The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

pearlbeer

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by pearlbeer »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
Remember when the Democrats bombed Pearl Harbor?
Love each other, Motherfuckers!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Bookmark this page. For your convenience I have identified when the seeds of the next financial crisis were first planted. So five or ten years from now, if you want to know who to blame for the disaster that destroyed your college fund, your retirement, your job, whatever, you can look it up right here. You're welcome.

#theyneverlearn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/bus ... ing&wpmm=1
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Enter Trade Wars. The G7 has morphed into the G6 and the USA. We have become a threat to US national security after a century of being brothers in arms. Mr. Trudeau calls it a turning point in US-Canada relations, and by the fuck, he is talking retaliation. Standing up to the bully is the word on the street. Sigh...
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Flea

Post by Flea »

blessedcurse wrote:Enter Trade Wars. The G7 has morphed into the G6 and the USA. We have become a threat to US national security after a century of being brothers in arms. Mr. Trudeau calls it a turning point in US-Canada relations, and by the fuck, he is talking retaliation. Standing up to the bully is the word on the street. Sigh...
Y'all still have plenty of room up there, right? Just in case?
Now it's dark.

whatwouldcooleydo?

He’s pro-incest, pedophilia, and rape. He’s also running for Congress in Virginia

He believes in instituting a patriarchal system, with women under the authority of men; he supports abolishing age restrictions for marriage and laws against marital rape; he believes that white supremacy is a “system that works,” that Hitler was a “good thing for Germany,” and that incest should be legalized, at least in the context of marriage.

Larson also has a criminal record. In 2009, he pleaded guilty to threatening to kill the U.S. president, for which he served 16 months in federal prison and three years of supervision upon his release. In a previous interview with The Post, he called a letter he sent to the Secret Service in 2008 warning of imminent plans to assassinate either President George W. Bush or President Barack Obama, an act of civil disobedience meant to call attention to the tyranny of the U.S. government.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

beantownbubba wrote:Bookmark this page. For your convenience I have identified when the seeds of the next financial crisis were first planted. So five or ten years from now, if you want to know who to blame for the disaster that destroyed your college fund, your retirement, your job, whatever, you can look it up right here. You're welcome.

#theyneverlearn

This is definitely a contributor, but the whole investment economy has been in a bubble for a while now. It'll pop sooner rather than later I think....No way will it survive Trump's second term.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

pearlbeer wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Image
Remember when the Democrats bombed Pearl Harbor?
Remember when the Canadiens burned down the White House?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The tsunami of bad news and weirdness coming from the White House threatens to beat me into stunned submission. Some days it comes from so many directions it's hard to digest it all, much less react to it. Today is one of those days.

Trump is off to the G7 summit and between the anticipation of the stupid, dangerous things he's going to say and do there and the stupid and dangerous things he's already said and done about it (pimping for Russia as usual, telling Trudeau that Canadians burned down the White House, leaving early and generally dissing the other members of the group) I am actually fearful. And of course after Canada, he's off to Singapore to meet Kim and God only knows what might happen there. I truly hope for a positive outcome, but I give that about a 5% chance. I don't know whether a breakdown in the talks or Trump giving away too much is more likely, but one of those 2 has to be the frontrunner. Trump is bragging that there's no need for him to prepare for the meeting w/ Kim because he has such a mastery of foreign policy and (of course) negotiations. As illustrated by his preposterous claim that Iran is already bending to his will as a result of his hardball tactics. That would be great, except that it's demonstrably false, and in addition to having to deal w/ a lying (or delusional) president, we have to grapple w/ the mainstream media still not having figured out how not to report his lies and distortions as truth (see today's story about Iran in the NYT for a perfect example).

Craziest of all may be the EPA's decision not to consider impact on the air, ground and water when determining the toxicity of potentially dangerous chemicals. This is so stunningly illogical, stupid and dangerous that I still can't believe it's true. It's kind of like having a commission on gun violence that won't consider the impact of guns. Oh. Wait. That happened too this week. It is no surprise that the head of the EPA unit charged w/ writing these rules and implementing the toxicity testing is a former lobbyist for the chemicals industry.

If it wasn't before, it's clear now that Trump truly has no idea what the impact of his trade "policies" are, even at the basic level of "who benefits and who's harmed"? He apparently was surprised, actually surprised, that Canada reacted to his imposition of tariffs by imposing its own tariffs on US goods. I mean, seriously. How could he not have anticipated that? It raises the scary question of what did he actually think would happen?

Still waiting for some comment on the over FOUR THOUSAND Americans who died in a hurricane in Puerto Rico, much less plans to do something about it. But even that number pales in comparison to the over TEN THOUSAND CHILDREN separated from their parents and being held by the US government. This is so horrific, so pointlessly destructive, so what's-the-opposite-of-humane? that it causes me physical pain. WE, my country, are the unambiguous bad guy on a human rights issue, being legitimately criticized by that paragon of institutional paralysis called the UN. I can't believe it. You know how Hollywood is running out of human bad guys because so many ethnicities can no longer be portrayed so stereotypically leaving very few universally reviled examples of evil? Hitler/Nazis is always a fallback but that's getting to be a long time ago. More recently it's been child molesters but that's been kind of overdone. Next is going to be...US!!! :shock: :oops: :shock: :oops:

But of course there is always time to criticize football players for exercising their American freedoms and consciences while totally lying about what they're doing and why for the sole purpose of dividing the country. And to top it off, having been blown off by the Eagles, Trump quickly disinvites them, returning to his junior high school roots by quitting before he could be fired or breaking up w/ you before u can break up w/ him. In true Trump fashion, he holds some kind of weird alternative celebration of something or other and pads the audience w/ White House employees bringing back memories of the "largest Inaugural Day crowd ever".

Overwhelming no longer capture this tidal wave of bad news, pettiness and idiocy. Despair is too weak a word to describe my emotional state. Drowning on dry land w/out a life jacket is pretty close.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lotusamerica wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Bookmark this page. For your convenience I have identified when the seeds of the next financial crisis were first planted. So five or ten years from now, if you want to know who to blame for the disaster that destroyed your college fund, your retirement, your job, whatever, you can look it up right here. You're welcome.

#theyneverlearn

This is definitely a contributor, but the whole investment economy has been in a bubble for a while now. It'll pop sooner rather than later I think....No way will it survive Trump's second term.
The economy is due for a "correction" aka a recession sometime in the near future. The only thing that can be debated is the when, not the if. But recessions can be more painful or less painful and generally speaking the government has tools to slow the process and/or to mitigate the damage. But why purposely unleash elements that have proven themselves capable of crashing the entire world economy? At the least, this will increase the severity of the next recession; at worst it will be the trigger and main cause of a disaster of terrible proportions.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Far too convincing.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I keep telling myself that it's stupid to follow "real time" news from the G7 summit, but it's everywhere I look on the 'net so I can't help but see some of it. And for sure, one can't analyze these events in real time but the buffoonery on display by you know who is not a good sign. Trump literally does not know what he's talking about. It was bad enough when it became clear that he didn't understand the way trade work and the balance of tradeoffs that make the world economy go almost always to the advantage of the US, unfortunately one must make allowances for someone whose grasp of the theoretical or conceptual is shaky at best. But he doesn't even understand basic facts like what a VAT is and how it works. I'm sure the rest of the G7 is going crazy trying to figure out how to respond to someone who is not tethered to reality; it's certainly a challenge even before one gets to legitimate disagreements.

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:I keep telling myself that it's stupid to follow "real time" news from the G7 summit, but it's everywhere I look on the 'net so I can't help but see some of it. And for sure, one can't analyze these events in real time but the buffoonery on display by you know who is not a good sign. Trump literally does not know what he's talking about. It was bad enough when it became clear that he didn't understand the way trade work and the balance of tradeoffs that make the world economy go almost always to the advantage of the US, unfortunately one must make allowances for someone whose grasp of the theoretical or conceptual is shaky at best. But he doesn't even understand basic facts like what a VAT is and how it works. I'm sure the rest of the G7 is going crazy trying to figure out how to respond to someone who is not tethered to reality; it's certainly a challenge even before one gets to legitimate disagreements.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

What was that thing about pictures and a thousand words?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The range of choices and options is quickly narrowing. In fact, I think they're down to two: Either you agree w/ President Trump's view of the world or you think he's a delusional moron. I don't see how any other viewpoint is remotely tenable.

I give the President credit for one thing: He said he was going to shake things up and destroying the world order painstakingly constructed over the last 70 years to America's benefit without having a clue as to what to replace it w/ certainly qualifies as shaking things up. Of course he also promised to drain the swamp and we're seeing how that's turning out, but in the realm of foreign affairs there can be no question that he's acting in broad strokes to upend business as usual. I'm generally not one to to defend business as usual, and things can always be better, but destruction w/out a plan is a long way from "creative destruction" w/ a vision of what will replace it. I suppose it's possible that Trump is such a farsighted visionary that mere mortals like me just can't see how brilliant he is, but I gotta tell you, I seriously doubt that.

