The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

Inspired by the convo in the baseball thread, here's a snippet from Paul Krugman's newsletter that is apropos. I think the excerpt stands on its own but let me know if anything's not clear. The referenced chart doesn't add anything to what he says about it here.

"But despite what looks like prosperity, population growth in the formerly dynamic state {California} has stalled. Why?

"Well, it turns out not to be affluent, highly educated residents fleeing those “job-killing taxes.” People like that are still moving in. Instead, lower-income and lower-education residents are leaving, probably because housing is so unaffordable.

"It didn’t have to be that way. Texas has a rapidly growing population, the way California used to. But as the chart above shows, Texas housing prices haven’t risen much at all in real terms. And the reason is obvious: Texas doesn’t have California-type restrictions that effectively prevent the construction of much new housing. And that, um, liberal housing policy, not low taxes, is the big explanation of Texas’s relative success.

"Which brings me to the bottom line here. What California’s example shows is that tax rates on the rich have much less adverse effect on incentives than conservatives would like you to believe. But while blue states can do fine while raising money from the rich, they do a lot of harm by preventing the construction of new housing for ordinary people."

There is a real housing crisis in this country and it's getting worse. Nothing as complex as the housing market across different regions has a single simple explanation but it ought to be clear that recent and current housing (and transportation!) policies have been counter-productive despite the best intentions. It's also pretty weird to me that housing prices continue to climb even though the baby boomers are moving on and moving out and the generations behind the boomers clamoring for that housing are much smaller. Something is wrong w/ this picture.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i decided to dip my toe in the housing market and it's goddamn sobering.

tinnitus photography

also, our state government has their head up their ass so far they are choking on polyps:
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/safet ... nce-venues

10' of separation for band members, but gyms can be 6 feet? has anyone who helped write this ever seen the stages at places like The Sinclair or The Middle East?

Looks like solo performers and possibly duos would be ok. the rest are screwed.

also, Suffolk Country (where Boston resides) had 25 cases reported yesterday. Middlesex (Cambridge, and north up to NH) had 23. Over 40% of the population in MA is fully vaccinated (2nd highest in the country after CT).

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:03 am
also, our state government has their head up their ass so far they are choking on polyps:
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/safet ... nce-venues

10' of separation for band members, but gyms can be 6 feet? has anyone who helped write this ever seen the stages at places like The Sinclair or The Middle East?

Looks like solo performers and possibly duos would be ok. the rest are screwed.

also, Suffolk Country (where Boston resides) had 25 cases reported yesterday. Middlesex (Cambridge, and north up to NH) had 23. Over 40% of the population in MA is fully vaccinated (2nd highest in the country after CT).
Singing projects particles much farther than 6 feet, which is where the issues lie. Broadway is reopening in September, so they seemed to have figured it out (perhaps by mandating vaccines for all cast and crew??)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Here in San Miguel County we’ve had zero COVID deaths. Zero. Even after an influx of tens of thousands of tourists in the last year. Yet Tellurude remains the most restrictive towns I know about.
And you’re likely to catch a trophy tale wife around here spewing something like...”can you believe those dummies down in Montrose are socializing and not masking up?”
Actually yes I can sweetheart, they’re busy growing your sweet potatoes and kale to power your yoga and ski turns. But if it makes you feel smarter and more informed, vilify those that produce for you who need to get on with their lives. Or actually never shut their lives down.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 9:27 am
Here in San Miguel County we’ve had zero COVID deaths. Zero. Even after an influx of tens of thousands of tourists in the last year. Yet Tellurude remains the most restrictive towns I know about.
And you’re likely to catch a trophy tale wife around here spewing something like...”can you believe those dummies down in Montrose are socializing and not masking up?”
Actually yes I can sweetheart, they’re busy growing your sweet potatoes and kale to power your yoga and ski turns. But if it makes you feel smarter and more informed, vilify those that produce for you who need to get on with their lives. Or actually never shut their lives down.
Question: Is your take "we've had zero deaths, so mask mandates have been unnecessary"? or "Our mask mandate has prevented COVID deaths in my community"?

tinnitus photography

boyyourself wrote:
are you conflating outdoor farming to indoor gatherings?

