The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

boyyourself

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by boyyourself »

Zip City wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:37 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:06 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:58 pm

Yup
So would if your mom was high risk, or your child, you would only advise them to vax? What if they drank and smoked and ate doughnuts all day? (Not that unusual)

You wouldnt say anything else to them? Anything that may immediately lower mortality risks?

Or just vax?

Thats the scenario i offer you.
I dont think they have to be mutually exclusive. Undersrsnd?

Honestly your argument reminds me of the Black Lives Matter argument. We must focus on black.people right now. Got it. Wait? Literally nothing else? Yup.
Black people are the only thing on fire and we need the fireman only for them!!

Caveat,,,,,,,,,not trying to start shit about blm. I just dont vibr w your argument about only steering the fire dept towards what YOU think is the most important fire to supress.
Straight up no offense meant on any level. I hear all your seat belt and helmet arguments too, and respect where youre coming from.
But your reply to vaccines has consistently been “why are we talking about vaccines and not obesity and fresh air?” You constantly steer away from immediate preventative measures. Why is that?

Why are we ONLY talking about vaccines is what i have been consistent with. Big difference. That was my frustration. So, now what?
I am telling you right now i dont have the solution...
For a lot of people it seems to me, the combo of vax now and wrestle control of your own health at the same time, is a fine message. Two things can be true at once.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

boyyourself wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:35 pm
Zip City wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:37 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:06 pm

Honestly your argument reminds me of the Black Lives Matter argument. We must focus on black.people right now. Got it. Wait? Literally nothing else? Yup.
Black people are the only thing on fire and we need the fireman only for them!!

Caveat,,,,,,,,,not trying to start shit about blm. I just dont vibr w your argument about only steering the fire dept towards what YOU think is the most important fire to supress.
Straight up no offense meant on any level. I hear all your seat belt and helmet arguments too, and respect where youre coming from.
But your reply to vaccines has consistently been “why are we talking about vaccines and not obesity and fresh air?” You constantly steer away from immediate preventative measures. Why is that?

Why are we ONLY talking about vaccines is what i have been consistent with. Big difference. That was my frustration. So, now what?
I am telling you right now i dont have the solution...
For a lot of people it seems to me, the combo of vax now and wrestle control of your own health at the same time, is a fine message. Two things can be true at once.

So having said that, my questions still stand. And you clearly dont mind giving advice just sayin

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:29 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:16 am
[
I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE EFFICACY OF MASKS. I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE ALLEGED RESPONSIBILITY OF PEOPLE TO GET VACCINATED ON BEHALF OF OTHERS. I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT FAUCI, THE GOOD OR THE BAD. I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT "ARROGANT, CONDESCENDING" EASTERNERS OR "DUMB" OTHERS. I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT STRESSES ON THE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM (to the extent that arguably places responsibility on citizens to avoid contributing to those stresses). If people insist on talking about any of that stuff I will ask the mods to delete the offending posts. So what do I want to talk about?

Maybe my unvaccinated friends know all this. But maybe they don't. I figure it's worth a few minutes of my time to be sure.
My wife tells me that this is not as clear as I thought it was and was more provocative than I thought or intended. Once the oracle has spoken there's no way around it so I apologize for writing something that was far more provoking than I imagined and which obscured my purpose. My intent was the opposite. If I were to re write it, it would look something like this.

"I do not want to reinvent the coronavirus thread. I think that had pretty much run its course. I am trying to work around the various hot button issues from that thread to focus on one narrow point of information and question. In that coronavirus thread CY and I agreed that our fundamental disagreement was about how serious a health threat the coronavirus is. I have come across some new to me information that scares me and I want to be sure my unvaccinated friends have that data available to them while they continue to choose to remain unvaccinated."

As far as I have seen nobody has actually commented on the substance of what I (and zip in a different way) posted. I assume that means that the information is either not new or doesn't change anyone's mind. So be it. Again, I want to emphasize that I am not advocating any POV on this one and if some people choose to remain unvaccinated that remains their choice. I hope it works out for them.

BY, I can't understand why anyone would want to turn this (or any other) thread into another coronavirus thread. I thought that was more or less a unanimous view. I was obviously wrong. You are absolutely entitled to post about anything you'd like including the coronavirus, masks and all the rest.
It's the old quote, often attributed to Stalin, about a single death being a tragedy, while a million deaths is just a statistic.

