The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

schlanky wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:
cool story, chuck!
It truly is. Definitely the most fun thing I'm gonna read about on the internets today.
x2
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

In the words of John Lennon, imagine...

Imagine if, even at this late date, Donald Trump were to redeem himself and the country by stepping up and doing the right thing in the wake of the killing of security guard Calvin Munerlyn.

Imagine the president getting up in front of the nation and unequivocally laying down the law: violence is unacceptable, armed threats are unacceptable, intimidating government workers and private employees doing their jobs is unacceptable and all of it will be prosecuted immediately whenever any of it rears its ugly head.

Imagine if Trump reached out with words of feeling, empathy, sympathy and heartfelt condolences to Mr. Munerlyn's family. What if he expressly provided that solace on behalf of a grieving nation. What if he attended the funeral. What if he announced a fitting tribute, e.g. flags at half staff, naming Munerlyn's home street after him, whatever.

Imagine that even after fuck up after inexcusable fuck up, wasted opportunity after wasted opportunity trump is yet again presented w/ the opportunity to rescue his reputation, his presidency and in a very real sense the nation and he actually takes advantage of the chance.

Imagine...

RIP Calvin Munerlyn. May your memory be a blessing to all who had the chance to know you. :cry: :cry: :cry:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

^^^^^^for above. The time has come for us to decide what kind of country we are going to be. I seriously fear that it is going to go the wrong way & it makes me sad. I probably won't live to see the end result but fear for the kids. I've written about this before but this year has the potential to get way uglier & that's not even talking about COVID-19. RIP Calvin

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:In the words of John Lennon, imagine...

Imagine if, even at this late date, Donald Trump were to redeem himself and the country by stepping up and doing the right thing in the wake of the killing of security guard Calvin Munerlyn.

Imagine the president getting up in front of the nation and unequivocally laying down the law: violence is unacceptable, armed threats are unacceptable, intimidating government workers and private employees doing their jobs is unacceptable and all of it will be prosecuted immediately whenever any of it rears its ugly head.

Imagine if Trump reached out with words of feeling, empathy, sympathy and heartfelt condolences to Mr. Munerlyn's family. What if he expressly provided that solace on behalf of a grieving nation. What if he attended the funeral. What if he announced a fitting tribute, e.g. flags at half staff, naming Munerlyn's home street after him, whatever.

Imagine that even after fuck up after inexcusable fuck up, wasted opportunity after wasted opportunity trump is yet again presented w/ the opportunity to rescue his reputation, his presidency and in a very real sense the nation and he actually takes advantage of the chance.

Imagine...

RIP Calvin Munerlyn. May your memory be a blessing to all who had the chance to know you. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Sorry, I cannot imagine that
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:

Imagine...

I'm going to hope Trump doesn't do that, because I can imagine it. The killers were black. He can go on television, call Calvin Munerlyn one of the good ones, and then traffic in every stereotype he can come up with against the killers and whoever else he feels like ranting about. Which will make things worse for all the Calvin Munerlyns.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: I can imagine it. The killers were black. He can go on television, call Calvin Munerlyn one of the good ones, and then traffic in every stereotype he can come up with against the killers
To be fair that's not quite what I was imagining, although I do think your version is more likely.
Zip City wrote:Sorry, I cannot imagine that
You are the second person to express that exact sentiment in those exact words. I can't decide how much of what I wrote, when I wrote it, was literal and how much was ironic in the spirit of your comment, zip. I know it was more than 50% literal, I really would like to see it, I believe it would be good for the country and pretty much necessary at this point, but sure part of what makes the commentary work, if it does work, is that it's so far removed from our current reality (see my response to JohnA above for more of that flavor).

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:I can't decide how much of what I wrote, when I wrote it, was literal and how much was ironic in the spirit of your comment, zip. I know it was more than 50% literal, I really would like to see it, I believe it would be good for the country and pretty much necessary at this point
I was pretty happy when Trump became a genuine contender. Based on past performance, I thought he was likely to be the least conservative of the credible Republican candidates. He'd delegate everything if he won, because he was just smart enough to know he wasn't near smart enough, and just be a figurehead.

