The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:To misquote Mark Twain, "Suppose you were a thug, and suppose you were a Republican member of Congress--but I repeat myself."

(it's audio over a picture of Gianforte)

A crew from Fox News at the scene not only refutes Gianforte’s version of events, but gives greater detail on what appears to have been an even more violent exchange than reporter Ben Jacobs first described. Fox News reporter Alicia Acuna, who was preparing for an interview with Gianforte on Special Report with Bret Baier, writes that she and her crew were chatting with the GOP candidate before the interview was set to begin when Ben Jacobs approached.
Fox News reporter Alicia Acuna wrote:During that conversation, another man — who we now know is Ben Jacobs of The Guardian — walked into the room with a voice recorder, put it up to Gianforte's face and began asking if him if he had a response to the newly released Congressional Budget Office report on the American Health Care Act. Gianforte told him he would get to him later. Jacobs persisted with his question. Gianforte told him to talk to his press guy, Shane Scanlon. At that point, Gianforte grabbed Jacobs by the neck with both hands and slammed him into the ground behind him. Faith, Keith and I watched in disbelief as Gianforte then began punching the man, as he moved on top the reporter and began yelling something to the effect of "I'm sick and tired of this!"
Last month Ben Jacobs wrote about Gianforte's connection to Russian companies sanctioned by the U.S. government. Surely this must be a mere coincidence
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The Rise of the Liberal Conspiracy Theorist
Louise Mensch’s loony Trump fantasies fill a craving the left didn’t know it had.

Mensch is the paranoid bard of the age of Trump. While more sober outlets reel from the president’s madness and question whether the sky is blue, she deftly weaves plentiful, narcotic tales about Russian infiltration. She has become a new stock character in this shambolic White House opera: the liberal conspiracy theorist, remaking a certain corner of progressive discourse in the image of Breitbart News and Infowars. She is a mirror for the left’s Hitchcockian fantasies and an avatar of our political dysfunction, a symbol of how far off the deep end one has to travel to reach a land beyond believability. According to the Post, Russian propaganda may have beguiled James Comey into bungling the FBI’s probe of Hillary Clinton’s private email server. If this is the reality of 2017, then where is the fringe? It’s a place where Anthony Weiner is a Russian operative, and where Vladimir Putin pulls the strings of Black Lives Matter.
It's hard to be sane right now. I'm pretty sure following a right-wing nutcase down the rabbit hole of bullshit isn't the way to do it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

The ass-cans here in the Texas Legislature really have their priorities in order. We were unable to fund public schools before the session closed, but we WERE able to ensure that the good people of Texas can shoot at pigs from hot air balloons. Progress!!!

http://kxan.com/2017/05/25/texas-approv ... r-balloon/
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

John A Arkansawyer

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

also, he's one of those Young Earth creationism asshats

whatwouldcooleydo?

Trent Franks delivers money shot about 48 seconds in

John A Arkansawyer

In case you hadn't noticed that the world is increasingly insane:

Phoenix Comicon suspect said things would get bloody, according to court papers
Court paperwork said that in the interview with police and in prior Facebook messages, Sterling said he was at Phoenix Comicon to finish a "job." He said he had stabbed a person -- scheduled to perform for four days at the event -- 15 years ago. He set a calendar reminder in his phone to remind him to kill the person at Comicon on May 25, court records said.

According to court documents, Sterling purchased a four-day pass to the event and told police he believed with the person dead, the person's wife and child would be happy.
Witnesses: Man Cut the Throats of Two MAX Passengers Who Tried to Stop Anti-Muslim Bullying of Women on Northeast Portland Train
The attack occurred in the Hollywood District. "He said, 'Get off the bus, and get out of the country because you don't pay taxes here.'"

Witnesses told KATU’s Joe Douglass the stabbing suspect was hurling racial insults at two women with dark skin, one of whom was wearing a headdress. Two men who came to the woman’s defense had their throats slashed by the suspect, witnesses said.

