The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by cortez the killer »

cortez the killer wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:13 am
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:14 am
Biden's ahead in Nevada and Wisconsin. If that holds, any other of those four states* but North Carolina is a win, and North Carolina, god bless it, would be a tie. Lose Wisconsin or Nevada and any two states would be a win or a tie. Lose both of them and any three states would be a win or a tie.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

walthers wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:45 am
My wife is from southern Indiana and I spend some time hunting outside of Madison. There is a large Mennonite community around where we are and they build a lot of furniture, very high quality solid wood furniture.
Do they glaze the furniture?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

walthers

Post by walthers »

The bedroom sets we were looking at appeared to be. They are sanded and very smooth with a think coat of something to seal it. I was just amazed at how sturdy and heavy everything was.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I'm so glad y'all steered this convo back to Mennonite cinnamon rolls.
I'm almost off the farm as the lovely old Mennonite couple have started moving in. They stopped by for a day and cleaned up these 3 acres. Would've taken me a week if I'd done it at all. He fixed my thermostat and said he'd fix the door latch when they moved in.
Gonna be an adjustment moving into a 700 sq ft apartment. But I'll keep farming. Urban farming. Just lined up a buck and a dough rabbit to liven up the place. So at least this dark winter will be filled with pork, salmon, rabbit, and beef. Also I want to get a couple chickens. Not sure if any of this is allowed at my condo complex.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11/11 ... -continues

Popular vote grows beyond 5mm. I recall a wager associated with this number.... :o
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:10 pm
Not sure if any of this is allowed at my condo complex.
I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say no, but I want to assure you that we stand ready to come up w/ the bail money when you need it.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Thanks beantown. Free boyyourself indeed.
I'm not too worried about it. I've tussled with the cops around here. Mostly because they're my friends and we are on Search and rescue together.
One in particular talked me into putting boxing gloves with him down at the station. He said we'd go light. Nonetheless I left my chin exposed and he caught it square. Knocked me right the fuck out. I gathered myself off the cop shop floor and he asked if I was ready to go again. No, I'm no dummy. Oh wait.
Also I supply them with pork so why not rabbit as well. I'll just invite them over.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:19 pm

Popular vote grows beyond 5mm. I recall a wager associated with this number.... :o
funny, i do too.... Wolf seems to be deep in the forest.

come out lil puppy!

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

pearlbeer wrote:

come out lil puppy!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

walthers wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:56 pm
The bedroom sets we were looking at appeared to be. They are sanded and very smooth with a think coat of something to seal it. I was just amazed at how sturdy and heavy everything was.
When one of our children was born, we came home one night to find a handmade bookcase on our front porch as a present from our Mennonite neighbors. It's probably the most well-built piece of furniture in our entire house.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:28 pm
pearlbeer wrote:

come out lil puppy!
He's probably out huntin' & killin' . ;)

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Maybe he's hunting and killing here in Colorado. We just voted in favor of re introducing the grey wolf. Which is quite a can of worms as far as an issue goes. And really, we should be caring just as much about earthworms as we do horses. But we don't.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:44 pm
we should be caring just as much about earthworms as we do horses. But we don't.
Humans are a very strange species. Sometimes I think hubris is our dominant trait.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I don't know what that means but I believe you. The bald eagle and the horse seem to get a lot more press than slugs and bugs.
And I believe there is roughly 35 million acres of recreational horse property in this country alone. Coupled with 35 million acres of manicured lawns.
There's 70 million acres that could be used for food production.

As part of the boyyourself, green new do it yourself deal, we will start using this land for food production. Sequestering carbon in the process.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 pm
I don't know what that means but I believe you. The bald eagle and the horse seem to get a lot more press than slugs and bugs.
And I believe there is roughly 35 million acres of recreational horse property in this country alone. Coupled with 35 million acres of manicured lawns.
There's 70 million acres that could be used for food production.

As part of the boyyourself, green new do it yourself deal, we will start using this land for food production. Sequestering carbon in the process.
"Strange" means we pride ourselves on our consciousness and rational decision making, especially as compared to animals, yet our decisions are so often irrational and emotional. Deciding which animals to favor or disfavor, which to nurture and which to destroy (with either indifference or active measures) is a perfect example of the kind of decision making I'm talking about.