(and maybe I should drink a sweet potato/kale smoothie before my next POW day)

((ps - what's a trophy tale wife?))

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Fair question. Though we had mask mandates plenty of people socialized. And travelled all over the world and back, and we let in tourists the entire time.
I’m saying there are zero deaths here because most people are healthy. Plenty of Covid cases. We were one of the top counties of infection rates in the country for awhile. Yet zero deaths.
How did we have so many infections even though all the restrictions were on order?
And why after zero deaths are people in a town like this really scared compared to rural areas?
It just cracks me up to here affluent coastal that have made it to well to do telluride literally look down there noses at how people live just 60 miles away.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Wed May 12, 2021 10:59 am
boyyourself wrote:

A trophy tail is someone who takes a boner pill rude for the price of a happy meal

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

boyyourself wrote:

I’m saying that there were tons of indoor gatherings here despite all the warnings against. No one here can say that we have zero deaths because we were strict about not socializing. Not even close. Well you could say it, but you’d sound like an idiot because it wouldn’t be true.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I have my farm rented out to Mennonites and was just out there and talking to my neighbors, who said they asked my tenants why they weren’t scared of COVID.....”because we don’t have Tv”.
Was the reply.
My tenants are a 70 year old couple that run a lawn care business and get around like they’re 25. That seems like better living than staring at a screen until you’re programmed to not leave the house.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

The White House is now partnering with McDonald’s to promote the COVID vaccine on its coffee cups. I’m guess since the vaccine is going to be brilliantly marketed as a yearly booster, this partnership will be ongoing.
So instead of promoting good health and well being, we are going with McDonald’s and pharmaceuticals?
Thats McDonald’s, who uses feedlot beef fattened out with subsidized grain——-an ecological disaster to say the least.
And I wonder what Biden’s green new deal has to say about single use coffee cups or mono cropping potatoes for a trillion fries, or the how much fossil fuel is required process all that sugar into soda and have that be shipped all over the country? Or feedlot beef? And who really gives a shit about all the garbage that’s been created during this debacle?
Partnering with McDonald’s. That’s gonna save us all.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:59 am
The White House is now partnering with McDonald’s to promote the COVID vaccine on its coffee cups. I’m guess since the vaccine is going to be brilliantly marketed as a yearly booster, this partnership will be ongoing.
So instead of promoting good health and well being, we are going with McDonald’s and pharmaceuticals?
Thats McDonald’s, who uses feedlot beef fattened out with subsidized grain——-an ecological disaster to say the least.
And I wonder what Biden’s green new deal has to say about single use coffee cups or mono cropping potatoes for a trillion fries, or the how much fossil fuel is required process all that sugar into soda and have that be shipped all over the country? Or feedlot beef? And who really gives a shit about all the garbage that’s been created during this debacle?
Those are some pretty big consequences for temporarily printing words on a cup. We might see disasters equivalent of the period when Starbucks changes over to Christmas themed cups. Dark days ahead.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
When asked why he robbed banks, infamous outlaw Willie Sutton said, "because that's where the money is."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 am
How did we have so many infections even though all the restrictions were on order?
boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:12 am
I’m saying that there were tons of indoor gatherings here despite all the warnings against. No one here can say that we have zero deaths because we were strict about not socializing. Not even close. Well you could say it, but you’d sound like an idiot because it wouldn’t be true.
I think I understand the distinction you're drawing between infections and deaths, but I still don't get how "even though the restrictions were on order" meshes with "No one here can say that we have zero deaths because we were strict about not socializing. Not even close."

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:30 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Those are some pretty big consequences for temporarily printing words on a cup. We might see disasters equivalent of the period when Starbucks changes over to Christmas themed cups. Dark days ahead.