Another witness says she saw two women who appeared to be of Middle Eastern-descent get on the train. At least one of them was wearing a headdress. The suspect was asking them questions when he got belligerent. When another bystander tried to calm him down, the man took out a knife and began stabbing people.
The Trump/Russia Story Just Got A Lot Darker
Put simply, in secret meetings in December, Jared Kushner proposed to Russian Ambassador Sergei Kislyak setting up a “back channel” so the Trump team could communicate secretly and securely with Moscow. But this use of the phrase “back channel” does a serious disservice to back channels. A back channel is secret and unofficial communication through trust intermediaries that goes around the national security and diplomatic bureaucracy and provides some plausible deniability. Kushner proposed using the Russian government’s own secure communication facilities, presumably housed in Russian diplomatic facilities in Washington and New York, to communicate with Moscow behind the back of the US government, state, intelligence apparatus, military, etc.

Why exactly would you want to do that?

They're lining up the prisoners
And the guards are taking aim
I struggled with some demons
They were middle class and tame
Hi, Wolf!
I didn't know I had permission to murder and to maim
You want it darker

Hineni, hineni
I'm ready, my lord

Magnified, sanctified, be thy holy name
Vilified, crucified, in the human frame
A million candles burning for the love that never came
You want it darker
We kill the flame

Flea

Post by Flea »

Mr. Cohen was certainly prescient in his final opus.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

maybe we'll finally get to hear Jared speak when he invokes his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination

whatwouldcooleydo?

Private Counterterrorism Firm Targeted Dakota Access Pipeline Protesters on Behalf of Energy Transfer Partners

if true, I find this disturbing as fuck, though, sadly, not the least bit surprising

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Here is a very interesting article about the man of the hour, Jared Kushner. Pretty fascinating what they were able to do. However, I think is going to unravel pretty quickly. I'm (unfortunately) not optimistic about getting to the resolution of these issues in the near term, but it does look like the floodgates of evidence are beginning to open up. In other words, I think our country is about to go through a pretty difficult time. As much as I want the Great Cheeto out of there, going through something like this is going to force the country to make some tough calls, and that is going to be hard.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbert ... 45c64ea90f
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

John A Arkansawyer

I'm trying to put my writing on my blog and link to it from Facebook and other places:

Same thing we do every day. Try to change the world.
If you tell a Nazi with a knife, “Tut-tut! That’s not acceptable!” he will cordially invite you to accept that knife in your throat.

When did that stop being obvious? How did that become some profound truth?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Covfefe.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:Covfefe.
Gesundheit!

John A Arkansawyer

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. That includes a beautiful piece of rhetoric:

Letter: Wonder Woman

On May 26, 2017, the Mayor received this email:
I hope every man will boycott Austin and do what he can to diminish Austin and to cause damage to the city’s image. The theater that pandered to the sexism typical of women will, I hope, regret it’s decision. The notion of a woman hero is a fine example of women’s eagerness to accept the appearance of achievement without actual achievement. Women learn from an early age to value make-up, that it’s OK to pretend that you are greater than you actually are. Women pretend they do not know that only men serve in combat because they are content to have an easier ride. Women gladly accept gold medals at the Olympics for coming in 10th and competing only against the second class of athletes. Name something invented by a woman! Achievements by the second rate gender pale in comparison to virtually everything great in human history was accomplished by men, not women. If Austin does not host a men only counter event, I will never visit Austin and will welcome it’s deteriorati on. And I will not forget that Austin is best known for Charles Whitman. Does Austin stand for gender equality or for kissing up to women? Don’t bother to respond. I already know the answer. I do not hate women. I hate their rampant hypocrisy and the hypocrisy of the “women’s movement.” Women do not want gender equality; they want more for women. Don’t bother to respond because I am sure your cowardice will generate nothing worth reading.

Richard A. Ameduri
Today he responded:
Dear Mr. Ameduri,

I am writing to alert you that your email account has been hacked by an unfortunate and unusually hostile individual. Please remedy your account’s security right away, lest this person’s uninformed and sexist rantings give you a bad name. After all, we men have to look out for each other!

