The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by pearlbeer »

Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:14 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:13 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:06 am

Biden supporters-The old administration was the worst thing in our nation’s history. Anyone and everyone who supported and supports it must be dealt with and punished and we must never let those people win another election. By any means necessary.

People are full of shit and if they were honest they would just say what they really care about is their side having a total grip on power forever and they want to use it to crush anyone they don’t like. That’s the truth. After screaming “Resist!” for four years now the same people call for “healing” and “unity”. It’s bullshit. It’s funny though.
Damn, Cole.

1) This is a pretty dim and depressing world view. I know you better. I know you hope for a better place for everyone.

2) Seems like you are taking the "there are BAD people on both sides..." position. But you are making some extraordinary stretches to falsify that equivocality. There is BAD shit in there that just can't be compared, or tolerated. So, see point number one again...I just don't believe you believe that.
A dim world view? Man it hasn’t been long ago that people were posting here daily “I’ve lost all hope. We’re so fucked. America is over.” Just because they didn’t like the president. I told y’all four years ago you would be back on top soon enough and I’ll be damned, the Democrats control everything again and now suddenly everything is ok. That kind of stuff is beyond its shelf life.

No I’m not saying that’s my view. It absolutely is not. I’m saying it’s the view of damn near everyone on the two teams. All I want is for people to be able to live their lives and be left alone. Left alone by the government and left alone by these idiots on both sides that think they have a right, no a moral obligation, to go after those they think are wrong. I’m sick of it. And I’m sick of the pretenses about just wanting a “greater good”. No they don’t. They want unlimited power as long as their side has it. I have long since stopped caring about democrat and Republican. They both hate us. All of us. Except for whatever degree they can make useful idiots of us. That is plain to see. I’m not going to even entertain a discussion about one being not as bad as the other. But more than that I’m done with left and right or liberal and conservative. Because what I’ve come to realize is most of them regardless of what side they fall on are bullshit liars and only want their side to win and they really don’t care how that happens and could give a damn how many people’s lives are ruined in pursuit of the “victory”.

I don’t care what someone’s political views are. You know what that makes me? A fucking unicorn. Or a Sasquatch would probably be more accurate in my case. It seems like now days everybody looks at everything through the filter of politics. They want to shut anyone up who says anything they don’t like or agree with and couldn’t care less what that might eventually lead to at some point. We can’t let people say certain things because we don’t like what they say and I guess we are so damn weak as a nation now that words will damage us. Personally I’m all for everyone saying what they want to say. I don’t have to like it. Lord knows the little brownie troop here that gets triggered by things that I say don’t hold back much. I DONT CARE. Bad ideas need to be heard. If they’re driven underground it will be much worse in the long run. But oh, we mustn’t let people speak. Even though we’ve blown smoke about the importance of free speech for years, now it’s different. Bullshit. I’m sick of this bullshit game and I’m sick and tired of the intellectual cowardice and dishonesty of so many people. And from my perspective if you shake an ideologically possessed lefty and righty out of the same sack you just about can’t sort them out. They both want to dominate the other. And it is not for some lofty purpose. It’s a naked and feral desire for power.

Let a conservative say they are willing to give a listen to a more liberal idea and watch what happens. Let a liberal call out the left on some of their bull shit. They’ll get crucified. Canceled if you will. That’s cowardly is what it is and it’s why I’m done with all the bullshit labels and both political parties. All these people want is power. Eric Holder and I don’t agree on much but when he said we are a nation of cowards he was dead right. All I can do is laugh. People quibbling over which master for themselves would be better. Getting outraged over what somebody said on social media? Do these morons not have real problems? Fighting over who is worse, Fox News or CNN, fuck you, who cares?

People aren’t opposed to the loss of civil liberties they are just opposed to their guy or team not getting to choose which ones get taken from who. And then want to jerk each other off about how they care about this or that and how they know what’s best for everyone. Most of them have a fucking train wreck for a personal life, how in the world have they got their head so far up their ass that they think they know what’s best for the country and are able to have the moral certitude to attack others on that basis? They can all fuck off. I wouldn’t piss on them to put them out. Rant over.

It’s a bull shit ass game and Im tired of it.
I get it, and largely feel the same way. I'm infinitely frustrated with the system and most of the people we've elected. However, as a democrat/liberal/snowflake (or whatever you want to label me), I'm offended that you seem to be lumping me, my people and my ideas into "both/ALL sides suck, fuck them!" category.

