The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

boyyourself

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by boyyourself »

Cole Younger
Report Quote
Unread post Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:07 am

Man I hope I get to meet and have a beer with you some time.

Right back ya man. And I really appreciate your words in response. Especially how you understand and can relate to how, a seemingly microcosmic situation, can be scoped out to canvas a civilization in its current state. Especially if you can seriously consider that history repeats itself, and there ain't nothing new happening under the sun. Three Great Alabama Icons comes to mind.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:28 am
Cole Younger
Report Quote
Unread post Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:07 am

Man I hope I get to meet and have a beer with you some time.

Right back ya man. And I really appreciate your words in response. Especially how you understand and can relate to how, a seemingly microcosmic situation, can be scoped out to canvas a civilization in its current state. Especially if you can seriously consider that history repeats itself, and there ain't nothing new happening under the sun. Three Great Alabama Icons comes to mind.
If more people would concentrate on trying to help someone around them instead of thinking they really understand the major problems of the country, which are actually pretty complex,
can you imagine the change for the better that would facilitate. People actually helping other people instead of wanting defeat people they view as not as good as them. Actually doing something instead of getting on social media and talking about shit they don’t really understand and jerking each other off about how moral they are. I respect anybody who puts their money where their mouth is and those people are becoming shorter and shorter in supply in direct proportion to the grip ideological possession through social media grows in power.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

It's true. And luckily for me, within the last ten years since I've gotten back into agriculture, particularly the regenerative and holistic sort of agriculture, that shows respect for the land, the animal, and the consumer for which the food is produced, that the "middle ground" is actually quite a bit deeper than I would've ever imagined. Joel Salatin comes to mind. He lectures on sustainable agriculture and has written several books on the topic and operates a fully transparent farm. He call himself a Christian libertarian environmentalist capitalist lunatic farmer. Ok. That's kind of a crazy combo.
The Christian farmers I grew up around were certainly not environmentalists. They cussed any practice of actually taking more a holistic natural approach to the land. Still do. They still use herbicides and pesticides and chemical fertilizer on their land to this day. The soil is has been de nutrified as a result. Constantly requiring amendments. This is a formula for large carbon emissions.
Lots of crops. Lots of tractors. Lots of diesel.
Turns out there's ways to respect the land and make a profit. It ain't easy to make a switch when you are planted firmly in the subsidy system. Nothings easy.
Joel Salatin just wrote a book called "Beyond Labels" Not sure if it's out yet.

Then there is the book entitled "Crunchy Cons" by Rob Dreher.

Crunchy Cons: How Birkenstocked Burkeans, Gun-Loving Organic Gardeners, Evangelical Free-Range Farmers, Hip Homeschooling Mamas, Right-Wing Nature Lovers, and Their Diverse Tribe of Countercultural Conservatives Plan to Save America (or at Least the Republican Party)
That's a mouthful eh? It doesn't describe me per say but I appreciate the sentiment and the diversity it entails.
As I recall the story, no one would publish the book because these types of people don't exist on any sort of large scale. So he self published and the book became a became a bestseller because many connected to the ideas, and many had already been living this way. The media was incorrect in their assumptions. Go figure.

These things were comforting to me because I had grown tired of my own extremes and the extremes that we have on social media and in super liberal places or super conservative places. Turns out, it's a bit nuanced beyond rural vs urban. The country is also divided, culturally speaking, not all that different than cultural division within cities. I get it. And it doesn't all seem
Bad or negative, and can be addressed without anger or violence, or so I've heard.

What I'm trying to say, is that the "middle ground", which runs deeper and stronger than I thought, doesnt really have a voice. It doesn't mean they aren't present and accounted for. The opposite. It means they are not holding a media megaphone. Nor do they care to. They also aren't easy to profit from, they are independent. And it's tough to do a story on someone who goes about there life fostering the land, fostering community and unity, and generally wanting to be left alone, but aren't trying to hide. That's a boring ass story and won't put a burr under anyone's saddle blanket. Nothing to see here.
It Seems like plenty to see to me. It's a big beautiful picture if you ask me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Imagine a group of less than 2,000 people of whom fewer than a thousand and sometimes no more than a handful were typically involved:

Paying for groceries and living expenses for someone most had never met who had the misfortune of getting seriously ill while caught between various bureaucracies that meant he was uninsurable for a period of time. Contributions not tax deductible btw.

Paying the rent and other expenses for someone who got suddenly and terribly ill and had no insurance, no family who could provide help and was surviving largely due to the efforts of one unrelated member who took that person's survival as his mission. Contributions not tax deductible btw.

Paying for someone that most had never and likely would never meet to experience a once in a lifetime event that most of the people paying couldn't afford to attend themselves. Contributions not tax deductible btw.

Supporting a family suddenly destitute and homeless. Contributions not tax deductible btw.

Making sure that once that family had a roof over its head it could have Christmas dinner and that the kids could have Christmas presents. Contributions not tax deductible btw.

Spending hundreds of hours of uncompensated and non-deductible time creating a book of a type that nobody had ever done before so that the book could be sold to raise money for a charity that none would ever benefit from located in a town that many would never visit and virtually none would ever live in.

Raising tens of thousands of dollars every year for that same charity, providing a significant portion of that charity's budget.

Buying t shirts they'd never wear and tickets for concerts they'd never attend so that musicians caught out in the cold w/ no way to earn a living partly due to the actions and inactions of a political party that urged personal responsibility while accepting none could feed and shelter their families.

Raising thousands of dollars to create a fund that members they had never met and never would might have a source of emergency funds after losing their jobs in an international crisis and being cut off from government support because their political representatives were mere interested in jerking themselves and each other off than in protecting their most vulnerable constituents. Contributions not tax deductible btw.

Imagine that.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I can imagine that beantown. It's obviously what's happening.
I will also tell you what I can't imagine.... I can't imagine bullshitting a close personal friend. I can't imagine him continuing to lie to himself. I can't imagine him continuing to disrespect himself and blame everyone else for his problems without someone who cares for him calling bullshit. And saying "mother fucker have some respect for yourself. Or at least have some respect for the person who is taking your ass to get new teeth by not puking in his car, and in the same breath, vehemently extolling how all his problems are someone else's fault."
It falls on deaf ears And in this case, my ears.
Blah blah blah blah woe is me because of someone else. I can't imagine it. I just can't. So I speak truth to a loved one. Truth hurts. Lies desrtroy. Disturbance is required for growth and this shit is disturbing. Hopefully we will grow out if it.

When it is on you Bubba? ( not you bean town, but the real life living Bubba.)
When does personal agency enter the equation in regards to anyone's situation?
Is it even politically correct to discuss personal agency? Not according to any media outlet I've ever subscribed to. Easier to blame Obama, it's all I heard from Texas for 8 years. Easy to blame Trump. It's all I heard everyone do for the last 4 years. None of it seemed to help anyone.
I can imagine all kinds of shit. I can even imagine them banning Imagine. "They" did. Hell between that and the Dixie Chicks, I can argue that conservatives started cancel culture, which I abhore. And those examples seem as silly and extreme as saying that if you support Trump, you must be a bigoted racist and I'm cancelling you. So yeah, personal agency and tolerance and truth and continued mental evolution and whatnot.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:44 am
Any advice you have on a single father trying to help a teenage girl navigate life, is welcome.
I never thought much about parenthood and parenting until I became a parent, and then I thought about it a LOT. Not only was it necessary for the obvious reasons but I also found the subject interesting, even fascinating and to understate the case, challenging. Thinking it might be something others would enjoy talking about I staredt a thread on the subject here on 3dd and there was no interest. But if you're interested in that kind of discussion I'd be happy to join in, with the caveat that my kids were born in the late '80's, and while that doesn't seem that long ago, my goodness the world and raising children in it has changed quite a bit. OTOH I'd like to think that at least some of the verities are solid and don't change much. Anyway, if there's interest...

NB: Wrote this before your last post, boy; this is not intended to be responsive to that.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:56 am
Is it even politically correct to discuss personal agency? Not according to any media outlet I've ever subscribed to. Easier to blame Obama, it's all I heard from Texas for 8 years. Easy to blame Trump. It's all I heard everyone do for the last 4 years. None of it seemed to help anyone.
I can imagine all kinds of shit. I can even imagine them banning Imagine. "They" did. Hell between that and the Dixie Chicks, I can argue that conservatives started cancel culture, which I abhore. And those examples seem as silly and extreme as saying that if you support Trump, you must be a bigoted racist and I'm cancelling you. So yeah, personal agency and tolerance and truth and continued mental evolution and whatnot.
I'm in a hurry so I'm going to take the easy way out and just respond on the surface. One problem we all face as we try to discuss serious issues and important ethical/philosophical concerns is that pretty much everything is a buzzword these days. It's sort of a tangent of the idea of political correctness . If I use the term "personal agency" it means a lot more than the definition of the term. Same for everything from "racist" to "identity politics" to "cancel culture," heck, even "PC" itself, ad nauseum. Unless we allow ourselves to use words in their ordinary meaning we'll never have a conversation about anything meaningful and that's bad for everyone.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I could not agree more. Which is why I totally appreciate the dialogue around here. Words can be powerful and direct. But also, what's in a word? It's just a word. Striking a balance between the duality seems paramount for effective communication, or just being cool. We have to talk or type at the risk of being offensive with words IMO. Otherwise how do we even have conversations? How do we think our way through important situations? The buzzwords do buzz people, I get it. But what's the alternative? Compelled speach laws? Outright mind control in rearing our children? I don't like those things. And I'd rather not have an ongoing list of things I can and can't say. Especially for the sake of conversation among folk who already have a common thread or a real live personal relationship even.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

It seems like we are agreeing to agree. So we got that going for us. Which is nice.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I am more relieved than I am excited. This has been exhausting.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

Congratulations America.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:56 am
I can imagine that beantown. It's obviously what's happening.
I will also tell you what I can't imagine.... I can't imagine bullshitting a close personal friend. I can't imagine him continuing to lie to himself. I can't imagine him continuing to disrespect himself and blame everyone else for his problems without someone who cares for him calling bullshit. And saying "mother fucker have some respect for yourself. Or at least have some respect for the person who is taking your ass to get new teeth by not puking in his car, and in the same breath, vehemently extolling how all his problems are someone else's fault."
It falls on deaf ears And in this case, my ears.
Blah blah blah blah woe is me because of someone else. I can't imagine it. I just can't. So I speak truth to a loved one. Truth hurts. Lies desrtroy. Disturbance is required for growth and this shit is disturbing. Hopefully we will grow out if it.

When it is on you Bubba? ( not you bean town, but the real life living Bubba.)
I’m really, really glad you’re here. I hope you will keep posting.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Zip City
Report Quote
Post Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:34 am

Are you relieved because the popular vote was pretty close? Just like most elections?
Are you relieved that blacks and Hispanics supported Trump even more than the last election? Are you relieved that the blue wave I've been hearing about didn't actually didn't happen? Are you relieved that Bubba is getting his teeth fixed and sobering up? Relieved that Trump isn't president? Or are you just relieved that Lockdown Joe won? And can call him Lock Down Joe without being characterized as perpetuating some misguided notion of Lock Down Joe Mania Derangement Syndrome?. Or, LDJMDA, as I call it?
Or are you just relieved? They seem like rethorical questions and they kind of are kind of aren't, I'm just curious. And you obviously have every right to be relieved, that seems like a good thing to me.
But excited? Not sure what there would be to get excited about so thanks for not doing that... excited people get on Cooleys nerves. 😉

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

@boyyourself, I had a long response typed out to your post above where you mentioned the two books and was trying to also sit in the deer stand and watch the woods and I lost it. That’s what I get for not just enjoying the woods and brining the internets into it.

