The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

Flea wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:33 pm
I am going to give you the biggest motherfucking hug of your life next time our paths cross.
Promise or threat? The enigma that is Flea.
cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:40 pm
Make sure you wear a rubber (and be careful who you screw).
:lol:
Zip City wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:28 pm
cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:57 pm
What are the long-term health concerns with dousing yourself in gasoline and lighting up a cigarette?
There are no long-term health concerns with that. Short-term, however....
:lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

mostly through this episode, and it's very good and relevant.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:25 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:36 pm
And just healthy people, especially kids, who are barely even being affected, let alone dying, should be a lie to get on with their lives----to protect themselves.
And the entire poulation needs to re think it's habits about how to not be high risk.
I agree with you 1000%....but....unfortunately, this just isn't how this disease works. (See: Sweden)
Curious to know how the example of Sweden is understood/interpreted over in the US.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

RolanK wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:03 pm
pearlbeer wrote:
boyyourself wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:36 pm
And just healthy people, especially kids, who are barely even being affected, let alone dying, should be a lie to get on with their lives----to protect themselves.
And the entire poulation needs to re think it's habits about how to not be high risk.
I agree with you 1000%....but....unfortunately, this just isn't how this disease works. (See: Sweden)
Curious to know how the example of Sweden is understood/interpreted over in the US.
Got any rake recommendations? I hear your neighbors rake the forests over there.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

bovine knievel wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:10 pm
RolanK wrote:
pearlbeer wrote:

Got any rake recommendations? I hear your neighbors rake the forests over there.
Complete misconception that the Swedes rake forests to stop them burning.

They actually roll meatballs through their forests to pick up any leaves. They then sell them to tourists.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

305 Engine wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:26 pm
bovine knievel wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:10 pm
RolanK wrote:

They actually roll meatballs through their forests to pick up any leaves. They then sell them to tourists.
I thought Sweden completely deforested to power Ikea?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

305 Engine wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:26 pm

Aha! The secret ingredient of the IKEA meatballs.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 0efb8453ca

Quoting supermarket manager: “It’s become much harder during the pandemic,” he said. “People will say, ‘I was just hungry.’ And then what do you do?” Well, if you're the government, the answer is easy: You do nothing.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:52 am

That was a fantastic listen. Thank you. I just posted this to Facebook, and I probably haven't posted anything to my Facebook since a month before the Election.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

RolanK wrote:

Serious answer. We likely started with curiosity about a laissez-faire approach, many in the US sited Sweden as a better potential model on how to best handle safety vs. quarantine. As it started playing out, maybe we learned just a bit, but you know...those in glass houses.

tinnitus photography

Iowan wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:48 pm
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:52 am

That was a fantastic listen. Thank you. I just posted this to Facebook, and I probably haven't posted anything to my Facebook since a month before the Election.
it made a lot of sense, didn't it? shows how the media and social media sucks you in.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

A 1944 speech by Judge Learned Hand, surely the best named jurist in history and one of America's greatest judges. It's short, take the 2 minutes to read the whole thing.

“We have gathered here to affirm a faith, a faith in a common purpose, a common conviction, a common devotion. Some of us have chosen America as the land of our adoption; the rest have come from those who did the same. For this reason we have some right to consider ourselves a picked group, a group of those who had the courage to break from the past and brave the dangers and the loneliness of a strange land. What was the object that nerved us, or those who went before us, to this choice? We sought liberty; freedoms from oppression, freedom from want, freedom to be ourselves. This we then sought; this we now believe that we are by way of winning. What do we mean when we say that first of all we seek liberty? I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws and upon courts. These are false hopes; believe me, these are false hopes. Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it. While it lies there it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it. And what is this liberty which must lie in the hearts of men and women? It is not the ruthless, the unbridled will; it is not freedom to do as one likes. That is the denial of liberty, and leads straight to its overthrow. A society in which men recognize no check upon their freedom soon becomes a society where freedom is the possession of only a savage few; as we have learned to our sorrow.
“What then is the spirit of liberty? I cannot define it; I can only tell you my own faith. The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which seeks to understand the mind of other men and women; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which weighs their interests alongside its own without bias; the spirit of liberty remembers that not even a sparrow falls to earth unheeded; the spirit of liberty is the spirit of Him who, near two thousand years ago, taught mankind that lesson it has never learned but never quite forgotten; that there may be a kingdom where the least shall be heard and considered side by side with the greatest. And now in that spirit, that spirit of an America which has never been, and which may never be; nay, which never will be except as the conscience and courage of Americans create it; yet in the spirit of that America which lies hidden in some form in the aspirations of us all; in the spirit of that America for which our young men are at this moment fighting and dying; in that spirit of liberty and of America I ask you to rise and with me pledge our faith in the glorious destiny of our beloved country.”