And just as a by the way, governing by tweet may be ridiculous, but the President has shown how to use tweeting effectively to communicate his message and mobilize his forces. But that's domestically only. Using tweets as a tool of foreign policy across cultures and languages and running roughshod over carefully constructed and observed formalities is just plain nuts. The language of diplomacy has evolved over the centuries for a reason. Sure, there' s plenty to make fun of and plenty of hot air balloons to burst, and temperamentally I lean in the direction of impatience with slow moving and evasive form over substance, but nobody can convince me that insulting leaders of other countries and attempting to "negotiate" by fiat is an effective way to achieve any kind of result other than a disaster.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
I have been told, but have not seen, that the official White House version of this photo is taken from behind the entire group so it looks like all the other world leaders are kowtowing and paying obeisance to Trump. If this is true, there's only one accurate description and that's propaganda of the most cynical cult of personality dictatorial sort.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I assume that the chutzpah of the lyingest liar ever to occupy the Oval Office calling another world leader "dishonest" does not need a lot of explication.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I'm a big fan of Josh Marshall's Talking Points Memo. Today he posted about the many photographs of that moment:

A Photo for the Ages of Our Unfolding Disaster
There appear to have been no press photographers to capture this moment. I looked around for a while to see where this photo was from. I didn’t see it in our Getty Images wire feed. It turns out it’s by a German government photographer from the Chancellor’s office, Jesco Denzel. As I noted, there were no press photographers. But the different leaders had their own photographers there. Or aides took pictures. So far I’ve found versions of this moment from the delegations of Germany, Italy, France, Canada and the United States, which I share below.
And in my relentless search for babies--wait. That's Angelina Jolie--my relentless hope to be as depressing as possible, let me vouch for the truth of this next observation:
...when I saw a larger version of the picture I saw something different. At least in this moment, Trump’s face doesn’t show anger or defiance. It’s more like calmly standing his ground. He looks like a Trump supporter might like him to look. They’re exasperated. He’s standing his ground, imperturbable.
You can click on the version in his story and, I'm very sorry to say, see it for yourself. It's a different photograph at that size.

The other photographs are also well worth seeing, assuming we all don't die in a nuclear holocaust before you push that red button...sorry, I meant, before you click that link.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

wouldn't it be nice if we could merge with canada? trudeau (none of these guys are perfect) would be a breath fresh air.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Can't remember who, but one wag twittered, You have to be a special kind of asshole to piss off Canada--or something like that.

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

The hottest recesses of hell are reserved for those who scorn Donald J. Trump...apparently....there are the tweets and the lackeys doing the talking head route - personal attacks...nothing of substance on policy. All for saying the same farking thing he said countless times over the past week. WTF!! grade school shenanigans passing as politics.

That said, all three main national political parties, and a former conservative Prime Minister, are all unified on Trudeau's position on Trump. O Canada...
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

cortez the killer

blessedcurse wrote:The hottest recesses of hell are reserved for those who scorn Donald J. Trump...apparently....there are the tweets and the lackeys doing the talking head route - personal attacks...nothing of substance on policy. All for saying the same farking thing he said countless times over the past week. WTF!! grade school shenanigans passing as politics.

That said, all three main national political parties, and a former conservative Prime Minister, are all unified on Trudeau's position on Trump. O Canada...
C'mon blessed, don't you know policies are for pussies?
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:C'mon blessed, don't you know policies are for pussies?
To say nothing of the truth and one's word.

I find it fascinating that as far as I can tell neither Trump nor his minions have identified a single way in which Trudeau was "dishonest." The fact that Trump can sling his typical unsupportable ad hominem attacks even in the supersensitive arena of foreign policy/international relations and that his minions will back him speaks directly to how far Trump has veered off course. I think that at some level Trump sees diplomacy as the same kind of "politics as usual" and gridlock he decries about Washington without understanding that the processes of diplomacy have evolved over hundreds of years for very different reasons than typical Dem-Rep infighting and formalities and are there for his protection as much as anyone's. Ignoring those processes is downright dangerous to all of us.

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo?

this is the world in which we live :roll: :roll: :roll:

Kim Jong Un, that's my quarterback

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

cortez the killer wrote:
blessedcurse wrote:The hottest recesses of hell are reserved for those who scorn Donald J. Trump...apparently....there are the tweets and the lackeys doing the talking head route - personal attacks...nothing of substance on policy. All for saying the same farking thing he said countless times over the past week. WTF!! grade school shenanigans passing as politics.

Yeah I know, rational thought is useless in these scenarios...and I am a little pissed at myself for letting this get under my skin. But when your neighbour keeps pissing in your pool, there come a breaking point.

cortez the killer

blessedcurse wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

Yeah I know, rational thought is useless in these scenarios...and I am a little pissed at myself for letting this get under my skin. But when your neighbour keeps pissing in your pool, there come a breaking point.
Oh, he’ll certainly get under your skin. Thankfully, you will not turn orange.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Imagine if Trump showed as much deference and respect to our allies as he does to ruthless dictators
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

chuckrh

Post by chuckrh »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:this is the world in which we live :roll: :roll: :roll:

Kim Jong Un, that's my quarterback
Eddie Vedder: Dennis, please stop mentioning my name!