The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

boyyourself

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by boyyourself »

pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:44 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:07 pm

Is all of this that different than my original analogy about this pandemic and how it's affecting the population based on how the population has gotten out of hand and unhealthy. High risk people are like the forest, kinds like a tinder box. And we could have done something about it in some other lifetime to avoid these types of worst case scenarios. But we didn't. So now what?
People are still upset at the idea of killing a tree even though it's good for the overall health of the forest. Most people that feel that way have no idea what makes up a healthy forest or soil system I don't think. It's a fantastic notion, not killing a tree, not too dissimilar to the fantastic notion of keeping unhealthy people alive.

Dude...come on...remember the blow back on this attempt to better regulate public health?

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/27/nyre ... sodas.html

Of course all of these issues, wildfires, coivd...the are all nuanced. These are some of the most complicated issues we face. But ignoring the baseline information to chase red herrings is totally irresponsible. We are seeing an increase in wildfires primarily because the earth is warming too quickly and disrupting weather patterns. The primary issue here IS climate change. (period). (I'm deeply aware of decades of poor forest management policies - a problem exacerbated by the main issue). Coivd is a highly transmissible airborne virus that can be most easily mitigated by wearing a mask and practicing social distancing. (period). IMO whataboutism and red herrings are contributing to the problem or limiting our ability to effective solve them.
You are correct in saying a lot of that is your opinion, which I respect, however I disagree with most of what your saying. And all I'm doing is offering mine.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

To me, saying climate change is the primary issue is a flawed. People need to accept responsibility for their part in taking care of this planet. And we as people have not taken care of ourselves or the forest. That's on us.
When I hear someone constantly mention climate change as the main issue then I usually ask what they are doing about it personally.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

boyyourself wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:24 pm
To me, saying climate change is the primary issue is a flawed. People need to accept responsibility for their part in taking care of this planet. And we as people have not taken care of ourselves or the forest. That's on us.
When I hear someone constantly mention climate change as the main issue then I usually ask what they are doing about it personally.
Agreed. My point was the the systemic issue of climate change is magnifying and rapidly accelerating the pre-existing conditions.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:48 pm
:lol:
Did somebody declare this a fact free zone when I wasn't looking?

Plenty of fat people in urban areas. I'm one. But there is not a single state in the USA, not one, where the prevalence of obesity is less than 20% of the population. States with the highest prevalence? I'm glad you asked, because they are urban meccas all:

MS 40.8%
WV 39.7
AR 37.4
OK 36.8
AL 36.1

The only arguably urban states near the top of the list are Indiana at 35.3% and MI at 36%. Oh, and TX? 34%. All data as of 2019 from the CDC.

Let's look at infant mortality. States w/ the highest rates;

MS 8.3%
LA 7.6
AR 7.5
SC 7.2
WV 7.1
AL & GA 7.0

Source: CDC, 2018

Let's try one more. States w/ lowest life expectancy at birth:

WV 74.8 years
MS 74.9
AL 75.4
KY 75.4
AR 75.9
OK 76
TN 76
LA 76.1
SC 77

Source Wikipedia, as of 2018

Notice a trend here?

now that was a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2cELU ... lx6rK2QoLl
I didn't realize this was a competition but I'm glad you're entertained Tinnitus.
I'll take the loss. Personally I got better shit to do than hack on people on what I thought was a forum amongst people who share common ground.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

pearlbeer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:28 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:24 pm
Agreed. My point was the the systemic issue of climate change is magnifying and rapidly accelerating the pre-existing conditions.
Good copy

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

boyyourself wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:36 pm
tinnitus photography wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:48 pm
:lol:
Did somebody declare this a fact free zone when I wasn't looking?

Plenty of fat people in urban areas. I'm one. But there is not a single state in the USA, not one, where the prevalence of obesity is less than 20% of the population. States with the highest prevalence? I'm glad you asked, because they are urban meccas all:

MS 40.8%
WV 39.7
AR 37.4
OK 36.8
AL 36.1

The only arguably urban states near the top of the list are Indiana at 35.3% and MI at 36%. Oh, and TX? 34%. All data as of 2019 from the CDC.

Let's look at infant mortality. States w/ the highest rates;

MS 8.3%
LA 7.6
AR 7.5
SC 7.2
WV 7.1
AL & GA 7.0

Source: CDC, 2018

Let's try one more. States w/ lowest life expectancy at birth:

WV 74.8 years
MS 74.9
AL 75.4
KY 75.4
AR 75.9
OK 76
TN 76
LA 76.1
SC 77

Source Wikipedia, as of 2018

Notice a trend here?

now that was a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2cELU ... lx6rK2QoLl
I didn't realize this was a competition but I'm glad you're entertained Tinnitus.
I'll take the loss. Personally I got better shit to do than hack on people on what I thought was a forum amongst people who share common ground.
i'm just amused by the fact that you were so certain... like, 100% certain. why let facts get in the way of a good story?

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

When did I mention anything about how certain I was? I hear you about being annoyed by certainty. It's a peev of mine. I'm certainly bullshitting and offering my thoughts at the time. I duly appreciate all the responses and questions, y'all mfrs keep me on my toes, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

The World Health Organization has recommended we not hug.
Are we on our knees yet?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:01 am
Are we on our knees yet?
I don't understand this.

What do we expect of public health organizations? I assume (dangerous word, I know) that we expect them to provide up to date information and best practices recommendations related to public health concerns including epidemics. There are 2 possibilities: Either not hugging will increase public health or it won't. I have no idea nor have I looked behind the headlines for the underlying data. But let's assume for the moment that it will. Should the WHO not say so because hugging is a personal, intimate act? Should public health organizations not recommend the use of condoms to help prevent the spread of STD's?

Is there anything about the WHO's recommendation re hugging or in recommendations by numerous public health organizations that sexually active people use condoms that requires anybody to do anything? Leaving aside all the ironic, sophomoric and sarcastic comments that might be made about being on our knees in this context, who is on their knees as a result of this and why? Even before the WHO's announcement I personally had chosen not to hug anyone. Most people I know don't hug and none shake hands (as far as I know anyway). The last time I saw my son I didn't hug him. That made me sad, not oppressed. Nobody from the government was literally or figuratively looking over my shoulder making sure I did or didn't do this or that. I was exercising my personal freedom to keep myself safe according to my own calculations of how to do that based on information available to me. Now there is more information that makes me think I was right to act as I've been acting. I fail to see what the issue or concern is here. Not because I want the government determining who I can hug or when but because the government is not determining who I can hug or when.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

People out of jobs and kids being abused are on their knees. Call it sophomore If you want. And, The World Health Organization? How are they doing? Why should I trust them? And what have they recommended to boost immune systems so as to avoid being high risk?
A human is required 9 hugs a day to stabilize seratonin. Seratonin is a hormone. A human with out of whack hormones is high risk.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

People out of jobs and kids being abused are on their knees. Call it sophomore If you want. And, The World Health Organization? How are they doing? Why should I trust them? And what have they recommended to boost immune systems so as to avoid being high risk?
A human is required 9 hugs a day to stabilize seratonin. Seratonin is a hormone. A human with out of whack hormones is high risk.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Wal Mart, McDonalds, and Amazon are standing tall. Live music venues, restraunts, gyms, Etc etc etc Are on their knees.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Anyone else fucking pissed off about child abuse spikes? Suicide spikes? Etc? Or are we just gonna sit here and say well, this was avoidable if y'all would've worn masks? Fauci said in March that masks weren't necessary. Fuck Biden. Fuck Trump. Fuck Fauci. That's the sandwitch teqnique.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Or are we only allowed to say Fuck Trump around here? Diversity of thought only seems pc so long as you are pro mankind and pro lockdown. Fuck pc.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Protests are ok as long as you agree with the premise of the protest. This last election was close to 50 50, as usual. But that's because half of this country is a dumb racist bigot that won't fall in line with Fauci and Biden? Biggest crock of shit I've ever heard. Yes I'm a little fired up, and I'm ok with that.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:17 am
People out of jobs and kids being abused are on their knees. That's a true statement. But what you first said (or to be precise, what you clearly implied and intended) is that people are or will be on their knees because the WHO recommended not hugging. The connection between your two statements is the question.

You get to choose whether to trust the WHO. I don't care whether you do or don't. I didn't need the WHO to tell me not to hug so in this context I don't care about them either. If you think hugging is beneficial and want to do more of it, go right ahead. I think differently. We each get to act the way we want, each of us standing on our own two legs, whatever the WHO might say. The question is how does the WHO's recommendation put people on their knees? Put people out of work? Increase child abuse?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Because of control. Most folks are programmed to believe this shit. So you have kids being abused and now not being hugged. You have an entire population that is social distancing. The health ramifications of these things are dire to say the least. Weaken people so you can control them. Nothing knew under the sun really.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:47 am
You have an entire population that is social distancing.
really?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:25 pm
boyyourself wrote:
You have an entire population that is social distancing.
really?

Yeah, seriously, they really aren’t.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Good for them. I do believe everyone should be doing the best they can to protect themselves and others. Who wouldn't besides an asshole. I just think high risk people should protect themselves by sequestering. And I don't have the facts but it seems like most death are occurring in nursing homes, nature's tinder box. And just healthy people, especially kids, who are barely even being affected, let alone dying, should be a lie to get on with their lives----to protect themselves.
And the entire poulation needs to re think it's habits about how to not be high risk.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It’s not about death rate. It’s about unknown long term health concerns.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

What are the long-term health concerns with dousing yourself in gasoline and lighting up a cigarette?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:57 pm
What are the long-term health concerns with dousing yourself in gasoline and lighting up a cigarette?

There are no long-term health concerns with that. Short-term, however....

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

boyyourself wrote:
Because of control. Most folks are programmed to believe this shit. So you have kids being abused and now not being hugged. You have an entire population that is social distancing. The health ramifications of these things are dire to say the least. Weaken people so you can control them. Nothing knew under the sun really.
Dude...the other choice is seriously compromising health...286,000 Americans have died from Covid. By comparison, 3,000 died in 9-11. Yeah, man - human interaction vs. health safety is a real shit sandwich. There ARE no 'good' outcomes here. But, honestly, your comments about people being 'programmed to believe this shit' is concerning. Covid is real man. And we've got to get rid of the fucking thing to get back to normal. I don't know anyone who is happy about not being able to hug anyone. It sucks all the way round. But...we've got to get rid of the fucker before we get back to normal. There, I trust experts and scientists and do my best to follow their advice and guidance - they haven't dealt with this fucker before, so I'm not surprised if that guidance changes now and then. Do they have all the right answers? Fuck if I know, but I'd think they have a better shot at it than me, so I listen to them to A) attempt to make the best decisions for my family's safety and B) try to chip in and do my part to make the fucker go away more quickly and do less damage.

If you do that, sacrifices will me made. It's unavoidable. Also, it will suck. That is unavoidable too. I fucking hate this shit and want to get out of the goddman house. I dont ever want to see another fucking mask on a human being ever again. I want my kids back in school. They NEED to be back in school. I haven't seen my parents in a year. I'm bored out of my goddamn mind. I miss hugging, and human contact. I have to sell shit for a living and now I can't shake a hand to make a deal - it fucking sucks and it's hard.

But, I've made the determination that it is worth it. (see A and B above) Am I right? I don't fucking know. I'm just trying to do the best I can, brother...we all are...or (probably) should be...

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:36 pm
And just healthy people, especially kids, who are barely even being affected, let alone dying, should be a lie to get on with their lives----to protect themselves.
And the entire poulation needs to re think it's habits about how to not be high risk.
I agree with you 1000%....but....unfortunately, this just isn't how this disease works. (See: Sweden)

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:10 am
boyyourself wrote:
Are we on our knees yet?
I don't understand this.

What do we expect of public health organizations? I assume (dangerous word, I know) that we expect them to provide up to date information and best practices recommendations related to public health concerns including epidemics. There are 2 possibilities: Either not hugging will increase public health or it won't. I have no idea nor have I looked behind the headlines for the underlying data. But let's assume for the moment that it will. Should the WHO not say so because hugging is a personal, intimate act? Should public health organizations not recommend the use of condoms to help prevent the spread of STD's?

Is there anything about the WHO's recommendation re hugging or in recommendations by numerous public health organizations that sexually active people use condoms that requires anybody to do anything? Leaving aside all the ironic, sophomoric and sarcastic comments that might be made about being on our knees in this context, who is on their knees as a result of this and why? Even before the WHO's announcement I personally had chosen not to hug anyone. Most people I know don't hug and none shake hands (as far as I know anyway). The last time I saw my son I didn't hug him. That made me sad, not oppressed. Nobody from the government was literally or figuratively looking over my shoulder making sure I did or didn't do this or that. I was exercising my personal freedom to keep myself safe according to my own calculations of how to do that based on information available to me. Now there is more information that makes me think I was right to act as I've been acting. I fail to see what the issue or concern is here. Not because I want the government determining who I can hug or when but because the government is not determining who I can hug or when.

I am going to give you the biggest motherfucking hug of your life next time our paths cross.
Now it's dark.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:27 am
Anyone else fucking pissed off about child abuse spikes? Suicide spikes? Etc? Or are we just gonna sit here and say well, this was avoidable if y'all would've worn masks? Fauci said in March that masks weren't necessary. Fuck Biden. Fuck Trump. Fuck Fauci. That's the sandwitch teqnique.
any data on the suicide spikes? not downplaying the mental health toll this virus has taken, but i did find this bit:
Turns out that this tweet was a variation of a tweet that originated in the UK on June 29 stating that “Suicide figures are up 200% since the lockdown”, and then got re-released recently. Turns out it was likely an effort to garner anti-lockdown sentiment, by suggesting that lockdowns lead to mental illness and suicide.

To explore this further, I did my own research, and also spoke to two colleagues and friends who know tons about this area: Drs. Paul Kurdyak (CAMH) and Ayal Shaffer (Sunnybrook Health Sciences). We also happen to be in the same book club, but they read books with words (they are psychiatrists after all), and I prefer books with pictures (because I am … me). Here is what I learned/found:

There are actually two mental health/wellness pandemics: One is mental stress. And the other is resilience.
There is no evidence whatsoever that there is an increase in suicides owing to lockdowns. There were definitely predictions that it would occur, but we have not seen it. In fact, if anything, the opposite is true: it either remained unchanged or actually went down during the first wave. A good review of most of the data is here in the British Medical Journal (for a pretty academic look at the topic).

Additionally, even though I have seen some unfortunate suggestions that the current opioid crisis is largely due to COVID-19, the evidence of that is quite weak also. Look at data on opiate-related ED visits, overdose, and deaths from Public Health Ontario over the past few years up till the end of March. You will note that an increase occurred BEFORE THE PANDEMIC (which really affected us mid-March).

There is not a good relationship between stress and mental illness. For example, it is uncommon for people facing life-threatening illness to be depressed (when many people would assume that people being given a grave diagnosis usually get depressed).

Resilience—or, as I like to teach my basketball players, mental toughness—can be taught or learned. It is beyond the scope of this email, but there are resources out there on resilience.

There is still mental health morbidity from COVID-19, and I do not wish to minimize that. Anxiety, for example. Financial stressors, and health-related concerns and outcomes. But it is not as definitive (or likely as bad) as is portrayed.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Flea wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:33 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:10 am
boyyourself wrote:
Are we on our knees yet?
I don't understand this.

I am going to give you the biggest motherfucking hug of your life next time our paths cross.
Make sure you wear a rubber (and be careful who you screw).
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM