The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

scotto wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:42 pm
I like roundabouts. They ease the stop-start of traffic and reduce congestion. The problem with them has more to do with folks who either don't know how they work or suffer from me-first aggressive driving.
You assume the conclusion. It is entirely possible, indeed likely, that drivers in other parts of the country are better than MA drivers. We have roundabouts, called rotaries, and most of the urban ones are exciting roulette games.

More generally, roundabouts can be a good solution to some traffic problems. But the solution has to match the problem and be effective.

LOL just saw Cortez's post. He knows whereof he speaks.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

They undoubtedly have their usefulness but they got so overdone in WI to the point of annoyance. There are random ones out in the middle of nowhere where there isn't even traffic.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Somewhere in a gentler world, there is a traffic system created out of nothing but roundabouts.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LOL, even after all these years I have no idea what will capture the attention of the reading and commenting public.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

We don't have to worry about Kamala Harris isolating with COVID since she seems to be in hiding, haha. Bit disappointed in her. I had a nightmare: Trump wins next election with his little Margie Taylor-Green as running mate. A month into the term, the junk food finally gets Trump & Margie has 4 years to destroy the country. Might be time to look into Canadian real estate.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:10 am
It's only appropriate the last great Stones single will be "Doom and Gloom":

Bonkers
Rep. Scott Perry (R-PA), yet another far-right House member, now the head of the Freedom Caucus. In the days after Biden was declared the winner of the 2020 election he was texting Mark Meadows insisting that Meadows get DNI John Ratcliffe (another House right-winger who Trump had installed as chief of US intelligence based on essentially no professional background) to have the NSA “immediately seize and begin looking for international comms related to Dominion.” Basically he was pushing the idea that China had hacked Dominion’s voting machines to make Biden the winner.

In other words, this is pure Giuliani/Sidney Powell Kracken nonsense. But here it’s a member of Congress advising the White House Chief of Staff. He was also convinced that it was “the Brits who helped quarterback this entire operation” and that then-CIA Director Gina Haspell was covering up for them. He insisted the Italians were also in on it.

You get the idea. Pretty insane stuff.
That's about half. The punchline is in the ending. It's worth your time unless you're easily depressed.
Yeah that's a big finish for sure:

But I still like to hope that general officers don’t participate in trying to overthrow the state, even post-retirement. Alas, this seems to be hoping for too much."

"

scotto

Post by scotto »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:21 am
phungi wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:47 am
scotto wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:42 pm
I like roundabouts. They ease the stop-start of traffic and reduce congestion. The problem with them has more to do with folks who either don't know how they work or suffer from me-first aggressive driving.
they are all over Colorado, and seem to work just fine... there used to be a bunch in S. Jersey, but other than one in Hilton Head Island, and perhaps one in Flemington NJ I do not recall even seeing one on the east coast over the past 10-15 years... makes perfect sense, given NE'erners are generally damn stupid and selfish!
I take it you haven't done much driving in Massachusetts.
I have actually. Not extensively, but have spent enough time in Cambridge and Boston that I'd be just fine never driving there again.
Interestingly, probably the most hair-raising driving I've done was in Spain, where kids on scooters act like they're in a video game with multiple lives and pay absolutely no attention to lights, signs, or heavier and faster vehicles as they swarm around cars like sandflies at the beach and the other drivers seem to all concede that the faster your vehicle, the more rules you can bend, but even there roundabouts and the traffic flow were orderly (more or less). And I'd be just fine never driving in Barcelona again, either.
I guess another problem with roundabouts, other than the dolts or assholes, are the urban planners who don't give appropriate thought to placement, size, etc. I drive through two a day in my little red town in a red Southern-wannabe state and they're fine and the other motorists are polite, bless their hearts.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:24 pm
I don't know much and I don't know the details of the proposed deal or Elon Musk's plans for twitter but I do know combining the wealthiest person in the world and one of the biggest and most powerful social media platforms in the world is a very, very bad idea.

It gives new, scary meaning to the old observation that freedom of the press means freedom for those who own the presses.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-co ... rc=bounceX

John A Arkansawyer

It just keeps getting worse:

Why Being Anti-Science Is Now Part Of Many Rural Americans’ Identity
And why that will make communication around the next crisis so much more challenging.

Motta released a paper earlier this month that shows about 10 percent of primary care physicians were uncertain about the safety and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines, despite abundant evidence that they have been extremely safe and effective. The vaccine-hesitant doctors shared many of the same characteristics as other vaccine skeptics: They were more likely to be rural and conservative. For rural areas especially, this data suggests a vicious feedback loop. People who were suspicious of the vaccines had doctors who were suspicious, too.
I think the article's larger argument is question-begging at best: If science-skepticism is now part of rural identity, why is that? What caused it? But it's still an informatively depressing read.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

"Before the pandemic, Matthew Motta, a political science professor at Oklahoma State University, and his colleagues Timothy Callaghan, Steven Sylvester, Kristin Lunz Trujillo and Christine Crudo Blackburn studied parents’ hesitancy about giving their kids routine vaccinations, like those for measles, mumps and rubella. Reasons varied, and the most prominent was conspiratorial thinking.1 Some parents who delayed their children’s vaccines also held strong ideas about moral/bodily purity, which often correlated with higher levels of religiosity. Evangelical Christians, people who distrusted scientists and other experts and people prone to believing in conspiracies were also among the groups finding a home in the Republican Party, too."

I'm confused. What do the last 13 words have to do w/ the rest of this paragraph?
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:02 pm
I think the article's larger argument is question-begging at best: If science-skepticism is now part of rural identity, why is that? What caused it?
Yes.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

In today's column, George Will makes an interesting proposal: We should adopt a constitutional amendment preventing active and former senators from becoming president. I doubt the idea is very practical and I'd have to give it more thought to decide whether it's a good idea, but what's interesting to me is what motivated his proposal: His disgust w/ what the Senate has become, i.e. a perch from which to gain notoriety and attention, a place to posture and most definitely not a place of one third of the power of the federal government or a place to debate and legislate the important issues of the day. I definitely think he's on to something w/ his diagnosis even if not his proposed treatment.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:50 am
"Before the pandemic, Matthew Motta, a political science professor at Oklahoma State University, and his colleagues Timothy Callaghan, Steven Sylvester, Kristin Lunz Trujillo and Christine Crudo Blackburn studied parents’ hesitancy about giving their kids routine vaccinations, like those for measles, mumps and rubella. Reasons varied, and the most prominent was conspiratorial thinking.1 Some parents who delayed their children’s vaccines also held strong ideas about moral/bodily purity, which often correlated with higher levels of religiosity. Evangelical Christians, people who distrusted scientists and other experts and people prone to believing in conspiracies were also among the groups finding a home in the Republican Party, too."

I'm confused. What do the last 13 words have to do w/ the rest of this paragraph?
I'm confused about which 13 words.
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:50 am
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:02 pm
I think the article's larger argument is question-begging at best: If science-skepticism is now part of rural identity, why is that? What caused it?
Yes.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:50 am
I'm not sure what's not clear about "the last 13 words" but here they are: "were also among the groups finding a home in the Republican Party, too."

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:58 am
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:50 am
I'm not sure what's not clear about "the last 13 words" but here they are: "were also among the groups finding a home in the Republican Party, too."
Maybe it's a way of saying that some of the worst parts of the modern Republican party are populated by Evangelical Christians, who IMO should be referred to as Christianists. They believe their religion should dictate politics and thus laws. They also have a sense of superiority, moral and otherwise, over those that don't share their beliefs. This makes it easy to justify more fringe/radical beliefs, like conspiracies, bunk "science" or belief that a guy that literally can't quote one passage from the bible is an instrument of God.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

pearlbeer wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:29 pm
belief that a guy that literally can't quote one passage from the bible is an instrument of God.
A lamb in wolf's clothing.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Prof. Heather Cox Richardson's post this morning (dated yesterday) on her Letters From an American blog re "illiberal democracy" and "soft fascism" is a tour de force. Get some.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... dium=email