Then he started urging people to rough up protesters at his rallies, and I saw George Wallace all over again, and knew I'd been wrong, and he's kept on proving it.

So I no longer believe he's got the capability to become better, because I'm certain he has the will to stay as he is.
beantownbubba wrote:I believe it would be good for the country and pretty much necessary at this point
I can't disagree, and yet, I'm sure it wouldn't be good by the time it was done. He'd do it wrongly--not badly, but wrongly.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Imagine...

I'm going to hope Trump doesn't do that, because I can imagine it. The killers were black. He can go on television, call Calvin Munerlyn one of the good ones, and then traffic in every stereotype he can come up with against the killers and whoever else he feels like ranting about. Which will make things worse for all the Calvin Munerlyns.
hate to say it but that was my initial reaction as well.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Michael Flynn. Bill Barr. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Please, please, please make it stop. When will it stop?

They don't even try to dress it up anymore. Naked corruption is SOP. It's hard to even count the number of ways in which this is wrong.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:Michael Flynn. Bill Barr. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

They don't even try to dress it up anymore. Naked corruption is SOP. It's hard to even count the number of ways in which this is wrong.

if this were obama, the kkk would be roasting weenies on crosses burning on the white house lawn while they got the lynching setup. MAGA!

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

snuck through the news yesterday, trump vetoed a bill that would've limited his authority to wage war on iran. shocking! it's coming. if i lived in iran i'd be digging a very deep hole to hide in. if we're really unlucky it will be china. propaganda being laid down for that too. i don't know if we can beat them. nifty way to clear a big chunk of the national debt though.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

It is so gross. I can't figure out Barr's motivation here, based on the time he came in and his career. The only logical explanation is, it seems, he wants to be an evil mastermind.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:

It is so gross. I can't figure out Barr's motivation here, based on the time he came in and his career. The only logical explanation is, it seems, he wants to be an evil mastermind.
I have no special insight but I suspect it's some or all of the classics:

Power corrupts.
He's getting something he really wants, whether that's money or something else, from Trump.
He takes great satisfaction in getting back at the kids who used to beat him up in the schoolyard, literally or figuratively.
He gets off on being above the law.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

beantownbubba wrote:[
My guess.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

LBRod wrote:
My guess.
He's in service of a higher cause: Fucking the rule of law. These two items from Talking Points Memo are worth reading:

Why The Flynn Dismissal Is Way Worse Than A Pardon

I especially appreciated this paragraph:
A lot gets made of the Justice Department’s reputation for rectitude and professionalism and the benefit of the doubt judges accord it. It’s a bit overdone. Defense lawyers and some former DOJers roll their eyes at the department’s high self-regard with good reason. But what you purport to be, what your stated values are, what you aspire to do – those all matter, even when you come up short in the moment.
I've been more than appalled at how people who know perfectly well the DOJ and especially the FBI are flawed institutions even if you support their mission have been whining like baby ice dogs about the sacred honor of Robert Mueller. If you want a peace group investigated, you send the FBI. They aren't shining knights in armor.

I think a little realism is finally beginning to seep in.

A Catastrophe for the DOJ

tinnitus photography

LBRod wrote:
My guess.
He's in service of a higher cause: Fucking the rule of law. These two items from Talking Points Memo are worth reading:

Why The Flynn Dismissal Is Way Worse Than A Pardon

I especially appreciated this paragraph:
A lot gets made of the Justice Department’s reputation for rectitude and professionalism and the benefit of the doubt judges accord it. It’s a bit overdone. Defense lawyers and some former DOJers roll their eyes at the department’s high self-regard with good reason. But what you purport to be, what your stated values are, what you aspire to do – those all matter, even when you come up short in the moment.
I've been more than appalled at how people who know perfectly well the DOJ and especially the FBI are flawed institutions even if you support their mission have been whining like baby ice dogs about the sacred honor of Robert Mueller. If you want a peace group investigated, you send the FBI. They aren't shining knights in armor.