"Hubris" means we are arrogant pricks, thinking we are in charge of our environment, allowing a very few people to make decisions affecting vast amounts of land and huge numbers of people, often by valuing public resources at something close to zero, thinking we can make decisions without consequences or alternatively thinking we understand what the consequences will be. How many acres of the Amazon just disappeared while I typed this post?

As long as you're converting wasteful land use to productive uses, how about getting rid of golf courses built in desert or near desert environments or, OTOH in near wetlands environments? Not the biggest issue out there by any means but the hubris, stupidity, destructiveness and wastefulness involved make me a little nuts. Manicured lawns in desert/near desert conditions is a whole 'nother tirade waiting to happen.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

boyyourself wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:44 pm
Maybe he's hunting and killing here in Colorado. We just voted in favor of re introducing the grey wolf. Which is quite a can of worms as far as an issue goes. And really, we should be caring just as much about earthworms as we do horses. But we don't.
I'm a fan of rewilding and species reintroduction but you're spot on about earthworms. A lot of talk (rightly) about climate but nowhere near enough about how we're all running out of fertile soil.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Fertile soil is earthworm friendly for sure. And building topsoil requires animals in the system. And it's at least interesting to see how golf courses mimic nature to grow grass. They aerate with machinery which mimics hooves in nature. They obviously have to fertilize and that's done with nitrogen pellets and other amendments, to mimic shit and piss from animals. Herbicides and pesticides too. It's an ecological disaster for sure. At least grass is a cooling mechanism. That's good.
The rest of our grass could be getting turned into meat.
Bovine animals like cattle in particular, which can be used to grow grass and therefore topsoil if managed properly through rotation. Ideally the grass plant doesn't die. No need to re plant. That's can be a carbon nuetral equation.
Age there are earthworms and other life. Especially in the soil which is mostly bacteria. So really if you are a grass farmer you're a bacteria farmer. I love that.

And cattle aren't designed to eat grain. Plus, obviously clearing rainforest to plant grain to feed battle us so fucked up ecologically speaking. And not good for cattle to eat grain. So grass fed vs grain fed beef is not even close to the same thing. So is eating meat bad for the earth? Depends.
Is wheat, Corn, soy, bananas, Mexican raspberries etc bad for earth? Seems that way.
Also, banana plantations are fucked up. Super destructive.
You likely aren't buying local bananas.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Pigs and chickens are omnivores so they can digest grain supplementation. And it's kind of required if you're trying to feed out these animals for meat. So there is cropping involved. That's a quite a bit higher carbon footprint than grass fed only beef.
Which is not to say pigs and chickens don't like to forage. They absolutely do so if they are on pasture plus getting supplemented grain then that's perfect.
Even better if you can have chickens following cattle to mimic birds that follow migratory herbivores in nature. They scratch the cow shit and shit themselves and that's how you can build topsoil with nature mimicry and small without carbon emission. The consequence being beef and eggs. And grass.
Just like the dick high grass on the serenghetti. It only requires sun., water, and shit and piss to grow.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Worth noting that the cropping involved (wheat, corn, soy) to feed this planets omnivores----pigs, chickens, humans----requires lots of fuel and water. Unlike grass, a perennial, these are annuals that have to be planted and harvested every year. That's with expensive depreciating equipment. And these crops denutrify the soil. So just like with a golf course, chemicals and machinery is involved in re amending the soil every year. What soil you have left.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

From CNN: "Trump announced on Twitter he was firing Chris Krebs, the director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, and directly tied it to Krebs' statement that said there "is no evidence that any voting system deleted or lost votes, changed votes, or was in any way compromised."

Trump is truly a despicable human being. His enablers might be worse. Regardless on how they feel about the "issues", it is mind boggling how anybody can support this piece of shit.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I Aa as

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Video killed the radio star, but the reality star killed reality. These folks truly believe in an alternate reality. My elementary school children have a better grasp on fact/fiction. Hell, they are even getting suspicious of Santa Claus, although I think that story is much more believable and rooted in historic fact.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

I've noticed the ones here who were vocally leaning toward the dark side have disappeared. It was almost like the Russian bots we were dealing with on another site I frequent.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Good points can be made about some right wingers losing their minds these days.
For those of us outside the two party fracas, it feels a lot like 2016.
Just different extremists shouting "Not My President!"
I need a never my president bumper sticker.
Good entertainment value in the craziness, though.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:57 pm
Good points can be made about some right wingers losing their minds these days.
For those of us outside the two party fracas, it feels a lot like 2016.
Just different extremists shouting "Not My President!"
I need a never my president bumper sticker.
Good entertainment value in the craziness, though.
Come on, Rod. That is the worst sort of false equivalence.

People shouting "not my president" about Trump were shocked and dismayed that he won. For all practical purposes there were no claims, and certainly no claims by any responsible party, that the election results were wrong, that Clinton had won, that the election had been manipulated even though the election process was far less secure than it was in 2020. The claims of Russian interference were around, but they didn't become the big story until later and nobody used allegations of that interference to try to invalidate the election.

People shouting "not my president" about Biden are claiming that Trump won despite ALL evidence to the contrary. They are being led by the sitting president. Not one election official in any state including the more than half that are Republican controlled has found any evidence of tampering or fraud. None of this seems to matter. Republicans are claiming that Trump won and are refusing to acknowledge Biden as the president elect.

Clinton WON the popular vote by over 3 million and lost the electoral college by about 80,000 votes spread over 3 states even after Russian meddling on behalf of Trump and yet she conceded in less than 24 hours (despite the shock of having been the favorite and anticipated winner going in). The Obama administration extended all the usual courtesies and transition assistance to the Trump camp, down to Michelle inviting Melania to the traditional first lady tea. In fact, the way I hear it, the Obama people were going crazy trying to get the Trumpers to pay attention to important matters of state.

Trump was predicted to lose by most polls, he LOST the popular vote by over FIVE MILLION votes and he convincingly lost the electoral college by the exact same number he labeled a landslide when the number was in his favor, though the number of popular votes behind those electoral votes remains uncertain and depends in part on how one chooses to analyze the results (all the states Biden won or just the minimum number needed to get to 270). There is NO credible evidence of either fraud or tampering, Trump has lost every lawsuit making every possible ridiculous claim and yet over half of Republicans insist he won the election. Trump makes the same claim and urges his minions on despite any evidence supporting his claims. He is refusing to cooperate w/ the Biden team on the transition even on such major, potentially catastrophic matters as the virus and national security. He is causing chaos in the operation of the US government, uncertainty in the world and undermining the very basis of this country's government.

How are those 2 situations equivalent?

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I'd say the orange clown is not my president because I don't respect him.
I also don't respect the current blue clown. Nor any past blue or orange clowns that have been in office that I can remember.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:41 pm
I wanted to use that as a lead-in to report on my Zoom call with church choir last night. The choir director is in his late fifties and is the youngest of the dozen people who were on the call. I'm the second youngest, for what that's worth. The other folks range from me to eighty and are very liberal.

The consensus among folks was that they are madder and angrier at Trump than they were before he lost the election. I heard one lady say she'd actually come to hate him since the election--this month's election--where she didn't before.

I have never heard a room full of people so depressed and gloomy about giving the man who'd beaten us a worse beating in return. It just astounded me. If the situation were reversed and Trump had squeaked out an electoral college win, his supporters would be partying down! They'd act as though they won. Instead, after Biden gave a Trump exactly the same margin in the electoral college he'd gotten last time, except in reverse and right up his ass, and their guy got more votes for president than anyone ever, my friends are mad about it. Madder than they were before, even after they won.

If Democrats want to win, they need to stop acting like losers.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:15 am
If Democrats want to win, they need to stop acting like losers.
Interesting, JohnA, but I want to be clear on one important point. Is it your sense that they're mad about the election results, i.e. the results did not meet pre-election projections/expectations or are they mad about Trump's post-election behavior?

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:41 pm

I thought the actions of the far left after the 2016 election were ridiculous.
I think the Trumpistas tizzy now is also ridiculous.
That does not mean they are the same.
Lighten up, Bubba. It helps to learn to enjoy the ridiculousness.
For the entertainment value.

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.