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

pearlbeer wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:19 pm
RolanK wrote:

Serious answer. We likely started with curiosity about a laissez-faire approach, many in the US sited Sweden as a better potential model on how to best handle safety vs. quarantine. As it started playing out, maybe we learned just a bit, but you know...those in glass houses.
Same thing here, really. Even with deaths per capita in Sweden exceeding more than ten times those of neighboring countries (very similar countries and thus comparable), many are still in favor of their approach, and seem to be willing to pay the price.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:12 am
many are still in favor of their approach, and seem to be willing to pay the price.
If the many in Sweden are like the many in the US, it's more that they're willing to let others pay the price.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:42 pm
RolanK wrote:
many are still in favor of their approach, and seem to be willing to pay the price.
If the many in Sweden are like the many in the US, it's more that they're willing to let others pay the price.
There is something to be said for not crashing the economy, and letting people make their own choices.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

LBRod wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:57 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote:
There is something to be said for not crashing the economy, and letting people make their own choices.
False economy. You delay "crashing" the economy, in order to just wreck the economy later on after your bet didnt pay off. Saving the economy without engaging with the reality of the virus is a fantasy. Saving the economy and beating covid are ultimately the same thing.

Now that we have vaccines available Im not seeing any sensible arguments for not locking down until the shots have been distributed.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Define locking down
Now it's dark.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote:
Hospitals are filling up and the capacity of intensive care units in the large cities is stretched to the point where they are now asking for help assistance from neighboring countries. And how are things working out for Sweden in terms of economy? Is it working?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

tinnitus photography

LBRod wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:
RolanK wrote:
private choices do not override policy when dealing with a public health crisis, imo.

i agree that a sector of the economy took an inordinate amount of punishment from the lockdown, and the govt should have stepped in w/ more support for small restaurants, gyms, music clubs, etc - things that couldn't operate in a safe manner and were forced to close.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So anyone looking for me should look here rather than Facebook. I expressed an opinion which makes me a no-good piece of shit, for which I have apologized and deleted my account there. It was an educational experience I plan not to repeat.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:17 am
So anyone looking for me should look here rather than Facebook. I expressed an opinion which makes me a no-good piece of shit, for which I have apologized and deleted my account there. It was an educational experience I plan not to repeat.
Good for you! I've never had a facebook account & don't plan to. I live just fine without it. I absolutely don't trust Mark Zuckerberg.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sorry I missed it. If you wouldn't mind, what was the subject and nature of the objections?

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I'm 4 years into no Facebook, never once missed it. Enjoy the sanity, JohnAA! TDD - we ain't a billion users strong, but we ain't a dumpster fire neither! The only serious issue we need to tackle is that bet....

tinnitus photography

i actually do enjoy facebook, as it helps keep me connected to people scattered all over the world, in a more cohesive way than instagram or twitter (which i never really use). i think if you can filter out people who are gonna make your feed a dumpster fire (and it's pretty easy to do so), facebook is actually a good time. plenty of really funny friends on there.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:58 am
Sorry I missed it. If you wouldn't mind, what was the subject and nature of the objections?
I never mind and that seems to be the problem.

It's a rare day I don't want to talk about myself and my fucked-up life, but this was a deeply unpleasant experience that has left me wondering exactly how many motherfuckers I don't ever want to speak to again and how many more I don't know there are who I should feel that way about.

It did leave me with one worthwhile realization which had been bubbling up in me for a while: The main reason Red America hates Blue America is that Blue America hates Red America. Bless their hearts, which will never grow any sizes any day.

The one bright side is that after I'd purged myself and relaxed*, a poem fairy** dropped by and offered me some wonderfully scabrous material linking Bill Clinton's craven draft-dodging letter, his segregationist mentor J. William Fulbright, and Monica Lewinski's dress. I'd been almost abandoned by the poem fairy after a three-week period of gates wide open this summer. I'm pretty sure it was Calliope, because the main work was an epic poem. I think she started blowing me off after she whispered some juicy dialog for one of my protagonists and I didn't phase out of job mode to write it down (as that often leads to more writing right goddam then). Can't blame her, really, for reacting to my bad priorities. I was holding out for a little while--got a couple of snippets not on the epic path but didn't write them down, because a boy has his pride, and I wanted the real deal from her, like the guy in Zip City, not the sweet stuff from her sister Euterpe--but then today, after the purge, as I got images that made me laugh, I realized that if I kicked Thalia out of my mind for playing Cracker instead of Camper, I'd regret it. I've always prided my ability to take a joke. So maybe there's a dance in the old dame yet.

Does that answer the question, counselor?

*The only person I know who enjoyed the worst concert experience of my life, the Grateful Dead on Jerry's 40th birthday, was my friend Johnnie who also uses the correct seven-letter spelling. As several of us were comparing the hellish experience after the fact, he chimed in with his not-so-terrible-horrible-not-that-bad day. He was having a really bad time at the show, too. About halfway through, he went to the portapotty and took "a big greasy crap". After that, he had a good time. Apparently that's a good method of self-improvement for seven-letter Johnnies.

**I keep vacillating between the poem fairy and a poem fairy. It seems like all the same girl to me, and yet they bring their own gifts. I suppose when you come down to it, all the muses just spring from memory and power. I'd best get mine on while I still have the prerequisites, fading though they may be.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:03 pm

It did leave me with one worthwhile realization which had been bubbling up in me for a while: The main reason Red America hates Blue America is that Blue America hates Red America. Bless their hearts.
Gotcha. Carry on friend.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:15 pm
i actually do enjoy facebook, as it helps keep me connected to people scattered all over the world, in a more cohesive way than instagram or twitter (which i never really use). i think if you can filter out people who are gonna make your feed a dumpster fire (and it's pretty easy to do so), facebook is actually a good time. plenty of really funny friends on there.
Agree
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

This sounds so snotty, and that's not how I meant it. I'm just very unhappy about the speed with which people I've known for decades started looking for reasons I'm a no-good shit because I stepped out of line. I've got presents bought for people I'm not sure I want to give them to any more. Not happy.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

It's a rare day I don't want to talk about myself and my fucked-up life, but this was a deeply unpleasant experience that has left me wondering exactly how many motherfuckers I don't ever want to speak to again and how many more I don't know there are who I should feel that way about.
Sounds awful. Sorry you had to go through that. Facebook is dangerously seductive and convenient (in the sense that one gives up a lot to get an uncertain return) but I think it has its uses, at least enough for me to stick w/ it despite misgivings. Like you, though, there's only so much shit I can put up with so who knows who long I'll continue.

If you got the muse back as a result, maybe not such a bad trade off? "for playing Cracker instead of Camper." Nice line :)
It did leave me with one worthwhile realization which had been bubbling up in me for a while: The main reason Red America hates Blue America is that Blue America hates Red America. Bless their hearts, which will never grow any sizes any day.
This may be true. The opposite may be true. Either or both may merely be components of larger, more complex stories or maybe either or both are red herrings. Danged if I know. But I do know that this boils down to "he started it," which is to say it's the same dead end it is and has always been in the schoolyard. One more reason to despair.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:19 pm
This sounds so snotty, and that's not how I meant it. I'm just very unhappy about the speed with which people I've known for decades started looking for reasons I'm a no-good shit because I stepped out of line. I've got presents bought for people I'm not sure I want to give them to any more. Not happy.

I did not take it as snotty. I didn't really know how to take it. I did get the anger part which I did not take personally.