The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:11 pm
I think these are a remarkable 2 sentences. Your mention of the evolution of the meaning of the word "literally" caught my eye because that's pretty high on my pet peeve list. But I don't see how the process by which that is happening/has happened is the same as the process by which the words racist and racism are misused.* FWIW I think it weakens your argument about the latter to compare it to the former because imho it removes the very political context which is really at the heart of your concern about how the terms "racist" and "racism" are thrown around.
That political context is awfully hard to stay inside. I myself think it's not a good development that we use the same word, racism, for systemic problems and individual bigotry. That turns an analytic category into an insult when used (as it most commonly is) outside that political context.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

As to the racism question (re: China), I definitely think there are people who make that accusation without it being warranted. Criticizing the machinations of the Chinese government is not racist. Saying that you disagree with their stances on Taiwan and Hong Kong isn’t racist.

Calling Covid “Kung Flu” is probably racist.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:44 pm
As to the racism question (re: China), I definitely think there are people who make that accusation without it being warranted. Criticizing the machinations of the Chinese government is not racist. Saying that you disagree with their stances on Taiwan and Hong Kong isn’t racist.

Calling Covid “Kung Flu” is probably racist.

To me it the danger in banning people from social media for what they claim to be racist, like the virus came from china, and mere months ago you got banned for saying it. then it turned out to be true. Now youve watered down what was an extremely powerful word, you moved your own cause backwards too, if you will. Now even racists can go aw fuck you, you say everything is racist!!! And they arent wrong. Bad deal.

greg glassman,, founder of crossfit, called the pandemic "floyd 19" he swiftly got cancelled, rightfully so, obviously, he had to sell crossfit to hopefully disappear forever. And he was the face of MAGA. I knew he was a sleezy fuck long before last year.
Kung flu? Ive heard that before but i literally cracked up when i saw it typed out. Mustve been zips delivery.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

LBRod wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:27 pm
"The pain is completely buried under jargon"

I will probably never forget that line. It Lends credibility to the notion that truth hurts, lies destroy. Carlin. Of course carlin.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:10 pm
LBRod wrote:

I will probably never forget that line. It Lends credibility to the notion that truth hurts, lies destroy. Carlin. Of course carlin.

https://www.youtube.com/

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:16 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:10 pm
LBRod wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_gLLZ_D1Lqw

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Have not seen the carlin video about germs in a year or so.
It felt harsh to listen to just now.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Imagine what he'd have to say about giving up mother for "birthing person."

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I thought Dave Chappelle's monologue on SNL last November was one of the great humanistic statements of the new millennium:

About halfway through, he says this:
[Trump] called the coronavirus the ‘kung flu.’ I said ‘You racist, hilarious son of a bitch.’ I’m supposed to say that, not you. It’s wrong when you say it.
Dying is easy; comedy is hard.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

LBRod wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:29 pm
Imagine what he'd have to say about giving up mother for "birthing person."

Oof. My all time fave might be trying to convert eskimos ( i doubt eskimo is pc to say), if you tell an eskimo that hell is hot, thats just poor marketing. Ya gotta flip the narrative 180. Its for their safety. Loose your natty ways or you risk freezing in hell for eternity. Dont want that after breaking ice on the north slope for decades in real life.

Its a classic tactic as old as snakes. History seemingly been repeating itself since the beginning of tales. So psychologically speaking, it might help explain the raised eyeybrow people have on their face while being told they need to do alter their lives......for their own good. That distrust stems from roots, for a lot of people.

Having said all that, i trust a lot of people. Most people i know. Certainly almost everone i associate with on any consequential level. That healthy to me. And i enjoy it. people i trust are family to me. If you erode my trust because you keep bs ing me, you arent family anymore. Community seems more important than ever in this mess.
Would be surprised if anyone disagrees w that (for a change)

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:48 pm
I thought Dave Chappelle's monologue on SNL last November was one of the great humanistic statements of the new millennium:

About halfway through, he says this:
[Trump] called the coronavirus the ‘kung flu.’ I said ‘You racist, hilarious son of a bitch.’ I’m supposed to say that, not you. It’s wrong when you say it.
Dying is easy; comedy is hard.

Nice. Paralell thinking with Clayton Bixby, the black white supremacist himself.
That whole video is gold.

And him mentioning the mask he has worn his whole life by way of never telling the truth , without a punch line behind it. Daaaaamn.
Man,
chapelle and carlin. Gotta listen to a joke to hear the truth these days. These days?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:18 pm
Sometimes I wonder whether Haiti should just give up - send its people to various places around the world and just shut the lights. No, I am not seriously suggesting that, but damn, it's a never ending mountain of troubles there.
this was a good episode on Haiti:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/408/transcript

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:50 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:18 pm
Sometimes I wonder whether Haiti should just give up - send its people to various places around the world and just shut the lights. No, I am not seriously suggesting that, but damn, it's a never ending mountain of troubles there.
this was a good episode on Haiti:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/408/transcript
Just read the first part of the transcript. Not sure I can handle the whole podcast. But thanks.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Whoops. That pesky submit button.
Last edited by beantownbubba on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I feel like we ought to say something about Afghanistan but danged if I know what. I do know that pretty much everything we read or hear about the events there in the near future will be at best incomplete or more likely misleading or just plain wrong. But instant analysis is its own industry I guess. One thing we can say is that it's clear why neither Obama nor Trump ever followed through on their promises to withdraw. No politician who cares about his personal political future could risk the inevitable outcome. I wonder whether Biden will become known as "the guy who lost Afghanistan" or "the only guy who had the guts to do what needed to be done."

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:08 am
I feel like we ought to say something about Afghanistan but danged if I know what. I do know that pretty much everything we read or hear about the events there in the near future will be at best incomplete or more likely misleading or just plain wrong. But instant analysis is its own industry I guess. One thing we can say is that it's clear why neither Obama nor Trump ever followed through on their promises to withdraw. No politician who cares about his personal political future could risk the inevitable outcome. I wonder whether Biden will become known as "the guy who lost Afghanistan" or "the only guy who had the guts to do what needed to be done."
Depends on who you ask. All of history tells us this ending was inevitable.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

LBRod wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:39 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:08 am
Depends on who you ask. All of history tells us this ending was inevitable.

History repeats itself. Thats all it ever does.

Also, "historys an etch o sketch, facts and figures are dominoes." Bloodking, watch the war on tv

My first cousin, 7 yrs older than me, was in special forces. Air Force combat control. So ive been hearing his stories from literally behind enemy lines since desert storm.
He was in baghdad in civilian clothes when the decider decided. He tells tales of evidence of womds that he saw, unfortunately for my man, he is known in every circle to be the best story teller of all time. The shit we would get into on the ranch when folks were gone, was outdone by his brilliant story about how a dragon breathed on the house and thats why its burned down. Damn. A dragon. He was cool as fuck though. Still is. Just pointing out that its tough to know whats actually going on, even when somone i know from the front is saying "trust me".
And speaking of "clever eye candy graphics" my cousin also often does video shoots for military recruitment, decked out in his gear, looking like the super hero he is. Often jumping out of planes into football stadiums with the game ball before the national anthem, also designed for military recruitment, i think.

But, he finally got out of military alive somehow. We celebrated with a trip to mexico to see DBT. I think its the most culture hez ever gotten despite world travel.a

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I love both Carlin and Chapelle. If Carlin were to come along today he’d be “cancelled”. I’m totally against this childish notion of cancelling people. So much is wrong with it but I’ll hit the high points or low points and just say that it makes redemption impossible, it puts people in the position of thinking they get to decide who gets to be treated as a human and who doesn’t, it will ultimately devour those who are pushing it and will come for them, and last, it flies in the face of something Chapelle said not long ago that I love. Im not throwing a whole person away based on politics. Things are becoming so ridiculous that Chapelle seems conservative by comparison to the crazy wokesters. And people aren’t going to put up with this. It’s like there’s this idea that an entire half of the country or more will just submit. That’s not going to happen. It will just fragment things more.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

As for Afghanistan, I don’t even want to think about it very much right now. I don’t put this on Biden or any President really. I put it on the same knuckleheads that have been in Washington giving every president bad advice from W up to Biden. And they’ll get away with it too. Lots of lost lives, mangled bodies, tortured minds, and ruined marriages and these people will sit comfortably somewhere in Washington and sleep like babies at night. And I despise them.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:37 pm
As for Afghanistan, I don’t even want to think about it very much right now. I don’t put this on Biden or any President really. I put it on the same knuckleheads that have been in Washington giving every president bad advice from W up to Biden. And they’ll get away with it too. Lots of lost lives, mangled bodies, tortured minds, and ruined marriages and these people will sit comfortably somewhere in Washington and sleep like babies at night. And I despise them.
Amen.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:22 pm
I love both Carlin and Chapelle. If Carlin were to come along today he’d be “cancelled”. I’m totally against this childish notion of cancelling people. So much is wrong with it but I’ll hit the high points or low points and just say that it makes redemption impossible, it puts people in the position of thinking they get to decide who gets to be treated as a human and who doesn’t, it will ultimately devour those who are pushing it and will come for them, and last, it flies in the face of something Chapelle said not long ago that I love. Im not throwing a whole person away based on politics. Things are becoming so ridiculous that Chapelle seems conservative by comparison to the crazy wokesters. And people aren’t going to put up with this. It’s like there’s this idea that an entire half of the country or more will just submit. That’s not going to happen. It will just fragment things more.

