The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

As long as we're talking stupid, how about some equal time stupidity:

There's some Republican Congressman (I think; might be a state official) who believes the recent covid outbreak among Republican officials including the president must be a conspiracy by the Democrats, because how come only Republicans are getting it? The guy seems to literally not know how the virus spreads (or just doesn't care if there's some conspiratorial bullshit to add to the chaos and noise). I can't take much more of this.

I'm so tired, I haven't slept a wink
I'm so tired, my mind is on the blink
I wonder should I get up and fix myself a drink
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:29 pm

There's some Republican Congressman (I think; might be a state official) who believes the recent covid outbreak among Republican officials including the president must be a conspiracy by the Democrats, because how come only Republicans are getting it? The guy seems to literally not know how the virus spreads (or just doesn't care if there's some conspiratorial bullshit to add to the chaos and noise). I can't take much more of this.

I understand, man. But don’t lose your ability laugh. That is part of what has gotten me through nearly four years of watching the political war in this country just get more and more insane and watching people now quite literally physically attacking people over politics. Nearly everyday there will be something so stupid that I laugh my ass off.

I’m stubborn but I still think most people are not wild eyed ideologically possessed nut bags. I think those people are few in number but they are not being stopped which is frustrating. I really don’t think most people have the “Fuck them! This is war! Aaaaaaaaargggh!” mindset.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The duality of the Southern Thing in real time:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/04/opin ... 029039208a

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Fuck Trump
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

That would be the formerly great now laughingstock Walter Reed Hospital.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:41 pm
Fuck Trump
+1

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Cole Younger wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:45 pm
beantownbubba wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:29 pm

I understand, man. But don’t lose your ability laugh. That is part of what has gotten me through nearly four years of watching the political war in this country just get more and more insane and watching people now quite literally physically attacking people over politics. Nearly everyday there will be something so stupid that I laugh my ass off.

I’m stubborn but I still think most people are not wild eyed ideologically possessed nut bags. I think those people are few in number but they are not being stopped which is frustrating. I really don’t think most people have the “Fuck them! This is war! Aaaaaaaaargggh!” mindset.
Nothing personal, Cole but it is a war for the very soul of this country. 1 of my friends lives in Montana & I had to quit talking to him totally for several weeks because of COVIDIOT & all that goes with that tendencies. It's scary that those attitudes are still prevelant in the south & flyover states. Scary because despite everything Trump could win still. I'm no fan of Biden at all & think it is reprehensible the way the Democrats have treated Bernie Sanders. He represented a possibility that there was a slight chance of change for the better to me. Most of his talking points were very pro human being. For instance, the health care system in the US is an abomination & the joke of the civilized world. As someone who has to deal with it on an essentially every day basis I could tell you some horror stories but I don't like to whine. We are basically living in the 4th reich. This is the vision that the Germans had pre WW2 regarding the marriage of corporations & government. Goebels would be proud of the advances in propaganda. The Democrats are just as guilty in that regard. I mean manipulating the media & the media (owned by mega corporations) manipulating them. I don't get how most people seem ignorant of what is being done & indeed go along with it. We are well down the road to tyranny. It's a long & insidious journey. Most of us are or have been turned into serfs to the corporate overlords. Something has to change. Or maybe it doesn't & we will be good as long as we have our big screen TVs & an occasional trip to Appleby's. The US has already sold out our place in the world leading production. Innovation will be the next thing to go. We've become a war mongering people where most energy & resources is directed to the military despite the fact we haven't been in a legal war since WW2. Historically, it's the sign of a dying empire. I'm not going to be around to see how it turns out but am very afraid for the next generations. They are going to have a very tough time of it. Sorry for the rant but I feel pretty strongly. I could go on but don't want to be an asshole about it. Nothing funny about peace, love & understanding.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

This is an excerpt from a much longer conversation that I enjoyed. Fridman and Malice are interesting thinkers and while I tend to lean more toward Fridman’s way of thinking I do agree with more than just some of what Malice says. I’m not an anarchist even though my wife accuses me of being one. Lol. But I have begun to believe over the years that maybe our system can’t work for us anymore. I will never want anything that would
mean less freedom even while I realize anarchy is almost certainly not realistic. Important to know that both of these guys are Russian and were raised by people who knew real totalitarianism. The discussion about language here is particularly interesting to me and I got a good laugh out of their little discussion about ants and bees.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gx4H6ZlV_vE

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Zip City wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:41 pm
Fuck Trump
Fuck Trump, my friend. Stay safe.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Anybody have a clue what Trump's "no stimulus now" position is about? Was it just an attempt to put pressure on the Dems to accept the "skinny plan" that he later endorsed? Even by Trumpian standards the past few days have been dizzying.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:54 pm
This is an excerpt from a much longer conversation that I enjoyed. Fridman and Malice are interesting thinkers and while I tend to lean more toward Fridman’s way of thinking I do agree with more than just some of what Malice says. I’m not an anarchist even though my wife accuses me of being one. Lol. But I have begun to believe over the years that maybe our system can’t work for us anymore. I will never want anything that would
mean less freedom even while I realize anarchy is almost certainly not realistic. Important to know that both of these guys are Russian and were raised by people who knew real totalitarianism. The discussion about language here is particularly interesting to me and I got a good laugh out of their little discussion about ants and bees.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gx4H6ZlV_vE
Anarchism always has a touch of exotic surface appeal, but I am, shall we say, skeptical about its value in practice. I will look forward to checking this out at some point (i'm not much for podcasts). But right off the top one has to wonder about the ability of 300+ Million people to govern themselves responsibly and productively when we can't even agree on wearing masks during a pandemic. If mask-wearing is a political football based on some notion of "freedom" that I don't understand and "religious liberty" has come to mean "religious intolerance" or "some religions are better than others" I don't see how we even have the vocabulary to support anarchy much less the will and skills.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:24 am
Anybody have a clue what Trump's "no stimulus now" position is about? Was it just an attempt to put pressure on the Dems to accept the "skinny plan" that he later endorsed? Even by Trumpian standards the past few days have been dizzying.
My read on it is that Trump acted on his own, without much, if any, consultation from his advisors. (shocker!) He is also fairly ill and on a number of new medications, so there is that too....

Hours after his "no stimulus!" declaration, he began essentially negotiating with himself on individual, stand alone bills. It should be noted that the House has (repeatedly) passed a $2T+ stimulus bill, which the Senate refuses to vote on. Additionally, the Dems have signaled they are open to passing standalone stimulus bills as well, but the Senate (and President) have rejected these plans too.

So, Bubba, although I appreciate and respect your inquiry for more detail and policy positions, this appears to be nothing more that a poorly organized shit show. You know...status quo.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:55 pm
You know...status quo.
Or as they used to say in the military, Situation Normal: All Fucked Up.

PS: No doubt that Trump went way off the reservation w/ his order to shut down negotiations. Surprised everyone. A lot of people are blaming the drugs. Could be, who knows?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:30 am
"religious liberty" has come to mean "religious intolerance" or "some religions are better than others"
Coincidentally, David Von Drehle's op-ed in today's WaPo is on point. I think it's a good, concise, non-hysterical summary of what the law is and should be and why the "religious liberty" folks are wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... _headlines

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

cortez the killer

bovine knievel wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:01 pm
Shut up and play!!!!

Am I doing this right?
- DPM

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

https://newstalk1290.com/listen-live/popup/

trump live on rush for 3 hours. on now.

posted for posterity.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kind of confirms what I’ve always suspected. A lot of Fox News’ viewers are left wing people who hate watch.

dime in the gutter

it's only the stable genius president of the united states talking bat shit crazy to 10s of millions of listeners.

i think what he is saying needs to be heard, so i am listening. should i not?

barr should listen also.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

dime in the gutter wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:41 pm
it's only the stable genius president of the united states talking bat shit crazy to 10s of millions of listeners.

i think what he is saying needs to be heard, so i am listening. should i not?

barr should listen also.
Man I don’t care what you do. It was an observation rather than a criticism. No need to get your ass on your shoulders. If you think people should be heard rather than silenced regardless of how bad their ideas are or how awful their message may be or simply whether you agree with them or not, I do too. But that view is becoming very unpopular in an age where hate speech is simply the speech you hate.

dime in the gutter

ahhh, gotcha. makes sense now.

i thought you were calling me a left wing person who hates to watch fox news. i love to watch fox news.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:10 pm
ahhh, gotcha. makes sense now.

i thought you were calling me a left wing person who hates to watch fox news. i love to watch fox news.
Oh I was calling you that. I was just surprised you took it as a slam.

dime in the gutter

did you tune in to rush today?

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:40 pm
Neaux.

dime in the gutter

Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:54 pm
Neaux.
you misspelled fascist.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:30 am
Cole Younger wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:54 pm
Neaux.
you misspelled fascist.
Say it ain’t seaux.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Trump on Rush does nothing more than rule up the people who were already going to vote for him. It’s not a way to add voters.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Zip City wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:29 am
Trump on Rush does nothing more than rule up the people who were already going to vote for him. It’s not a way to add voters.
Imagine the consternation and pearl-clutching that would be occuring if former President Obama said "fuck" live on the public airwaves.
Now it's dark.

cortez the killer

Flea wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:55 pm
Zip City wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:29 am
Imagine the consternation and pearl-clutching that would be occuring if former President Obama said "fuck" live on the public airwaves.
That was pretty bad. Trump’s done a lot of shitty things and seemingly got away with them. To his credit, he’s yet to do the most reprehensible thing a president can do - wear a tan suit. If he does that, it’s game over.
- DPM