That enough people are receptive to this to make some politicians think it is worth their while to make wild, unsupported and unsupportable accusations along these lines is evidence of a deep, deep sickness.
Sorry to nitpick, btb, but you misspelled RepubliQan.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Re: The 2012 Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:19 am
Stones > Beatles
This thread was incendiary from the very beginning.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:01 pm
scotto wrote:
Stones > Beatles
It isn't healthy to debate facts. scotto speaks truth.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

beantownbubba wrote:

The right-wing base (and to a degree the fringe) conditions its politicians. It's been that way since at least 2010. They used to be able to tame them at least enough to make sure they didn't completely derail whatever exactly their ideological project was supposed to be (mostly just tax cuts and deregulation, I suppose) but at this point the establishment has completely lost control.

The Ginni Thomas situation is a great example of this. Back in the old days of Lee Atwater types, people in her position would be conning the rubes/conspiratorial-minded folks and laughing all the way to the bank. Now they've become one with the rubes.

As with all other things bad, the pandemic was an accelerant in regards to Q and Q-adjacent stuff. I'm a sicko who pays a lot of attention to happenings on the RW fringes and it's been breathtaking how rapidly a lot of these things have taken root.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

Flea

Post by Flea »

brettac1 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:55 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

The right-wing base (and to a degree the fringe) conditions its politicians. It's been that way since at least 2010. They used to be able to tame them at least enough to make sure they didn't completely derail whatever exactly their ideological project was supposed to be (mostly just tax cuts and deregulation, I suppose) but at this point the establishment has completely lost control.

The Ginni Thomas situation is a great example of this. Back in the old days of Lee Atwater types, people in her position would be conning the rubes/conspiratorial-minded folks and laughing all the way to the bank. Now they've become one with the rubes.

As with all other things bad, the pandemic was an accelerant in regards to Q and Q-adjacent stuff. I'm a sicko who pays a lot of attention to happenings on the RW fringes and it's been breathtaking how rapidly a lot of these things have taken root.
Some of their radio pontificators are downright scary and dangerous. Ever listen to Andrew Wilkow on Sirius XM? He is a believable (to those inclined) version of Alex Jones without the extreme cray cray.
Now it's dark.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Flea wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:51 pm
brettac1 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:55 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

Some of their radio pontificators are downright scary and dangerous. Ever listen to Andrew Wilkow on Sirius XM? He is a believable (to those inclined) version of Alex Jones without the extreme cray cray.
I have heard him a little bit. The ones who are able to sanitize and sand down the really crazy shit are the most dangerous by far. They can really take in otherwise unsuspecting people with a veneer of legitimacy. They're on *the radio*, after all.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

scotto

Post by scotto »

In addition to mindless bandwagon jumping with the grooming/pedophilia nonsense, they're not even using those terms correctly in the context they're shambling through.

scotto

Post by scotto »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:47 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:01 pm
scotto wrote:
Stones > Beatles
It isn't healthy to debate facts. scotto speaks truth.
I would never lie to my friends.

John A Arkansawyer

The two billion dollar payoff:

Princelings and War Crimes
The Kushner-bin Salman connection runs even deeper than you think.

It was one of the few times when I surveyed the horizon and thought, “Maybe the good guys don’t come out on top in this?”