The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by beantownbubba »

Nothing you don't know but staggering in its overwhelming detail, marshaling of facts and events, cumulative weight and cogent presentation:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... MzgwMjY0S0
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

PS, I don't know that I'd want to be invited, but dinner at the Conway residence must be extremely interesting.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Nothing you don't know but staggering in its overwhelming detail, marshaling of facts and events, cumulative weight and cogent presentation:

All true bubba, and it won't make one iota of a difference. Nothing will change.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Nothing you don't know but staggering in its overwhelming detail, marshaling of facts and events, cumulative weight and cogent presentation:

All true bubba, and it won't make one iota of a difference. Nothing will change.
He WILL be impeached, Clams. No one know where the f*ck it goes from there...
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:

True and here's one "staggering" reason why: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/02/politics ... 1570205214

A friend's response to this was "you can't fix stupid," but that's not really it. The willful ignorance, the refusal to accept reality and objective truth is way more scary than "mere" stupidity.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

pearlbeer wrote:
Clams wrote:

He WILL be impeached, Clams. No one know where the f*ck it goes from there...
He'll get impeached, but not removed. I don't think there's a single Republican that will vote for either except for maybe Justin Amash (if he's even still a Republican).

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

We live in a world where only 40% of Republican voters believe things that Trump has openly admitted to. This is the worst timeline
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

https://wjla.com/news/local/maryland-bi ... each-trump

You can throw me in the Calvert County jailhouse.
You can throw me off the Chesapeake Ranch Club Dam
But there ain't much difference in the deplorable I wanna be and the deplorable I really am.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:https://wjla.com/news/local/maryland-bi ... each-trump

But there ain't much difference in the deplorable I wanna be and the deplorable I really am.
Take it from me.....

https://splinternews.com/this-shit-is-d ... 1838772010

whatwouldcooleydo?

pearlbeer wrote:

Take it from me.....

https://splinternews.com/this-shit-is-d ... 1838772010
Great minds think alike!

Read that earlier and had thought of posting it. HamNo can be extremely hit or miss but in this case- at least this part of the article- he nailed it:

The kind of collapse of collective illusions that America is going through now is not the sort of thing that typically just evaporates. It is a historic cycle, and it will play itself out. It is an old story, of a nation that gets so rich and powerful that it begins to believe that its will and the interests of its ruling class are equivalent to what is good. It produces a sort of moral rot, driven by greed, that starts on the far-flung edges of the empire and slowly creeps into the heart. All empires collapse. The flaws of human nature, the flaws of unbounded capitalism, the flaws of the uncurbed grandiose desire for more of everything eventually eat up all of history’s kingdoms. That’s us. Trump is not the cause of all this; he’s just the cancer produced by our malignant lifestyle of many, many years.

“What about our precious norms!” we all cried as soon as Trump began brushing them all away. He’s done a pretty good job making us forget those. Why were they so easy to destroy? Because many of them were just pleasant fictions to begin with. Trump did not make America greedy and uncouth; we already were. He just stopped pretending. Yes, he is a monster—but he’s a monster that the richest and most powerful and most respected leaders of our country lovingly laid the groundwork for, generation after generation.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cowards, the lot of them. Put them in an actual gunfight and they'd all piss down their leg. These are the words of people who are scared of what they know is coming

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Deplorable? Whatever. But you know what? When you consistently and proudly act deplorably sometimes some people are going to draw some conclusions that could maybe possibly be right. And don't you dare try to tell me that threatening violence against people acting lawfully is not acting deplorably.

Clams

Post by Clams »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: HamNo can be extremely hit or miss but in this case- at least this part of the article- he nailed it:
I do love me some H Nolan and that one is a good piece, but lately he's been limiting himself a bit too much to unionization and workers rights. IMO he's been surpassed by Drew Magary who is on fire these days on Deadspin and Twitter.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

whatwouldcooleydo?

Clams wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote: HamNo can be extremely hit or miss but in this case- at least this part of the article- he nailed it:
I do love me some H Nolan and that one is a good piece, but lately he's been limiting himself a bit too much to unionization and workers rights. IMO he's been surpassed by Drew Magary who is on fire these days on Deadspin and Twitter.
Nearly dying lit a fire in Magary

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Cowards, the lot of them. Put them in an actual gunfight and they'd all piss down their leg. These are the words of people who are scared of what they know is coming
Yes to the last sentence. The first two? That's going to vary. Some of the people who've been threatening violence are experienced at it. And they know, or think they know, the president has their back if they do start something. I'm not sure he does, any more than I'm really sure he was out "grabbing them by the pussy", which is the sort of big talk a guy who doesn't get any he doesn't buy talks. But the belief that he will back them up emboldens them.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:PS, I don't know that I'd want to be invited, but dinner at the Conway residence must be extremely interesting.
I'm convinced they only act the way they do in public as foreplay to some amazing hate-sex.
Now it's dark.

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:PS, I don't know that I'd want to be invited, but dinner at the Conway residence must be extremely interesting.
I'm convinced they only act the way they do in public as foreplay to some amazing hate-sex.

I've never thought about it, but there's no way you're wrong about this.
Let the outside air in

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:

Cowards, the lot of them. Put them in an actual gunfight and they'd all piss down their leg. These are the words of people who are scared of what they know is coming
I don’t think you realize how right you are, Zip. Same goes for those idiots in the masks screaming about a revolution and talking about wanting war. Most of these people have no idea what they’re talking about as it relates to that. Most of them have most likely never been in a fist fight but they think they are willing to have a revolution? It would be hilarious if it weren’t so stupid. Look I don’t like to throw down my own experiences as some sort of cred so Ill just say that John Wayne’s line from his final role in the movie The Shootist is particularly apt. “I’ve found that most men regardless of cause or need just aren’t willing.” I can promise you that is the stone cold truth. And the people who make the most noise are usually the ones who are the least willing. That’s why the assholes with the hoods and masks and these other assholes in the picture up there don’t worry me at all. They are doing right now all they will ever do. I disageee about what is coming. Ain’t nothing coming but the same old same old.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

John A Arkansawyer

Cole Younger wrote:
Zip City wrote:Cowards, the lot of them. Put them in an actual gunfight and they'd all piss down their leg. These are the words of people who are scared of what they know is coming
I don’t think you realize how right you are, Zip. Same goes for those idiots in the masks screaming about a revolution and talking about wanting war. Most of these people have no idea what they’re talking about as it relates to that. Most of them have most likely never been in a fist fight but they think they are willing to have a revolution? It would be hilarious if it weren’t so stupid. Look I don’t like to throw down my own experiences as some sort of cred so Ill just say that John Wayne’s line from his final role in the movie The Shootist is particularly apt. “I’ve found that most men regardless of cause or need just aren’t willing.” I can promise you that is the stone cold truth. And the people who make the most noise are usually the ones who are the least willing. That’s why the assholes with the hoods and masks and these other assholes in the picture up there don’t worry me at all. They are doing right now all they will ever do. I disageee about what is coming. Ain’t nothing coming but the same old same old.
I hope you're right, Cole, but I think some of it will come down to chance. The streetfighters of the hard right, who show up with clubs and shields and a proven willingness to use them, have been trying real hard to turn one of themselves into a martyr. If one or two of them manage to get themselves killed under the right circumstances, they've got a shot at escalating the conflict. I'm more optimistic that won't happen now, because they don't have the backing, or at least benign neglect, from state power they thought they had. Fortunately, Trump as president is turning out to be much less than a worst-case scenario: He's just a venal creep who ran to lose and make money from it. He didn't intend to become President, let alone a dictator, which takes a certain amount of planning. He's emboldened many of the worst among us and done some long-term damage, but nothing like a competent man would have accomplished.

I still love this little clip from SNL where at 1:57 Colin Jost asks "Stormy Daniels" (actually Cecily Strong), "So you're here to teach people a lesson?"

"No, no, no, no," she said, "I just--I am the lesson. I just wanted to be on Celebrity Apprentice."

You know what? So did he. That's how we dodged a bullet. He, too, is the lesson. If we don't learn it before the next one of him comes around, we'll fail the test. I'm still not optimistic about the next round. But people surprise me all the time.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

pearlbeer

Post by pearlbeer »

"If Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!)."

Is that a quote from the Wizard of Oz? Has he seen how that movie ends?

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

pearlbeer wrote:"If Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!)."

