The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:56 pm
I know I'm supposed to be old and mature and beyond this sort of thing but I can't help it. It annoys the hell out of me that the same people who insisted that the government can't tell a baker how to choose (or not choose) his customers are the same people passing laws telling business owners that they can't choose (or not choose) their customers. Because I guess unmasked and unvaccinated customers are a lot less dangerous to the health and prosperity of those business owners than coming within 6 feet of homosexuals. If they were at least consistent, I might actually consider the possibility that they're motivated by real principle but they don't even bother to pretend anymore so why should I?
I'm equally annoyed. Those who said that you can't tell a private business that they must allow all customers are now mad that private businesses are not allowing all customers.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:17 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
I know I'm supposed to be old and mature and beyond this sort of thing but I can't help it. It annoys the hell out of me that the same people who insisted that the government can't tell a baker how to choose (or not choose) his customers are the same people passing laws telling business owners that they can't choose (or not choose) their customers. Because I guess unmasked and unvaccinated customers are a lot less dangerous to the health and prosperity of those business owners than coming within 6 feet of homosexuals. If they were at least consistent, I might actually consider the possibility that they're motivated by real principle but they don't even bother to pretend anymore so why should I?
I'm equally annoyed. Those who said that you can't tell a private business that they must allow all customers are now mad that private businesses are not allowing all customers.
If you want consistency, have I got a third party for you. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:38 am
Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Consistently losing every election?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

That Andy Cuomo is a real creeper.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

LBRod wrote:
Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
Won’t ever gain traction like we’d like, man. There is no telling anyone what they must or can’t do involved. To a lot of this
country there’s no point in a political party if you can’t sick it on anyone and use it to force someone to do what you want them to
do.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:15 pm
100%

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:28 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
100%
The face of the Who, Me? movement. It's fish or cut bait time.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:35 pm
Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
100%
Look, the guy is certainly a creep and I'm not going to defend him. But pardon me if I'm more than a little cynical about the way this is going down. It seems inevitable that Cuomo will jump or be pushed and so be it. But when I think of all the politicians who are still in office despite failings at least as great it's hard to view any of this as anything other than one more act in a long running political theater. Which is not to say that some who are calling for his resignation aren't serious; just that the "net net" of the thing is pretty close to zero.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:35 pm
Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
100%
Look, the guy is certainly a creep and I'm not going to defend him. But pardon me if I'm more than a little cynical about the way this is going down. It seems inevitable that Cuomo will jump or be pushed and so be it. But when I think of all the politicians who are still in office despite failings at least as great it's hard to view any of this as anything other than one more act in a long running political theater. Which is not to say that some who are calling for his resignation aren't serious; just that the "net net" of the thing is pretty close to zero.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
True and there's a fair amount of appeal in that. But then you get to the can't please all the people all the time part, which is sometimes libertarians are too consistent, sticking to their principles when practical realities call for different approaches (imho of course). It's a tough crowd out there :)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

So the President calls out the governor for getting in the way of protecting his people from a contagious disease overtaking his state and the governor comes back with "but immigration." And not just any immigration but immigration in a state a thousand miles away.

Do voters actually stand for this? Do they like it? Do they believe it? As usual I just don't get it. I would think there are enough people getting sick and dying in FL that at the very least a large majority of people would demand seriousness from their elected leaders. Or maybe they think that talking about immigration in another state is in fact a serious response to an overwhelming outbreak of a contagious virus in their home state?

I guess we'll see what happens when schools open in FL, which I think is pretty soon. Even if they prefer a governor whose claim to fame is trading insults with the president we'll see if they're willing to put their kids on the front lines to prove a point.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:05 pm
I'd like to welcome this guy to the United States of America. People applying for asylum shouldn't be treated like prisoners, and it sounds like he has 60 days to get where he's going and re-engage with the process at that point. I agree a COVID-19 test would be prudent from a humanitarian and public health perspective.

Meanwhile every business has some snarky sign about how NO ONE WANTS TO WORK ANYMORE. I bet this guy does!
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:14 am

You get used to it. Plus you get to agree with and piss off all the partisan hacks. Often in the same conversation.

Here is my real point. As the democrats and republicans drift ever further away from the center
by pandering to their radical bases, the need for a rational third party increases.
I don't expect any third party to suddenly start winning elections, but if one can
consistently cover the margin of victory in elections, perhaps both parties will start pandering
to the center. I can dream.

Please note that I did not say which third party. While I have definite libertarian tendencies, I am not a Libertarian.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:43 pm
Zip City wrote:

You get used to it. Plus you get to agree with and piss off all the partisan hacks. Often in the same conversation.

Here is my real point. As the democrats and republicans drift ever further away from the center
by pandering to their radical bases, the need for a rational third party increases.
I don't expect any third party to suddenly start winning elections, but if one can
consistently cover the margin of victory in elections, perhaps both parties will start pandering

Please note that I did not say which third party. While I have definite libertarian tendencies, I am not a Libertarian.

The Democrats are not drifting away from center. They elected Joe Fucking Biden for christ's sake

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:32 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
I'd like to welcome this guy to the United States of America. People applying for asylum shouldn't be treated like prisoners, and it sounds like he has 60 days to get where he's going and re-engage with the process at that point. I agree a COVID-19 test would be prudent from a humanitarian and public health perspective.

Meanwhile every business has some snarky sign about how NO ONE WANTS TO WORK ANYMORE. I bet this guy does!
Asylum?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:55 pm
LBRod wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:43 pm
Zip City wrote:

The Democrats are not drifting away from center. They elected Joe Fucking Biden for christ's sake
I know what you mean, Zip but I’m not sure Joe Biden proves your point. Biden is there because they were desperate to be rid of Orange Man. Poor old Bernie got knee capped for the second time because the thought was good old blue collar Joe from
Scranton would have the best chance of getting them back in power. It had nothing to do with Democrats being the least bit centerist.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:57 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Asylum?
Yes, did you watch the video you posted? The translator said "to get the process started for asylum-seeking."
All it takes is one wicked heart, a pile of money, and a chain of folks just doing their jobs

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:01 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

Asylum?
Yes, did you watch the video you posted? The translator said "to get the process started for asylum-seeking."
I know. Did you not hear the word illegal?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:04 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Asylum?
That's this ideologue's interpretation of who these people are. If the guy has papers from the Border Patrol and hasn't been deported, perhaps we should assume there might be a reason for that. We have well-established processes to seek asylum in this country. If he stays beyond those 60 days without re-engaging, at that point he would be here without authorization and would, per the paper he has, be subject to removal.

This "citizen-journalist" gets to just decide who's "illegal" and who's not? Based on what? Sounds about white...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:07 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

That's this ideologue's interpretation of who these people are. If the guy has papers from the Border Patrol and hasn't been deported, perhaps we should assume there might be a reason for that. We have well-established processes to seek asylum in this country. If he stays beyond those 60 days without re-engaging, at that point he would be here without authorization and would, per the paper he has, be subject to removal.

This "citizen-journalist" gets to just decide who's "illegal" and who's not? Based on what? Sounds about white...
Oh. You’re one of those people that thinks everything you dont like is racist. Ok. So laws can’t apply in the cases of black and Hispanic people because they need white guys like you to take care of them. Ten four. What is funny to me is the democrats hate immigration laws being enforced because they think they’re importing a permanent voting majority but it seems like it isn’t Turing out that way. How many people should we allow into this country? As many as want to come? Besides those pesky Cubans who hate big government?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:12 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Oh. You’re one of those people that thinks everything you dont like is racist. Ok. So laws can’t apply in the cases of black and Hispanic people because they need white guys like you to take care of them. Ten four. What is funny to me is the democrats hate immigration laws being enforced because they think they’re importing a permanent voting majority but it seems like it isn’t Turing out that way. How many people should we allow into this country? As many as want to come? Besides those pesky Cubans who hate big government?
I'm not a Democrat, but keep on rollin'.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

Did I say you were?

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:13 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Did I say you were?
"White guys like you to take care of them" segueing into an unrelated screed about Democrats importing future voters...I guess I made the connection. A thousand apologies.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:15 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

Did I say you were?
"White guys like you to take care of them" segueing into an unrelated screed about Democrats importing future voters...I guess I made the connection. A thousand apologies.
Are all white guys democrats? Keep chasing your tail brother.😆

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:17 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Did I say you were?
You have evidence that this guy is here illegally? Seems like he presented himself to the Border Patrol and got paperwork allowing him to pursue an asylum case. Those are tough to win. Good luck to him. The fact that his president was just assassinated certainly speaks to some instability though.

Do you think we shouldn't have an asylum system? Why do we assume this guy isn't doing it by the book based on a video posted by a source with an axe to grind? That seems like a more interesting conversation than what the Democrats' long-term plans are or whether I am a member of that tribe.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:20 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

You have evidence that this guy is here illegally? Seems like he presented himself to the Border Patrol and got paperwork allowing him to pursue an asylum case. Those are tough to win. Good luck to him. The fact that his president was just assassinated certainly speaks to some instability though.

Do you think we shouldn't have an asylum system? Why do we assume this guy isn't doing it by the book based on a video posted by a source with an axe to grind? That seems like a more interesting conversation than what the Democrats' long-term plans are or whether I am a member of that tribe.
What are you yelling about? Do I think we should have an asylum system? Yes. I can think that and also think there is ample opportunity for it to exploited for political reasons. If the folks in this video are on the up and up then like you said, best of luck to them. But just because someone is wanting to get into this country I don’t feel it’s owed to them no matter what. Not everything you do t like is driven by racism.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:33 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

What are you yelling about? Do I think we should have an asylum system? Yes. I can think that and also think there is ample opportunity for it to exploited for political reasons. If the folks in this video are on the up and up then like you said, best of luck to them. But just because someone is wanting to get into this country I don’t feel it’s owed to them no matter what. Not everything you do t like is driven by racism.
I'm not yelling about anything. I didn't use an exclamation point or a curse word or really anything indicating much strong emotion, as far as I can tell.

You posted a video of a guy who decided he was empowered to call people "illegals" without knowing anything about their story and then asking one of them a bunch of questions, which the guy graciously answered. This was intended to prove some sort of point, presumably, but it's unclear what that point is. If the guy is, in fact, Haitian, it can't have been very easy for him to get to Del Rio, Texas. Things can't be great for him back home. We have systems in place to deal with these circumstances, and I sincerely hope that the system delivers the right outcome in this case based on a fair reading of the facts.

Am I still yelling?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:39 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Mundane Mayhem wrote:

I'm not yelling about anything. I didn't use an exclamation point or a curse word or really anything indicating much strong emotion, as far as I can tell.

You posted a video of a guy who decided he was empowered to call people "illegals" without knowing anything about their story and then asking one of them a bunch of questions, which the guy graciously answered. This was intended to prove some sort of point, presumably, but it's unclear what that point is. If the guy is, in fact, Haitian, it can't have been very easy for him to get to Del Rio, Texas. Things can't be great for him back home. We have systems in place to deal with these circumstances, and I sincerely hope that the system delivers the right outcome in this case based on a fair reading of the facts.

Am I still yelling?
It was posted to make the point that Ron DeSantis had a point relative to the vaccine dust up from the same folks who have no regard to who comes into the country.

Mundane Mayhem

Post by Mundane Mayhem »

Cole Younger wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:40 pm
Mundane Mayhem wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:39 pm
Cole Younger wrote:

Am I still yelling?
It was posted to make the point that Ron DeSantis had a point relative to the vaccine dust up from the same folks who have no regard to who comes into the country.
Gotcha. Well, I conceded immediately that the guy should've been covid-tested. I'll go a step further and say he should be offered a vaccine, if he's into that.