The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

tinnitus photography

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by tinnitus photography »

lotusamerica wrote:I have a good friend who thinks about the same as you Cole, and like you, he lives small, eats local, and cares just as much about his fellow creatures as I do, and I have no problem with him thinking differently than me on the subject. Better that someone questions and concludes differently than just follows whichever herd he's a part of.
yeah... that's the thing here. it's science, not opinion.
Expert consensus is a powerful thing. People know we don’t have the time or capacity to learn about everything, and so we frequently defer to the conclusions of experts. It’s why we visit doctors when we’re ill. The same is true of climate change: most people defer to the expert consensus of climate scientists.
A Skeptical Science peer-reviewed survey of all (over 12,000) peer-reviewed abstracts on the subject 'global climate change' and 'global warming' published between 1991 and 2011 (Cook et al. 2013) found that over 97% of the papers taking a position on the subject agreed with the consensus position that humans are causing global warming. In a second phase of the project, the scientist authors were emailed and rated over 2,000 of their own papers. Once again, over 97% of the papers taking a position on the cause of global warming agreed that humans are causing it.

i mean, i'd like to think that the vast majority of the US population can thoroughly understand the science and make factual critiques and rebuttals. then again, look at who got voted into office. nearly 63mm people voted for Trump. i'm not that optimistic.

if only 3% of the collective climatologists don't think that humans are the ones causing the shift, well i guess there's a chance that a Copernicus or Galileo exist in that sub-population and will be proven right over time.

but i seriously doubt that.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Posting error
Last edited by lotusamerica on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

tinnitus photography wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:I have a good friend who thinks about the same as you Cole, and like you, he lives small, eats local, and cares just as much about his fellow creatures as I do, and I have no problem with him thinking differently than me on the subject. Better that someone questions and concludes differently than just follows whichever herd he's a part of.
yeah... that's the thing here. it's science, not opinion.
Well the thing I think is that it's not exactly science itself but your reading of the expert consensus on the science. I happen to see it the same way as you but I'm aware that there is some play in the system, and from your post earlier, 2017 is a long way from 2011 that the data represented.

My friend posed the question that if I wouldn't have him do anything different if he agreed with me then what does it matter what he thinks, and I had to agree...

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Cole Younger wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:go on, answer the question... i know you are skeptical from perusing all the data. let's hear your thesis.
Did you read what I posted? That's not rhetorical. It really doesn't seem like you did.
yes, i read it. you think that the movement is a front for a power grab. and you think some very well respected scientists are in opposition to the overwhelming majority of their peers and colleagues.
Yep. That was part of it. I also said I know it has gotten warmer and I know polution is a contributor to that and I think we need to fix what is fixable in a way that makes sense and doesn't demand wholesale lifestyle changes and doesn't cost through the nose because most people aren't going to sign on for that and I'm not for just handing the government enough power to force everyone to do it.

I'm not sure what part of that you found radical or unacceptable or worthy of mockery.

Makes little difference to me but if you actually want to have a conversation about this and want to present why you think I'm wrong with something more than sarcasm and insults about my intelligence, I'm game. Otherwise I don't see where talking to you about this is anything but a waste of my time and anything I can't get from some teenager.

Put more succinctly, I would very much like to talk about this when you can talk to me like you've got some sense. But I'll be fine either way. Ball is in your court.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

tinnitus photography

Hey Cole, don't pretend for a second that you're not posting from Mount Non-sanctimoniousness.

tinnitus photography

Bottom line is this - you can try to cherry pick the science that fits your particular narrative but it's a particularly tortuous path to get there.

I don't believe that any of us are well-suited to understand and dissect the rigor of the science behind it. Though maybe you've got a PhD in geophysics that you're hiding

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:Hey Cole, don't pretend for a second that you're not posting from Mount Non-sanctimoniousness.
Oh see now you're scaring me. Don't pretend for a second? Lol. You're already so intimidating man you don't have to hard talk me. :lol:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:Bottom line is this - you can try to cherry pick the science that fits your particular narrative but it's a particularly tortuous path to get there.

I don't believe that any of us are well-suited to understand and dissect the rigor of the science behind it. Though maybe you've got a PhD in geophysics that you're hiding

...and you couldn't find the bottom line with both hands, a flashlight, and a map. Are you high? Because I have no idea where you are getting this nonsense.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Cole Younger wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Yes I did see your comment. I believe some of this. I just dont believe all of it. I've read up on it a lot and I honestly don't know how anyone who does and doesn't have an agenda can come away being a full on convert to the climate change cult (indulge me. I'm mostly just joking around with my choice of words there. The use of the terms "denier" and religious like rhetoric surrounding this both astounds me and cracks me up.)

Do I believe we have seen a rise in temperature? Yes.

Do I believe polution has contributed to that? Yes.

Do I believe that's the whole story? No.

Do I think we need to take common sense and cost effective steps toward cleaning g up where we can? Yes.

Do I believe we are on the precipice of the Apocalypse vis a vis any of this? No.

I don't buy the hysteria. People like Al Gore and others of his ilk are in this to make money. The scare tactics surrounding this are both amusing and sickening.

The folks screaming the loudest about this all have a vested personal interest and I aint talking about a cleaner planet when I say that. Some of power grabs by the government in the name of global warming are something to behold.

The thing is, a lot of folks have fixed opinions on this but not many of them have done much digging. They don't want to.

And finally, it a long, long way from being the overwhelming majority that is certain this all just like what the alarmists say it is. Some very respected scientists say something quite different.

I spend a lot of time outdoors. I am a big time hunter and fisherman (I just mean that I do both of those things a lot), I love to camp, hike, and kayak. I care about the environment. But I care about what is true as well.
so what do you think the magnitude of $ gained vs lost is here, vis a vis the shadow clean energy cabal vs the petro-chemical titans? if Al Gore wanted to make real money, he'd be a lobbyist for Halliburton or some shit like that. you think this is his way to riches? :lol:

do you have opinions on brain surgery too? done a lot of digging?

i'm glad that you care about the environment in your backyard. the world's a whole lot bigger.

maybe you, like Rick Perry and Pruitt, don't think that CO2 causes warming?
God bless you.
Wasn't your original response.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

So what?

cortez the killer

Why change it?
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

cortez the killer wrote:Why change it?
Decided I didn't like it and didn't want to take the bait. But after a while I decided there was no need to just keep remaining silent while he flung his poo at me.

cortez the killer

You threw poo, too. It's all good. After all, this is the thread for political shit. Carefully crafted images are cool. Careful nuanced responses are cool, too. Far left/right, ingrained responses work as well. Just own the poo you hurl and don't call others out for poo throwing when you partake in poo throwing yourself.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

cortez the killer wrote:You threw poo, too. It's all good. After all, this is the thread for political shit. Carefully crafted images are cool. Careful nuanced responses are cool, too. Far left/right, ingrained responses work as well. Just own the poo you hurl and don't call others out for poo throwing when you partake in poo throwing yourself.
Not sure how it is any of your business. Carefully crafted images like your internet tough guy image? Cause there isnt a thing cool about that. :lol: bye corty.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Poo Fighters
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Poo Fighters
:lol:

cortez the killer

Cole Younger wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:You threw poo, too. It's all good. After all, this is the thread for political shit. Carefully crafted images are cool. Careful nuanced responses are cool, too. Far left/right, ingrained responses work as well. Just own the poo you hurl and don't call others out for poo throwing when you partake in poo throwing yourself.
Not sure how it is any of your business. Carefully crafted images like your internet tough guy image? Cause there isnt a thing cool about that. :lol: bye sorry.
Sounds goods, Cole. Not sure what "internet tough guy" means or implies. If you are concerned with whose "business" it is, perhaps you should engage in direct messages instead of posting thing on a public message board.
- DPM

cortez the killer

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:Poo Fighters
I hope Grohl doesn't come after me.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

cortez the killer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:
Not sure how it is any of your business. Carefully crafted images like your internet tough guy image? Cause there isnt a thing cool about that. :lol: bye sorry.
Sounds goods, Cole. Not sure what "internet tough guy" means or implies. If you are concerned with whose "business" it is, perhaps you should engage in direct messages instead of posting thing on a public message board.
Got something up your nose? Blow it out, son. You might feel better.

cortez the killer

Cole Younger wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Not sure how it is any of your business. Carefully crafted images like your internet tough guy image? Cause there isnt a thing cool about that. :lol: bye sorry.
Got something up your nose? Blow it out, son. You might feel better.
"Corty's" nose is clear. Not sure what my nose has anything to do with this discussion, but I do appreciate your concern for my sinuses.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Well I'm sure tinnitus will appreciate you rushing to his aid. And with that, the all important last word is yours. I'm off to bed.

cortez the killer

Tinnitus is a big boy and is more than capable of fighting his own battles. Sweet dreams, Cole.
- DPM

tinnitus photography

:lol: at Cole editing his initial post, and then getting all pissy about it when confronted about it.