Is that a quote from the Wizard of Oz? Has he seen how that movie ends?
He sure is unmatched in many ways, wisdom is not one of them
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Next county over from me. I am surrounded by gun loving twits who wouldn't waste one bullet to prevent Trump's removal. I'm not sure they would even retaliate if 'we' came to take their guns. A lot of false bravado I suspect. This sign was from May '18 but would still be popular there even given his continued transgressions. 75% of the folks I grew up with, would gleefully re-elect him if it meant keeping those libtard snowflakes out of office. I am curious where the DBT lyrics came from. DBT is virtually unknown here in Southern Maryland even to this day. The only DBT fan I know in Calvert County is a few shades left of me. Maybe it was a JI fan who dug deeper into his catalog for inspiration.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

I am really sorry, but - watching the fall out in northern Syria arising from Trump's knee jerk decision to abandon allies and leave them to essentially be slaughtered AND fertilizing the soil for the resurgence of ISIS...what in the actual motherfucking fuck. soon the world will be back dealing with the pure savagery and terror of this movement - you can fucking see it from here - Fuck Trump, fuck Trump - fuck Trump!
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

this was a good article... i'll be the first to admit that it's easy via interwebs discourse to just take easy potshots and not really engage in actively considering a different opinion. maybe i'll take a step back sometimes and not take the low road so easily.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... 11?cid=apn

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:this was a good article... i'll be the first to admit that it's easy via interwebs discourse to just take easy potshots and not really engage in actively considering a different opinion. maybe i'll take a step back sometimes and not take the low road so easily.

This is really good stuff. What the author describes is the kind of space I'd love this to be though I must admit that we don't get all that close, even on our best days. Something to aspire to.

Hat tip to the ripple in the pond from Chico State.

Sandel was a senior in college when I was a freshman and I knew him slightly. He was impressive even then. I highly recommend his book Justice.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

blessedcurse wrote:I am really sorry, but - watching the fall out in northern Syria arising from Trump's knee jerk decision to abandon allies and leave them to essentially be slaughtered AND fertilizing the soil for the resurgence of ISIS...what in the actual motherfucking fuck. soon the world will be back dealing with the pure savagery and terror of this movement - you can fucking see it from here - Fuck Trump, fuck Trump - fuck Trump!
All I can say about that is that I don't think anyone, from any point on the political spectrum other than "Trump is always right", understands this. It makes no sense strategically, tactically, humanitarianly, economically, politically, and any other "ly" one can think of. Inexplicable in every way other than that Trump has already proven that he will act impulsively and without consideration of the impact of his decisions so in that sense only it's not surprising. In every rational sense it is both surprising and, to use the technical term, nuts. That his decision will have very real consequences of the worst kind for very real people is tragic. Fuck Trump.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It makes perfect sense, insofar as our withdrawal from Syria is advantageous for Russia and their allies.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:this was a good article... i'll be the first to admit that it's easy via interwebs discourse to just take easy potshots and not really engage in actively considering a different opinion. maybe i'll take a step back sometimes and not take the low road so easily.

This is really good stuff. What the author describes is the kind of space I'd love this to be though I must admit that we don't get all that close, even on our best days. Something to aspire to.

Sandel was a senior in college when I was a freshman and I knew him slightly. He was impressive even then. I highly recommend his book Justice.
I’m missing out on what the Chico State mention is referencing

whatwouldcooleydo?

Slipkid42 wrote:

Next county over from me. I am surrounded by gun loving twits who wouldn't waste one bullet to prevent Trump's removal. I'm not sure they would even retaliate if 'we' came to take their guns. A lot of false bravado I suspect. This sign was from May '18 but would still be popular there even given his continued transgressions. 75% of the folks I grew up with, would gleefully re-elect him if it meant keeping those libtard snowflakes out of office. I am curious where the DBT lyrics came from. DBT is virtually unknown here in Southern Maryland even to this day. The only DBT fan I know in Calvert County is a few shades left of me. Maybe it was a JI fan who dug deeper into his catalog for inspiration.
I made up those lyrics to go along with the link

John A Arkansawyer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

I’m missing out on what the Chico State mention is referencing
From the article:
Outside of class, Jackson tells me that both of his parents graduated from college—his mom, Rachel, from Chico State in California and his dad, Mark, from Wake Forest.