The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: The Neverending Thread for Political Shit

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

From the Raleigh, NC News & Observer:

KKK announces North Carolina ‘victory’ parade

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i am not sure why, but i actually read the comments on that webpage.

wolf, read them. do you agree with them?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

Swamp wrote:Oh and go for it California.....................
I am not for CA seceding, but.....We would be the only state that could do it. We are 46th out of 50 in federal dependency, 6th largest economy in world. Would be nice to stop paying for states like MS, AL, LA, TN, KY, WV, GA. Again, not calling for secession, but since swamp brought it up, I would venture that the country needs CA more than CA needs the country

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-l ... ment/2700/
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Trump Thump
Chicago police said they are investigating an battery caught on video that stemmed from a traffic-related altercation — not from discussing politics.

whatwouldcooleydo?

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Day 1 in Trump's America
for those Trump people who feel this way (and I shouldn't have to say that I know all Trump people aren't like this* but I still did) and have kept it bottled up, to some extent, for a long time, his candidacy and now election give them full license to let it all out. I have little doubt, or at least I hope, that it's a big minority of his supporters/voters who feel like this, but that's the kicker: it doesn't take many to fuck shit up bigly

*=however, it can't be discounted that they were perfectly fine with voting for someone who is racist and was actively courting white supremacists for their votes
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
I am not for CA seceding, but.....We would be the only state that could do it. We are 46th out of 50 in federal dependency, 6th largest economy in world. Would be nice to stop paying for states like MS, AL, LA, TN, KY, WV, GA. Again, not calling for secession, but since swamp brought it up, I would venture that the country needs CA more than CA needs the country

I would agree. I've also seen the proposal for the state of Pacifica including the three coastal states plus nevada. I honestly believe that something like this will happen in the next 50 years but of course I won't be around to see it. The USA is unsustainable unless things change within the next decade. What I mean by that, before our more conservative friends get upset or think that I'm fomenting disolution of the union, is that a nation is difficult to sustain when there is such an ideological gap along geographical lines.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

I would agree. I've also seen the proposal for the state of Pacifica including the three coastal states plus nevada. I honestly believe that something like this will happen in the next 50 years but of course I won't be around to see it. The USA is unsustainable unless things change within the next decade. What I mean by that, before our more conservative friends get upset or think that I'm fomenting disolution of the union, is that a nation is difficult to sustain when there is such an ideological gap along geographical lines.

join the motherland of Clivenland!

whatwouldcooleydo?

tinnitus photography wrote:join the motherland of Clivenland!
I would let them "LaVoy" me before that :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Way too much of this the last two days. If Trump is even the slightest bit serious about unifying the country he needs to address this. I seriously doubt he will.

He did this. The Democrats allowed it. Not a lot of love in my heart today, well except for y'all of course.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/s ... liberalism

Not that I trust VOX a whole lot, but I thought this was an interesting read. I guess it speaks to what I've felt for a long time, there's a large portion of the country that feels like it's being talked down to constantly and if we're going to move forward
As a nation we need to learn to discuss rather than write off. I think a lot of these points can be made for both parties but in the context of the election the article does a good job of showing how the left alienated a lot of the working class. We've got a lot of bridges to build in the next four years.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

Iowan wrote: I live in the Driftless Area near the intersection of Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. It's an extremely rugged rural and isolated region. Obama won a ton of these counties in both 2008 and 2012. Trump won ALL of them.

What I'm seeing anecdotally is 2 factors explaining this:
1. Intense disdain for Hilary Clinton. I don't understand why the left is struggling to accept this.

2. Obamacare is absolutely hammering this area. For every person in this area who got affordable health care, there are 10 more facing a massive financial burden they didn't previously have.

The demographic hasn't changed. People who voted for a black man twice didn't suddenly become racist idiots. They are rejecting continued financial burden delivered by a leader whose lack of transparency and honesty is a more damning flaw than being an asshole in their eyes.
Goddamn Al - er - Iowan, I love the way you articulate yourself. The next time you come to a Rock Show you'd better get there early so I can buy you a beer. This is exactly what people saw across the entire non urban Midwest.
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:If Trump is even the slightest bit serious about unifying the country
I just hate this shit. Based on months and years of statements and conduct there is absolutely no reason to believe that Trump has any interest in unifying the country. How can anyone believe that? When did it become the thing that we're required to have amnesia and remember and believe only the last thing any public figure says? It was bizarre all campaign long and it's just out of control. Trump in particular hasn't earned that right.

Trump won the election. He gets the chance to implement his plans and policies, whatever they might be. And I absolutely hope they work (and by work I mean that life is better for everyone). It doesn't matter that I have my doubts or that I actually need to suspend disbelief for that to happen. But nothing requires that I believe the bullshit he spouts when it doesn't comport with anything and everything I know about the man.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well we can certainly see that Mr. Wolf is all for unifying the country.

Actually, i get the part about gloating over the well known people who made fun of even the possibility of Trump getting elected. People want to let off steam, people just want to gloat and say I told you so; fine, that's the way of the world and I have no doubt some Clinton supporters would have done the same if given the chance. It's not my preferred course of action, either giving or receiving, but it's not like i don't recognize the behavior as very human. But I don't really get what's funny about people crying because their candidate lost. And I really don't get showing them crying over a soundtrack of a baby crying, which is just plain weird to me. I guess it's intended to be cruel in a high school bullying kind of way but what the fuck do I know?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Good grief, Wolf. Even assuming the truth/accuracy of this video (never a sure thing, on any side), and in no way supporting the actions of those in the video, do you suggest that there's an equivalence between 1 incident and dozens or between violence initiated by those who perceive themselves to be licensed by the president elect of the united states as opposed to by those who perceive themselves threatened by the president elect of the united states?