I truly think we don't have the capacity to comprehend suffering and death of this magnitude. Making it about 36 people in Mississippi brings it down to a somewhat more recognizable and familiar scale, but we still have to be somewhat numb to the fact that that was just one state, in one day. If all of us felt each of those deaths as intimately as those folks' loved ones do, we'd all be blubbering messes incapable of cooking breakfast or getting dressed.

(FWIW, when I look at the data for Mississippi, it does look like deaths now are lower than they were during the winter surge, but that's really neither here nor there in terms of your point or mine).

I guess what I'm saying is people have made whatever "peace" you can make with this tragedy and have dug in their heels on how and whether we should respond, as dictated by their broader views on freedom, government, and personal responsibility. I don't think anything anyone can write on a message board can break through that, in either direction. What can, maybe, is either personal experience or a very trusted and close contact (physician, family member, etc.)

I certainly don't wish for anyone to have any personal experience with this virus, for themselves or for their immediate friends and family. So I think we kind of just are where we are for the time being, unless something dramatic happens to really alter the landscape. Not sure what that would be. I do know I don't want to find out.

All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:46 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
[
I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE EFFICACY OF MASKS. I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE ALLEGED RESPONSIBILITY OF PEOPLE TO GET VACCINATED ON BEHALF OF OTHERS. I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT FAUCI, THE GOOD OR THE BAD. I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT "ARROGANT, CONDESCENDING" EASTERNERS OR "DUMB" OTHERS. I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT STRESSES ON THE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM (to the extent that arguably places responsibility on citizens to avoid contributing to those stresses). If people insist on talking about any of that stuff I will ask the mods to delete the offending posts. So what do I want to talk about?

Maybe my unvaccinated friends know all this. But maybe they don't. I figure it's worth a few minutes of my time to be sure.
My wife tells me that this is not as clear as I thought it was and was more provocative than I thought or intended. Once the oracle has spoken there's no way around it so I apologize for writing something that was far more provoking than I imagined and which obscured my purpose. My intent was the opposite. If I were to re write it, it would look something like this.

"I do not want to reinvent the coronavirus thread. I think that had pretty much run its course. I am trying to work around the various hot button issues from that thread to focus on one narrow point of information and question. In that coronavirus thread CY and I agreed that our fundamental disagreement was about how serious a health threat the coronavirus is. I have come across some new to me information that scares me and I want to be sure my unvaccinated friends have that data available to them while they continue to choose to remain unvaccinated."

As far as I have seen nobody has actually commented on the substance of what I (and zip in a different way) posted. I assume that means that the information is either not new or doesn't change anyone's mind. So be it. Again, I want to emphasize that I am not advocating any POV on this one and if some people choose to remain unvaccinated that remains their choice. I hope it works out for them.

BY, I can't understand why anyone would want to turn this (or any other) thread into another coronavirus thread. I thought that was more or less a unanimous view. I was obviously wrong. You are absolutely entitled to post about anything you'd like including the coronavirus, masks and all the rest.
It's the old quote, often attributed to Stalin, about a single death being a tragedy, while a million deaths is just a statistic.

I truly think we don't have the capacity to comprehend suffering and death of this magnitude. Making it about 36 people in Mississippi brings it down to a somewhat more recognizable and familiar scale, but we still have to be somewhat numb to the fact that that was just one state, in one day. If all of us felt each of those deaths as intimately as those folks' loved ones do, we'd all be blubbering messes incapable of cooking breakfast or getting dressed.

(FWIW, when I look at the data for Mississippi, it does look like deaths now are lower than they were during the winter surge, but that's really neither here nor there in terms of your point or mine).

I guess what I'm saying is people have made whatever "peace" you can make with this tragedy and have dug in their heels on how and whether we should respond, as dictated by their broader views on freedom, government, and personal responsibility. I don't think anything anyone can write on a message board can break through that, in either direction. What can, maybe, is either personal experience or a very trusted and close contact (physician, family member, etc.)

I certainly don't wish for anyone to have any personal experience with this virus, for themselves or for their immediate friends and family. So I think we kind of just are where we are for the time being, unless something dramatic happens to really alter the landscape. Not sure what that would be. I do know I don't want to find out.

I’ve personally resolved to not discuss the v word with anybody anymore except my wife and doctor. It is radioactive.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
[

I dug that video.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
[

I dug that video.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I also loved that video. It would have saved me a lot of typing had I seen it sooner.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Have been following the Isbell story about him cancelling houston, and they moved the show to Billy Bobs ft worth.
I saw reports that houston had only sold 1700 tickets? For Isbell? Thats weird to me. But if true, then thats weak for isbell to cancel. And i dont see how a show at billy bobs was any "safer." But it looks like jason is gonna be leading the charge on vax and positive test requirements to attend shows.
I wonder if DBT is gonna go down that road, or if they have the option. Or if there will be a dileneation between outdoor shows, for instance, the Austin shows in November are outside. What kind of treatment will that recieve?
I feel a bit foolish for having booked that trip. Its likely not gonna happen for me for one reason or another.
Plus was looking forward to Mcmurtry at Continental Club, they will be requiring all the things for entry. Gauranteed.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:05 am
Have been following the Isbell story about him cancelling houston, and they moved the show to Billy Bobs ft worth.
I saw reports that houston had only sold 1700 tickets? For Isbell? Thats weird to me. But if true, then thats weak for isbell to cancel. And i dont see how a show at billy bobs was any "safer." But it looks like jason is gonna be leading the charge on vax and positive test requirements to attend shows.
I wonder if DBT is gonna go down that road, or if they have the option. Or if there will be a dileneation between outdoor shows, for instance, the Austin shows in November are outside. What kind of treatment will that recieve?
I feel a bit foolish for having booked that trip. Its likely not gonna happen for me for one reason or another.
Plus was looking forward to Mcmurtry at Continental Club, they will be requiring all the things for entry. Gauranteed.

This reminds me of why its important to always go to the show. And i did. Starting in 2004, at a festival in Seattle, literally in the shadow of the space needle, had been a fan since SRO. There goes the next 16 yrs of my life travelling the world seeing this band. Last shows were Gruene Hall fall of 2019. and all my rowdy friends were there and that was the best part. Sharing joints and vapes and booze and a couple other things. Gruene hall opens for sound check too. Will never forget hearing grievance merchants for the first time. Daaaamn.
Then their was the cancelled Salt Lake show, and that revealed to me in full force that life goes on.
We even stayed an extra day we were having such a fine time......spending five straight days with my daughter on a trip like that, just before she enters high school? Priceless and unforgettable. And a reminder that if i never see another show, its fine-----as long as i can catch my heathen buddies on down the line.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:43 pm
boyyourself, you didn’t ask me but since we are in the extreme minority here this is just how it’s going to be, man. Nobody here understands mine or your view of the world. I don’t personally care and I don’t believe you do either but this being the internet, the fact that we are in such a small minority, and the fact that some people here aren’t just in disagreement but are openly hostile toward people with not just our views but anyone whose views don’t mirror their own means this is what you’re going to get.

There are those who do want to have a discussion. No doubt you have figured out who they are. There are also those who are mostly here to get off on the sight of what they think is their brilliance typed on a screen and those who use this as their stress relief and lash out at people with a opposing views in a way they never would in person. The true assholes here would piss down their leg if you saw them at a show and told them who you were. They are few in number but they exist. It can be easy to get sucked into their bullshit sometimes. It has happened to me. You’ve seen it. For years I didn’t engage in it and finally got sick of being nice in the face of being reduced to whatever their warped stereotype is of whatever they imagine I am. After a bit of indulging in having the proverbial chess match with a pigeon I shouldn’t have done it. The pieces are scattered everywhere, the board has pigeon shit all over it, and the pigeon is strutting around like he won. That’s the long way around the barn of saying it’s best to just not take the bait and let the other guy show what an asshole he is. Take that for whatever it’s worth. There are some good folks here. There are some assholes too. Better to not be one of them.🍺

I appreciate you saying all that.
And was just watching this lex fridman clip, and i think youve mentioned him.....he was talking about drinking booze and how it signifies exploring the wild side of life......which is a thing good in this scenario...compared to constantly trying to sanitize and disasterproof your life.
Then he said "if you are constsntly trying to optimize your life, youre missing out on all the fun stuff". Which hit home to me.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