The chapelle netflix Sticks and Stones, is exhibit A of how the media wants to control narrative, but has lost its grip.
The early critic reviews were lambasting it for offensive it was etc, got shitty reviews basically. But man did the people ever feel differently, i think it gets a 98% approval rating from the public. Nice try experts!

Same with polling. They want you to believe hilary or biden is winnning so bad so they skew the numbers, nobody wants to vote for the loser anyways. Classic tactic.
Either columbia or mexico rigged an entire election that way, by controlling the scoreboard on vote counts, bought and paid for by columbian or mexican drug cartels, they portrayed the whole thing in Narcos too. (Oh sorry i didnt mean to say mexican drug cartel, i meant to say, um, those gender and racial fluid humans which operate in the US, canada, and mexico, and are products of job alternative depravation, and occassionally financially benefit from how awesome drugs are.)
So literal destinies of nations get determined by who controls the numbers, literally, controls the numbers.

So then thats when it stops being about actual safety of people. No? Keep touting infection rates. Ok? Its a fear tactic. Is it working? Why are death rates hard to find? Why are their not more delineations between ages, or regional differences? Those numbers would help people make decisions.
Or instead of perpetually calling florida and Texas neandrathal, oh yeah other parts of the world have proven so brilliant,, how bout acknowledge spikes are due to hot weather so everyone clamors inside for ac. What good would that do? Might remind someome that confined animals develop respiratory problems, speaking of history, thats as simple as science gets, so deny science and history at your risk.
Then that might spark a whole train of group thought going into this winter where cold climates will spike.......those neandrathals? No. How bout evryone, all together, get some damn fresh air, you dont even have to risk leaving the house, just, please, crack a window. Its easier than putting on a mask. It seems many are averse to actually breathing fresh air. Thats weird.
Imagine if Biden or Pfauci or Isbell, or, anyone besides joe rogan, started touting going outside and getting fresh air. How bout Oprah? She got any pull beyond books and daytime stagnation? How bout med pros? They know damn good and well what low vitamin d levels do to people, and they know that out of whack hormones equals, compromisde immune. So how bout it?
Its rhetorical. Not gonna happen.
Tens of millions are seeing through all the most recent attempts at narrative control........simultaneously trying to fool people while also calling them neandrathal is, um, well its just not working.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Cole Younger wrote:

What are your thoughts on Tulsi Gabbard ? Just curious.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... mmuno.html

Now they are mentioning actual immune systems? They sure havent been doing this the whole time. Why? Why now? Oh because if your immune system is compromised then you should be getting your booster? Then what? Now what? Another? Then what? Another?
Nobody in any medical or science field with any merit will argue that perpetual boosters are good for your immune system. The opposite. They inhibit your system to work on its own, more so over time, its the literal defenition of marginal returns, even worse, negative returns are inevitible.
The exact same thing happens immediately if you take exogenous testosterone, your body literally stops producing it naturally. Most users know that, if not, youre in for it when you stop, and realize now you need to re start your own system again. Possible? hell yes it is.
Same with your immune sytem. Like carlin says, it needs exercise, take it ftom a joker.

So whats the answer? I dont know but there is plenty of history and real time examples to show how to kickstart and maintain strong immunity. Kill me for mentioning compost again, or stick your hands in some, instead of washing them. Create a non sterile environment of fresh air. People literally putting compost trays down inside their front doors, so when you walk in your house, you step in it and re fresh the air in your house with germs. There are more living organisms in a hand full of living soil matter than people on the planet, i think. Fill the air with them and crack a window, stop sanitizing. Resist the clorox wipe movement. If you think this is kooky talk, it is, depending on your perspective. I doubt Hitler would agree, he had zero tolerance for disgustingness, bathed 5 times a day, and was the man of the year in 1938. I cant live up to any of that. In fact, its part of the reason ive completely embraced disgustingness, literally because hitler hated it.
He wouldve been in favor of confinement animal facilities and anti biotic use to follow. Gauranteed. He probably has no clue that pigs are actually clean in nature. Stick em in a pen and they are controllable and require medicine. Fucker new nothing of nature and wanted everything sanitized. Just like Biden. Just like pfauci.