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

beantownbubba wrote:

Actually, i get the part about gloating over the well known people who made fun of even the possibility of Trump getting elected. People want to let off steam, people just want to gloat and say I told you so; fine, that's the way of the world and I have no doubt some Clinton supporters would have done the same if given the chance. It's not my preferred course of action, either giving or receiving, but it's not like i don't recognize the behavior as very human. But I don't really get what's funny about people crying because their candidate lost. And I really don't get showing them crying over a soundtrack of a baby crying, which is just plain weird to me. I guess it's intended to be cruel in a high school bullying kind of way but what the fuck do I know?
humor. find a sense of it

whatwouldcooleydo?

the only thing worse than a troll is a troll who isn't even any good at it. If you're gonna do it, at least do it well.

Wolf, I served with Skankhunt42. I knew Skankhunt42. Skankhunt42 was a friend of mine. Wolf, you're no Skankhunt42.
Last edited by whatwouldcooleydo? on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

beantownbubba wrote:
Good grief, Wolf. Even assuming the truth/accuracy of this video (never a sure thing, on any side), and in no way supporting the actions of those in the video, do you suggest that there's an equivalence between 1 incident and dozens or between violence initiated by those who perceive themselves to be licensed by the president elect of the united states as opposed to by those who perceive themselves threatened by the president elect of the united states?
prove the "dozens" of other violent acts happened in the last 2 days

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:the only thing worse than a troll is a troll who isn't even any good at it. If you're gonna do it, at least do it well.

Wolf, I served with Skankhunt42. I knew Skankhunt42. Skankhunt42 was a friend of mine. Wolf, you're no Skankhunt42.
where? what restaurant?

whatwouldcooleydo?

Wolf wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:the only thing worse than a troll is a troll who isn't even any good at it. If you're gonna do it, at least do it well.

where?
the great Troll Trace war in Denmark

whatwouldcooleydo?

[quote="Barely_Oakely"]http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/s ... liberalism

Not that I trust VOX a whole lot/quote]

I'll see your Vox and raise you a Vox

Donald Trump’s presidency is going to be a disaster for the white working class

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

x2
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

x3

jr29

Post by jr29 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Plenty of people on both sides have behaved like ass hats for the entire campaign. Remember the lady Trump supporter who was pelted with eggs just because she was walking into a rally ?
When two candidates get into a back and forth about the size of one of their dicks and we don't see that as a reason for disqualification.....the behavior of voters isn't going to surprise me.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Even though I knew many people who thought this country was done for after Obama got elected I don't remember the republicans having any big protest. My nieghbor even had a stroke because of Obama (allegedly) On the way in this morning I heard a "girl" say " he's not our president, we're not going to make america great, we're going to make it horrible"
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Swamp wrote:Even though I knew many people who thought this country was done for after Obama got elected I don't remember the republicans having any big protest. My nieghbor even had a stroke because of Obama (allegedly) On the way in this morning I heard a "girl" say " he's not our president, we're not going to make america great, we're going to make it horrible"
you're on the verge of trolling :)

whatwouldcooleydo?

Swamp wrote:after Obama got elected I don't remember the republicans having any big protest.
certainly wasn't all Republicans, and it wasn't marching in the streets, but I'd say it was still a protest

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/11/obama.gun.sales/

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-m ... k-you-card

http://www.cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwy ... first-term

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wolf wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

humor. find a sense of it
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. I obviously need help.

Like I said, I get the comments about how Trump had no chance. I just don't see what's funny about people crying and the baby crying soundtrack over that just confuses me. OK, maybe explaining humor is an impossible task and maybe it means that I really am a cranky, humorless old fart but I'd like to get the joke.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Swamp wrote:Even though I knew many people who thought this country was done for after Obama got elected I don't remember the republicans having any big protest. My nieghbor even had a stroke because of Obama (allegedly) On the way in this morning I heard a "girl" say " he's not our president, we're not going to make america great, we're going to make it horrible"
I would say that the Senate Majority Leader saying "Our number one job is to make sure that Obama isn't re-elected is a pretty big protest, to say nothing of the many other things it was.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:This is a pretty good piece worth reading.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/09/trump ... tical-corr

As a young man in the eighties I often was taken to task for using terminology that was no longer in vogue. I referred to a group of women as "girls" once at a small gathering and a woman who I knew very well screamed at me and told me how I just demeaned every woman in the room. The next day she gave a book on modern feminism and told me I had a week to read it and she would then give me a quiz. I honestly can't remember if she ever followed through with the quiz but the incident stuck and I think I corrected ever person who used the word "girl" referring to adult women for 20 years until, yep you guessed it, WOMEN STARTED CALLING THEMSELVES GIRLS AGAIN. then I was told it was ok for women to say that but not men. The same woman lectured me on the use of the word "oriental" and I was sufficiently shamed to the point that I shamed others over the years. The government went so far as to ban the term from any official documents in 2012 but today most Asians are offended by it at all. They prefer Asian, but aren't going kill you for using the older term. My personality is such is that someone tells I'm doing something that might offend others I snap to it. I don't want to offend anyone so I change my behavior. Others aren't like me and simply won't change on a dime so easily and it's wrong to try to force them to. I think it's much different if you're talking about someone berating someone for their ethnicity, religion etc. and we should defend people who are being so berated, but the next time someone says something insensitive should we then berate them? Some of these people would never be disrespectful to, say, a person of color but they may in a more private setting say something out of the mainstream. Does that in and of itself make them a racist to be condemned? I mean there's a lot of nuance here and no easy answers but a lot of people who voted for Trump were tired of being told that they were bad people because of things they said. No easy answers but when people bemoan political correctness it would be better to have a conversation about it then shout at them. I've been guilty of this myself, I think we have to try to do better.
TC reading Reason. Awesome.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.