When I studied voting machines, back in the mid-00's, one of the things that worried me was preventing denial of service (DOS) attacks. It never occurred to me that the people with custody of the machines would sabotage their own secure equipment in such a crude manner:

Watkins had screwed up: the video he’d posted had included a unique password, one that had allowed the secretary of state’s office to identify the county in which the leak had occurred: “It turns out the election hacker was not Antifa or a Hugo Chavez apparition but a real live human in the office of Mesa County Clerk and Recorder Tina Peters,” the outlet reported.
The point is an attack on constitutional democracy.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:57 am
When I studied voting machines, back in the mid-00's, one of the things that worried me was preventing denial of service (DOS) attacks. It never occurred to me that the people with custody of the machines would sabotage their own secure equipment in such a crude manner:

Watkins had screwed up: the video he’d posted had included a unique password, one that had allowed the secretary of state’s office to identify the county in which the leak had occurred: “It turns out the election hacker was not Antifa or a Hugo Chavez apparition but a real live human in the office of Mesa County Clerk and Recorder Tina Peters,” the outlet reported.

Whacky and messed up. No surprise in a place like GJ. That place is a conglomeration of people on the entire spectrum, even off the spectrum. There is big oil there, plus every nature and recreational opportunity imaginable plus great weather. So you have full on Maga trumpers, very in your face, and you have some hippies, even eco terrorists, i know them theyve done some real live Heyduke shit. All of that in a pretty small place.
The place smells like a combination of pichulli oil and Morgen Wallen. Ive followed the divisive politics and activism that goes on there for a couple decades now and know folk on both sides of that made up english fence.
I could argue its a mirror on the divide of rural vs urban. Nature vs non nature. Whatever. Being played out in real time in one small geoghrahical region.
My duaghter just went to volleyball camp at mesa state u. It was quite culture shocking for the resort town girl to spend that much time around girls from rural towns from all over. Like, really shocking. Now she knows her cousins from Texas are all over western colorado.
Plus, f anyone that screws w an election. Just my 2cents.

John A Arkansawyer

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:26 am
The place smells like a combination of pichulli oil and Morgen Wallen.
I know that combo smell! But I never can remember: Which one is sulfur and which one is brimstone?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:30 am
spending five straight days with my daughter on a trip like that, just before she enters high school? Priceless and unforgettable.
I try not to take show trips too far from home for which I don't have some other reason, and the Salt Lake City show was no exception*. I was so glad to see my favorite cousin, who I hadn't seen since we buried my dad's ashes, and spend time with her. I was very bummed the show was rained out, but I felt sorrier for the people who got soaked than I did for my own dry, yet equally-Rock-Show-denied ass. I'd at least gotten a really good visit in with a dear relative. She took me to Chuck-A-Rama and terrified me by telling me to turn down SH 93--"We'll have an adventure!" That road is terrifying! What fun.

I also did discover a pretty great sandwich on the way home:

If you're in or near Burlington, Colorado, check this place out! If I could remember the place in Utah with the amazingly thick bacon--but I can't.

*I do make them. This wasn't one of them.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sometimes I wonder whether Haiti should just give up - send its people to various places around the world and just shut the lights. No, I am not seriously suggesting that, but damn, it's a never ending mountain of troubles there.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:49 am
boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:26 am
The place smells like a combination of pichulli oil and Morgen Wallen.
I know that combo smell! But I never can remember: Which one is sulfur and which one is brimstone?

Kid Rock is sulfur and the dreadlocked hippie fire dancing girls, that torch hearts for fun, are the brimstone.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:57 am

Shaking my head. This is bad, bad stuff, especially when combined w/ the attack on voting rights unleashed by the Supreme Court and the orgy of gerrymandering about to commence. No democracy can stand for long when a significant number of elected officials participate in undermining elections and a substantial majority of the electorate has no confidence in the fairness and security of elections, even if they reach that point from opposite directions. i think we're fast approaching a tipping point.

