The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

boyyourself

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by boyyourself »

The political shifts happening in places like Iowa and Texas are heartwarming.
What are yalls thoughts on Beto O’Rourke? He seems genuine, open minded and credible.
I really like his answer to the players kneeling for the anthem and would encourage everyone to check it out. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWmh-maevk

On a side note, i heard a coyote expert on Joe Rogan exclaiming that when coyote packs howl it is for the purpose of the mothers taking roll call of the pack and if there are coyotes missing the mothers will make new coyotes which makes total sense given how much effoert and resources man has put into eradicating this brilliant creature. I’ve known plenty of ranchers that go on helicopter coyote hunts——- what an extreme waste of fuel and bullets given the fact that they just make new ones every time we kill one.
As a kid my cousins had a bunch of greyhounds and training race track. They would take the fastest dogs to the races and the others they would use for hunting coyotes. What a blast that was. At the time they were getting $8 per hide.
Not bad for 1979.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Meanwhile, down in the trenches, where things eventually get very real and very personal...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... tions.html

Voters actually voting for what they do (and don't) believe!! It really shouldn't take 4 day school weeks, teacher shortages and 9 figure tax breaks for energy companies to get people's attention, but if that's what it takes, eventually that's what's gonna happen, as a bunch of Republican state legislators recently discovered in Oklahoma. The governor, who is up for re-election this fall, is cruising along w/ a 19% approval rating. We'll see how that translates into votes, but it should be interesting.

The parallels to Trump's decision to cancel raises for federal works in the face of a deficit created by gifting tax breaks to the wealthy strikes me as remarkably similar in so many ways. We'll find out whether he will pay a similar price.
I've seen a similar switch in outlook from guys I know that work for the State, City, or County here in Iowa. They voted heavily Republican in the last election cycle mostly on the gun issue, and are now absolutely furious about how the Republicans have gutted pensions, broken collective bargaining, and flat out under funded every kind of public works. A guy I know who voted for Trump has been routinely posting on Facebook in support of the Democrat running for governor. Our Republican US congressman is considered one of the most likely incumbents to lose, to a 29 year old woman.

As one buddy put it "I'll wait another week for my coyote gun (AR-15) if it means I keep my pension and union". It'll be interesting to see how this translates into votes, but I've found that people tend to vote on certain ideological issues when they're comfortable, and when the other side turns on their ways and means, things change. The flip of this was Obama being initially very popular where I live, and his popularity dramatically falling off when people's insurance premiums tripled over a 3 year period. The effects of the ACA were one of the biggest factors in my areas Obama to Trump flip, as misguided as that blame was - it all fell squarely on the Democrats.
Kind of stating the obvious here, but what is good for the long-term benefit of society will get you killed in politics. A few weeks ago George Will wrote a good opinion piece for the Washington Post that touched on some of these inconvenient truths.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... e49657422f

From the article:
"Despite today’s shrill discord between the parties, the political class is more united by class interest than it is divided by ideology. From left to right, this class has a permanent incentive to run enormous deficits — to charge, through taxation, current voters significantly less than the cost of the government goods and services they consume, and saddle future voters with the cost of servicing the resulting debt after the current crop of politicians has left the scene.

This crop derives its political philosophy from the musical “Annie”: Tomorrow is always a day away. For normal people, however, the day after tomorrow always arrives."
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

boyyourself wrote:The political shifts happening in places like Iowa and Texas are heartwarming.
What are yalls thoughts on Beto O’Rourke? He seems genuine, open minded and credible.
I really like his answer to the players kneeling for the anthem and would encourage everyone to check it out. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SGWmh-maevk
Unlike many Democrats, Beto seems to have a good understanding as to how to deliver the message. Would be fuckin' awesome if he unseated good ole Teddy boy.
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Did anyone from DC ever run into Duncan Hunter (R-Jail) out partying in Washington? Sounds like he hit some pretty nice places where some of you might be found.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

The Bullet in My Arm
I grew up in a gun-loving town in Alabama. My grandfather’s store sells firearms. But only after I was shot did I begin to understand America’s complicated relationship with guns.

We talked about how hiking the age for AR-15 purchases was unlikely to stop the next Parkland. Still, it felt good to do something, anything. The problem was a complicated one, he said, and the only thing Democrats seemed able to do was serve up broad-stroke talking points, while Republicans said nothing at all.