Thank you for mentioning those two books. They’re on my reading list now.

You and me could probably get a long conversation about chemical fertilizer and pesticides that would bore the shit out of everybody else here. Come to think of it that sounds like fun.😆

The Crunchy Cons book being something the media whiffed on is just one more recent reminder of how totally useless our news media is. Tits on a boar hog useless. The fact they self published and succeeded is something I love and reminds me of David Goggins being told that there was no market for his book by the publishers he went to. He self published and had the same result. If you don’t know who he is you would love him. Former Navy Seal, current ultra marathon runner, one time world record holder for pull ups, now a self published author etc etc etc. His message is multi layered but the central theme is, everyone is a lot stronger than they think they are if they will reject the temptation to be self pitying and stop buying what is being pedaled in our culture that weakness is good and strength is bad. This guy had every reason to be a first class loser. He was abused as a child. He faced actual racism, not dog whistle bullshit, racism to a degree that is heart breaking. He was morbidly obese. He had nothing going for him. He has become one of the baddest motherfuckers to ever live. His book is called Can’t Hurt Me and it is one of the most inspiring things I’ve ever read. He has absolutely no tolerance for people who whine and cry and make excuses and want to blame other people for their problems.

Another book that I think you would love is The Last American Man. It’s about Eustace Conway. He lives in the mountains of his
native NC and lives naturally as people did long ago. He lives totally off of what he grows and kills. He has built all his own buildings out of trees he has cut and hauled out with mules. He does have a pickup truck but it runs off a gasifier powered by fire wood. He is totally self sufficient and a really good guy but has no time for people who make excuses and say “I can’t.” He has his own school where he teaches people skills who want to live a more natural life. He hosts a camp for kids. The local bureaucrats tried to mess with him because that’s what government pointed headed rules always do when they see someone who doesn’t need them. A guy who came out to inspect the buildings he has built had some common sense and said the structures are more sturdy than anything “up to code”. Eustace Conway, David Goggins, and Pat Tillman are about the closest thing to heroes I have.

If people would try and make things better instead of going after vengeance against “the other”, and those who talk a big ass game about how empathetic they are are some of the worst about that, a lot of the problems we have would get fixed.

I like what you said about extremes. I don’t like extremes at all. By three dimes down standards I’m a right wing crazy man but that’s not what I am in reality. I’m pretty conservative but I don’t like extremes. Oh and conservatives absolutely invented cancel culture.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:25 pm
I could not agree more. Which is why I totally appreciate the dialogue around here. Words can be powerful and direct. But also, what's in a word? It's just a word. Striking a balance between the duality seems paramount for effective communication, or just being cool. We have to talk or type at the risk of being offensive with words IMO. Otherwise how do we even have conversations? How do we think our way through important situations? The buzzwords do buzz people, I get it. But what's the alternative? Compelled speach laws? Outright mind control in rearing our children? I don't like those things. And I'd rather not have an ongoing list of things I can and can't say. Especially for the sake of conversation among folk who already have a common thread or a real live personal relationship even.
The “words hurt” stuff gripes my ass in a major way. Once somebody gains control over what you are allowed to say they have control over how you think. To me what the regressives hate most about Orange Man was they could never make him apologize the way they have always done with so many Republicans. I’ve argued against the whole “no this is different. Trump is worse” narrative but I think it was different because they couldn’t bully him. He would just say it again and laugh at them. That was one thing I did like about him. They couldn’t make him bend the knee.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:17 pm
Zip City
Report Quote
Post Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:34 am

Are you relieved because the popular vote was pretty close? Just like most elections?
Are you relieved that blacks and Hispanics supported Trump even more than the last election? Are you relieved that the blue wave I've been hearing about didn't actually didn't happen? Are you relieved that Bubba is getting his teeth fixed and sobering up? Relieved that Trump isn't president? Or are you just relieved that Lockdown Joe won? And can call him Lock Down Joe without being characterized as perpetuating some misguided notion of Lock Down Joe Mania Derangement Syndrome?. Or, LDJMDA, as I call it?
Or are you just relieved? They seem like rethorical questions and they kind of are kind of aren't, I'm just curious. And you obviously have every right to be relieved, that seems like a good thing to me.
But excited? Not sure what there would be to get excited about so thanks for not doing that... excited people get on Cooleys nerves. 😉
If they're rhetorical questions, then you're not really interested in my response.

Also, there's a quote button in the upper right of each post that will save you the work of copy/pasting people's posts
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Right. And again for me, I'm trying to help raise a now 13 year old girl. How the hell do you do that without falling on your face a bunch? Hell if I know.
I do know that she was starting to develop taking points that basically reminded of social justice warrioring. And it bothered the shit out of me. But I couldn't explain why without getting emotional. Because, that's not a healthy approach.
So instead of staying mad about it or blaming Trump Hysteria for brainwashing my daughter, I realized I had grown intolerant myself. And the totality of my intolerances in my lifetime have spanned just about everything you can think of not the least of which being myself. Coincidence? I think not.
So I worked really hard to confront my own biases which as it turns out, were real to me, however misguided. Just like the biases my 13 year old was/is developing. It's been super helpful. But it's a process in progress. Realizing that In a lot of ways, I didn't know what the hell I was talking about, but was saying it with arrogance and gusto. Just like the orange clown. Also Obama being un emotional and slick and classy in his delivery, never impressed me. I didn't like how he went about things and I think he gets a pass he doesn't deserve. It's easy to look good, just don't be a Clinton or a Trump or a Bush for that matter. That makes you a hero by default. But I didn't like how he "fooled" people that way. It reminds me of NPR trotting out soft music to set up some bullshit propagandized news story and all the people tune in and blindly believe. The veneer if you will, So I liked the orange clown for at least being up front about his bullshit. I also understand that using honey is better than vinegar if you want to lead somebody somewhere.
In this case it's parenting. My vinegary ways were never going to be helpful to my daughter. So I try to grow and change and soften. But not try to propagandize. I want her to speak freely for herself. I want her to realize that of course, there are things we can't say. Say the N word out loud and expect to get your ass kicked. Or at the very least, not have any friends. Either way there are consequences for speech. That doesn't mean I believe there should be a law against saying the N word I don't. That ain't freedom of speech. And we shouldn't be taking it out of Mark Twain novels either.

She's a beautiful fiery blonde girl with boyyourself as a father. And has a great mom btw. Raised in Bellingham Washington. Just when you thought Seattle was hip. She's also has two older brothers so she is always the smallest. Her battles are real despite the fact that she's a well off white chick. So she makes up for it anyway she can. I want her to be big and feel big. That's a tough one. She lets it fly what she's thinking and I love it, that doesn't make it easy. And that doesn't mean I have to agree with her. So I try to be supportive, un emotional,compassionate , and honest with her. Hopefully she's a free spirit and a free thinker that's grounded in reality abd says whatever the fuck she wants however she wants to say it. We can worry about cleaning it up later. She's new. It's to be expected. But hell I feel like I have to evolve daily to keep up with a growing human who literally evolves daily by default. It ain't always pretty but it's great because we're just humans. I don't expect cleanliness and perfection. In fact, I don't like those things, in fact, I have a high tolerance for disgustingness abd imperfections, unlike Hitler. I'll take the shit over the hand sanitizer. Shit has life in it. Hand sanitizer kills all life. Tails facing up. Still fuckin up and whatnot.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

If they're rhetorical questions, then you're not really interested in my response.

