The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I think it's pretty clear that Pres. Trump wants Jeff Sessions gone, right? Yet the man who rode the catch phrase "you're fired" to national prominence and eventually to the presidency seems somewhere between reluctant and unwilling to fire Sessions. Why? I assume it's because Trump & his advisors (presumably no longer including Jeff Sessions) fear the backlash of firing Sessions while a forced resignation will not bring the same level of outrage. But is that really it? Doesn't this charade of escalating insults and barbs directed at Sessions make Trump look ineffectual and impotent? It's hard to tell from my little cocoon, but aren't people asking each other "why doesn't the President just fire him?"
Sessions has many friends in the Senate, and Trump's relationship with them is tenuous at best right now
Yep, Zip's got it right. He's already not helping his case with the GOP in the Senate by the continuing attacks on Sessions and firing him would be one toke over the line sweet Jesus.

In other craziness Trump threatened to fire Tom Price, who was standing on the podium with him in front of the Boy Scouts yesterday, if the Health Care bill didn't pass. I feel sorry for these fuckers for about 5 seconds until I realize a) they are assholes and b) they jumped into the shark tank of their own accord and if you swim with the sharks you're likely to lose your pecker in the best case scenario. I think Session's pecker has been chewed off already.
Now it's dark.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I think it's pretty clear that Pres. Trump wants Jeff Sessions gone, right? Yet the man who rode the catch phrase "you're fired" to national prominence and eventually to the presidency seems somewhere between reluctant and unwilling to fire Sessions. Why? I assume it's because Trump & his advisors (presumably no longer including Jeff Sessions) fear the backlash of firing Sessions while a forced resignation will not bring the same level of outrage. But is that really it? Doesn't this charade of escalating insults and barbs directed at Sessions make Trump look ineffectual and impotent? It's hard to tell from my little cocoon, but aren't people asking each other "why doesn't the President just fire him?"
Sessions has many friends in the Senate, and Trump's relationship with them is tenuous at best right now
Yep, Zip's got it right. He's already not helping his case with the GOP in the Senate by the continuing attacks on Sessions and firing him would be one toke over the line sweet Jesus.

In other craziness Trump threatened to fire Tom Price, who was standing on the podium with him in front of the Boy Scouts yesterday, if the Health Care bill didn't pass. I feel sorry for these fuckers for about 5 seconds until I realize a) they are assholes and b) they jumped into the shark tank of their own accord and if you swim with the sharks you're likely to lose your pecker in the best case scenario. I think Session's pecker has been chewed off already.
Ross Douthat has a pretty thorough take on these issues in today's NYT. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/26/opin ... 64728&_r=0
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

So now Trump is giving speeches about illegal immigrants "slicing and dicing" underage white girls? De-humanizing the minorities to curry support for his xenophobic bullshit policies?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Flea

Post by Flea »

Zip City wrote:So now Trump is giving speeches about illegal immigrants "slicing and dicing" underage white girls? De-humanizing the minorities to curry support for his xenophobic bullshit policies?
You blinked! Now he's on to banning transgered individuals from the military.

Now it's dark.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Fuck this guy forever.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ah, so it's a financial decision. Good to know that the president has got his eye firmly on the bottom line (or is it that he's got his eye on firm bottoms?) and is going to balance the budget on the backs of the vast numbers of transgendered persons in the military. And here i was, worried about how he's going to pay for his proposed tax cuts.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Flea wrote:
Zip City wrote:So now Trump is giving speeches about illegal immigrants "slicing and dicing" underage white girls? De-humanizing the minorities to curry support for his xenophobic bullshit policies?

(1) isn't this a textbook example of the identity politics that are always decried by the right?

(2) pretty rich that Captain Five Deferments has the gall to remove (if he gets his way) people who actually want to be in the military
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

whatwouldcooleydo?

They slice and dice, but do they julienne?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Russian pranksters trick Rick Perry into a conversation about pig shit

the glasses ain't fooling anyone. What a chucklefuck

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Flea wrote:

He's really trying hard to make everybody forget about that russian deal.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

This is from FB. An old friend of the band and an original heathen.

I was active duty for 20 years. During that time I served with White people, as well as Black, Hispanic, Asian, and Native Americans. I served with women and with men. I served with Christians, Buddhists, Catholics, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Wiccans, Norse, Satanists, and Athiests. I served with straight people, as well as gay, bisexual, assexual, queer, BDSM, pansexual, weird, and freaky people. There were probably some trans people in that mix as well.

You want to know what we called these people?

Shipmate. or maybe Fucker if you felt any kind of bond with them.

The only thing any of us cared about was "Can you do your job? Can we count on you? Can you get along with everyone else?"

You're a Man trapped in a Woman's Body? Great. I'm Happy for You. Get to slinging paint, Princess.

You're a big ole queer who likes jumping into a pile of hot oily naked men and working your way down to the bottom? Well Hell, who doesn't? That's special. It'll give you something to talk about while your standing the balls to 4 watch tonight.

You're more woman that I can handle and more man than I'll ever be? Aren't you sweet. I got something long and hard that you can handle. It's called a broom. Go hold sweepers, fucker.

NOBODY CARES.

Can you do your job?
Can we count on you?
Can you get along with everyone else?

If you have a problem with Trans people, Queers, Jews, Mexican Americans, Blacks, Women or anyone else serving in the Military...Fuck you. Don't sign up. That way you won't have to serve with any of those nasty fuckers.

You want to pass a law that says that highly qualified, motivated individuals not be allowed to go into harm's way and to serve their country because of some moralistic bullshit that doesn't even affect you? Fuck you too. The only questions you should be asking of anyone who wants to wear a uniform are "Can you do your job? Can we count on you? Can you get along with everyone else?" If so, then welcome aboard shipmate.

This Day-Glo Orange looking motherfucker is pissing me off
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

You never know, except that you know that the law of unintended consequences is always hovering, ready to slam you upside the head when you least expect it. Based on the coverage I've seen, Trump is losing bigly on this transgender issue, losing points from all sectors for all kinds of reasons. Most importantly for the country, a number of Republican Senators up for re-election in 2018 in red states directly repudiated Trump and virtually nobody actively and openly (funny word, eh?) supported him. Add in the typically clownish, unprofessional and un-thought out way it was announced, sandbagging among others Congress and the Pentagon, and we have another bad day at the office for the president.

I've seen an explanation for the tweets that claims that Trump was acting on behest of legislators who want to pass a budget including prohibitions on paying for sex re-assignment surgery for the military, which was proving to be a stumbling block. But apparently even those who championed that theory said that Trump went much further than he was asked, for no good reason. But on the whole I agree w/ Swamp: Trump is clearly desperately using "all 20 to keep the closet door closed" on the Russia investigation, and especially the financial aspects of that investigation. The most likely and most logical conclusion is that he's been hiding some devastatingly bad news/behavior (remember those tax returns?) and doesn't know how to stop the inevitability train from running to and through the station (see also the Sessions fiasco).

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

You get the impression Trump is learning to make better appointments? Not that he isn't making terrible ones, too but this one seems pretty solid:

Charm? Offensive!
Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the true grit of Southern women.

Just like Trump, she's not going to quit.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Of course, on the other hand, there's always this:

“I’ve done nothing wrong on my financial disclosures, so they’re going to have to go fuck themselves.”

TRUE: Scaramucci’s financial records appear accurate, so under U.S. federal statutes his detractors are required by law to go fuck themselves no later than 10 business days from the date of filing.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

beantownbubba wrote: Does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that John McCain is not making such a determined effort to be present just to follow the party line, that he may surprise people with one or more of his votes as things unfold? I'm not saying it's going to happen, just that it seems more than remotely possible.
I'm putting that one in my win column :)

What a crazy series of events in DC this week. It seems like there are dozens of lessons to be learned but of course the question is whether anyone (or anyone that matters anyway) will learn them. It seems to me that the outcome of the healthcare debacle is more a statement about the way things were done than about anything substantive on healthcare, in part because actual substance was generally lacking. But I was gratified to see a number of politicians actually be upset about the speed, darkness, ignorance and badly, clumsily played hardball which constituted the Republican effort. One has to love the Interior Secy calling the Senator from Alaska and flat out threatening her and her state. It's not that politics doesn't work that way, it's that there are ways to do that sort of thing and ways not to and the Trump administration can pretty much be counted on to go the "ways not to" route, lol.

In the wake of the legislative destruction and loss of reputations and credibility the healthcare tsunami has caused might it be possible for a couple of Dems and a couple of Republicans get together and, ignoring the Freedom Caucus, craft sensible legislation? It's a long shot for sure but it's also exactly what should happen.

Biggest losers: McConnell and Trump of course. A surprising winner, even if only by a little bit: Ryan because incredibly McConnell managed to make Ryan's bungling look good. It's always nice to have somebody below you in the blame game.

The saddest thing of all is that Washington, including both the legislative and executive branches, has really become a reality TV show produced by Trump. My neck is sore from shaking my head so much. The problem is that it's not remotely funny and it's really bad tv.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Every time I think I want to talk about something, there's about five other things that happen that make the thing I wanted to talk about seem like old news. Has there ever been a time when so many things happen every day that it's almost impossible to even have a conversation about them? And then when one gets going, it never can get much of anywhere because of the next new horror. I think it was only a week ago that BTB and I were talking about identity politics and it's like five shitshows back now.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lotusamerica wrote:Every time I think I want to talk about something, there's about five other things that happen that make the thing I wanted to talk about seem like old news. Has there ever been a time when so many things happen every day that it's almost impossible to even have a conversation about them? And then when one gets going, it never can get much of anywhere because of the next new horror. I think it was only a week ago that BTB and I were talking about identity politics and it's like five shitshows back now.
I was just thinking about this today. Part of the reason is that the media actually has adapted to some extent to the "new world" as I (and many, many others) had been screaming that they needed to do throughout the election season. Just speaking personally, the news feeds I get throughout the day are extremely timely but OMG it's an insane cycle. For example just from the WaPo, I get the traditional morning edition, a separate opinion "newsletter" and a "news hilite" sort of thing, all before 9 am. The I get a late afternoon news update, a whole separate opinion newsletter responding to that day's events and usually at least one and often more news updates that have more than one story on some new development, including references to developments on social media. Just today, check out Paul Krugman's column in the NYT: He had some negative things to say about McCain and the differences between what he was saying and doing. By 2 a.m McCain's vote required at least some recognition and rewriting of the column, which was done and in my hands by the time I got to it at about 8:30.

Crazy, crazy process documenting crazy, crazy substance and pseudo substance on virtually a minute by minute basis. And now that the White House truly resembles nothing so much as a Shakespearean tragedy, one needs a scorecard and minute by minute play by play to keep up w/ the infighting, who's in and who's out, crazy quotes, insane tweets, backstabbing, etc etc. Senior government officials go in and out favor multiple times in a day, or so it seems. This is not normal and it makes for very, very short news cycles.

whatwouldcooleydo?

if the Mooch was a song, this is it

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

As someone who bashes Chuck Schumer on a fairly regular basis, I thought I should note the very positive profile of the Senator in today's NYT. I'm neither buying it nor rejecting it, but it is interesting and provides some welcome insight into just what the heck these guys do all day.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/29/us/p ... d=39564728

John A Arkansawyer

And while I'm at it, I'm finding this less sexy but more likely than the stories about Trump colluding with the Russians:

The Russians Were Involved. But It Wasn’t About Collusion.
No conclusive proof has yet emerged that the Kremlin arranged this meeting, and the Russians involved have asserted they were not working for the Putin government. Mr. Kushner himself told Senate investigators that there was no collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow. But to me, the clearest evidence that this was a Russian influence operation is the trail of bread crumbs the Kremlin seemed to have deliberately left leading from Trump Tower to the Kremlin. This operation was meant to be discovered.
This version of events is simpler and has fewer moving parts.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

"I hire the best people, trust me."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:And while I'm at it, I'm finding this less sexy but more likely than the stories about Trump colluding with the Russians:

No conclusive proof has yet emerged that the Kremlin arranged this meeting, and the Russians involved have asserted they were not working for the Putin government. Mr. Kushner himself told Senate investigators that there was no collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow. But to me, the clearest evidence that this was a Russian influence operation is the trail of bread crumbs the Kremlin seemed to have deliberately left leading from Trump Tower to the Kremlin. This operation was meant to be discovered.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but this seems more complex and paranoic in the best (?) cold war sense. Le Carre territory for sure, maybe even Howard Hunt level.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mooch, we hardly knew ye.

Is that sound I hear Sean Spicer and Reince Preibus clinking glasses and laughing hysterically?

whatwouldcooleydo?

beantownbubba wrote:Mooch, we hardly knew ye.

Is that sound I hear Sean Spicer and Reince Preibus clinking glasses and laughing hysterically?
hey Mooch, say hi to Luca Brasi for us :lol:

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Mooch, we hardly knew ye.

hey Mooch, say hi to Luca Brasi for us :lol:
I know it wasn't the knife that killed Luca but damn that must have stung.

whatwouldcooleydo?

and SNL didn't even to take a swing at him :(

as anniversary gifts go, one could do far worse than this

John A Arkansawyer

That poor man never did get to dance the fandango. Maybe the tarantella. But enough of the dearly departed...
beantownbubba wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:And while I'm at it, I'm finding this less sexy but more likely than the stories about Trump colluding with the Russians:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but this seems more complex and paranoic in the best (?) cold war sense. Le Carre territory for sure, maybe even Howard Hunt level.
I was thinking of Len Deighton's Spy Story, or maybe John Barnes' Kaleidoscope Century. But it's simpler because you don't have to actually corrupt someone. You just con them into an unwise meeting and then leak that it happened.