The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:43 pm
Arizona State isn't exactly known as a fount of intellectualism.
Is your point that one needs to be an intellectual to understand that Native Americans aren't undocumented immigrants? Because I guess the unstated assumption underlying my post is that every 10th grader ought to know that. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, which would be sad, I think. But if it can't be assumed that every college student should know that Native Americans are not undocumented immigrants then it seems to me that there's really no point to anything remotely related to politics and self-government. As James Madison said, "Education is the true foundation of civil liberty." And if we are indeed uneducated ignoramuses (including the alleged educated among us) we will not be able to govern ourselves. Hmmmmm...

Of course, it may be that the ASU College Republicans United Club was intentionally baiting people like me because they really are that sophisticated and subtle, but...ummm... no.
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:58 am
Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:43 pm
Arizona State isn't exactly known as a fount of intellectualism.
Is your point that one needs to be an intellectual to understand that Native Americans aren't undocumented immigrants? Because I guess the unstated assumption underlying my post is that every 10th grader ought to know that. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, which would be sad, I think. But if it can't be assumed that every college student should know that Native Americans are not undocumented immigrants then it seems to me that there's really no point to anything remotely related to politics and self-government. As James Madison said, "Education is the true foundation of civil liberty." And if we are indeed uneducated ignoramuses (including the alleged educated among us) we will not be able to govern ourselves. Hmmmmm...

Of course, it may be that the ASU College Republicans United Club was intentionally baiting people like me because they really are that sophisticated and subtle, but...ummm... no.
no, my point is that idiots and ignorant people are everywhere, and AZ seems to hit above their weight class.

i just read that piece in the NYT mag which i think you are referring to. i didn't recall that video when it came out.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

:lol:

in other news, when people talk about the state of democracy and its fragility, it is because of stuff like this:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/re ... ion-fraud/

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:03 pm
:lol:

in other news, when people talk about the state of democracy and its fragility, it is because of stuff like this:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/re ... ion-fraud/
Yes. Yes it is.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... non-media/

Awesome. This will go well. November is going to be a complete sh*tshow.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... non-media/

Awesome. This will go well. November is going to be a complete sh*tshow.
When did one-armed salutes become acceptable behavior in this country? That is some scary shit. Those eliciting the salutes sure as hell know what they're doing, which makes Biden's "semi-fascist" comment horribly wrong only in that it didn't go nearly far enough. Those folks are fascists, doing what fascists do. I don't know whether those responding with the salute know what they're doing but either way that is some seriously scary, seriously fucked up shit.

I get that this is a significant symptom of the desperation, fear and frustration motivating so many, but it is a dead certain lock that following Donald Trump is not going to help any of these folks.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The Fed has raised rates significantly 3x over the past few months. Mortgage rates are now over 6%. But raise your hand if your bank is paying even 1% on savings. Mine's not. Not even close. Just as gas prices go up a lot faster than they come down, interest rates banks pay go up a hell of a lot more slowly than the rates they charge on loans. Not much mystery in either case. Can you say "oligopoly"?

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:18 am
The Fed has raised rates significantly 3x over the past few months. Mortgage rates are now over 6%. But raise your hand if your bank is paying even 1% on savings. Mine's not. Not even close. Just as gas prices go up a lot faster than they come down, interest rates banks pay go up a hell of a lot more slowly than the rates they charge on loans. Not much mystery in either case. Can you say "oligopoly"?
Isn't capitalism wonderful? Rampant greed rules all. I read that my former employer is outsourcing a lot of management jobs to India. The board has just about destroyed a former US giant. This latest move isn't going to turn out well. From personal experience...

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Paul Krugman asks,

"So why the sudden run on the pound? One answer I liked came from the City of London economist Dario Perkins, who declared that the problem with the budget wasn’t that it was inflationary but that it was “moronic,” and that an economy run by morons has to pay a risk premium."

Sounds about right, but wait, there's more! Britain has also gone in on what Krugman calls "zombie economics" aka "supply side economics" aka "a rising tide lifts all boats" aka "tax cuts for the rich are good for everyone," a consistently discredited, disproven idea that refuses to die, in both Britain and the US (thus the zombie reference).