Related: Each member of the House will now represent approximately 770,000 people. This is absurd and bears no relation to what the Founders had in mind.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:57 am
If you're in or near Burlington, Colorado, check this place out!
Sounds like reason enough to be in or near Burlington, Colorado.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:31 pm
That fucking sandwich was huge! It took both hands till very near the end. And it was delicious. I normally reject mayo of any sort but decided to take this one on faith. It was a good decision, better than my last lunch with my cousin, wherein I assumed chicken and portobello would make Alfredo sauce taste good. I ate maybe half the plate, then picked out the protein bits so as not to be a wasteful bum. I don't blame the cook or the restaurant. It was pure hubris on my part.

John A Arkansawyer

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:19 pm
Kid Rock is sulfur and the dreadlocked hippie fire dancing girls, that torch hearts for fun, are the brimstone.
That makes sense!

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:31 pm

That place looks awesome, and good for them for their sourcing practices,
I need me some pigs

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:44 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:19 pm
That makes sense!

Classic. I defenitly have a type. If i find myself jiving with an attractive lady for more than 2 minutes, i automatically assume A. Shes from the northwest. B. Her dad was in vietnam. C. Her mom is a drop dead gorgeous hippie type and likely still physically attractive.

So then i look her right in the eye and tell her i have to go, that this would never work. Why? She asks. Because i love you. Youre welcome. Then i come get on here because i dont have pigs or a girlfriend. Now you know.
So i dont like to combine wannabe hippies with real cowboys anymore. Neither are to be tamed.
I do like being friends with them now though. They are rad chicks.
I knocked one up too. The result is a girl being raised by a "liberal ass mom" and "this guy" for a dad (her words)
.......and shes a 14 yr old who has a decent understanding of the why behind the cowboy vs hippie divide, and its beautiful.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

https://dailycallernewsfoundation.org/2 ... an-cartel/

I dont know anything about this news site but came across this. Its related current topics at hand.

Dea officials being intstructed to not say mexican cartel is just beyond classic. What, is that offensive to mexican cartels?

The same administration also decided to roll out the term "migrant detention facility" i am sure the actual babies in the actual cages are resting easy now. Not so coincedentally its the same admin that built said cages for babies. Please fact check that because i could be wrong,

Why do i care and why is it relevant and why do i think its dangerous to try to use softer words to hide the ugly truth?
Because i believe its dangerous and does not make for a better society long term......unironically these are the same people that willy nilly throw around words like racist and homophobe, wether there is any truth to the accusation or not, then the burden proof is on the accused. The dyes been cast. So "you" want to maintain both the ability to use whatever power words you want AND control what words get used when and where according to whatever narrative, errrrrr, distraction from reality, i am currently rolling out.

Why is it dangerous imo? Imo its not actually healthy for the people. At all. Sorry not sorry to bring it up buuuut look no further than the most cosequential word swap of all time...Type 2 diabetes was once literally called Sugar Diabetes. Why was that switch made? No desire to re hash those facts but will if you ask.
How have things gone since that exact moment? Could a whacky anti vaxxer like, say, me, hypothesize that when the corn syrup pandemic was born? Yes. Its all consipracy. Til it turns out to be true.
All that coupled with, now everyone also has indoor plumbing.....no more pulling your boots on in the rain to shit in disgusting outhouse, and you really dont have to put too much thought into your choices. A 2nd glass of fresh apple juice gran gran? Sure. Theres heated porcelain to sit on just ten feet away, no goloshes or 2nd thoughts required.

So those are just my inferences based on what ive seen. My grandma, who survived the dustbowl would call me crazy too. She knew the difference between dustbowl livin and a sealed off house with heated porcelain and gauranteed shed take the latter.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:04 pm
https://dailycallernewsfoundation.org/2 ... an-cartel/

I dont know anything about this news site but came across this. Its related current topics at hand.

Dea officials being intstructed to not say mexican cartel is just beyond classic. What, is that offensive to mexican cartels?

The same administration also decided to roll out the term "migrant detention facility" i am sure the actual babies in the actual cages are resting easy now. Not so coincedentally its the same admin that built said cages for babies. Please fact check that because i could be wrong,

Why do i care and why is it relevant and why do i think its dangerous to try to use softer words to hide the ugly truth?
Because i believe its dangerous and does not make for a better society long term......unironically these are the same people that willy nilly throw around words like racist and homophobe, wether there is any truth to the accusation or not, then the burden proof is on the accused. The dyes been cast. So "you" want to maintain both the ability to use whatever power words you want AND control what words get used when and where according to whatever narrative, errrrrr, distraction from reality, i am currently rolling out.

