The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

whatwouldcooleydo?

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Zip City wrote:C.S. Lewis gives as good a definition of gaslighting as anyone I've heard.
I haven't seen it, but I'd like to!
Own goal!!!
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
Zip City wrote:C.S. Lewis gives as good a definition of gaslighting as anyone I've heard.
You just posted it!
Which one is the gaslighting--the original story or the revision?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The idea of moving the scale of what is black, gray or white.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:The idea of moving the scale of what is black, gray or white.
Whose scale is it? Who is doing the moving?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
That's a very flattering comparison! Of the six people running for national office in that election, James Stockdale was a cut above the rest. My politics are quite different from his, of course, but just as a human being, he was quite something.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
That's a very flattering comparison! Of the six people running for national office in that election, James Stockdale was a cut above the rest. My politics are quite different from his, of course, but just as a human being, he was quite something.
Look at you, taking lemons and making lemonade. Bless your heart :lol: :lol: :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Look at you, taking lemons and making lemonade. Bless your heart :lol: :lol: :lol:

It only works because I'm sincere. Plus I don't know where any of you live. ;-)

But these seem like simple questions I'm asking. Gaslighting is when someone deliberately manipulates someone into doubting their sanity. In the example given, there are at most four parties: The people who tell the story of the atrocity, the people who tell the story that casts doubt on the atrocity, the people who are the audience of those two groups, and the narrator. And that takes us back around to this:
Which one is the manipulator--the one moving the scales? Which is being manipulated--the owner of the scales?

whatwouldcooleydo?

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Which one is the manipulator--the one moving the scales?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

John A Arkansawyer

FIne. I'll be direct.
Zip City wrote:
You just posted it!
Gaslighting is something one person does to another. What Lewis describes is something a person does to himself in resisting correction of a false impression. The false impression doesn't have to be a hostile act or an attempt to madden, just simple confusion, careless reporting, an overwhelmingly powerful (if accidental) set of symbols and images. I get why you'd confuse the two, as there are strong similarities in effect, but the causes are very different. They aren't the same.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Its okay....Roger Stone pleaded Not Guilty. Turns out your fears were unfounded. Would this guy lie?

Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Flea

Post by Flea »

^^^

He would have made a great Batman villian.
Now it's dark.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Here are the official rules for the SOTU Drinking Game. Good preparation for Homecoming as well!

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... es-202603/

Flea

Post by Flea »

pearlbeer wrote:Here are the official rules for the SOTU Drinking Game. Good preparation for Homecoming as well!

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... es-202603/

Ummm - that's a year old. Those rules may result in less intoxication than is needed.
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
Once they let you collude, you can do anything...grab 'em by the stars!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

You know how you know lived too long? When you see the President of the United States dry humping the American flag. I would have been OK to have missed that.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I was curious about the Canoe logo on the left side of that picture. My research indicates that, Dragging Canoe, is an upcoming a second-amendment themed outdoor company and (maybe) restaurant in Pigeon Forge slated to open in 2020.

So you know....if he keeps dry humping that flag, he will have to marry it...in Dollywood.

scotto

Post by scotto »

pearlbeer wrote:
I hear that flag got a check for $130,000.

whatwouldcooleydo?

scotto wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:
I hear that flag got a check for $130,000.

Hopefully it also got some penicillin

Flea

Post by Flea »

That banner requires incineration. In accordance with section 285b of title 2 of the U.S. Code: The flag should never touch anything beneath it
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

They say that patriotism is the last refuge
To which a scoundrel clings
Steal a little and they throw you in jail
Steal a lot and they make you king

whatwouldcooleydo?

Just another day that ends with a "y" :x :x :x

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 1217d4e8c2

In an interview with Breitbart News, President Trump said this:

You know, the left plays a tougher game, it’s very funny. I actually think that the people on the right are tougher, but they don’t play it tougher. Okay? I can tell you I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump — I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough — until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad.

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Just another day that ends with a "y" :x :x :x

You know, the left plays a tougher game, it’s very funny. I actually think that the people on the right are tougher, but they don’t play it tougher. Okay? I can tell you I have the support of the police, the support of the military, the support of the Bikers for Trump — I have the tough people, but they don’t play it tough — until they go to a certain point, and then it would be very bad, very bad.
I'm not happy to see that right after I'd noticed an increase in violent and near-violent threats in at least one of my relatives Facebook feeds. Since what I see there is anecdata at best, I'm hoping it's strictly coincidental.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I've had this on slow boil since I first read the quote and it just won't go away. This is so fucking outrageous I can barely wrap my head around it but as usual, it barely generates a ripple on social media and no public reaction by "leaders" that I'm aware of. I take this as a personal threat as I think we all should, and we should be prepared. I'm dusting off my never completed application for a firearms license. Fuck Trump.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:

I've had this on slow boil since I first read the quote and it just won't go away. This is so fucking outrageous I can barely wrap my head around it but as usual, it barely generates a ripple on social media and no public reaction by "leaders" that I'm aware of. I take this as a personal threat as I think we all should, and we should be prepared. I'm dusting off my never completed application for a firearms license. Fuck Trump.
I've had the same thought roiling around. I haven't even seen my normally outraged left wing friends commenting on this. He's a complete piece of shit and the Dems have to be completely on board with beating him.

Calling this the talk of dictators is not hyperbole. Using military/law enforcement (is there a difference anymore?) to squash political opposition is the definition of being a dictator.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:

He started down this path in March of 2016 when he started encouraging his supporters to beat up protestors. I don't know if he intended it to get here, but it seems to come natural to him, so that's an indistinction without a difference.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

His entire presidency is an experiment for the GOP; they are letting Trump get away with as much as possible because if HE can get away with it, then THEY can get away with it. It will take a significant public backlash (i.e. high leadership types like McConnell getting voted out of Congress) for any ripple to be felt.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

I know Gohmert is a Gomer (sorry, Jim Nabors), but seeing even a nutcase Republican representative say something this fucking incoherent about half a hundred people being murdered is also threatening.

But maybe not as threatening as hearing this Republican representative--national, not state--say this:
Rep. Rob Bishop (R-UT) told reporters Thursday that for those who live in the west, the ideas in the Green New Deal “are tantamount to genocide,” according to a Friday Washington Post report.

“That may be an overstatement, but not by a whole lot,” he added.

Even when pushed afterward, Bishop stood by the word choice, which refers to the slaughter of a large group of people, usually of one ethnicity of nationality.

“I’m an ethnic,” Bishop, who is white, said. “I’m a westerner. If you actually implement everything they want to — killing would be positive if you implement everything the Green New Deal actually wants to.”