Can you imagine if someone thought that you didn’t know women could serve in our combat units now without exclusion? What if someone thought you didn’t know that women invented medical syringes, life rafts, fire escapes, central and solar heating, a war-time communications system for radio-controlling torpedoes that laid the technological foundations for everything from Wi-Fi to GPS, and beer? And I hesitate to imagine how embarrassed you’d be if someone thought you were upset that a private business was realizing a business opportunity by reserving one screening this weekend for women to see a superhero movie.

You and I are serious men of substance with little time for the delicate sensitivities displayed by the pitiful creature who maligned your good name and sterling character by writing that abysmal email. I trust the news that your email account has been hacked does not cause you undue alarm and wish you well in securing your account. And in the future, should your travels take you to Austin, please know that everyone is welcome here, even people like those who wrote that email whose views are an embarrassment to modernity, decency, and common sense.

Yours sincerely,

Steve Adler
Addendum: The good mayor forgot to mention that women invented the paragraph break.

John A Arkansawyer

“I’m Hearing You’re Really Angry”
Advice on how to talk to the white working class without insulting them.

Williams: "Donald Trump is unqualified, and Hillary Clinton is super qualified and wouldn’t it be awesome, and a progressive gesture to vote for a woman for president. Let’s break the glass ceiling." That is an incredibly well-designed message to alienate these voters. And if you are interested I can explain why.
Chotiner: Please.
Williams: The glass ceiling is a very ineffective message. Not only for the men, but also for the women, because what does glass ceiling mean? It means women like me, born with a silver spoon in my mouth, get to have jobs like the jobs my husband and father had. Why should working-class people care?

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:“I’m Hearing You’re Really Angry”

Williams: "Donald Trump is unqualified, and Hillary Clinton is super qualified and wouldn’t it be awesome, and a progressive gesture to vote for a woman for president. Let’s break the glass ceiling." That is an incredibly well-designed message to alienate these voters. And if you are interested I can explain why.
Williams: The glass ceiling is a very ineffective message. Not only for the men, but also for the women, because what does glass ceiling mean? It means women like me, born with a silver spoon in my mouth, get to have jobs like the jobs my husband and father had. Why should working-class people care?

That's a real interesting interview and I think Williams' comments/conclusions about why Hillary lost the election are dead-on.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:“I’m Hearing You’re Really Angry”

I think there's truth here but a lot of oversimplification and some contradictory information. I was struck by the part that the white working class has been portrayed negatively in sitcoms over the last twenty years. What she fails to mention in her statement is that many of those sitcoms have been enormous hits and popular with the very groups she says they deride. I get the concept of "we can make fun of ourselves but you can't make fun of us" but that only goes so far. A lot of these people took on their lack of intellectual curiosity as a badge of honor and if you don't think that's going to draw derision then you're not being realistic. Ironically it's right there where I start to agree with Ms. Williams, there's a huge messaging opportunity there and the Democrats haven't taken it, well they have but they don't speak up about it.

In his 2013 jobs bill President Obama called for a huge investment in job training programs in the poorest counties in the nation. It would be in the form of grant money given to local organizations that would decide what training was needed for jobs in their area. In other words was it tech jobs, medical jobs, advanced manufacturing, etc. This was a wonderful idea that the Republicans rejected unseen. Why wasn't this mentioned in the election? Why was the jobs conversation left as a Trump exclusive? The reason is, for me, not that all Democrats are corporatists or whatever the current accusations it's that they are absolutely terrible at messaging and I think the Clinton campaign managed to find the worst of the worst to do their messaging. The deplorables comment was possibly the worst moment of the Clinton campaign and there is every indication that it did not come from Clinton herself but that she was advised to say it by staff. If that's wrong and it was legitimately a gaffe then a golden opportunity was missed. She could have come out with a one on one tearful apology, say that she understand that the working class aren't deplorable but frustrated, take responsibility for that and then lay out what she would do to get them jobs and revitalize their communities. Then make that the sole message for weeks. Instead most Democrats applauded the sentiment of deplorables. I did not and was chastised for it in the small community of Mississippi liberals.