On Capitol Hill, I’d watched up close as apathy had settled in after earlier shootings. I could predict the responses of each party’s leaders. I could recite the thoughts and prayers, all of which had begun to feel like a mockery of God, of the brains he’d given us to figure this out. I found myself thinking of 1 Peter 4:10: “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.”

If my grandfather, a middle-of-the-road Republican who voted for Donald Trump, could see the many grays of this very American problem, I thought, why couldn’t anyone in Washington?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Speaking of "anyone in Washington," the mess in DC is going to get worse before it gets better and that's not good for any of us. At one level nothing that is happening now is surprising to anyone who understood who and what Trump was from the beginning. So when you take all that as a given (a disastrous given, but still) you're left w/ the astonishing and infuriating failure of Messrs. McConnell and Ryan, to say nothing of the cynicism that underlies that failure. Their complete abdication of leadership and responsibility is one very big reason things are as bad as they are now and getting worse. I only hope that they leave enough behind for the history of this era to be worth writing and that they live long enough to understand that their places in history will be among the country's biggest and most reviled losers.

It seems that the current price for a soul in Washington is one wild and crazy tax bill and 2 Supreme Court justices. Selling themselves cheap seems to be a fitting aspect of their story.
They're not monsters. They're not animals.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote: It seems that the current price for a soul in Washington is one wild and crazy tax bill and 2 Supreme Court justices.
That's it right there. Most "regular republicans" dislike Trump but are willing to swallow the puke in their mouths in exchange for the tax bill, immigration reform and supreme court picks.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

Thank goodness for the Resistance!

I AM PART OF THE RESISTANCE INSIDE NYARLATHOTEP’S DEATH CULT
In the year-and-a-half since the Black Pharaoh replaced the Oval Office with a literal blood fountain throne, I’ve watched as the hits keep on coming. The executive cabinet is wracked with scandal, ordinary citizens who signed the cultist oath are making good on their grave pacts, and, of course, the entirety of the country’s water supply is now teeming with pulsating eggs from some kind inter-dimensional parasite. It’s easy to look at these kinds of headlines, to read these sorts of leaked stories from the desiccated Capitol Hill, and see an unsustainable administration. Rumors of reversal incantations are beginning to make the rounds, and if our Commander-in-Chief is not careful, It could find Itself cast back among the stars beyond the universe. The past few weeks, in particular, have seen our President certainly live up to our campaign slogan “I See All, and It Shall Burn.”

Flea

Post by Flea »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Thank goodness for the Resistance!

I AM PART OF THE RESISTANCE INSIDE NYARLATHOTEP’S DEATH CULT
In the year-and-a-half since the Black Pharaoh replaced the Oval Office with a literal blood fountain throne, I’ve watched as the hits keep on coming. The executive cabinet is wracked with scandal, ordinary citizens who signed the cultist oath are making good on their grave pacts, and, of course, the entirety of the country’s water supply is now teeming with pulsating eggs from some kind inter-dimensional parasite. It’s easy to look at these kinds of headlines, to read these sorts of leaked stories from the desiccated Capitol Hill, and see an unsustainable administration. Rumors of reversal incantations are beginning to make the rounds, and if our Commander-in-Chief is not careful, It could find Itself cast back among the stars beyond the universe. The past few weeks, in particular, have seen our President certainly live up to our campaign slogan “I See All, and It Shall Burn.”
I wish I had thought of that!
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

I was in a foul mood this morning, having gotten very little sleep due to a splitting headache, so I did something I should know better than to do: I said what I actually think. So for those of you who I have yet to sufficiently offend:

The Assistance

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:Speaking of "anyone in Washington," the mess in DC is going to get worse before it gets better and that's not good for any of us. At one level nothing that is happening now is surprising to anyone who understood who and what Trump was from the beginning. So when you take all that as a given (a disastrous given, but still) you're left w/ the astonishing and infuriating failure of Messrs. McConnell and Ryan, to say nothing of the cynicism that underlies that failure. Their complete abdication of leadership and responsibility is one very big reason things are as bad as they are now and getting worse. I only hope that they leave enough behind for the history of this era to be worth writing and that they live long enough to understand that their places in history will be among the country's biggest and most reviled losers.