Why is it dangerous imo? Imo its not actually healthy for the people. At all. Sorry not sorry to bring it up buuuut look no further than the most cosequential word swap of all time...Type 2 diabetes was once literally called Sugar Diabetes. Why was that switch made? No desire to re hash those facts but will if you ask.
How have things gone since that exact moment? Could a whacky anti vaxxer like, say, me, hypothesize that when the corn syrup pandemic was born? Yes. Its all consipracy. Til it turns out to be true.
All that coupled with, now everyone also has indoor plumbing.....no more pulling your boots on in the rain to shit in disgusting outhouse, and you really dont have to put too much thought into your choices. A 2nd glass of fresh apple juice gran gran? Sure. Theres heated porcelain to sit on just ten feet away, no goloshes or 2nd thoughts required.

So those are just my inferences based on what ive seen. My grandma, who survived the dustbowl would call me crazy too. She knew the difference between dustbowl livin and a sealed off house with heated porcelain and gauranteed shed take the latter.
I love this post. I despise the substitution of softer words for harder truths. And the degree to which we are now comfortable with censorship and openly talking about curbing free speech rights is appalling. Once a person’s speech can be controlled their thoughts can be controlled. I would argue that is the objective. As unpleasant as certain truths may be to not give them voice is worse. Speaking the truth leads to the best of all possible outcomes. That doesn’t mean the outcome is pleasant or that it’s comfortable or something anyone is going to like. It just means of all possible outcomes it is least horrible. This is why I will not budge on the transgender issue.
Call yourself whatever you want. Live however you want. But I’m not going to say that you are what you think you are because it isn’t true and being called a bigot for it is nonsense.

We’re awfully fond of hyperbole these days as much as the softer euphemisms you mention. which is how we get people referring to those they don’t agree with as nazis and it becoming so commonplace that it’s almost isn’t even noticed anymore. It’s also how we get people who don’t know how to use the word literally correctly. Same with the overuse and misapplication of the words racist and racism for anything unpleasant and anyone who won’t just shut up and let us lie.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:

Why is it dangerous imo? Imo its not actually healthy for the people.
I agree with this. You lose me later but that's ok.
Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:47 pm
the degree to which we are now comfortable with censorship and openly talking about curbing free speech rights is appalling. Once a person’s speech can be controlled their thoughts can be controlled.
Cole Younger wrote:
It’s also how we get people who don’t know how to use the word literally correctly. Same with the overuse and misapplication of the words racist and racism for anything unpleasant and anyone who won’t just shut up and let us lie.
I think these are a remarkable 2 sentences. Your mention of the evolution of the meaning of the word "literally" caught my eye because that's pretty high on my pet peeve list. But I don't see how the process by which that is happening/has happened is the same as the process by which the words racist and racism are misused.* FWIW I think it weakens your argument about the latter to compare it to the former because imho it removes the very political context which is really at the heart of your concern about how the terms "racist" and "racism" are thrown around. But it's your argument and you can make it any way you'd like; just providing one person's feedback.

*Taking as true your interpretation of that evolution which I agree with but only to a point.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:11 pm
boyyourself wrote:

Why is it dangerous imo? Imo its not actually healthy for the people.
Cole Younger wrote:
the degree to which we are now comfortable with censorship and openly talking about curbing free speech rights is appalling. Once a person’s speech can be controlled their thoughts can be controlled.
Cole Younger wrote:
It’s also how we get people who don’t know how to use the word literally correctly. Same with the overuse and misapplication of the words racist and racism for anything unpleasant and anyone who won’t just shut up and let us lie.
I think these are a remarkable 2 sentences. Your mention of the evolution of the meaning of the word "literally" caught my eye because that's pretty high on my pet peeve list. But I don't see how the process by which that is happening/has happened is the same as the process by which the words racist and racism are misused.* FWIW I think it weakens your argument about the latter to compare it to the former because imho it removes the very political context which is really at the heart of your concern about how the terms "racist" and "racism" are thrown around. But it's your argument and you can make it any way you'd like; just providing one person's feedback.