I think a little realism is finally beginning to seep in.

A Catastrophe for the DOJ
i'd never heard that term other than from this song... what does it mean?

John A Arkansawyer

tinnitus photography wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:whining like baby ice dogs
i'd never heard that term other than from this song... what does it mean?

It means I'm a BÖC fan yelling "Marco" in a gene pool where I'm confident someone else will know enough to yell "Polo" instead of "What?"

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Trump philosophy: Let them eat swabs.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

chuckrh wrote:

if this were obama, the kkk would be roasting weenies on crosses burning on the white house lawn while they got the lynching setup. MAGA!
chuchrh, really? I seriously doubt it. Are you serious? Do you honestly think that would have happened? History tells a much different story as president Obama did plenty that was unpopular with a good portion of the country and thumbed his nose while he did it and nothing close to this ever happened.

Not that I think anybody misses me, but I never open this thread anymore and stuff like this post is a perfect example of why. I wish I hadnt this time. Don’t bother responding because I ain’t coming back for more.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote:I have no special insight but I suspect it's some or all of the classics:

Power corrupts.
He's getting something he really wants, whether that's money or something else, from Trump.
He takes great satisfaction in getting back at the kids who used to beat him up in the schoolyard, literally or figuratively.
Reading today's editorial in the NYT raises another possibility because it reminds me of just how much of Barr's mucking around has to do w/ Russia:
Barr is in service to the Russians. or is their happy idiot just like his boss.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/opin ... A3oGipTXQ4

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

Cole Younger wrote:
chuckrh wrote:

chuchrh, really? I seriously doubt it. Are you serious? Do you honestly think that would have happened? History tells a much different story as president Obama did plenty that was unpopular with a good portion of the country and thumbed his nose while he did it and nothing close to this ever happened.

Not that I think anybody misses me, but I never open this thread anymore and stuff like this post is a perfect example of why. I wish I hadnt this time. Don’t bother responding because I ain’t coming back for more.
Ya, not feeling a profound sense of loss. At least Obama wasn't a criminal as far as we know. Different times but the Rosenbergs got to meet Old Sparky for similar behavior with the Russians.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

chuckrh wrote:At least Obama wasn't a criminal as far as we know.
Are you just gonna gloss over this, chuckrh?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

cortez the killer wrote:
chuckrh wrote:At least Obama wasn't a criminal as far as we know.
Are you just gonna gloss over this, chuckrh?

I don't get it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I believe Cortez is referring to the hysteria over Obama's tan suit.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

beantownbubba wrote:I believe Cortez is referring to the hysteria over Obama's tan suit.
I must've missed that one.

tinnitus photography

Cole Younger wrote:
chuckrh wrote:

of course he did plenty that was unpopular with a good portion of the country. kinda comes with the territory of being president. however, Obama never did anything close to this Flynn bullshit and i'm actually surprised you can't see the difference.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I believe Cortez is referring to the hysteria over Obama's tan suit.
I must've missed that one.
upon reflection i think why this flew over my head is i view a suit as an uniform. with the exception of sports teams, i have an inherent distrust of uniforms of all types. they are like a bane on individuality & trying to force the herd mentality on us. when i worked for the corporate satan, i did the barest minimum in that regard. got away with it because i outproduced everyone. didn't help me with the office politics but that has never been my game & never will be. i don't even own a suit & if i have anything to say about it won't be wearing a tie ever again.

John A Arkansawyer

chuckrh wrote:with the exception of sports teams, i have an inherent distrust of uniforms of all types. they are like a bane on individuality & trying to force the herd mentality on us.
Mister Zappa had some wise words to say on that subject.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

chuckrh wrote:with the exception of sports teams, i have an inherent distrust of uniforms of all types. they are like a bane on individuality & trying to force the herd mentality on us.
Mister Zappa had some wise words to say on that subject.

Frank was a wise man. Decidedly warped but wise nonetheless.