Assholes are abound, on all sides at all times. We should be suspicious of those who seek power. Those that hold power should be held accountable. Like them or not...they affect your life, and more importantly the lives of your kids. (i think you have some? can't remember)

BUT...

Don't give me that 'all politicians suck' bullshit. It is a lazy argument. And it's dangerous. There are assholes...then there are racists. There are assholes..and there are domestic terrorists. ETC. Don't give these people the courtesy of lumping them into the asshole category - they don't deserve it. Fuck them. THEN go fight the assholes.

IMO, regardless of your political beliefs and differences of policy opinion, you have a lot to be proud of in Georgia. Your two new Senators seem to be decent, good people who are in politics for something other than themselves. Now, we will see how that plays out over the next six years, and you'll have to hold them to account, but they certainly don't seem like something well beyond asshole. (again IMO, your other options were at least somewhat past asshole). I'm jealous...look at what I'm saddled with here in Texas. I'm represented by at least one Senator who I don't think believes in Democracy and has violated his oath of office. (Spoiler: Ted Cruz). Also, Fuck Ted Cruz.

Was I one of the chickens screaming the sky was falling during the Orange Man's reign? Guilty. His words scared me. He seemed to be capable of something well beyond asshole. Then I started judging his actions...which WERE scary and had a profound impact on my family's health, safety and liberty. So, I don't think it is at all fair, at least at this point to equivalize the left and right responses.

And, just to sum it all up, because it can't be said often enough...Fuck Ted Cruz. On his best day that guy couldn't climb his way up to asshole.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

Flea

Post by Flea »

Cole Younger wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:06 am

Biden supporters-The old administration was the worst thing in our nation’s history. Anyone and everyone who supported and supports it must be dealt with and punished and we must never let those people win another election. By any means necessary.

People are full of shit and if they were honest they would just say what they really care about is their side having a total grip on power forever and they want to use it to crush anyone they don’t like. That’s the truth. After screaming “Resist!” for four years now the same people call for “healing” and “unity”. It’s bullshit. It’s funny though.
Damn, Cole.

1) This is a pretty dim and depressing world view. I know you better. I know you hope for a better place for everyone.

2) Seems like you are taking the "there are BAD people on both sides..." position. But you are making some extraordinary stretches to falsify that equivocality. There is BAD shit in there that just can't be compared, or tolerated. So, see point number one again...I just don't believe you believe that.
A dim world view? Man it hasn’t been long ago that people were posting here daily “I’ve lost all hope. We’re so fucked. America is over.” Just because they didn’t like the president. I told y’all four years ago you would be back on top soon enough and I’ll be damned, the Democrats control everything again and now suddenly everything is ok. That kind of stuff is beyond its shelf life.

No I’m not saying that’s my view. It absolutely is not. I’m saying it’s the view of damn near everyone on the two teams. All I want is for people to be able to live their lives and be left alone. Left alone by the government and left alone by these idiots on both sides that think they have a right, no a moral obligation, to go after those they think are wrong. I’m sick of it. And I’m sick of the pretenses about just wanting a “greater good”. No they don’t. They want unlimited power as long as their side has it. I have long since stopped caring about democrat and Republican. They both hate us. All of us. Except for whatever degree they can make useful idiots of us. That is plain to see. I’m not going to even entertain a discussion about one being not as bad as the other. But more than that I’m done with left and right or liberal and conservative. Because what I’ve come to realize is most of them regardless of what side they fall on are bullshit liars and only want their side to win and they really don’t care how that happens and could give a damn how many people’s lives are ruined in pursuit of the “victory”.

I don’t care what someone’s political views are. You know what that makes me? A fucking unicorn. Or a Sasquatch would probably be more accurate in my case. It seems like now days everybody looks at everything through the filter of politics. They want to shut anyone up who says anything they don’t like or agree with and couldn’t care less what that might eventually lead to at some point. We can’t let people say certain things because we don’t like what they say and I guess we are so damn weak as a nation now that words will damage us. Personally I’m all for everyone saying what they want to say. I don’t have to like it. Lord knows the little brownie troop here that gets triggered by things that I say don’t hold back much. I DONT CARE. Bad ideas need to be heard. If they’re driven underground it will be much worse in the long run. But oh, we mustn’t let people speak. Even though we’ve blown smoke about the importance of free speech for years, now it’s different. Bullshit. I’m sick of this bullshit game and I’m sick and tired of the intellectual cowardice and dishonesty of so many people. And from my perspective if you shake an ideologically possessed lefty and righty out of the same sack you just about can’t sort them out. They both want to dominate the other. And it is not for some lofty purpose. It’s a naked and feral desire for power.