Cole, if you've done extensive reading into the research on this topic, perhaps you'd like to show some of the persuasive theses you've encountered.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

tinnitus photography wrote::lol: at Cole editing his initial post, and then getting all pissy about it when confronted about it.

Cole, if you've done extensive reading into the research on this topic, perhaps you'd like to show some of the persuasive theses you've encountered.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Wow, you miss a day, you miss a lot. Interesting to see an argument go down among a group of people, all of whom's opinions I generally respect.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm just amazed it took 474 pages of a thread with "shit" in the title to get a fecal reference

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote::lol: at Cole editing his initial post, and then getting all pissy about it when confronted about it.

Yeah I didn't realize at the time just how committed you were to this little crusade of yours. I knew what you wanted was for me to get mad because it seems to bug you when someone doesn't take the bait? Thus, the edit. But after more of the same I decided I had no reason to just take it with a grin on my face. As for being pissy, I've been laughing at how smart you think you are this entire time. :lol:

I realize from observing how you act anytime someone commits the sin of not agreeing with you whether it is not liking some band you and three other people like or this or whatever, they get talked to like they are the guy who runs the merry go round at the county fair.

Despite being in the minority politically here I've rarely ever had a run in with anybody. But there is a turd in every punch bowl and I guess you are it here.

I'll be happy to lay out why I don't believe we are all doomed to be burned to a crisp in the global warming Apocalypse when you explain to me how being a photographer makes you the foremost authority on this topic and gives you the reason to speak with such arrogance on that subject matter. I mean you wanted to know if I was hiding a PhD on the subject as if somehow that would be the only way I could know as much as you about this. So do you have a PhD in this or are you just a guy who takes pictures of stuff for a living and likes to act like a snooty little prick on the internet? I'm pretty sure I know the answer. And I aint impressed.

tinnitus photography

what are your thoughts on AI and astrophysics?

I actually don't do photography full time, and have an engineering degree from a respected school.

you might be a lot of things in your mind, but a mind reader ain't one of them in reality.

tinnitus photography

Cole Younger wrote:I'll be happy to lay out why I don't believe we are all doomed to be burned to a crisp in the global warming Apocalypse when you explain to me how being a photographer makes you the foremost authority on this topic and gives you the reason to speak with such arrogance on that subject matter.
see, i never claimed to be an expert and made the point multiple times that none of us are. except for you, i guess.
I don't believe that any of us are well-suited to understand and dissect the rigor of the science behind it.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

tinnitus photography wrote:what are your thoughts on AI and astrophysics?

I actually don't do photography full time, and have an engineering degree from a respected school.

you might be a lot of things in your mind, but a mind reader ain't one of them in reality.
Ah! So being an engineer makes you qualified to speak down to other people on climate change and act as if they can't possibly know enough to even be taken seriously. :D Too funny.

Apparently it doesn't make you smart enough to realize that this conversation started because you called me out by name wanting to hear what I thought and then acted shocked and like I had insulted your moma when I said something you didn't agree with. Then turned around and started saying g things like, "what are your thoughts on brain surgery?" Etc. Yet you somehow are still under the impression I insulted you and that you are somehow justified in such behavior. It's hilarious. And I still have no idea what you got so triggered for and started freaking out about.

What are your thoughts on the most effective ways to survive in the wilderness both in the short term and longer range? Your incomparable intelligence combined with what a rugged man's man you are should make this a real treat. And I know you've considered this since you are so certain civilization as we know it is on the precipice due to the global warming Apocalypse which the alarmists tell us will bring about some sort of Mad Max style doomsday scenario. School me engineer. :lol:
Last edited by Cole Younger on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.