The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

oilpiers

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by oilpiers »

I bought some beer, had some smoke, and decided I needed to watch this State of the Union. I get it now. This game show host can sell it to the disproportionally represented crowd he wants. It will be a hard fight against that.

guitarmanmcs

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shi

Post by guitarmanmcs »

You all need to relax. Trump has 2020. Maybe instead of bitching about 2016 and chasing false impeachment you should focus on where the Democrats went wrong in 2016. Seriously, it’s pathetic. They lost. Get over it. I can’t think of a more pathetic excuse for a party and I used to be a Democrat. And yes, I voted for Obama.

So you hate Trump. Good. Why not focus on why half the country doesn’t assimilate into the current liberal climate and policies? I’m sure plenty of you will have lots of snide remarks to add, go for it. All I’m saying is that if this was a football game, Alabama vs. Ohio...it would be pretty damn pathetic to be complaining three years later about your loss. Figure out where you fucked up, learn from it and move on. Maybe it’s time to realize most Americans don’t want the Bernie Sanders wetdream for America.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

guitarmanmcs wrote:You all need to relax. Trump has 2020. Maybe instead of bitching about 2016 and chasing false impeachment you should focus on where the Democrats went wrong in 2016. Seriously, it’s pathetic. They lost. Get over it. I can’t think of a more pathetic excuse for a party and I used to be a Democrat. And yes, I voted for Obama.

So you hate Trump. Good. Why not focus on why half the country doesn’t assimilate into the current liberal climate and policies? I’m sure plenty of you will have lots of snide remarks to add, go for it. All I’m saying is that if this was a football game, Alabama vs. Ohio...it would be pretty damn pathetic to be complaining three years later about your loss. Figure out where you fucked up, learn from it and move on. Maybe it’s time to realize most Americans don’t want the Bernie Sanders wetdream for America.
I had to look you up as your username didn't ring any bells and I see you're some gunhugger that's scared because you see folks buying drugs on your way to work and there was some random murder in your state's capitol or something. See I find that pathetic and I would say that makes it even but it doesn't because I'm basing your patheticness on actual statements you made and you're basing our patheticness on some strawman argument you were either fed through your fake news avenue of choice or your own completely stupid misreading of what's going on, so naw we ain't even.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Smitty wrote:
guitarmanmcs wrote:You all need to relax. Trump has 2020. Maybe instead of bitching about 2016 and chasing false impeachment you should focus on where the Democrats went wrong in 2016. Seriously, it’s pathetic. They lost. Get over it. I can’t think of a more pathetic excuse for a party and I used to be a Democrat. And yes, I voted for Obama.

I had to look you up as your username didn't ring any bells and I see you're some gunhugger that's
scared because you see folks buying drugs on your way to work and there was some random murder in your state's capitol or something. See I find that pathetic and I would say that makes it even but it doesn't because I'm basing your patheticness on actual statements you made and you're basing our patheticness on some strawman argument you were either fed through your fake news avenue of choice or your own completely stupid misreading of what's going on, so naw we ain't even.
Wow! Nice response to some good points. Don't know what guns has got to do with it but I can see why this country is so divided. :(
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The dysfunctionality and general ineffectiveness of the Democratic Party are pretty much inarguable.

OTOH, your comments about "false impeachment" (assuming that I understand what you mean by that), half the country not assimilating into the current liberal climate, Bernie Sanders and Trump in 2020 are just gratuitous unsupported bait that I choose not to take. Telling me/us to relax is just plain annoying and some might say snide.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

My cousin who is hot for Trump to march the marines into Congress and start hanging traitors wouldn't take me up on a twenty dollar bet backing Trump against the field. There's a lot of dead wood underneath that veneer.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

guitarmanmcs

Post by guitarmanmcs »

Smitty wrote:

I had to look you up as your username didn't ring any bells and I see you're some gunhugger that's scared because you see folks buying drugs on your way to work and there was some random murder in your state's capitol or something. See I find that pathetic and I would say that makes it even but it doesn't because I'm basing your patheticness on actual statements you made and you're basing our patheticness on some strawman argument you were either fed through your fake news avenue of choice or your own completely stupid misreading of what's going on, so naw we ain't even.
What an intellectual response. Seems like you took my comment a little personal, but if that shoe fits...

Yes, I do support owning guns. Yes, I do carry and have a permit to do so. What do you have against that? I guess because I respect the Second Amendment they makes me some sort of inferior hillbilly. And working in one of the most run down and crime ridden areas in Pennsylvania, not just some random murder.

You seem angry and half of your post is incoherent. What makes what even? Smitty, are you drinking and typing again?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm a Democrat, but neither I (nor anyone I know) "can't get over" the 2016 election. You're conflating our dislike of the specific person who won with our displeasure with the results of the election. I'm upset with the job that Trump is (or isn't) doing as the president, that's all.

I also don't believe the narrative that the impeachment proceedings were grounded in a desire to "undo" the 2016 election results. I believe Trump committed a series of actions that were contemptible and required congress to exercise its duties of executive oversight.

I don't care if you own guns, and have no interest in getting lost in those weeds.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm a Democrat/moderate liberal, and I have zero issue with the 2016 election and results. Like Zip, I believe the President committed an impeachable offense and needs to be held accountable for it. You know what? I feel the same way about 1998.

Trump and the behavior of the most right wingers over the past few years are completely anathema to how I think human beings in a civilized democracy/republic should behave and treat each other. Plus the hypocrisy of the American right wing is truly a sight to behold. People who have been rabidly cheering on - nay, worshiping - someone who makes their bones by being as disrespectful, cruel, and anti-norm as possible are suddenly up in arms because some old bag ripped up a copy of a speech. Give me a motherfucking break.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well said, zip & iowan.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:My cousin who is hot for Trump to march the marines into Congress and start hanging traitors wouldn't take me up on a twenty dollar bet backing Trump against the field. There's a lot of dead wood underneath that veneer.
Are you saying Trump is an overnight sensation after four painful years?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

Sherrod Brown:
Of course, the Republican senators who have covered for Mr. Trump love what he delivers for them. But Vice President Mike Pence would give them the same judges, the same tax cuts, the same attacks on workers’ rights and the environment. So that’s not really the reason for their united chorus of “not guilty.”

For the stay-in-office-at-all-cost representatives and senators, fear is the motivator. They are afraid that Mr. Trump might give them a nickname like “Low Energy Jeb” and “Lyin’ Ted,” or that he might tweet about their disloyalty. Or — worst of all — that he might come to their state to campaign against them in the Republican primary. They worry:

“Will the hosts on Fox attack me?”

“Will the mouthpieces on talk radio go after me?”

“Will the Twitter trolls turn their followers against me?”

My colleagues know they all just might. There’s an old Russian proverb: The tallest blade of grass is the first cut by the scythe. In private, many of my colleagues agree that the president is reckless and unfit. They admit his lies. And they acknowledge what he did was wrong. They know this president has done things Richard Nixon never did. And they know that more damning evidence is likely to come out.

I have asked some of them, “If the Senate votes to acquit, what will you do to keep this president from getting worse?” Their responses have been shrugs and sheepish looks.
https://www.sherrodbrown.com/frontpage/ ... _fFEJP8A3o
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Iowan wrote:I'm a Democrat/moderate liberal, and I have zero issue with the 2016 election and results. Like Zip, I believe the President committed an impeachable offense and needs to be held accountable for it. You know what? I feel the same way about 1998.

Trump and the behavior of the most right wingers over the past few years are completely anathema to how I think human beings in a civilized democracy/republic should behave and treat each other. Plus the hypocrisy of the American right wing is truly a sight to behold. People who have been rabidly cheering on - nay, worshiping - someone who makes their bones by being as disrespectful, cruel, and anti-norm as possible are suddenly up in arms because some old bag ripped up a copy of a speech. Give me a motherfucking break.
What he (and Zip) said. And I just spent five minutes on Matt Gaetz' facebook page reading the posts by those who think that Pelosi somehow violated the law. It is truly stunning.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

I'm not sure if this goes in The Unraveling thread or here, so I'll just choose to put it here. Had another good, long listen to The Unraveling last night.

Grievance Merchants --> Awaiting Resurrection

Thanks, DBT for making me feel like I'm not going batshit crazy. Holy shit, what a couple of songs for our times.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

cortez the killer

Mr. B wrote:
Iowan wrote:I'm a Democrat/moderate liberal, and I have zero issue with the 2016 election and results. Like Zip, I believe the President committed an impeachable offense and needs to be held accountable for it. You know what? I feel the same way about 1998.

What he (and Zip) said. And I just spent five minutes on Matt Gaetz' facebook page reading the posts by those who think that Pelosi somehow violated the law. It is truly stunning.
One size fits all.

Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!
- DPM

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Real post from DJTjr. ^^

I fear we are just now seeing the beginning. This shit is going to get real. Real bad. Soon.

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:Sherrod Brown:
Of course, the Republican senators who have covered for Mr. Trump love what he delivers for them. But Vice President Mike Pence would give them the same judges, the same tax cuts, the same attacks on workers’ rights and the environment. So that’s not really the reason for their united chorus of “not guilty.”

For the stay-in-office-at-all-cost representatives and senators, fear is the motivator. They are afraid that Mr. Trump might give them a nickname like “Low Energy Jeb” and “Lyin’ Ted,” or that he might tweet about their disloyalty. Or — worst of all — that he might come to their state to campaign against them in the Republican primary. They worry:

“Will the hosts on Fox attack me?”

“Will the mouthpieces on talk radio go after me?”

“Will the Twitter trolls turn their followers against me?”

My colleagues know they all just might. There’s an old Russian proverb: The tallest blade of grass is the first cut by the scythe. In private, many of my colleagues agree that the president is reckless and unfit. They admit his lies. And they acknowledge what he did was wrong. They know this president has done things Richard Nixon never did. And they know that more damning evidence is likely to come out.

I have asked some of them, “If the Senate votes to acquit, what will you do to keep this president from getting worse?” Their responses have been shrugs and sheepish looks.
https://www.sherrodbrown.com/frontpage/ ... _fFEJP8A3o
Fear is certainly ONE of the factors at play. Pence's complicity in Trump's impeachment-worthy Ukraine drug deal kind of sinks Sherrod's theory. There's also the "protect the shield" mentality at play. We saw it play out in the Catholic Church, Penn State and the NFL. Now it's the GOP's turn to play that game.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

pearlbeer wrote:Image

Real post from DJTjr. ^^

I fear we are just now seeing the beginning. This shit is going to get real. Real bad. Soon.
Yeah I know this is inappropriate and I can honestly say that I’m shocked that I even think it. But this is where I have been forced to. Can anyone tell me why my beautiful, brilliant, talented, humane son is dead and a complete piece of shit like Donald trump jr gets to spread his poison and raise stupidity to an art form on a daily basis? The pain is tangible and agonizing.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

pearlbeer wrote:Image

Real post from DJTjr. ^^

If/when Trump wins in 2020, there will be absolutely no filter from him or his family. We've barely scratched the surface. Trump will be calling Nancy Pelosi a cunt on Twitter

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Can anyone tell me why my beautiful, brilliant, talented, humane son is dead and a complete piece of shit like Donald trump jr gets to spread his poison and raise stupidity to an art form on a daily basis? The pain is tangible and agonizing.
:(

walthers

Post by walthers »

I've been holding back commenting on any of this. What Zip just said is exactly what I believe will happen. It is extremely unhealthy and creates an even worse climate to live and raise children in. What we are seeing is a complete teenage angst attitude by our president and his family that says "I don't give a FUCK and if you don't agree with meI will call you names, spit in your face and bully the shit out of you until I get my way." It is an attitude that is so counter productive to a healthy society. People wonder why so much bullying, violence and extreme bigotry exist and you really don't have to look much further than the leader of our country, one of the most powerful countries in the world, and the example he is setting that it is OK to let your emotions run rampant when you don't get your way and it is apparent that he has raised his son that way.

On the flip side, the Democrats have not done themselves any favors as well and while Pelosi ripping the speech in half is not the end of the world, it does show that she has in some ways stooped to the level of immaturity that our president has set. Before anyone jumps on me and begins in with the "oh, he has been triggered, fucking snowflake" think again. This shit is real, it is scary and it is very unfortunate what has become acceptable in our culture, politics and society. It really is as simple as people are not held accountable for their actions, words, or the oaths they took before accepting a position in public office that is supposed to represent the people, not their own personal agendas. What every happened to agreeing to disagree while standing for what one believes in? I fear for the future.

BTB, really sorry for your loss.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think you're spot on about Pelosi ripping up the speech, and I think she is getting some deserved blowback for it

John A Arkansawyer

cortez the killer wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:My cousin who is hot for Trump to march the marines into Congress and start hanging traitors wouldn't take me up on a twenty dollar bet backing Trump against the field. There's a lot of dead wood underneath that veneer.
Are you saying Trump is an overnight sensation after four painful years?
Yes. And asking, "Why does it hurt when I pee?" I have a suspicion the two are related.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote: :(
walthers wrote:BTB, really sorry for your loss.
Thank you.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

walthers, I feel the same way about Pelosi. I just have issue with Republicans complaining about it.

I actually had a positive conversation about SOTU with some pro Trump coworkers. They both enthusiastically agreed that Trump’s refusal to shake Pelosi’s hand was unacceptably childish. While I doubt they’ll not vote for Trump, they both expressed fatigue at the lack of civility in his behavior and acknowledged that he won’t be held accountable.