Let a conservative say they are willing to give a listen to a more liberal idea and watch what happens. Let a liberal call out the left on some of their bull shit. They’ll get crucified. Canceled if you will. That’s cowardly is what it is and it’s why I’m done with all the bullshit labels and both political parties. All these people want is power. Eric Holder and I don’t agree on much but when he said we are a nation of cowards he was dead right. All I can do is laugh. People quibbling over which master for themselves would be better. Getting outraged over what somebody said on social media? Do these morons not have real problems? Fighting over who is worse, Fox News or CNN, fuck you, who cares?

People aren’t opposed to the loss of civil liberties they are just opposed to their guy or team not getting to choose which ones get taken from who. And then want to jerk each other off about how they care about this or that and how they know what’s best for everyone. Most of them have a fucking train wreck for a personal life, how in the world have they got their head so far up their ass that they think they know what’s best for the country and are able to have the moral certitude to attack others on that basis? They can all fuck off. I wouldn’t piss on them to put them out. Rant over.

2 points:

1. Eric Holder and I don’t agree on much but when he said we are a nation of cowards he was dead right. All I can do is laugh. People quibbling over which master for themselves would be better.

Excellent observation. I never realized your cynicism ran so deep!

2. What is wrong with ass games?
Now it's dark.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

oilpiers wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:40 pm
The same people who cheered on the riots all summer are still pearl clutching over a slow walk through the White House

Shouldn't this alone invalidate anything he posts for eternity?
Yeah let's cancel someone who said something in an open forum

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

pearlbeer wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:04 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:

Damn, Cole.

I get it, and largely feel the same way. I'm infinitely frustrated with the system and most of the people we've elected. However, as a democrat/liberal/snowflake (or whatever you want to label me), I'm offended that you seem to be lumping me, my people and my ideas into "both/ALL sides suck, fuck them!" category.

Assholes are abound, on all sides at all times. We should be suspicious of those who seek power. Those that hold power should be held accountable. Like them or not...they affect your life, and more importantly the lives of your kids. (i think you have some? can't remember)

BUT...

Don't give me that 'all politicians suck' bullshit. It is a lazy argument. And it's dangerous. There are assholes...then there are racists. There are assholes..and there are domestic terrorists. ETC. Don't give these people the courtesy of lumping them into the asshole category - they don't deserve it. Fuck them. THEN go fight the assholes.

IMO, regardless of your political beliefs and differences of policy opinion, you have a lot to be proud of in Georgia. Your two new Senators seem to be decent, good people who are in politics for something other than themselves. Now, we will see how that plays out over the next six years, and you'll have to hold them to account, but they certainly don't seem like something well beyond asshole. (again IMO, your other options were at least somewhat past asshole). I'm jealous...look at what I'm saddled with here in Texas. I'm represented by at least one Senator who I don't think believes in Democracy and has violated his oath of office. (Spoiler: Ted Cruz). Also, Fuck Ted Cruz.

Was I one of the chickens screaming the sky was falling during the Orange Man's reign? Guilty. His words scared me. He seemed to be capable of something well beyond asshole. Then I started judging his actions...which WERE scary and had a profound impact on my family's health, safety and liberty. So, I don't think it is at all fair, at least at this point to equivalize the left and right responses.

And, just to sum it all up, because it can't be said often enough...Fuck Ted Cruz. On his best day that guy couldn't climb his way up to asshole.
I climbed up to asshole once and I liked how that shit smelled. So I joined the club. Haven't had a problem with long relationships ever since.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:55 am
oilpiers wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:40 pm
The same people who cheered on the riots all summer are still pearl clutching over a slow walk through the White House

Shouldn't this alone invalidate anything he posts for eternity?
Yeah let's cancel someone who said something in an open forum
I didn't say cancel. It is such a stupid comment he made, with zero basis in reality, that I could never take another thing he says seriously. He can say what he wants, but just remember that he thinks the White House was broken into on jan. 6.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

You think it's stupid therefore you think it's invalid. Got it.
Well I think Cole should continue to speak his mind on here because he has a bunch of interesting things to say....beyond personified, cookie cutter, uninteresting takes. Like a lot of folks here. It's pleasantly diverse which is a nice break from unpleasant division.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Well I think Cole should continue to speak his mind on here because he has a bunch of interesting things to say....beyond personified, cookie cutter, uninteresting takes. Like a lot of folks here. It's pleasantly diverse which is a nice break from unpleasant division.

Cole’s takes are as lazy as anyone else’s. They just happen to sound better to your ears
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:00 pm
boyyourself wrote:

Cole’s takes are as lazy as anyone else’s. They just happen to sound better to your ears
Hot take zip

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:32 pm
Zip City wrote:
boyyourself wrote:

Hot take zip
Luke warm at best.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

boyyourself wrote:
Point out EXACTLY where I said "he should not continue to speak." It is simple. If he thinks the White House was stormed on Jan 6, then why would one not take everything he says with a grain of salt? You are arguing a point with me I never made.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Point taken

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

oilpiers wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:03 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Point out EXACTLY where I said "he should not continue to speak." It is simple. If he thinks the White House was stormed on Jan 6, then why would one not take everything he says with a grain of salt? You are arguing a point with me I never made.
So we should have been leery all these years of a certain "57 states" former president.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
boyyourself wrote:

I might disagree with Cole on a bunch of shit, but I hope he keeps posting here. He has principle behind his views even if I think he’s wrong. His perspective is absolutely valuable, as is yours. Echo chambers are worthless.

Hell, I’d argue they’re dangerous.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:51 pm
I might disagree with Cole on a bunch of shit, but I hope he keeps posting here. He has principle behind his views even if I think he’s wrong. His perspective is absolutely valuable, as is yours. Echo chambers are worthless.
Agreed. And having taken the time to know him a little better, I know from having seen it in public he occasionally says things poorly or just plain wrong. And I've seen him make up for it, too--not every time he should have, in my opinion but not in his, which is all you can really expect from a man.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

LBRod wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:40 pm
oilpiers wrote:
boyyourself wrote:
So we should have been leery all these years of a certain "57 states" former president.
Thats a non sequitur. You are referring to Obama? This was during campaigning in the primaries. Wether he was sleep deprived or not, he was referring to primaries, and used the word states while including territories that have primaries.
The primary and caucus system is the only method in which voters in Puerto Rico, Guam, and other U.S. territories can have a say in the presidential race. Under the U.S. Constitution, U.S. territories are not represented in the Electoral College, and thus voters residing in those areas are basically ineligible to vote in the general election. On the other hand, as stated above, the primaries and caucuses are non-governmental party affairs. Both the Democratic and Republican parties, as well as other third parties, have agreed to let these territories participate in the presidential nomination process.[14] In the two major party's rules, "territories" are referred to as "states", which can be carried over in discussion and media implying there are more than 50 states.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

oilpiers wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:34 am
LBRod wrote:
oilpiers wrote:

Thats a non sequitur. You are referring to Obama? This was during campaigning in the primaries. Wether he was sleep deprived or not, he was referring to primaries, and used the word states while including territories that have primaries.
The primary and caucus system is the only method in which voters in Puerto Rico, Guam, and other U.S. territories can have a say in the presidential race. Under the U.S. Constitution, U.S. territories are not represented in the Electoral College, and thus voters residing in those areas are basically ineligible to vote in the general election. On the other hand, as stated above, the primaries and caucuses are non-governmental party affairs. Both the Democratic and Republican parties, as well as other third parties, have agreed to let these territories participate in the presidential nomination process.[14] In the two major party's rules, "territories" are referred to as "states", which can be carried over in discussion and media implying there are more than 50 states.
It's not non sequitter. We are discussing the issues related to the various political tribes.

Obama lost me after the "can't we just all get along and have a beer" summit.
I was quite disappointed in him for pushing race relations backwards, particularly because I voted for him because I thought that things would improve
BECAUSE there was a black guy. I call that a thinking error on my part. He empowered nobody.
My lesson was learned for this election. It's not empowering to women just by having one as VP IMO. At least that's my perspective in having the duty of empowering my 13 yr old hyper aware daughter. Where I have likely failed mightily here and there, but I'd rather continue to turn inward. Not to corrupt politicians for anything positive or inspiring to glean.
And my message to her is that empowerment comes from accountability.
But then again what the hell do I know.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

boyyourself wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:11 am
oilpiers wrote:
LBRod wrote:

It's not non sequitter. We are discussing the issues related to the various political tribes.

Obama lost me after the "can't we just all get along and have a beer" summit.
I was quite disappointed in him for pushing race relations backwards, particularly because I voted for him because I thought that things would improve
BECAUSE there was a black guy. I call that a thinking error on my part. He empowered nobody.
My lesson was learned for this election. It's not empowering to women just by having one as VP IMO. At least that's my perspective in having the duty of empowering my 13 yr old hyper aware daughter. Where I have likely failed mightily here and there, but I'd rather continue to turn inward. Not to corrupt politicians for anything positive or inspiring to glean.
And my message to her is that empowerment comes from accountability.
But then again what the hell do I know.
Another non sequitter. Your response to me of my response to another poster, has nothing to do with my point. The 57 states thing is bullshit. Has not a thing to do with a beer summit, VP Harris, or your family.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Can't get nothing past the relevance police around here

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

boyyourself wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:55 pm
Can't get nothing past the relevance police around here
Relevance Police? You continue to respond to me with things that have nothing to do with what I say. Why not post them stand alone. Why do you address this to me?

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Point taken. Again.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

boyyourself wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:06 pm
Point taken. Again.
I appreciate that. Both times.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

oilpiers wrote:

Thats a non sequitur. You are referring to Obama? This was during campaigning in the primaries.
I should have taken the easy way and used any of the Trump or Biden misstatements.
Turns out they are all human, as is my friend Cole. So are you and I, John. So it goes.

I do hope your Padres whip the Ducking Fodgers this year.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

LBRod wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:07 pm
oilpiers wrote:

Thats a non sequitur. You are referring to Obama? This was during campaigning in the primaries.
I should have taken the easy way and used any of the Trump or Biden misstatements.
Turns out they are all human.
You don't say? This is a lazy, oversimplified statement.

It turns out that all professional football players are talented. Tom Brady and David Blough are one and the same. They are both NFL quarterbacks who are very talented.

Next question/issue please.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Flea

Post by Flea »

LBRod wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:07 pm
oilpiers wrote:

Turns out they are all human, as is my friend Cole. So are you and I, John. So it goes.

I do hope your Padres whip the Ducking Fodgers this year.
I don't know, Rod, sometimes I wonder about you...
Now it's dark.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:49 am
"Was Jonas Noreika a monster who slaughtered thousands of Jews or a hero who fought to save his country from the Communists?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/27/opin ... 28&segment
Obviously late here but thank you for posting this Bubba.

Ms Foti is right here. Her grandfather can be both. History is about the grey area. No matter how often people want to make it black and white, history forces us to confront the fact that people's natures, motives and actions are rarely simple and often contradictory.

For as long as Russia is a much larger, often aggressive neighbour (so probably forever) Lithuanians will celebrate the people who fought against the Soviets in the 40s. They're right to do that. They're also wrong to do that. Both things are true.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:12 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
"Was Jonas Noreika a monster who slaughtered thousands of Jews or a hero who fought to save his country from the Communists?"

Ms Foti is right here. Her grandfather can be both. History is about the grey area. No matter how often people want to make it black and white, history forces us to confront the fact that people's natures, motives and actions are rarely simple and often contradictory.

For as long as Russia is a much larger, often aggressive neighbour (so probably forever) Lithuanians will celebrate the people who fought against the Soviets in the 40s. They're right to do that. They're also wrong to do that. Both things are true.
Funny, I was just thinking you hadn't been around in a while. Good to see ya.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:47 pm
305 Engine wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:12 pm
beantownbubba wrote:

Funny, I was just thinking you hadn't been around in a while. Good to see ya.
Ive lurked a little but in all honesty, there was a period last year where I spent longer than normal up late and online because (probably for obvious reasons) I had no work to do. Now I have more work to do, so Im spending less time up late and online.

But no, theres no getting rid of me! Good to see you too. I like coming here because it reminds me I still have a ticket for a DBT show in London in June and when life is back to normal I can go to more DBT shows in the states and buy someone one here a drink.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

@boyyourself, cole younger and LBRod:

I'm really curious (straight up, this is not a "gotcha" or rhetorical set up):

What's your take on the "sink or swim" ex-mayor of Colorado City, TX?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:05 pm
@boyyourself, cole younger and LBRod:

I'm really curious (straight up, this is not a "gotcha" or rhetorical set up):

What's your take on the "sink or swim" ex-mayor of Colorado City, TX?
I had to go look it up to understand your reference, Bubba.
So I guess it doesn't mean anything to me.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

After reading what that guy had to say I would infer that he's a piece of shit.