*Taking as true your interpretation of that evolution which I agree with but only to a point.
You may be right. You’re probably right. But I don’t understand exactly. I guess to me it’s the misapplication and overuse of words. It seems that the word racist is hurled about as a way to silence people as is accusing them of racism. One example was the accusation that saying something negative about China is racist. That’s a leap just on its face if we care about what the word actually means but that’s especially true when we go a half step farther and recognize China is country and being Chinese is a nationality. Chinese is not a race. To me that’s not far from using the word literally in conjunction with some pejorative in an effort to silence someone. “He is literally Hitler.”

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:24 pm
You may be right. You’re probably right. But I don’t understand exactly. I guess to me it’s the misapplication and overuse of words. It seems that the word racist is hurled about as a way to silence people as is accusing them of racism. One example was the accusation that saying something negative about China is racist. That’s a leap just on its face if we care about what the word actually means but that’s especially true when we go a half step farther and recognize China is country and being Chinese is a nationality. Chinese is not a race. To me that’s not far from using the word literally in conjunction with some pejorative in an effort to silence someone. “He is literally Hitler.”
Up to the last sentence, what you're saying is pretty much what I meant by "the political context." As you use "literally Hitler" I agree, that is the same thing. I was thinking of the misuse of literally far more broadly in many other contexts like "I literally went deaf" or "he's literally as big as a cow." In general, the use of the word "literally" to modify a simile or metaphor just makes me literally bang my head against the wall. But I digress. In your example, I agree w/ you.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
why do i think its dangerous to try to use softer words to hide the ugly truth?
Cole Younger wrote:
I despise the substitution of softer words for harder truths.
Just because I have a few minutes to kill I thought I'd go a little deeper into why I can't follow you to the absolutes you suggest. Ever use "passed away" for die? "She has a pretty face" for she's fat? "Bless his heart" for a half dozen things that aren't nearly so sweet? "He's nice" for he's the most boring non-entity I've ever met? Euphemisms have their place and inevitably (I think, anyway) we end up talking about line drawing rather than absolute principles, which is another way of saying this is a harder topic than your suggestions of absolutes imply. Note that it also works in reverse. Sometimes people use words like wop, spic or kike instead of Italian, Puerto Rican or Jew and some of those people brag about how they're just telling it like it is and won't be intimidated into being polite or euphemistic (being wrong is seldom a concern for folks in this category). Please note, I am not in any way saying you do this or approve of it, I'm just saying that the issue has more complexities than might be immediately apparent.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:30 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:24 pm
Up to the last sentence, what you're saying is pretty much what I meant by "the political context." As you use "literally Hitler" I agree, that is the same thing. I was thinking of the misuse of literally far more broadly in many other contexts like "I literally went deaf" or "he's literally as big as a cow." In general, the use of the word "literally" to modify a simile or metaphor just makes me literally bang my head against the wall. But I digress. In your example, I agree w/ you.
🤣Remember that thread we used to have about things that got on our nerves? We need to bring that sucker back.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:16 pm
boyyourself wrote:
why do i think its dangerous to try to use softer words to hide the ugly truth?
Cole Younger wrote:
I despise the substitution of softer words for harder truths.
Just because I have a few minutes to kill I thought I'd go a little deeper into why I can't follow you to the absolutes you suggest. Ever use "passed away" for die? "She has a pretty face" for she's fat? "Bless his heart" for a half dozen things that aren't nearly so sweet? "He's nice" for he's the most boring non-entity I've ever met? Euphemisms have their place and inevitably (I think, anyway) we end up talking about line drawing rather than absolute principles, which is another way of saying this is a harder topic than your suggestions of absolutes imply. Note that it also works in reverse. Sometimes people use words like wop, spic or kike instead of Italian, Puerto Rican or Jew and some of those people brag about how they're just telling it like it is and won't be intimidated into being polite or euphemistic (being wrong is seldom a concern for folks in this category). Please note, I am not in any way saying you do this or approve of it, I'm just saying that the issue has more complexities than might be immediately apparent.
Yeah I see what you mean. The slurs are extreme examples I think because they don’t convey truth. But I get where you’re going with it.