It seems that the current price for a soul in Washington is one wild and crazy tax bill and 2 Supreme Court justices. Selling themselves cheap seems to be a fitting aspect of their story.
Another view. Hard to believe we live in the same country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... ons&wpmm=1

scotto

Post by scotto »

^I try to read rational points of view from the other side: level-headed Republicans, old-school conservatives, National Review and even Redstate, but Hugh Hewitt makes me want to vomit.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

scotto wrote:^I try to read rational points of view from the other side: level-headed Republicans, old-school conservatives, National Review and even Redstate, but Hugh Hewitt makes me want to vomit.
Right? I mean Jesus is that a bunch of crap.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I couldn't even read it (it's behind a paywall)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I was in a foul mood this morning, having gotten very little sleep due to a splitting headache, so I did something I should know better than to do: I said what I actually think. So for those of you who I have yet to sufficiently offend:

The Assistance

Well said.
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

In the video from earlier today where Trump touts the response to the hurricane in Puerto Rico as an “unsung success” ( :roll: :roll: :roll: ), it looks like there is a miniature replica of the World Cup trophy on the table behind him. WTF?
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Starting today, your best source for unbiased, in depth information about guns and america: https://gunsandamerica.org/story/18/09/ ... s-america/

I do not claim to be unbiased about the source of that unbiased information :) ;)

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

beantownbubba wrote:Starting today, your best source for unbiased, in depth information about guns and america: https://gunsandamerica.org/story/18/09/ ... s-america/

I do not claim to be unbiased about the source of that unbiased information :) ;)
Looks very cool and I'll definitely continue to check it out going forward. You should be a proud papa.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:
Looks very cool and I'll definitely continue to check it out going forward. You should be a proud papa.
Thanks. I am, I am. :)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mr. B wrote:
Thanks. I am, I am. :)
Holy shit, you subtle bastard. I didn't even catch the byline. Congrats to Jeremy!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:Starting today, your best source for unbiased, in depth information about guns and america: https://gunsandamerica.org/story/18/09/ ... s-america/

Keep us updated. I ain't gonna remember
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Whispers on the legal grapevine are that Manafort is going to plead guilty today to the additional charges that are supposed to go to trial later this month. These are the charges that have more to do w/ Trump and the campaign than w/ Manafort's own business activities so there are some interesting potential implications...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tulsi Gabbard was on the Joe Rogan Experience this week. Really impressive. If the Dems had a lick of sense, they would be positioning her for a 2020 run - or at least getting her in the Primary field. Ex-military minority woman who's pretty open in her disdain for Clinton and the DNC, and didn't pull any punches on a few issues that have bi-partisan support at the ground level (warrantless surveillance, reigning in North Korea, legal pot).

cortez the killer

- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

cortez the killer wrote:Image
Damn, Stevie’s come a long way from when he was Kenny Powers’ moronic sidekick
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Flea

Post by Flea »

This shit makes me wish there were a man-sized microwave in which I could self-immolate.
Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Now it's dark.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:Image
Damn, Stevie’s come a long way from when he was Kenny Powers’ moronic sidekick
Looks like he ditched the cape from sophomore year.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Yup. That's over in GW's neck of the woods.

I'd actually bet that the dairy farmers themselves didn't vote for Trump. Even though it's a heavily agricultural area, and heavily conservative, the amount of people who have equity in an ag operation are probably less than 15-20% of the population. There's a misconception that Midwestern Farmers were the biggest Trump backers, but in reality, it was people who lived in small Midwestern towns. The biggest Trumpsters I know are small town people, but they aren't farmers. They work in factories, own small businesses, shit - one's even a doctor. Because agriculture is the predominant industry and one that's associated with this area, it gets tied to that movement. I of course know farmers who voted Trump, but I know just as many who didn't. The majority of rural residents aren't farmers, but they're often (especially in western Iowa) very conservative.

Most actual farmers where I'm at (3 hours due east of Sibley, the town in the story) support reformed immigration laws that make it easier to bring people from Mexico here to work in the livestock industry. North Iowa has incredibly low unemployment, so it's virtually impossible to hire locals for that work. As the story pointed out, the farmers aren't hiding their employment of these people from the IRS. They submit W9s, get taxes taken out in their name, and W3s are filed for all of these folks. Now, did they obtain that identity and those documents illegally? Probably, but there isn't really any way for the farmer to prove it, and if they hold themselves out as legal citizens with all of the documents to back it up, then you're going to accept it.

The ag industry needs labor. American citizens aren't willing to provide it. Mexicans are. It's pretty damn simple in my eyes. We have people who want to come here, work, and contribute. Let them. Jesus, it ain't rocket science.