In a way, this was encouraging. I’ve long thought the biggest Trump posed was not in his policies, but that he would normalize the idea of hostility towards anyone we disagree with. The bastard hasn’t won that fight yet, and maybe he won’t.

walthers

Post by walthers »

Agreed Iowan. He has not won yet and I think that the more civil conversations people have with one another, like the one you had today with your coworkers, is what is needed to combat people being hostile with others who do not share their same point of view. Sadly, many people see the example being set by Trump as an excuse to spew hatred towards things they disagree with and their fears of the unknown.

John A Arkansawyer

beantownbubba wrote:Can anyone tell me why my beautiful, brilliant, talented, humane son is dead and a complete piece of shit like Donald trump jr gets to spread his poison and raise stupidity to an art form on a daily basis?
The closest I can come is to say that whatever arcane mechanism of random chance turns these cards up doesn't relate the two events. "Why" and "because" don't enter into it, except that in both cases, the world is grossly, painful, unreasonably unfair.

That, plus I'm really sorry, both about Brian and about how you feel right now. Unlike the world, you are capable of connecting the two events, and that brings extra sadness where no more was needed.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

walthers wrote:I've been holding back commenting on any of this. What Zip just said is exactly what I believe will happen. It is extremely unhealthy and creates an even worse climate to live and raise children in. What we are seeing is a complete teenage angst attitude by our president and his family that says "I don't give a FUCK and if you don't agree with meI will call you names, spit in your face and bully the shit out of you until I get my way." It is an attitude that is so counter productive to a healthy society. People wonder why so much bullying, violence and extreme bigotry exist and you really don't have to look much further than the leader of our country, one of the most powerful countries in the world, and the example he is setting that it is OK to let your emotions run rampant when you don't get your way and it is apparent that he has raised his son that way.

On the flip side, the Democrats have not done themselves any favors as well and while Pelosi ripping the speech in half is not the end of the world, it does show that she has in some ways stooped to the level of immaturity that our president has set. Before anyone jumps on me and begins in with the "oh, he has been triggered, fucking snowflake" think again. This shit is real, it is scary and it is very unfortunate what has become acceptable in our culture, politics and society. It really is as simple as people are not held accountable for their actions, words, or the oaths they took before accepting a position in public office that is supposed to represent the people, not their own personal agendas. What every happened to agreeing to disagree while standing for what one believes in? I fear for the future.

BTB, really sorry for your loss.
Yep. My point exactly (only made more eloquently). When the bullies get completely unhinged they will push further and further, searching for a line to cross. At some point, a line will be crossed that is too far, too much. That line seems to be rapidly approaching. Do you think those that continue to chat 'Lock her up' are just being hyperbolic? My fear is we are seeing the beginning...and this won't be solved through civil discourse and I'll include the ballot box in there.

A funny, yet I think apt example is below...but, recall....it ended in violence:

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Iowan wrote:walthers, I feel the same way about Pelosi. I just have issue with Republicans complaining about it.

I actually had a positive conversation about SOTU with some pro Trump coworkers. They both enthusiastically agreed that Trump’s refusal to shake Pelosi’s hand was unacceptably childish. While I doubt they’ll not vote for Trump, they both expressed fatigue at the lack of civility in his behavior and acknowledged that he won’t be held accountable.

In a way, this was encouraging. I’ve long thought the biggest Trump posed was not in his policies, but that he would normalize the idea of hostility towards anyone we disagree with. The bastard hasn’t won that fight yet, and maybe he won’t.
While I agree with you, I can feel/see the other side of this coin. We can't let them own the 'Both sides' and 'whataboutism' arguments. This isn't equally normalized behavior. Ripping up a speech isn't the same level of bullshit/immaturity/norms.... Look, it SUCKS. But, we are going to win this fight with dignity. Video killed the radio star, and a reality star killed reality. I believe with all my heart in Michelle Obama's "when they go low, we go high". I'm just getting increasingly concerned that doesn't sync with reality. We're likely going to need to get in the trenches and go low. If he grabs 'em by the p*ussy, let's punch 'em in the di*k.

Clams

Post by Clams »

pearlbeer wrote: While I agree with you, I can feel/see the other side of this coin. We can't let them own the 'Both sides' and 'whataboutism' arguments. This isn't equally normalized behavior. Ripping up a speech isn't the same level of bullshit/immaturity/norms.... Look, it SUCKS. But, we are going to win this fight with dignity. Video killed the radio star, and a reality star killed reality. I believe with all my heart in Michelle Obama's "when they go low, we go high". I'm just getting increasingly concerned that doesn't sync with reality. We're likely going to need to get in the trenches and go low. If he grabs 'em by the p*ussy, let's punch 'em in the di*k.
Yeah unfortunately going high and getting the moral high ground or whatever you want to call it, doesn't get you supreme court justices, health care and gun control. The republicans go low and fight dirty and truly don't give a shit and that's why they're winning.