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:05 am
Prof. Heather Cox Richardson's post this morning (dated yesterday) on her Letters From an American blog re "illiberal democracy" and "soft fascism" is a tour de force. Get some.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... dium=email
I believe HCR was Patterson's guest at the DBT show in Vermont this week. He frequently shares her messages on FB.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:45 am
I believe HCR was Patterson's guest at the DBT show in Vermont this week.
Correct. Unfortunately she was unable to make the Boston show. I had been hoping to meet her.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The only thing I know about international politics is how little I know about international politics. Nonetheless, I will take a stab at this one: The worse the Russian military does in Ukraine, the more support Ukraine receives from the West generally and the US in particular, the more it validates Putin's originally misconceived paranoia and leads the world closer to a cataclysmic disaster.

At this point, any conceivable outcome for Russia will leave it facing what it went into the war to avoid: A large Western military presence on its border. It doesn't have to be NATO, $30 Billion of military hardware is a lot of stuff and if Russia succeeds "only" in achieving a partial annexation of Ukraine or fails completely, those weapons and military capability ain't going nowhere. And the more money the US in particular pours into Ukraine and the more it proclaims shifting aims like reducing Russia's military might as opposed to just resisting the invasion, the closer this war comes to a "hot war" between Russia and the US. The more the West turns up the pressure on Russia by military and economic pressure, coupled w/ Ukraine's successes on the battlefield, the fewer options Russia has and in particular face saving options seem to be close to non-existent. And w/out face saving options, what's a poor bully w/ vast resources and no regard for human life to do? Escalate. While "escalation" doesn't necessarily or immediately mean going nuclear, it will definitely be several steps in that direction, from where the next, unthinkable, step becomes very thinkable.

Bottom line, I think we ought to be working a lot harder on those face saving measures and be a lot quieter and less threatening about achieving military aims beyond resisting the invasion. Keeping Vladimir Putin from a "nothing more to lose" position ought to be high on the list of US aims and policy right now. And circling back to my first comment, perhaps the US is feverishly working in that direction under the radar, but it doesn't look like it from where I'm sitting.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:32 am
Bottom line, I think we ought to be working a lot harder on those face saving measures and be a lot quieter and less threatening about achieving military aims beyond resisting the invasion. Keeping Vladimir Putin from a "nothing more to lose" position ought to be high on the list of US aims and policy right now. And circling back to my first comment, perhaps the US is feverishly working in that direction under the radar, but it doesn't look like it from where I'm sitting.
This makes perfect sense to me, but from the Biden point of view, why would you give up the only popular thing it seems you are able to achieve?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:27 am
beantownbubba wrote:
This makes perfect sense to me, but from the Biden point of view, why would you give up the only popular thing it seems you are able to achieve?
Good point. As you know, the politics of US foreign policy used to be a lot simpler and straightforward, dare I say even bipartisan. Now, of course, it's just another aspect of the sewer in which our politics is mired. I don't know how the Administration should "play" or "spin" a move in the direction I suggest and I acknowledge that there may be political risks in doing so.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:07 am
Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:27 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Good point. As you know, the politics of US foreign policy used to be a lot simpler and straightforward, dare I say even bipartisan. Now, of course, it's just another aspect of the sewer in which our politics is mired. I don't know how the Administration should "play" or "spin" a move in the direction I suggest and I acknowledge that there may be political risks in doing so.
From a WaPo newsletter. I have no idea how this all plays out in terms of either policy or messaging choices but I don't envy the Administration personnel who are supposed to figure all this out. It looks like the accompanying charts didn't copy but the numbers are pretty clear from the text.

Biden's Ukraine conundrum: Most Americans favor escalating the U.S. role in Ukraine, but they also fear the war will escalate
President Biden recently asked Congress to approve more funds to help Ukraine as it fights off the Russian invasion. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
President Biden recently asked Congress to approve more funds to help Ukraine as it fights off the Russian invasion. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

Most Americans favor escalating the U.S. role in the war in Ukraine. Most Americans also fear the war in Ukraine will escalate. And a very small (but deeply unsettling) number of Americans want direct military action against Russia — even if that might mean nuclear war.

These are some of the findings from a new Washington Post-ABC News poll that took the temperature of public opinion about the largest conflict in Europe since World War II and how President Biden has managed the two-month-old conflagration triggered by Russia.

In all, 14 percent of Americans say the United States is doing too much for Ukraine, 37 percent say too little, and 36 percent say Biden is doing the right amount. The president’s handling of the war gets a thumbs up from 42 percent, while 47 percent disapprove.

Biden’s numbers have gotten better than they were in February, when 33 percent approved of his handling of the conflict, 47 percent disapproved, and 20 percent expressed no opinion.

WE BOTH FAVOR AND FEAR ESCALATION, APPARENTLY
Healthy majorities of Americans support providing more military support to the government in Kyiv (55 percent), increasing retaliatory sanctions on Russia (67 percent) and providing more humanitarian aid to Ukraine (76 percent).

In a fairly dramatic shift over the past month, Biden has obliged those who support sending more potent weapons to Ukraine as well as stepping up training for Kyiv’s forces. He’s now pushing a $33 billion package of military and economic aid and talks in terms of long-term commitments.
“The cost of this fight is not cheap,” Biden said last week, “but caving to aggression is going to be more costly if we allow it to happen.” White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters “we need to be in this for the long term.”

More guns, more sanctions, more aid but: 66 percent of Americans worry economic sanctions on Russia will inflate food and energy prices in the United States.

About 8 in 10 worry the war could expand into other countries beyond Ukraine, that U.S. forces might get involved in the fighting, and that Russia might use nuclear weapons.

My colleagues Ashley Parker, Emily Guskin and Scott Clement note a slight partisan split here, with more Democrats concerned about this (86 percent) than Republicans (72 percent).

LET’S TALK ABOUT NUCLEAR WEAPONS
Twenty-one percent of Americans say they favor direct military action by the United States against Russian forces in Ukraine. Biden’s repeated warnings that such a confrontation might escalate to the point of triggering “World War III” have apparently not completely sunk in.

A little more than a fifth of Democrats and about the same proportion of Republicans favor direct military action. But the number of Americans who support that drops to 14 percent when they’re asked whether their position would change if such conflict could trigger nuclear war.

Sure, 72 percent oppose direct military confrontation with Russia. But 14 percent are apparently okay with courting nuclear annihilation!

HERE’S YOUR PARTISAN SPLIT
Biden’s numbers have improved over the past month, but partisanship still very much colors matters.

Among Democrats, 73 percent approve of his handling of the crisis, 21 percent disapprove and 6 percent have no opinion. Among Republicans, it’s 14 percent approval, 76 percent disapproval and 9 percent no opinion.

Who thinks the United States is doing too little for Ukraine? Twenty-nine percent of Democrats and 47 percent of Republicans. Who thinks the U.S. is doing too much? Ten percent of Democrats and 18 percent of Republicans. Just right? Fifty-one percent of Democrats, 22 percent of Republicans.
Ashley, Scott and Emily note: “Biden’s support of his handling of Ukraine and Russia has improved markedly with independents since February, when 30 percent approved.” It’s now 41 percent.

And, they reported: “The Post-ABC poll finds that age is a much greater source of division about U.S. involvement in Ukraine, with younger Americans less supportive of additional actions.”

“While 69 percent of those aged 65 and older support increasing military support, that drops to 54 percent among those aged 40-64 and 47 percent among adults younger than 40. Support for increasing military support is particularly low among younger adults who identify or lean Republican: 38 percent support boosting military support to Ukraine, while 52 percent are opposed.”

The Post-ABC poll was conducted April 24-28 among a random national sample of 1,004 adults, reached on cellphones and landlines. The margin of error is plus or minus 3.5 percentage points for overall results and is larger for subgroups. newsletter.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:46 pm

HERE’S YOUR PARTISAN SPLIT
Biden’s numbers have improved over the past month, but partisanship still very much colors matters.

Among Democrats, 73 percent approve of his handling of the crisis, 21 percent disapprove and 6 percent have no opinion. Among Republicans, it’s 14 percent approval, 76 percent disapproval and 9 percent no opinion.

I think you could insert literally ANY WORDS into the above survey and get about the same partisan results.

John A Arkansawyer

Settled law, my ass.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I think the Republicans want to breed more serfs & cannon fodder for the corporate oligarchy.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Abortion as a hot button political issue is not going away anytime soon no matter what the Court decides. As I think I've said before, I think that if the Court does rule in the way the current draft indicates, it will end up biting conservatives/Republicans in the ass because it is probably the most galvanizing issue on the left and if fully galvanized, the response will make the right to choose more secure but may also affect other issues that are not obviously connected to abortion.

It already seemed inevitable that the Court was going to overrule Roe and Casey. The leak confirms that subject to it not being final 'til it's final and eliminates the guessing/concern that the Court would do so in the most far-reaching way possible. All of that has been on the table at least since December, really since Barrett's confirmation and effectively since Gorsuch's confirmation. What was completely unexpected was the leaking of the draft opinion which is unprecedented, shocking and about as significant a blow to the Court's functioning, legitimacy and standing as one can imagine. This is really bad, totally apart from the substance of the decision. And when I say "shocking" I mean that literally, not in the usual social media exaggerated, knee jerk sense. This is truly unbelievable and imho will prove disastrous.

Between the leak itself and all we are going to see and hear to remind us that certain nominees for the Court said under oath that Roe was "settled law," the Supreme Court and the Constitutional system of checks and balances through three equal branches of government is done for. What will replace it is anybody's guess. We are now truly in an era of radical politics where the only certainty is that the law of unintended consequences will prevail and a lot of people all along the spectrum are going to regret what they wished for.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Tue May 03, 2022 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh, only as a sad, cynical footnote, I wonder what Susan Collins will have to say.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:29 am
Abortion as a hot button political issue is not going away anytime soon no matter what the Court decides. As I think I've said before, I think that if the Court does rule in the way the current draft indicates, it will end up biting conservatives/Republicans in the ass because it is probably the most galvanizing issue on the left and if fully galvanized, the response will make the right to choose more secure but may also affect other issues that are not obviously connected to abortion.

It already seemed inevitable that the Court was going to overrule Roe and Casey. The leak confirms that subject to it not being final 'til it's final and eliminates the guessing/concern that the Court would do so in the most far-reaching way possible. All of that has been on the table at least since December, really since Barrett's confirmation and effectively since Gorsuch's confirmation. What was completely unexpected was the leaking of the draft opinion which is unprecedented, shocking and about as significant a blow to the Court's functioning, legitimacy and standing as one can imagine. This is really bad, totally apart from the substance of the decision. And when I say "shocking" I mean that literally, not in the usual social media exaggerated, knee jerk sense. This is truly unbelievable and imho will prove disastrous.

Between the leak itself and all we are going to see and hear to remind us that certain nominees for the Court said under oath that Roe was "settled law," the Supreme Court and the Constitutional system of checks and balances through three equal branches of government is done for. What will replace it is anybody's guess. We are now truly in an era of radical politics where the only certainty is that the law of unintended consequences will prevail and a lot of people all along the spectrum are going to regret what they wished for.
Settled law + supported by the majority of the population.

The intent here is to deliver minority rule by white christians.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Gilead comes to life.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:30 am
Oh, only as a sad, cynical footnote, I wonder what Susan Collins will have to say.
Pick a square. Any square.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM