The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
Zip City wrote:I don’t trust “the people” to make good choices either.

So here we are
There are those in "Libertarian" circles who would answer fuck off slaver.
Those sound like very reasonable people who have open minds and open hearts
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

After 2 nights of rioting, downtown Seattle is totally trashed. Now the National Guard has been mobilized. Thing is, there were plenty of peaceful protests with very few incidents like the part of town where I live. It's the idiots who don't really care about the issue at hand but rather are looking for free loot & random destruction that are the problem. We've been through this before with the WTO riots of several years ago. I got caught up in that mess trying to get to my car after a basketball game. I'm afraid our idiot in chief is going to use this as an excuse to try & declare martial law. The US is in deep shit & I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet. I hope all of us make it through relatively unscathed. It's starting to look like that isn't going to be possible now though.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:
They are tired of that boot you seem to embrace. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

LBRod wrote:
Zip City wrote:
They are tired of that boot you seem to embrace. ;)
So their solution is "fuck everyone else, as long as I'm happy, fuck you!!!" ???

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

chuckrh wrote:After 2 nights of rioting, downtown Seattle is totally trashed. Now the National Guard has been mobilized. Thing is, there were plenty of peaceful protests with very few incidents like the part of town where I live. It's the idiots who don't really care about the issue at hand but rather are looking for free loot & random destruction that are the problem. We've been through this before with the WTO riots of several years ago. I got caught up in that mess trying to get to my car after a basketball game. I'm afraid our idiot in chief is going to use this as an excuse to try & declare martial law. The US is in deep shit & I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet. I hope all of us make it through relatively unscathed. It's starting to look like that isn't going to be possible now though.
Every time I've been on a big demo of any kind, there's ALWAYS a tiny minority that want to escalate it. Often it's self proclaimed anarchists being opportunistic. Or, just general assholes.

More disturbing is the notion that it might be an organised and deliberate attempt to provoke. But, probably best to steer clear of conspiracy theories. What is for certain is that your dipshit in chief will try and take advantage.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

305 Engine wrote:
chuckrh wrote:After 2 nights of rioting, downtown Seattle is totally trashed. Now the National Guard has been mobilized. Thing is, there were plenty of peaceful protests with very few incidents like the part of town where I live. It's the idiots who don't really care about the issue at hand but rather are looking for free loot & random destruction that are the problem. We've been through this before with the WTO riots of several years ago. I got caught up in that mess trying to get to my car after a basketball game. I'm afraid our idiot in chief is going to use this as an excuse to try & declare martial law. The US is in deep shit & I don't think we've seen the worst of it yet. I hope all of us make it through relatively unscathed. It's starting to look like that isn't going to be possible now though.
Every time I've been on a big demo of any kind, there's ALWAYS a tiny minority that want to escalate it. Often it's self proclaimed anarchists being opportunistic. Or, just general assholes.

More disturbing is the notion that it might be an organised and deliberate attempt to provoke. But, probably best to steer clear of conspiracy theories. What is for certain is that your dipshit in chief will try and take advantage.
It's 3 nights now & it spread to the suburbs last night. Ugly.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

chuckrh wrote:
305 Engine wrote:

It's 3 nights now & it spread to the suburbs last night. Ugly.
I woke up to "kill cops" spray painted on the street in front of my house.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

No way to delay

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7O3fOXXKo

Just thought I would put this here. Salatin is a voice of reason.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

boyyourself wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7O3fOXXKo

Not exactly the main point but a great takeaway for this city boy: "beeves." :) Not to be confused w/ The Beav.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
boyyourself wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7O3fOXXKo

Not exactly the main point but a great takeaway for this city boy: "beeves." :) Not to be confused w/ The Beav.
A likely reason UT’s Longhorn mascot is named Bevo (there are several theories)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The question was, for those of you around then, where things worse in the late 60's or now. My response generated a fair amount of commentary so I thought I'd post it here:

Version 1: It was worse then. Nothing that has happened so far currently can match the impact of the assassinations of King & Kennedy two months apart, coming so soon (in historical time) after the assassinations of JFK and Malcolm X, to be followed by the assassinations at Kent State (for all intents and purposes 1970 was part of the late 60's). In "pop culture" terms, there was Altamont reversing in a matter of mere months the incredible exuberance briefly fostered by Woodstock and the Tate-LaBianco murders which added to the sense that the world was simply out of control.

Version 2: It's worse now because of the level of cynicism and despair; the sense that the system is irretrievably broken, corrupt and unresponsive; the inflammatory and all encompassing nature of social media; and the not to be underestimated presence of Donald Trump, a truly destructive and divisive figure who combines that bad attitude with a level of ignorance and incompetence that could never before even be imagined in a president. While there is a danger in overgeneralizing, I think it's fair to say that there was an underlying sense of optimism about the 60's in that the civil rights movement seemed to actually be working, change through the system seemed possible, the Woodstock moment and even the war protests were undergirded by the beliefs that the government could and would be responsive and that government was fundamentally a vehicle for positive change. I think it's impossible to overgeneralize by saying those beliefs are virtually non-existent these days.

305 Engine

Post by 305 Engine »

beantownbubba wrote:The question was, for those of you around then, where things worse in the late 60's or now. My response generated a fair amount of commentary so I thought I'd post it here:

Version 1: It was worse then. Nothing that has happened so far currently can match the impact of the assassinations of King & Kennedy two months apart, coming so soon (in historical time) after the assassinations of JFK and Malcolm X, to be followed by the assassinations at Kent State (for all intents and purposes 1970 was part of the late 60's). In "pop culture" terms, there was Altamont reversing in a matter of mere months the incredible exuberance briefly fostered by Woodstock and the Tate-LaBianco murders which added to the sense that the world was simply out of control.

Version 2: It's worse now because of the level of cynicism and despair; the sense that the system is irretrievably broken, corrupt and unresponsive; the inflammatory and all encompassing nature of social media; and the not to be underestimated presence of Donald Trump, a truly destructive and divisive figure who combines that bad attitude with a level of ignorance and incompetence that could never before even be imagined in a president. While there is a danger in overgeneralizing, I think it's fair to say that there was an underlying sense of optimism about the 60's in that the civil rights movement seemed to actually be working, change through the system seemed possible, the Woodstock moment and even the war protests were undergirded by the beliefs that the government could and would be responsive and that government was fundamentally a vehicle for positive change. I think it's impossible to overgeneralize by saying those beliefs are virtually non-existent these days.
Have to go with version 2.

I think the effect social media has cannot be downplayed. It's ability to amplify and legitimise fringe, dangerous views. It's ability to blur the distinction between truth and lie. Trump and other phenomenon like him (I'm thinking worldwide) are unimaginable without it. What effect might facebook have had if it had been around during the chaos of the 60s? It probably would have made it worse.

Of course, I'm aware that I'm writing this on a form of social media so... i guess its not all bad.

For what it's worth, as a non american who loves a lot of things about america (DBT for example) watching whats happening over there is deeply sad. Thoughts with everyone over there, genuinely.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Both interesting points but I would have to go with option 2 as well. As 305 pointed out, social media plays a big role in what is happening. I also think that with everyone so divided on how the response to Covid has been (the unknown of the novel virus, with the whole mask and shut downs that have been discussed earlier in this thread) there is a lot if distrust and just overall shitty attitudes that have brought the worst out in people as of late. That with the lack of an event such as Woodstock (shit, we are all trying to enjoy some sense of community by watching shows online and posting our thoughts on forum such as this) we have all been more isolated and alone that many people just feel the doom and gloom of today. Last, you have a leader that is quoting a 1967 police chief on how to handle this whole mess and it is hard not to feel like out society has gone to shit in the matter of a couple months. I continue to try and find the bright spots and the positives but it continues to be more difficult when all we read about and see is how divided everyone has become. We really need to find some unity, soon, for everyones sanity. I really think that the 60's seemed to be a little more optimistic, but it really isn't fair for me to judge that too much seeing how I was not born until the late 70's so I really have no actual reference besides history books.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Last edited by walthers on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Not sure why I quoted myself there, was trying to edit. Sorry for messing it up.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

305 Engine wrote: as a non american who loves a lot of things about america (DBT for example) watching whats happening over there is deeply sad. Thoughts with everyone over there, genuinely.
On behalf of all Americans, thank you. Rest assured (not that I can see what comfort it provides) we are as confused and shocked by how quickly things have deteriorated as you are.

A couple of things I left out that are relevant to the previous responses:

Re Version 2: While I sometimes conflate them in my mind, social media and 24/7 cable news are not the same thing and are in fact quite distinct. But they do play off each other and in essence goad each other on while also changing context: For example playing to the news cycle by politicians; the combination of cable news and social media which sometimes make it feel like the apocalypse is upon us almost without regard to what's actually going on; the contribution to the dumbing down of the culture by talking heads pressured to instantly analyze every development or pseudo development w/out benefit of facts or perspective.

Re Version 1: The inter-generational nature of the conflict, especially over the war but also over civil rights to an extent was very intense and personalized national issues/politics for so many people. To be only partially facetious, the threat of a long haired son coming home from college (or a daughter having unmarried sex, perhaps w/ more than one partner) was scarier than the thought of a Black family moving into the neighborhood. The fights at the proverbial "dinner table" were personal in a way I don't think they've been before or since and that creates a unique kind of pressure and a unique fear of the imminent collapse of society.

whatwouldcooleydo?

embrace the bootlickery

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

What we are going through these days is a partial answer to what if Wallace made it to the White House?

whatwouldcooleydo?

LBRod wrote:What we are going through these days is a partial answer to what if Wallace made it to the White House?
His inaugural speech

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Most of the people I've talked to who were around (my parents and their generation) think the 60's were worse, but they were in late grade school/junior high and not paying that much attention. When you add the omnipresence of the Cold War and the increased violence in the US, I get it.

The current state scares me more for the future, because at least in the 60's there wasn't an argument over what was truth. It was an argument about the best way to deal with it. We can't even agree on basic facts.

I think the main thing from keeping things from getting worse in terms of violence is the relative level of comfort even the most down trodden Americans enjoy simply as a virtue of living in this time in human history. We're close to being on the Matrix, and that makes it hard to sustain rage.

Flea

Post by Flea »

I really did not sign up for this shit, I was eagerly anticipating The Zombie Apocalypse. I would THRIVE during that motherfucker.
Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I would argue that the current system isn’t broken at all. It’s operating exactly like it was designed

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

This popped into my head:

If Napoleon the pig had been 1/2 as cartoonish as Trump, then Animal Farm would have been too ridiculous to publish.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Zip City wrote:I would argue that the current system isn’t broken at all. It’s operating exactly like it was designed
High quality cynicism, Zip. I approve.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Louisville Barbecue Cook Slain by Cops ‘Fed the Police for Free’: ‘PILLAR OF THE COMMUNITY’

His name was David “YaYa” McAtee, and he was not protesting when he died in a hail of bullets on Sunday night. He was cooking his world-class barbecue at an outdoor stand.

“Anybody wanted something, he gave it to them,” his mother, Odessa Riley, told The Daily Beast. “He extended his good will to those who are sworn to be our protectors.

“He fed the police for free,” she said.

That did not prevent the police from arriving with the National Guard and ordering McAtee’s patrons to disperse for being out after a 9 p.m. weekend curfew.

"It looked like something out of a movie,” a customer named Kris Smith told a local reporter. “It looked like a freaking war zone... This is really what it comes to? We're just having drinks, chilling, and the National Guard pulls up with machine guns?... Never thought I would experience that here in America.”

A cellphone video captured a loud sound that may or may not have been a gunshot. There was a nine-second pause, a considerable time in that circumstance. Then came a dozen shots.

For the previous four nights, people in Louisville had been protesting a police killing there in March as well as last week’s killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Louisville narcotics detectives had fatally wounded a 26-year-old African-American off-duty EMT named Breonna Taylor, bursting through her front door on a no-knock search warrant. Taylor was in bed at the time. She was shot eight times. No drugs were found.

Now, police officers and guard members had shot an African-American chef at the street corner stand where he was realizing his dream, doing well while doing good.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Why This Time Is Different
Years of polite protests against Donald Trump could not do what this movement might accomplish.

Dahlia Lithwick wrote:Because Donald Trump is so laugh-out-loud absurd, so vain and fussy and so lacking in substance, protesting him was never quite serious. It was important, yes, and the policies he has enacted do real harm to real people, harm that should be loudly denounced. But these protests always had a bit of a street festival quality to them: Look at the silly carnival barker and laugh at his bad spelling and his bad hair and his poor captive wife. Even as he was stealing migrant children from their parents and locking them in iceboxes, the fundamental stupidity of the president was still center stage. But even these protests, often featuring tens of thousands of protesters, didn’t break through precisely because the predominantly white people in them could fist-bump the cops as we politely and whimsically strolled by.

Most Americans intuitively understand that Donald Trump, with his failures of cognition or compassion and his incomplete theory of mind, was a symptom and not a cause of America’s original, founding sin. Protesting a symptom occupied us for a while. But protesting the sin itself is what has finally brought people to the streets, in a sustained and combustible way. Why bother protesting a reality show when reality itself is a daily nightmare? Long before the advent of the Donald Trump presidency, Chief Justice John Roberts and his colleagues declared America “over” its racism problem. Long before the advent of the Trump presidency, police departments were hiding evidence of wrongdoing and exonerating and protecting the worst malefactors.

Now, law enforcement is armed with military weapons, military leaders are parading around D.C. in uniform, the free press is being punched, and protesters are being tear-gassed and pepper-sprayed by state actors who insist there was no tear gas or pepper spray. Just as the coronavirus again instructed us all on how America’s racism savages black lives and black livelihoods disproportionally, these protests are a master class in the same. The brokenness is centuries in the making.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

jr29

Post by jr29 »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:embrace the bootlickery

Scott Walker is the worst.

whatwouldcooleydo?

jr29 wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:embrace the bootlickery

Scott Walker is the worst.
Matt "multiple DUIs" Gaetz says, "hold my beer!"