Add morons to zombies and you get... the pound approaching parity with the dollar and a likely historically short tenure for the new PM.

Of course Republicans are promising to do the same thing here if voters give them the opportunity (to the extent anyone can tell anything about what Republican policies actually are).

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:54 pm
Paul Krugman asks,

"So why the sudden run on the pound? One answer I liked came from the City of London economist Dario Perkins, who declared that the problem with the budget wasn’t that it was inflationary but that it was “moronic,” and that an economy run by morons has to pay a risk premium."

Sounds about right, but wait, there's more! Britain has also gone in on what Krugman calls "zombie economics" aka "supply side economics" aka "a rising tide lifts all boats" aka "tax cuts for the rich are good for everyone," a consistently discredited, disproven idea that refuses to die, in both Britain and the US (thus the zombie reference).

Add morons to zombies and you get... the pound approaching parity with the dollar and a likely historically short tenure for the new PM.

Of course Republicans are promising to do the same thing here if voters give them the opportunity (to the extent anyone can tell anything about what Republican policies actually are).
The extent to which those absolute fucking cretins have fucked the UK over the past 6 years is quite something. Every time I think they've reached the limit of their fucking stupidity they pull something else out of the hat.

Hopefully it's a cautionary tale to the rest of the world to not listen to the promises of morons.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

At least they haven’t elected Mussolini 2.0 (yet)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:28 am
Sadly only a matter of time.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

chuckrh wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:31 am
Zip City wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:28 am
Sadly only a matter of time.
Recently read an op-ed that essentially said "She's not THAT fascist"

...oh how we've evolved...

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Way back in 2014 we were discussing Russia, Ukraine, energy markets in Europe and gas pipelines in this thread... interesting throwback with the stuff that goes on these days...
beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 am
Cole Younger wrote:
If I may, I don't think Beebs means that a Russian invasion of Poland is exactly like what lead to WWII. I think he means an increasingly aggressive Putin bent on acquiring more territory could lead to us having to get involved. Think Putin deciding to move into Western Europe. Is it unlikely? Oh yeah. And that's the only way I could see us needing to get involved. If nothing else maybe this makes it a little less popular to hate America. Putin sure seems to want Russia to be a military power on the world's stage.
I think it's pretty likely that Putin will try to reconstruct a substantial portion of the USSR. I thought that the guy beebs was quoting was saying that Poland would try to stop him (if Russia went after certain areas) and would drag NATO w/ them. I think that's unlikely. I think it's unlikely that anyone, including the USA, will try to stop him militarily unless he tries to move West, e.g. the Baltics or Poland, which we agree doesn't seem like the most likely scenario. Or unless he turns off the gas pipeline, but it's hard to see why he'd do that.
and
RolanK wrote:
Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:19 am
beantownbubba wrote: Fossil fuels are still the bottom line. The best thing that could ever happen to advance the possibility of peace on earth is the development of true replacements for fossil fuels, preferably from renewable resources. In the meantime, Putin's got the goods, Western Europe needs them desperately and the story will play out along some line in which that is the dominant plot/theme.
I think this is a key issue here (as allways). Just google up a picture of existing and planned oil/gas pipelines from the area around the Caspian Sea and beyond, and you will see a pretty interesting picture. Adding into the equiation that most of the key players both on the Ukrainian side as well as the Russian side in one way or another are or were involed in the Oil and Gas industry.

Involvement by the US and Western Euorpean contries I would guess are pretty much determined by how the situation influence the energy markets.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Phew! That could have been a lot worse lol.