What I actually said was that they are kinda rhetorical questions kind of not.
I certainly didn't say they were. You did.
At any rate it was vague and not conducive to promoting good convo. My bad. I'm completely Intersted in anyone responding to anything I say.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:02 pm
Right. And again for me, I'm trying to help raise a now 13 year old girl. How the hell do you do that without falling on your face a bunch? Hell if I know.
I do know that she was starting to develop taking points that basically reminded of social justice warrioring. And it bothered the shit out of me. But I couldn't explain why without getting emotional. Because, that's not a healthy approach.
So instead of staying mad about it or blaming Trump Hysteria for brainwashing my daughter, I realized I had grown intolerant myself. And the totality of my intolerances in my lifetime have spanned just about everything you can think of not the least of which being myself. Coincidence? I think not.
So I worked really hard to confront my own biases which as it turns out, were real to me, however misguided. Just like the biases my 13 year old was/is developing. It's been super helpful. But it's a process in progress. Realizing that In a lot of ways, I didn't know what the hell I was talking about, but was saying it with arrogance and gusto. Just like the orange clown. Also Obama being un emotional and slick and classy in his delivery, never impressed me. I didn't like how he went about things and I think he gets a pass he doesn't deserve. It's easy to look good, just don't be a Clinton or a Trump or a Bush for that matter. That makes you a hero by default. But I didn't like how he "fooled" people that way. It reminds me of NPR trotting out soft music to set up some bullshit propagandized news story and all the people tune in and blindly believe. The veneer if you will, So I liked the orange clown for at least being up front about his bullshit. I also understand that using honey is better than vinegar if you want to lead somebody somewhere.
In this case it's parenting. My vinegary ways were never going to be helpful to my daughter. So I try to grow and change and soften. But not try to propagandize. I want her to speak freely for herself. I want her to realize that of course, there are things we can't say. Say the N word out loud and expect to get your ass kicked. Or at the very least, not have any friends. Either way there are consequences for speech. That doesn't mean I believe there should be a law against saying the N word I don't. That ain't freedom of speech. And we shouldn't be taking it out of Mark Twain novels either.

She's a beautiful fiery blonde girl with boyyourself as a father. And has a great mom btw. Raised in Bellingham Washington. Just when you thought Seattle was hip. She's also has two older brothers so she is always the smallest. Her battles are real despite the fact that she's a well off white chick. So she makes up for it anyway she can. I want her to be big and feel big. That's a tough one. She lets it fly what she's thinking and I love it, that doesn't make it easy. And that doesn't mean I have to agree with her. So I try to be supportive, un emotional,compassionate , and honest with her. Hopefully she's a free spirit and a free thinker that's grounded in reality abd says whatever the fuck she wants however she wants to say it. We can worry about cleaning it up later. She's new. It's to be expected. But hell I feel like I have to evolve daily to keep up with a growing human who literally evolves daily by default. It ain't always pretty but it's great because we're just humans. I don't expect cleanliness and perfection. In fact, I don't like those things, in fact, I have a high tolerance for disgustingness abd imperfections, unlike Hitler. I'll take the shit over the hand sanitizer. Shit has life in it. Hand sanitizer kills all life. Tails facing up. Still fuckin up and whatnot.
Man yeah. I’m raising an eight year old little girl. She is as sweet as sugar but has her daddy’s fire. Before the roney she got in Brazilian Jiu Jitzu and she’s pretty damn good. I love that she has a good heart and is a warrior too. That’s what I’ve always tried to achieve. That balance.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

That's awesome man. Way to embrace the imbalances.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:06 pm
To me what the regressives hate most about Orange Man was they could never make him apologize the way they have always done with so many Republicans. I’ve argued against the whole “no this is different. Trump is worse” narrative but I think it was different because they couldn’t bully him. He would just say it again and laugh at them. That was one thing I did like about him. They couldn’t make him bend the knee.
Interesting theory. I'd love to test it. My personal guess is that one could find plenty of demands in the print, electronic and visual media that Trump apologize for various alleged transgressions throughout 2015, 2016 and maybe through the first quarter of 2017. After that I bet we'd find a decreasing number of demands for apologies through sometime in 2018, at which time there would be close to zero such demands. At some point even slow libtard snowflake regressives realized who Trump actually is, that his verbal assaults were only a small part of the package and not nearly the most dangerous and that getting him to apologize was meaningless as well as a waste of time.

I'm sure you know a lot of snowflake libtard regressives who think that the worst thing about Trump is that he never apologizes as opposed to, say, him being a lying incompetent anti-science anti-intellectual anti-factual corrupt tool of Russia who posed a constant danger to this country while enriching himself, his family and his cronies. Funny, I never met one of those.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:22 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
To me what the regressives hate most about Orange Man was they could never make him apologize the way they have always done with so many Republicans. I’ve argued against the whole “no this is different. Trump is worse” narrative but I think it was different because they couldn’t bully him. He would just say it again and laugh at them. That was one thing I did like about him. They couldn’t make him bend the knee.
Interesting theory. I'd love to test it. My personal guess is that one could find plenty of demands in the print, electronic and visual media that Trump apologize for various alleged transgressions throughout 2015, 2016 and maybe through the first quarter of 2017. After that I bet we'd find a decreasing number of demands for apologies through sometime in 2018, at which time there would be close to zero such demands. At some point even slow libtard snowflake regressives realized who Trump actually is, that his verbal assaults were only a small part of the package and not nearly the most dangerous and that getting him to apologize was meaningless as well as a waste of time.

I'm sure you know a lot of snowflake libtard regressives who think that the worst thing about Trump is that he never apologizes as opposed to, say, him being a lying incompetent anti-science anti-intellectual anti-factual corrupt tool of Russia who posed a constant danger to this country while enriching himself, his family and his cronies. Funny, I never met one of those.
What about the soy boy, beta cucks?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

cortez the killer wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:35 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

What about the soy boy, beta cucks?
Oh I’m sure they’ll let you in the treehouse soon enough,Cortez. Don’t give up. There can only be so many variations of a secret
knock, right?🤣
Last edited by Cole Younger on Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Bubba show me one single time on this board and call up any instance in person where I’ve ever even suggested you are anything other than a reasonable and good guy. I only say that because yesterday you told me that I was being whiny. Looking back on it you were exactly right. I was dog tired and was being whiny. I don’t know if that’s what you’re being right now but you’re definitely being pissy. I wasn’t talking about you in that post but get mad if you want.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm
Bubba show me one single time on this board and call up any instance in person where I’ve ever even suggested you are anything other than a reasonable and good guy. I only say that because yesterday you told me that I was being whiny. Looking back on it you were exactly right. I was dog tired and was being whiny. I don’t know if that’s what you’re being right now but you’re definitely being pissy. I wasn’t talking about you in that post but get mad if you want.
I did not think your previous post was directed at me. And yeah, I'd have to say definitely pissy, a great and descriptive term I probably would not have come up with myself. All that being said, I did not like what you wrote because it was exactly the type of post to which you regularly and correctly object usually with my agreement and the type of post which I have rarely if ever seen from you. So call me pissy and disappointed. I'm over it.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:41 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I did not think your previous post was directed at me. And yeah, I'd have to say definitely pissy, a great and descriptive term I probably would not have come up with myself. All that being said, I did not like what you wrote because it was exactly the type of post to which you regularly and correctly object usually with my agreement and the type of post which I have rarely if ever seen from you. So call me pissy and disappointed. I'm over it.
You may be right. But it’s the internet, man. Who here hasnt said something out of character or stupid at some point?

phungi

Post by phungi »

Cole, unlurking again, to provide a slightly different, albeit personal perspective.

Growing up in NE Philly, there were basically two religions in my world, those who were jewish and those who were not... I didn't really understand the difference between Catholics and Protestants (not sure I do now, other than Jameson vs Bushmills, but I digress). My neighborhood was "mixed" as was my group of friends as was my school. My dad worked as a civilian software engineer for the gov't at the Philly Navy Yard, and voted Republican his entire life. I was never on an airplane, until I was 21 (paid for it myself) but got new sneakers and clothes annually (i.e., new school year) or when I needed them (sadly, sometimes simply trading in for new Tough-Skin jeans, but I digress). While I was raised in a "semi-religious" household, I denounced my religion shortly after my bar mitzvah, and have remained a steadfast apathetic evangelical atheist (i.e., too lazy to spread the word of no god, but I digress) since age 13. However, when I got to high school, there were plenty of kids from "the other side of the boulevard" who looked at me as the devil, as a rich jew, and not only wanted to kick my ass, but did so a few times in "several-on-one" ugly scenes.

So, I graduate (get) high school, go to Penn State in lovely Centre County PA, and meet lots of people, including some from the more rural areas of PA who not only had never met anyone jewish, but actually thought I had horns. I grew accustomed to choosing which hill to die on when someone said "fucking jew" in the tv-lounge (ah, the days of early cable tv, but I digress)... there were "friendly fraternities" and for the most part, this was a non-issue, and I by no means grew up as an oppressed minority in this country. As I mentioned, I didn't know hunger, I went to college, and then to grad school (on my dime) and had/have a pretty good life. While I remain uninterested in any form of organized religion (other than live music shows, but I digress), I suppose I identify with some aspects of the culture: family meals during holidays, attending secular ceremonies (e.g., weddings and funerals and bar mitzvahs, but I digress). Along the way, I read the bible, torah, and koran, and educated myself. I was able to visit Europe and even some concentration camps, and holocaust museums (abroad and in Washington DC), which sets up the reason I am posting.

I was no fan of Trump, but hoped for the best. However, when the shit went down in Charleston VA, and neo-Nazis were marching the streets with torches, saying "jews will not replace us",I went right back to my youth and experienced a level of hurt and oppression that few can understand without a lack of personal experience. Jewish people only represent about 2% of the population in the US, so when Trump did not repudiate this group, and instead validated their existence, it hurt perhaps only a minority. Imagine, if you will, a crowd chanting "anti-Marines rhetoric" (or Army, I don't recall your branch of service, but I digress), and know that there are thousands who would want you dead on the spot, simply for belonging to a group which they neither understood nor ever interacted with... I imagine it would personally hurt you, as well as the 2-3% of US citizens who, like you, selflessly served. Imagine a crowd chanting "blacks should still be slaves" and how that would hurt anyone who grew up oppressed as a black person in the US. (Note, I am not insinuating you are racist, incapable of empathy, or validate any of Trump's views, just waxing/digressing to get to my point). So, in response to "You got what you wanted. Why is that not enough? What would be enough?" nothing short of the harshest repudiation of Trump, his rhetoric, his racism, his xenophobia, and all the lies he used to create "anti-everything that doesn't support me, my people, or my bank account" propaganda would be a good start. I want anything that will not allow this guy to slink into the dark recesses of our country only to re-build and re-emerge with a stronger more disgusting platform of hate and vilification and lies. Metaphorically, I want him cut off at the knees, with compound fractures of both tibia, along with bilateral severed achilles tendons, perhaps even as an amputee in a wheelchair. I want his brand name disgraced, his properties ceremonially razed/demolished, and his family bankrupt, living in the same tenement houses they denied poor minorities to inhabit, working at minimum-wage jobs they refuse to respect with even a shred of decency by raising the wage. I want them to have to live on the social security and government-based health care they want to deny others, and I want every person who supported him (not Republicans, but what we refer to as "flag-waving evangelical Trumpsters") to see the just outcome of hate, evil, selfishness and lies and hopefully learn something from this.

Sorry if this seems personally against you, it is not, but it is an answer to "what more do Democrats want". At least, this is what this evangelical atheist jew heathen wants, as well as to hang with you and all the good people at the next rock show and share a beer.
We got messed up minds for these messed up times...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

phungi wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:32 am
I didn't really understand the difference between Catholics and Protestants
Nice post, phungi and clearly very personal. I want to respect that by not commenting too much even to agree or second, but I couldn't resist this particular detail. That was very much my experience.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:50 pm
it’s the internet, man. Who here hasnt said something out of character or stupid at some point?
Yup.