We shall start actually caring about the health of the climate and or the people when it’s convenient, because convenience based decision making is the way to go when it comes to these things.
Until then it’s single use packaging and pharmaceuticals?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:10 am
boyyourself wrote:

A trophy tail is someone who takes a boner pill rude for the price of a happy meal
Come on, tin. Get w/ the program. Next thing we know you'll be asking where lookout mountain is or, heaven forbid, calling what you're wearing an outfit

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:55 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 am
boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 11:12 am
I think I understand the distinction you're drawing between infections and deaths, but I still don't get how "even though the restrictions were on order" meshes with "No one here can say that we have zero deaths because we were strict about not socializing. Not even close."
I’m trying to say that even with all the restrictions, we still had a bunch of infections because there was still a ton of socializing going on. Tons of visitors and of locals traveling internationally and back.
Even though lots of people got it here, including most everyone I know, hardly anyone was more than mildly affected.
So why would a place like this remain super stringent?
We are thankfully having bluegrass festival here this summer but the rules and regulations are beyond absurd. And if it’s science based I guess I just don’t understand the science.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:59 pm
boyyourself wrote:

Come on, tin. Get w/ the program. Next thing we know you'll be asking where lookout mountain is or, heaven forbid, calling what you're wearing an outfit

Sorry I’m not a slick keyboarder like you bubba
I’ll try harder for steel

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
boyyourself wrote:

Y’all gettin personal in the middle of a perfectly fine discussion used to piss me off but now it cracks me up. I call that evolution on a budget. How’s that Bubba

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:57 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:30 pm
boyyourself wrote:

We shall start actually caring about the health of the climate and or the people when it’s convenient, because convenience based decision making is the way to go when it comes to these things.
Until then it’s single use packaging and pharmaceuticals?
I'm not a fan of McDonalds. IMO it is not really "food". I also advocate for more sustainable packaging across the board. Less plastic. I believe we need to invest and prioritize in our climate because our current way of life isn't sustainable.

However, these issues are not fundamentally affected by printing some words on a cup.

tinnitus photography

beantownbubba wrote:
boyyourself wrote:

take it easy on me... i am now trying to process what a 'boner pill rude' is!

also, people have lost their fucking minds:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nnwg/ ... vaccinated

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Wed May 12, 2021 1:46 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
boyyourself wrote:

also, people have lost their fucking minds:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88nnwg/ ... vaccinated
Haha! "I need freedom from my freedom!!!"

These are likely the same folks that would say, "keep your socialist hands off my medicare!"

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

boyyourself wrote:
You live in my favorite part of the contiguous states. The western Rockies blow away the eastern ranges. Never been there in winter, but anything between Glenwood Springs and Durango is fantastic in the summer. Personal favorite is Kebler Pass.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:16 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:14 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

Y’all gettin personal in the middle of a perfectly fine discussion used to piss me off but now it cracks me up. I call that evolution on a budget. How’s that Bubba
I was needling tinnitus, not you, and anyway it was typical giving someone shit for not being totally up on their dbt lyrics on a dbt fan site, not getting personal towards anyone. Among many other faux pas over the years I once congratulated littlemamma for some clever poetry which turned out to be a quote from "women without whiskey" and credited a Van Halen song to Kiss. The shit I caught for each mistake was totally appropriate. It was that way before the internet, it is still that way, I suspect it will always be that way and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I don't even know what "I'll try harder for steel" means.

As I said, I wasn't being personal in any way, shape or form and don't really get why you thought I was, but coming where I understand you to be coming from that "evolution on a budget" line is pretty good.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

If the venn diagram between the people who aren't getting vaccinated and the people who eat a lot of mcdonalds has a lot of overlap, I don't see the problem. Put the message where it needs to be seen most.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

A boner lasting more than four hours.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:13 pm
Haha! "I need freedom from my freedom!!!"
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:13 pm
i haven't reached four hours yet, but when i do (and i will) I'll be sure to whisper it to the 3DD FFL

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:13 pm
i haven't reached four hours yet, but when i do (and i will) I'll be sure to whisper it to the 3DD FFL
Finally something to look forward to. 🤪
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.