So the bottom line, like many similar works, Ms. Williams puts her finger on the pulse of the problem and then reads it wrong, at least partially. She fails to note that working class liberals are frustrated too by the willful and celebrated ignorance. It's pretty hard to have a conversation with someone about recycling, for instance, and have them tell you that they purposely don't recycle to screw liberals. I've had that conversation and it happens here and in red states across the land. That frustration is real but calling people deplorables isn't the answer and nor is talking to down to them and telling them they have learning to do. Instead the answers are in ideas discussed in local, Congressional and Presidential campaigns. Why is this better? How does this help me? These are the questions that need answers. So did Clinton lose because her message was one of elitism and misunderstanding of a huge swath of people? Yes.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'll be honest (and maybe I'm the problem), but I'm growing weary and borderline resentful of this "liberals refuse to understand real America" train of thought. Not once has anyone questioned why working class America refuses to understand the other side of the debate. Liberals are the bad guys for "refusing" to address the needs of middle America (and I agree they've done a poor job of messaging), but this entire storyline is one-sided as hell
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I'll be honest (and maybe I'm the problem), but I'm growing weary and borderline resentful of this "liberals refuse to understand real America" train of thought. Not once has anyone questioned why working class America refuses to understand the other side of the debate. Liberals are the bad guys for "refusing" to address the needs of middle America (and I agree they've done a poor job of messaging), but this entire storyline is one-sided as hell
Well, enjoy 8 years of Trump.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Iowan wrote:
Zip City wrote:I'll be honest (and maybe I'm the problem), but I'm growing weary and borderline resentful of this "liberals refuse to understand real America" train of thought. Not once has anyone questioned why working class America refuses to understand the other side of the debate. Liberals are the bad guys for "refusing" to address the needs of middle America (and I agree they've done a poor job of messaging), but this entire storyline is one-sided as hell
I'm not saying that the Democrats have a winning strategy. I'm saying on a personal level, I find it annoying that one group of Americans feel they need to be catered to unconditionally or else they're going to elect a mad man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:
I'm not saying that the Democrats have a winning strategy. I'm saying on a personal level, I find it annoying that one group of Americans feel they need to be catered to unconditionally or else they're going to elect a mad man
I guess I get that, I just think it's unproductive at this point to grind this axe.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Sure it is, I'm just griping.

John A Arkansawyer

That's really fucking stupid. Those people you look down on are the real America, just like you are, and the lack of comprehension and empathy runs every which way but loose. It is most certainly not some some goddam one way street. Everybody's storyline is one-sided. That's why it's their storyline. There are some actual bad actors involved, but they aren't some sad formerly middle-class fuckers whose kids don't have much of a future ahead of them.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
That's really fucking stupid. Those people you look down on are the real America, just like you are, and the lack of comprehension and empathy runs every which way but loose. It is most certainly not some some goddam one way street. Everybody's storyline is one-sided. That's why it's their storyline. There are some actual bad actors involved, but they aren't some sad formerly middle-class fuckers whose kids don't have much of a future ahead of them.
I'm not looking down on them. I'm asking why I am the asshole for not understanding them when they have no interest in understanding me (I'm using I as a middle class liberal guy, not as me specifically)

And no one gets to claim being "real America".

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:I'm not looking down on them. I'm asking why I am the asshole for not understanding them when they have no interest in understanding me (I'm using I as a middle class liberal guy, not as me specifically)
For the same reason that a local lesbian of my acquaintance was an asshole for rejecting support for black civil rights, rather than understanding why a majority of black folks in California voted wrong on Proposition 8. Yes, she really said that, and yes, she was really an asshole for saying it.
Zip City wrote:And no one gets to claim being "real America".
Every American gets to claim being the real America. Every American is a real American. Even the asshole, the Anus-Americans. They may suck; they're still real Americans.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Every American gets to claim being the real America. Every American is a real American. Even the asshole, the Anus-Americans. They may suck; they're still real Americans.
Sounds nice, but you know and I know that various groups of people like to claim the mantle of "Real American" at the exclusion of all others.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Zip City wrote:
Sounds nice, but you know and I know that various groups of people like to claim the mantle of "Real American" at the exclusion of all others.

John A Arkansawyer

tinnitus photography wrote:
Zip City wrote:
I sure wish those weren't Real Americans, but as Lou Reed once said, "Wishing won't make it so." Of course, he also once said, "All the assholes, right up front."