But the important unresolved questions are where the fuck is beebs and how old is baby beebs now?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The report detailing the investigation into abuses and mistreatment in women's soccer is horrifying and so disheartening. I kept repeating to myself, "but it's two thousand and twenty-two..." Clearly we're still in the dark ages. I just can't imagine being in a position of authority receiving complaints about the kinds of behavior alleged and doing nothing about it. Wait. Not just nothing but actively impeding investigations and actively hiding documented behavior. In fact I've been in that position so I'm not just talking here. There's no excuse. SMH.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:15 pm
Phew! That could have been a lot worse lol.
I agree.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:53 pm
The report detailing the investigation into abuses and mistreatment in women's soccer is horrifying and so disheartening. I kept repeating to myself, "but it's two thousand and twenty-two..." Clearly we're still in the dark ages. I just can't imagine being in a position of authority receiving complaints about the kinds of behavior alleged and doing nothing about it. Wait. Not just nothing but actively impeding investigations and actively hiding documented behavior. In fact I've been in that position so I'm not just talking here. There's no excuse. SMH.
Astrophysics at our fingertips
And we're standing at the summit
And some man with a joystick
Lands a rocket on a comet
We're living in an age
Where limitations are forgotten
The outer edges move and dazzle us
But the core is something rotten

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Between Tommy Tuberville, Ye and Herschel Walker it was a real throwback weekend. Like back to the 1950's, or maybe the 1840's. :evil:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

If memory serves, we had a discussion about the future of high speed rail in the US a while back. This article shows why we can't have nice things. The CA high speed rail project makes Boston's "Big Dig" look like an erector set toy project. That's not a good thing. The map does show, and the article implies w/out expressly stating, that the project is intended to have one terminus in LA, not Bakersfield, which at least makes a little more sense.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/09/us/c ... 029039208a

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:59 am
Between Tommy Tuberville, Ye and Herschel Walker it was a real throwback weekend. Like back to the 1950's, or maybe the 1840's. :evil:
Holy shit. That was even before I heard about Doug Mastriano in PA. Yeah, I knew he was a "Christian nationalist" and election denier but his anti-semitic dog whistling is straight out of Weimar or maybe early Nazi Germany. And fuck his "who me?" denials too.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

It’s been an excruciatingly awful few months and there’s still four more weeks til election day.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brettac1 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:04 pm
It’s been an excruciatingly awful few months and there’s still four more weeks til election day.
Which reminds me: Living in the Commonwealth of my vote doesn't count for squat, I thankfully don't see many political ads. But this summer I saw plenty while I was in Florida and I do see a few now for the NH senate & governor races. OMG. If I had to be subjected to that stuff regularly as I'm sure many of you are by now I'd be well past screaming at the screen on to maybe flinging things at it. And I'm sure it's been getting worse as election day finally approaches and various races have either tightened up or unexpectedly widened. I feel sorry for y'all.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:57 am
brettac1 wrote:
Which reminds me: Living in the Commonwealth of my vote doesn't count for squat, I thankfully don't see many political ads. But this summer I saw plenty while I was in Florida and I do see a few now for the NH senate & governor races. OMG. If I had to be subjected to that stuff regularly as I'm sure many of you are by now I'd be well past screaming at the screen on to maybe flinging things at it. And I'm sure it's been getting worse as election day finally approaches and various races have either tightened up or unexpectedly widened. I feel sorry for y'all.
We're only really getting Tim Ryan vs. JD Vance ads. They're brutal on both sides

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:35 am
beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:57 am
brettac1 wrote:
We're only really getting Tim Ryan vs. JD Vance ads. They're brutal on both sides
We've got a nasty senate race going in Washington. The Democrat incumbant is an old hag who's been in 30 years & kind of looks like Mitch McConnell in drag. Can't stand her. She's supposed to be a "people's candidate" but is the number one receipient of funds from big pharma in DC from either party. Problem is the Republican candidate is even worse. She's a trumpanzee & the GOP is throwing big money behind her. All they do is call each other names & refuse to talk about actual issues. The Dem is Patty Murray & the Rep is TIffany Smiley. For cheap pops Smiley trots out her blind veteran husband once in awhile. It's like the WWE. I voted for another Dem who seemed reasonable but didn't have any name recognition. I supposed I'm going to have to grit my teeth & vote for Murray. We've got a few nasty races for the house going on, too. It's all a horrible farce.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

JD Vance is trying to paint Tim Ryan as a big tax & spend liberal commie, while Tim Ryan is running to the center as fast as he can.