The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by pearlbeer »

Wolf wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:24 pm
there's no doubt he's going in for 4 more
Wolf,

Look, every man is entitled to his own opinion. I suppose I can understand how a decent, educated human being decided to vote for Trump in 2016. Today, I just don't get it -- at all. How one could support that man, at this point in time, is beyond my capacity to process. I don't see how a vote for Trump could be cast be someone who isn't willfully ignorant, or just a bad person at this point. I know that is a SUPER broad generalization and puts me in a position of truly not understanding about 40% of the country, including family and friends. It's hard for me to process.

^^^ but that is just where I am ^^^

Here is what I REALLY don't get.

Why would someone who supports Trump to the apparent level that you do take the time out to register and participate in a DBT Fan Forum? I mean, the band pretty much...not pretty much...very much stands against everything Trump stands for. It's been that way for a long, long time. I honestly don't understand how you could square a vote for Trump along side your support for this band. For me, Stranglehold is a bad ass song, and while I enjoy listening to it, I sure as shit wouldn't go to a Ted Nugent concert or buy and merch, and I damn sure wouldn't take the time to register and participate in a forum. Look, I'm all for the exchange of ideas and free speech and everything, I just don't understand how you can square those two positions or why you'd even want to take the time to...

Anyway, although I cringe at your vote, I do wish you well and hope you are safe.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I have a couple of good friends who are huge Trump supporters. One has a family business maintaining and repairing diesels.
The other is in land leveling. They both are fans of the douchebag in chief because of regulatory reform. My point being there
are justifiable reason to support Trump.

As far as predicting the outcome, I think 328 electoral votes may be pushing it, but more than 2016 is possible.

And boyourself, you would get along just fine with Cole. And Wolf.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I moved out into country 4 years ago after nearly 20 years in a super liberal super affluent ski town. I didn't even realize what a snowflake I had become. And btw I ain't trying to be derogatory when I say snowflake.
I didn't really think ahead I just needed to get back into farming. Suddenly I was surrounded by the MAGA crowd and wasn't prepared for it and it kinda jolted me. Scared me even. It's taken me four years to realize it was unfounded fear.
Well maybe it was founded, I did leave Texas for a reason, because I was born a rebel so I been rebelling against the MAGA crowd since the day I was born. I started the resistance mother fuckers! So perhaps the fear was just misguided.

Sold the place after a year and regrouped and bought property again same area. Trump Country. Just like most of rural america.
I basically had to gain tolerance for Trumpers quick. The alternative was not getting to know my neighbors. That seemed like a super shitty option considering I bought that property there because it's where I want to spend the rest of my life. It's a tight piece of property. So I got to know my neighbors. And I don't know exactly who they voting for but I'll bet it ain't a guy named Joe. And they all seem like damn fine people. Maybe they are willfully ignorant but I see willful ignorance at a high level right here in Telluride Colorado from some sho nuff elite liberals. If I may label and generalize for goodness sake.

And alas, my daughter is only in 8th grade so I'm just moving full time back to Tellurude. Got tired of being half a farmer and half a father so I choose full father. Rented the farm out to some Mennonites and I'll be back when I'm back. Just back and forth between my two extremes. It ain't as easy as I make it look.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I know I would. And thanks for the words Rod.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:09 pm
Dude you like me Cole? They gonna accuse me of being a Trumper now.😉 "they" of course being the enemy of my full blown ego.
Wanna hear something funny? I’m not a Trumper. I just think and always have that the hysteria about him is ridiculous and this idea that he’s the worst thing in the history of ever is too. I get not liking him. But all this other is too much. I’m definitely a conservative and proud to be one. I don’t know what is bad about wanting to keep more of the money you earn, individual liberty, abiding by the constitution, and law order.
Those are most of what I care about politically. Maybe not everything but that’s a lot of it.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I know you're not. It was sort of an attempt at double irony If that's makes sense

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

pearlbeer wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:11 pm
Wolf wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:24 pm
there's no doubt he's going in for 4 more
Wolf,

Look, every man is entitled to his own opinion. I suppose I can understand how a decent, educated human being decided to vote for Trump in 2016. Today, I just don't get it -- at all. How one could support that man, at this point in time, is beyond my capacity to process. I don't see how a vote for Trump could be cast be someone who isn't willfully ignorant, or just a bad person at this point. I know that is a SUPER broad generalization and puts me in a position of truly not understanding about 40% of the country, including family and friends. It's hard for me to process.

^^^ but that is just where I am ^^^

Here is what I REALLY don't get.

Why would someone who supports Trump to the apparent level that you do take the time out to register and participate in a DBT Fan Forum? I mean, the band pretty much...not pretty much...very much stands against everything Trump stands for. It's been that way for a long, long time. I honestly don't understand how you could square a vote for Trump along side your support for this band. For me, Stranglehold is a bad ass song, and while I enjoy listening to it, I sure as shit wouldn't go to a Ted Nugent concert or buy and merch, and I damn sure wouldn't take the time to register and participate in a forum. Look, I'm all for the exchange of ideas and free speech and everything, I just don't understand how you can square those two positions or why you'd even want to take the time to...

Anyway, although I cringe at your vote, I do wish you well and hope you are safe.
You said Trump voter and not conservative and you weren’t talking to me but I’m drawn. Why? Why not?
I don’t know how we got here but it’s odd to me that we can’t understand how a person can like other people or a band that isn’t one hundred percent in agreement with them. Considering this is an almost totally politically liberal forum that really seems odd to me. I just don’t care that they do t agree with me. Maybe they don’t share that sentiment but you know what, that’s their problem and not mine. Does the preaching make me roll my eyes at shows? Yeah it does. But I just don’t care about it except for when it really gets over the top. Usually I use the political rants to go take a leek or get me another beer, and get you one too if you’re standing near me and need one. I don’t like that so much of their music is so political now but that isn’t because I dont agree. I don’t agree but the problem is, political music is like political comedy. A little goes a long way and if you’re going to do it it had better be damned good or it doesn’t work. I’m not much of a fan of their last two albums but I love American Band. The songs are better is the reason why.

This next statement is going to sound like I’m just being a dick but you’ll just have to take my word for it that that isn’t what I’m trying to do. I don’t really care what Patterson or Cooley think about politics. There is just no reason for me to care. They’re entitled to their views but it’s not like what they say carries some extra meaning to me just because I like their music. And it’s not like because they say something I’m going to assume they know what they’re talking about. Maybe they do. Maybe they don’t. And both have said things in the past that I guess were meant to be inflammatory but if I’m being honest it was too ridiculous to get riled up about. It was funny instead. The thing Cooley said that time about “sooner those motherfuckers are dead and in the ground and we piss on the dirt above them.” Lol. That’s so ridiculous there’s really no way for me to take his political musings all that seriously. Maybe that’s not fair. We’ve all said stupid things. Lord knows I have. I’m just saying, they’re both just people. Why would I not listen to their music and go to their shows just because they don’t think like me when it comes to politics. You know who else doesn’t think like me politically? A mutual friend of ours, Clams. That guy has never been anything but great to me and I do t think politics has ever come up one single time when we were hanging out. Am I supposed to not like him because he votes Democrat? Nah, that ain’t me.
Doc is the same way. If anybody messed with Jonicont and I was around, they would have a big Georgia ass whipping coming their way. I love that dude. Why would how he votes matter to me.
I’m sure both those guys think I’m crazy as far as how I see things politically but that’s cool. Doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy some of the same things and be buddies. I’m glad that kind of thing isn’t a problem for me.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:16 pm
I know you're not. It was sort of an attempt at double irony If that's makes sense
Ah. Gotcha. I just got done hanging iron for ten hours, brother. I’m too tired for you to be pulling that on me.😆

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Btw I wouldn't give a shit if you were. Which is also sorta why I made the joke.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I've been reading your posts for a long time. I know what you're about and respect it.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:24 pm
I've been reading your posts for a long time. I know what you're about and respect it.
🍺

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:21 pm
Btw I wouldn't give a shit if you were. Which is also sorta why I made the joke.
That’s me, man. I don’t care if somebody is a Bernie supporter. I personally can’t fathom that but whatever. Flea is another one. That boy is so far left of me politically that I can barely see him to wave at him. But that’s my brother.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:44 pm
And alas, my daughter is only in 8th grade so I'm just moving full time back to Tellurude. Got tired of being half a farmer and half a father so I choose full father. Rented the farm out to some Mennonites and I'll be back when I'm back. Just back and forth between my two extremes. It ain't as easy as I make it look.
Ahh, the duality of the Colorado thing. That would do my head in. Good for you for managing it and making it work.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:33 pm
My point being there
This is a good take on that:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/02/politics ... index.html

Flea

Post by Flea »

305 Engine wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:38 pm

Slightly different metaphor but.... the male orgasm is fairly straightforward and crude. Whereas the female orgasm tends to be complex and dependent on skill and nuance.

Pretty much anything involving the Middle East demands skill and nuance.

It needed a female orgasm, but Trump just got his mushroom cock out and splurted everywhere.
I wish I had said that.
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole, I'm curious what a man with your political views can do come election day. You say you're not pro-Trump, but you're certainly not voting for Biden, so do you just sit it out? Vote third party? Write-in?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:52 pm
Cole, I'm curious what a man with your political views can do come election day. You say you're not pro-Trump, but you're certainly not voting for Biden, so do you just sit it out? Vote third party? Write-in?
Sat it out last time.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:12 pm
Which detoured me back to personal agency.
Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:31 pm
And personal agency is why. I don’t want them to do things for me. I’ve got that covered. All I need them to do is just stay out of my way.
Do either of you have health insurance?
Perhaps you have well water, but if you don't, where does your water come from?
Where does your electricity come from?
Boy, how do you get from Telluride to your farm?
CY how do you get to where you hunt?
CY didn't you graduate from the University of Georgia, courtesy of the good people of Georgia and the United States?
What device are you using to connect to this page? Would it exist without government funded research and government funded public research universities? Hell, even if you had your device what would you do with it w/out the internet? Guess who paid for the internet?
Either of you prescribed any medication? How much research did you do before you started taking it? Chances are you figured if your doctor prescribed it, it was safe. Chances are your doctor thought it was safe because the FDA approved it.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Zip City wrote: ↑
Sat it out last time.

Interesting that you say that. My ex wife asked me the other day if I was voting. I wouldn't tell her because I didn't want her reaction either way.
And really, I just don't know if I am. And I'm ok with that. The new ok I guess.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:40 pm
boyyourself wrote:
That’s me, man. I don’t care if somebody is a Bernie supporter. I personally can’t fathom that but whatever. Flea is another one. That boy is so far left of me politically that I can barely see him to wave at him. But that’s my brother.
If I had to shitcan all the friends who disagree with me politically (or any other way), I would not have many friends. Love you Cole, you're a righteous dude.

Now it's dark.

Flea

Post by Flea »

^^^^^^

Now, can we stop stop tugging each others' cocks and get back to arguing?
Now it's dark.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Flea wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:06 pm
Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:40 pm
boyyourself wrote:
If I had to shitcan all the friends who disagree with me politically (or any other way), I would not have many friends. Love you Cole, you're a righteous dude.

Lol. Love you, brother. Can’t wait to hang out again. Can ‘20 just damned end already?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:00 pm
boyyourself wrote:
Which detoured me back to personal agency.
Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:31 pm
And personal agency is why. I don’t want them to do things for me. I’ve got that covered. All I need them to do is just stay out of my way.
Do either of you have health insurance?
Perhaps you have well water, but if you don't, where does your water come from?
Where does your electricity come from?
Boy, how do you get from Telluride to your farm?
CY how do you get to where you hunt?
CY didn't you graduate from the University of Georgia, courtesy of the good people of Georgia and the United States?
What device are you using to connect to this page? Would it exist without government funded research and government funded public research universities? Hell, even if you had your device what would you do with it w/out the internet? Guess who paid for the internet?
Either of you prescribed any medication? How much research did you do before you started taking it? Chances are you figured if your doctor prescribed it, it was safe. Chances are your doctor thought it was safe because the FDA approved it.
I hunt behind my house on the land that I own, have a well, grow, kill, clean, and process a lot of what my family and I eat. But point taken. I still want less of them and not more and I’ll always feel that way. And the government of course only pays for anything with money they take from us.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

User avatarFlea
Post Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:09 pm

^^^^^^

Now, can we stop stop tugging each others' cocks and get back to arguing?

Not til I'm finished

Clams

Post by Clams »

boyyourself wrote:
I just don't who to blame so I quit trying to figure out who to blame.
I appreciates that
Last edited by Clams on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

LBRod wrote:
I have a couple of good friends who are huge Trump supporters. One has a family business maintaining and repairing diesels.
The other is in land leveling. They both are fans of the douchebag in chief because of regulatory reform. My point being there

As far as predicting the outcome, I think 328 electoral votes may be pushing it, but more than 2016 is possible.

i'ma say 324 now. love ya Rod. see ya at the rock show!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Wolf wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:01 pm
LBRod wrote:

i'ma say 324 now. love ya Rod. see ya at the rock show!

You gave Hawaii back to Biden? How generous!! :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:13 pm
And the government of course only pays for anything with money they take from us.
Absolutely. In theory, we the people decide how much money to give the government and how the government should spend it but we are all so alienated from the government and so far removed from having any say in how that money gets used that "take" is the inarguably correct term.
Cole Younger wrote:
I hunt behind my house on the land that I own
More than hunting/growing/processing your food, which is something I at least theoretically could choose to do, the idea that you can hunt on your own land is totally mind blowing to me and communicates more clearly than anything else I can think of how different our lives are. My current house is the biggest piece of property anyone in my family has ever owned and it's less than 5,000 square feet.* Not the house, the entire lot. That kind of thing has lots of implications.

*For those of you not used to dealing in such small quantities of land that is well less than 1/4 acre.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:59 am
Cole Younger wrote:
And the government of course only pays for anything with money they take from us.
Absolutely. In theory, we the people decide how much money to give the government and how the government should spend it but we are all so alienated from the government and so far removed from having any say in how that money gets used that "take" is the inarguably correct term.
Cole Younger wrote:
I hunt behind my house on the land that I own
More than hunting/growing/processing your food, which is something I at least theoretically could choose to do, the idea that you can hunt on your own land is totally mind blowing to me and communicates more clearly than anything else I can think of how different our lives are. My current house is the biggest piece of property anyone in my family has ever owned and it's less than 5,000 square feet.* Not the house, the entire lot. That kind of thing has lots of implications.

*For those of you not used to dealing in such small quantities of land that is well less than 1/4 acre.
I was going to talk about this the other day and I got sidetracked in all that foolishness with chuck. This is what the people who make all the “dumbfuckistahn” type comments are missing and I’ve never really known how to get them to understand until right now. In more urban areas you have lots more people and they’re living a lot closer together so you sort of have to have more rules and things have to be more restrictive. That’s stating the obvious but I’m doing so to contrast it with way people live in places like here in rural Georgia or most other Southern and Midwestern states or “dumbfuckistahn” and the “slave states” for those who prefer that. I live on a hundred and twenty acres if woods with a fifteen acre field. It’s surrounded by miles of woods owned by other people. I have another piece of land two miles up the dirt road from me that is another hundred and twenty. It has two ponds on it with a creek running through it. Most people around here live this way. Of course there are folks who live in town but a lot of them own land that is outside of town. I’m by no means a rich guy. I have done pretty well for myself and my family but I’m far from being wealthy in terms of money. Now in other ways I absolutely feel that I am but that’s a separate conversation.

Considering the contrast that you described in the way you and I live and even more so with the additional information that I just provided, is it any wonder that we don’t think we should have to live exactly like people in big cities with all the rules and restrictions that come with that different life? I bet you don’t know many people who own a gun. I own a lot of them. Everybody I know around here does too. When you live out in the woods owning a bunch of guns is an entirely different thing than it is in a city. When your closest neighbor is half a mile away through a bunch of woods it’s just not the same thing as a big city where people live right on top of each other. This is one reason the electoral college makes perfect sense to me. Why should people who live a completely different type of life from me get foist their wants and what makes sense where they are onto me just because a bunch of people live where they live who aren’t even really aware of how different a big chunk of the country lives? If nothing else I hope this helps in providing an understanding for why some states vote differently rather than they just must be racist and stupid. No, they live a completely different type of life and what makes sense for people in densely populated areas doesn’t make sense for us. Personally I think we have a lot more freedom and it’s why you get the backlash when people from some big city in some other part of the country retire and move to “dumbfuckistahn” and then want to start trying to implement the same restrictions they had where they cane from. No. It doesn’t apply here. Two totally different worlds almost. And this is a big part of the divide in this country.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:18 am
I was going to talk about this the other day and I got sidetracked in all that foolishness with chuck. This is what the people who make all the “dumbfuckistahn” type comments are missing and I’ve never really known how to get them to understand until right now. In more urban areas you have lots more people and they’re living a lot closer together so you sort of have to have more rules and things have to be more restrictive. That’s stating the obvious but I’m doing so to contrast it with way people live in places like here in rural Georgia or most other Southern and Midwestern states or “dumbfuckistahn” and the “slave states” for those who prefer that. I live on a hundred and twenty acres if woods with a fifteen acre field. It’s surrounded by miles of woods owned by other people. I have another piece of land two miles up the dirt road from me that is another hundred and twenty. It has two ponds on it with a creek running through it. Most people around here live this way. Of course there are folks who live in town but a lot of them own land that is outside of town. I’m by no means a rich guy. I have done pretty well for myself and my family but I’m far from being wealthy in terms of money. Now in other ways I absolutely feel that I am but that’s a separate conversation.

Considering the contrast that you described in the way you and I live and even more so with the additional information that I just provided, is it any wonder that we don’t think we should have to live exactly like people in big cities with all the rules and restrictions that come with that different life? I bet you don’t know many people who own a gun. I own a lot of them. Everybody I know around here does too. When you live out in the woods owning a bunch of guns is an entirely different thing than it is in a city. When your closest neighbor is half a mile away through a bunch of woods it’s just not the same thing as a big city where people live right on top of each other. This is one reason the electoral college makes perfect sense to me. Why should people who live a completely different type of life from me get foist their wants and what makes sense where they are onto me just because a bunch of people live where they live who aren’t even really aware of how different a big chunk of the country lives? If nothing else I hope this helps in providing an understanding for why some states vote differently rather than they just must be racist and stupid. No, they live a completely different type of life and what makes sense for people in densely populated areas doesn’t make sense for us. Personally I think we have a lot more freedom and it’s why you get the backlash when people from some big city in some other part of the country retire and move to “dumbfuckistahn” and then want to start trying to implement the same restrictions they had where they cane from. No. It doesn’t apply here. Two totally different worlds almost. And this is a big part of the divide in this country.
I agree w/ this almost completely. In particular, I think I have posted here several times over the years that the biggest problem underlying the Second Amendment flashpoint is that "gun" (or rifle or what have you) means very different things in different parts of the country. It is hard to have a conversation, much less make decisions, when we don't even agree on what words mean. Besides having a huge influence on our ability to compromise, our failure to recognize this basic problem is just plain embarrassing.

Your comments on the electoral college are interesting both for what they say and what they don't say. I'm tempted to copy a previous relevant post of mine but apparently that was not helpful so I will try to say it differently. Everything you say about the protections afforded to people in smaller states by the electoral college can be reversed and said about the rules foisted upon big states by smaller states who have outsized say in what decisions are made due to the way the Senate and the EC are structured yet have no clue how people in big cities live or how they want to live. It's a problem. A real big serious problem. A good start would be for everyone to realize the nature of this problem and to work on finding the right balance, which may not be the same balance as made sense to a small group of people in the 18th century (see below). It doesn't help when politicians like Mitch McConnell make outrageously incendiary, uninformed and incorrect statements about blue states as he's rubbing our noses into some objectionable action he's taken simply because he can and not because he represents anything close to a majority of this country. A little humility would go a long way in this country and that applies across the board.

I absolutely believe in and fear the potential tyranny of the majority. I absolutely believe in and fear the potential tyranny of the minority. So did our Founding Fathers. They came up with a system that was new in the world and included a bunch of compromises to address these concerns among others. That system and those compromises worked for a long time (at least for white men, etc etc). But I don't think it's at all surprising that those compromises and those systems aren't working so well more than 200 years later especially when we now expect the system to accommodate more states, more territory, more kinds of people and more ways of life than ever before. Can we tweak (or rebuild) our systems in ways that protect both various majorities (depending on the issue) and various minorities (same)? I have no idea. But we ought to be thinking about it a lot more carefully and with a lot more understanding and humility than we currently do.

There is a view of American history which says that our history has been the evolution of a bunch of states into a unified nation. The Civil War is often pointed to as the key moment in this evolution but, having eliminated slavery, it was really commercial developments after the Civil War that define our current circumstances. In everything from the establishment of the ICC and the regulation of railroads, to trust busting, to the New Deal to the interstate highway system we have evolved an overriding Federal system that has permitted the unbelievable economic growth of this country. One can compare and contrast the economic development of Europe where the existence of small separate states was a major factor in limiting growth of all the European countries. This was only addressed after WWII w/ the development of the Common Market and eventually the EU.

It is only in the last, say, 20 to 30 years that the downside of this history has become obvious and has come to dominate our politics. For all practical purposes we cannot unwind our economic interdependence so we better figure out a way to balance our other conflicting interests and to protect all the constituencies that need protecting. The path in that direction is at best unclear.