The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

Do you think they'll still be chanting "Lock Her Up" at Trump rallies now that Trump's own Justice Dept has cleared Hillary of all wrongdoing across all allegations? Nah, I don't think so either.

The lack of self awareness, to say nothing of irony, that is demonstrated by calling the Mueller investigation, which has produced 34 indictments, 7 guilty pleas and 5 prison sentences, a hoax while chanting "Lock Her Up" about a woman who has survived 4 multi million dollar Benghazi investigations and now a Justice Dept investigation into multiple allegations without a single scratch, is stunning. Just because this sort of thing has become almost routine doesn't make it right or acceptable.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:Do you think they'll still be chanting "Lock Her Up" at Trump rallies now that Trump's own Justice Dept has cleared Hillary of all wrongdoing across all allegations? Nah, I don't think so either.

The lack of self awareness, to say nothing of irony, that is demonstrated by calling the Mueller investigation, which has produced 34 indictments, 7 guilty pleas and 5 prison sentences, a hoax while chanting "Lock Her Up" about a woman who has survived 4 multi million dollar Benghazi investigations and now a Justice Dept investigation into multiple allegations without a single scratch, is stunning. Just because this sort of thing has become almost routine doesn't make it right or acceptable.
You're talking about the people that think that Bill and Hillary Clinton actively murder people who get in their way, so.....cognitive dissonance would be a nice way of putting things
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

https://reason.com/2020/01/10/facts-sti ... ers-minds/

"Facts still matter, but they don't change many voters minds"
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Do you think they'll still be chanting "Lock Her Up" at Trump rallies now that Trump's own Justice Dept has cleared Hillary of all wrongdoing across all allegations? Nah, I don't think so either.

You're talking about the people that think that Bill and Hillary Clinton actively murder people who get in their way, so.....cognitive dissonance would be a nice way of putting things
I've met lots of those people. They never have a good answer when I ask why Monica Lewinsky and Linda Tripp are still bopping along, alive and well.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jr29 wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I've met lots of those people. They never have a good answer when I ask why Monica Lewinsky and Linda Tripp are still bopping along, alive and well.
Not to mention Ken Starr, Barack Obama, Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, and so on.

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

i think trump is going to win again. be very afraid.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

chuckrh wrote:i think trump is going to win again. be very afraid.
If he would shut up about everything except the economy, I think he can win comfortably.

We know he won’t do that, though, so we’ll see if the economy is enough to overcome him saying and doing stupid shit every single day

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Presented without comment, because what can one say?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:Presented without comment, because what can one say?

USA! USA! USA!
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Iowan wrote:
jr29 wrote:

Zip City wrote:You're talking about the people that think that Bill and Hillary Clinton actively murder people who get in their way, so.....cognitive dissonance would be a nice way of putting things
Not to mention Ken Starr...
All part of the plan, my friend:

Trump impeachment defense team will include Clinton prosecutor Ken Starr and Jeffrey Epstein lawyer Alan Dershowitz

ETA: This just in:

Monica Lewinsky wrote:this is definitely an “are you fucking kidding me?” kinda day.

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Bubba, he's just "telling it like it is!" because he's a "Washington outsider"! How can you not see the appeal?

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

dime in the gutter wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/B7bmj6WHDHK ... hare_sheet
tigers in the oval office.
I know LSU was incredible this year, but how the fuck did they resurrect Nicole Brown Simpson?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

cortez the killer wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/B7bmj6WHDHK ... hare_sheet
tigers in the oval office.
I know LSU was incredible this year, but how the fuck did they resurrect Nicole Brown Simpson?
I hope they brought OBJ along for the visit
If you don't run you rust

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

here's a comment: I hate the motherfucker with every fiber of my being.

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Fuck Trump. Fuck McConnell.
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

John A Arkansawyer

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:As always, Dahlia Lithwick gets to the heart of the matter:
Our love affair with legal mechanisms for truth-seeking notwithstanding, the object here is not to locate the umpteenth smoking gun, but rather to lay out, again and again and again, that only one side in this investigation is actually for ferreting out truth, while the other is hoping you’ll grow tired and despondent watching them spread fertilizer.
I am tired and despondent, so I guess those fuckers won. What's next?
Now it's dark.

John A Arkansawyer

Flea wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:As always, Dahlia Lithwick gets to the heart of the matter:
Our love affair with legal mechanisms for truth-seeking notwithstanding, the object here is not to locate the umpteenth smoking gun, but rather to lay out, again and again and again, that only one side in this investigation is actually for ferreting out truth, while the other is hoping you’ll grow tired and despondent watching them spread fertilizer.
I am tired and despondent, so I guess those fuckers won. What's next?
You get some sleep and go back to Fuck Trump! tomorrow.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

cortez the killer wrote:

USA! USA! USA!
what did we do that I didn't score a goal?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

That is beautiful.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

John A Arkansawyer

LBRod wrote:That is beautiful.
At a minimum.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Smitty wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

USA! USA! USA!
that's awesome.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Do we have a thread for Cooley rants? If not we sure should.
If you don't run you rust

tinnitus photography

HST, now more than ever.

[Edward Bennet Williams said to me] ‘If Nixon wins again, we’re in real trouble.’ He picked up his drink, then saw it was empty and put it down again. ‘That’s the real issue this time,’ he said. ‘Beating Nixon. It’s hard to even guess how much damage those bastards will do if they get in for another four years.

I nodded. The argument was familiar. I had even made it myself, here and there, but I was beginning to sense something very depressing about it.

How many more of these goddamn elections are we going to have to write off as lame but ‘regrettably necessary’ holding actions? And how many more of these stinking, double-downer sideshows will we have to go through before we can get ourselves straight enough to put together some kind of national election that will give me and the at least 20 million people I tend to agree with a chance to vote for something, instead of always being faced with that old familiar choice between the lesser of two evils?

I have been through three presidential elections, now, but it has been twelve years since I could look at a ballot and see a name I wanted to vote for. In 1964, I refused to vote at all, and in ’68 I spent half a morning in the county courthouse getting an absentee ballot so I could vote, out of spite, for Dick Gregory. Now, with another one of these big bogus showdowns looming down on us, I can already pick up the stench of another bummer. I understand, along with a lot of other people, that the big thing, this year, is Beating Nixon. But that was also the big thing, as I recall, twelve years ago in 1960 – and as far as I can tell, we’ve gone from bad to worse to rotten since then, and the outlook is for more of the same.

~ Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail, 1972

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Smitty wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

USA! USA! USA!
Cooley for House Impeachment Manager!!!

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

tinnitus photography wrote:HST, now more than ever.

[Edward Bennet Williams said to me] ‘If Nixon wins again, we’re in real trouble.’ He picked up his drink, then saw it was empty and put it down again. ‘That’s the real issue this time,’ he said. ‘Beating Nixon. It’s hard to even guess how much damage those bastards will do if they get in for another four years.

I nodded. The argument was familiar. I had even made it myself, here and there, but I was beginning to sense something very depressing about it.

How many more of these goddamn elections are we going to have to write off as lame but ‘regrettably necessary’ holding actions? And how many more of these stinking, double-downer sideshows will we have to go through before we can get ourselves straight enough to put together some kind of national election that will give me and the at least 20 million people I tend to agree with a chance to vote for something, instead of always being faced with that old familiar choice between the lesser of two evils?

I have been through three presidential elections, now, but it has been twelve years since I could look at a ballot and see a name I wanted to vote for. In 1964, I refused to vote at all, and in ’68 I spent half a morning in the county courthouse getting an absentee ballot so I could vote, out of spite, for Dick Gregory. Now, with another one of these big bogus showdowns looming down on us, I can already pick up the stench of another bummer. I understand, along with a lot of other people, that the big thing, this year, is Beating Nixon. But that was also the big thing, as I recall, twelve years ago in 1960 – and as far as I can tell, we’ve gone from bad to worse to rotten since then, and the outlook is for more of the same.

HST is one of my all time heros. F&L on the Campaign Trail is my favorite HST book, making it one of my all time favorite books.

I miss HST, but I'm sort of glad he travelled on prior to 2016 Election. If he was still alive, it certainly would have killed him.

Flea

Post by Flea »

tinnitus photography wrote:HST, now more than ever.

Thanks buddy, now I'm REALLY fucking despondent.
Now it's dark.

tinnitus photography

Hunter S Thompson was such a unique creation, a fantastic writer who was absolutely fearless. I am really bummed that i knew nothing about him when i was in college and didn't go see him speak. (however, i did get to see Graham Chapman and Jello Biafra, in different appearances).

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:Hunter S Thompson was such a unique creation, a fantastic writer who was absolutely fearless. I am really bummed that i knew nothing about him when i was in college and didn't go see him speak. (however, i did get to see Graham Chapman and Jello Biafra, in different appearances).
Absolutely agree w/ your first sentence. But if it makes you feel any better, the 2nd sentence is debatable. I had the misfortune of paying Thompson a hefty piece of change (ok, it wasn't my money, but still...) to speak at my college and the guy was a complete fuck up. Drunk beyond comprehension, of course, but that was normally part of the charm. But he decided that rather than speak, he would just answer questions. Until Trump, it was the most incoherent public speaking I have ever witnessed. He went for a bunch of punch lines, but pulled off maybe 2 over the entire evening. A terrible, embarrassing evening. Embarrassing for me that is. He didn't give a shit.