So why not get vaxxed if you want, then take your own reigns to your own body. Thats my uneducated guess on how to move forward. Perpetual boosters? That seems lethal, Like you are just unnecrssarily inviting other co morbities to slowly appear over time, just for a "booster" at some point it aint boosting shit, i dont think you need to an expert to surmise that.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Immunocompromised. Hot new buzz word. Fair enough.
But, why? Why cdc? The center for disease control (hilarious) is saying that now? Are they listing reasons why? Why is my immune system compromised? Seems like a fair question to ask those in charge of controlling disease,..
They arent going to tell me are they? Why? They dont know? Do the disease experts not know what constitutes a STRONG immune system? Anyone ever say those words together?
This just in from the cdc....."how to avoid disease by boosting your immune system without perpetual booster shots!!!!" Yeah right. Even though they know exactly how. They just aint sayin. Would be nice though, might even help some people. Who wants to help? No one. But everone wants to sell you something or be a hero or take credit or lay their passing blame, or play word games.
Complex solution ideas are just blasphemy to the "just do what i say for your safety" crowd.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:07 pm
Cole Younger wrote:

What are your thoughts on Tulsi Gabbard ? Just curious.
I like her. I don’t know if I could vote for her but if she ended up getting the nomination (I know, I know, it’s my post and I can dream) for the Democrats I would be a long way from upset.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:31 pm
Immunocompromised. Hot new buzz word. Fair enough.
But, why? Why cdc? The center for disease control (hilarious) is saying that now? Are they listing reasons why? Why is my immune system compromised? Seems like a fair question to ask those in charge of controlling disease,..
They arent going to tell me are they? Why? They dont know? Do the disease experts not know what constitutes a STRONG immune system? Anyone ever say those words together?
This just in from the cdc....."how to avoid disease by boosting your immune system without perpetual booster shots!!!!" Yeah right. Even though they know exactly how. They just aint sayin. Would be nice though, might even help some people. Who wants to help? No one. But everone wants to sell you something or be a hero or take credit or lay their passing blame, or play word games.
Complex solution ideas are just blasphemy to the "just do what i say for your safety" crowd.
They have done this to themselves as far as people not trusting them. When they decided to play politics with science and then lie and then lie about lying they ceded any right they had to indignation or expectation about people trusting them.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:28 pm
Immunocompromised
"Immunocompromised" is a large category which includes, among others, people who are undergoing or who have undergone chemotherapy and or radiation therapy, people with transplanted organs, people who have had various kinds of therapies involving blood swapping and people who have a variety of congenital conditions.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:05 pm
Imagine if Biden or Pfauci or Isbell, or, anyone besides joe rogan, started touting going outside and getting fresh air. How bout Oprah?
I'm really surprised by this. You have, of course, mentioned the benefits of being outside, getting fresh air and exercising a number of times and that seemed (and seems) entirely unobjectionable and uncontroversial to me. But that seems a little different from what you're saying now. Are you suggesting that this is not a widely accepted understanding among people generally and not widely disseminated advice from health professionals? I'm not arguing the point, I'm asking because if so this would be counter to my experience and I would be both shocked and quite discombobulated if the world has changed that much without me knowing. It's not quite "no, the sun rises in the west" territory but it's not that far either.

I spent my kids' entire childhood booting their asses outside to get fresh air and exercise and even more often suggesting/pleading that they do so. I learned it from my parents, from whom I heard that what seems like every day of my life until I moved out and my parents are/were the children of immigrants who grew up in the ghetto yet they learned it from their parents who were immigrants who grew up in the old country, old style ghetto, the ones without plumbing and with mud and horseshit for sidewalks and streets. And I'm sure they heard it from their parents going back at least as far as the time when my ancestors moved from farms to more urban locations and occupations. Additionally, at least since my parents' time, we've all heard it from doctors and other healthcare providers on a somewhat regular basis. So if that's no longer standard advice or standard practice that's a real change to the world I thought I knew.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:19 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:05 pm
Imagine if Biden or Pfauci or Isbell, or, anyone besides joe rogan, started touting going outside and getting fresh air. How bout Oprah?
I'm really surprised by this. You have, of course, mentioned the benefits of being outside, getting fresh air and exercising a number of times and that seemed (and seems) entirely unobjectionable and uncontroversial to me. But that seems a little different from what you're saying now. Are you suggesting that this is not a widely accepted understanding among people generally and not widely disseminated advice from health professionals? I'm not arguing the point, I'm asking because if so this would be counter to my experience and I would be both shocked and quite discombobulated if the world has changed that much without me knowing. It's not quite "no, the sun rises in the west" territory but it's not that far either.

I spent my kids' entire childhood booting their asses outside to get fresh air and exercise and even more often suggesting/pleading that they do so. I learned it from my parents, from whom I heard that what seems like every day of my life until I moved out and my parents are/were the children of immigrants who grew up in the ghetto yet they learned it from their parents who were immigrants who grew up in the old country, old style ghetto, the ones without plumbing and with mud and horseshit for sidewalks and streets. And I'm sure they heard it from their parents going back at least as far as the time when my ancestors moved from farms to more urban locations and occupations. Additionally, at least since my parents' time, we've all heard it from doctors and other healthcare providers on a somewhat regular basis. So if that's no longer standard advice or standard practice that's a real change to the world I thought I knew.